Thread: Nine inch nails – the downward spiral - book research

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nine inch nails – the downward spiral - book research

NINE INCH NAILS – THE DOWNWARD SPIRAL - BOOK RESEARCH

Hello all – I am writing a book about the seminal NIN album, The Downward Spiral – as part of my research I am keen to speak to fans of the band andd in particular this album.

THE PROJECT:

The book will be a deep exploration of the creation of the album and many of the themes behind it.

WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR:

-your reflections, thoughts and ideas about the album's meaning or themes.
    -what does the album mean to you, personally?
    -what/when was your experience of it – going to gigs, buying it when its first came out, finding it much later in life etc.
    -why do you think the album has endured and lasted with fans and as wider influence in music?
    -Do you have an opinion about accusations between the aggression and intensity of the music and whether this has any impact on real life events?
    -And any other points/things you think I could look into or research

THANK YOU to anyone who is interested in helping out for your time and for sharing.

Feel free to comment or email my work acccount direct: contact@adamsteiner.uk

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Hello - this needs to be over in the NIN forum. I'm moving this over there now. Thank you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Cool – I will look into the Warm Place sample – but you guys seem to have the mystery covered [it is a pure mystery!]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    be sure to look into the correlation between TDS and Hesitation Marks, since the latter mirrors the narrator of TDS and you can definitely see that throughout the lyrics (e.g. Mr. Self Destruct vs. Copy of A, Heresy vs. Find My Way and the little Closer references at the end of the live version of All Time Low).

I'd definitely be interested in giving my thoughts on the album but I'd have to take my time to organize them so it doesn't become a flood of personal reflections. I think of this album in almost a daily basis and am excited to hear of a book surrounding it - best luck for you!

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    >sheepdean's stream of consciousness

It has connected with fans because it's fucking good. Also, it represents a journey of a man in a depressive, suicidal and obsessive state which people can connect to on any part of their mental health journey, rather than focusing on just aggression or sadness as many similarly themed albums do.

♪Downward Spiral motif♪

Hersey is not anti-God or religion, Closer is not [just] about fucking, Big Man is critical of the attitudes represented. There are a couple of interviews that talk about the sampling done then which I love - and as a resource, try http://www.nin-pages.de/interviews.htm

The only album to be performed in its entirety live (and more than once), Soft Cell influence is fascinating as there's themes from Last Night In Sodom and a SC song was covered in single releases.

And, if at any point you find anything about Just Do It, hit a man up because that's a fascination for me. Also but lesser so The Beauty Of The Drug.

Piggy was Richard Patrick's nickname (apparently) so read into that as you will

The cover art is a painting called Wound

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mexicoler View Post
    be sure to look into the correlation between TDS and Hesitation Marks, since the latter mirrors the narrator of TDS and you can definitely see that throughout the lyrics (e.g. Mr. Self Destruct vs. Copy of A, Heresy vs. Find My Way and the little Closer references at the end of the live version of All Time Low).

I'd definitely be interested in giving my thoughts on the album but I'd have to take my time to organize them so it doesn't become a flood of personal reflections. I think of this album in almost a daily basis and am excited to hear of a book surrounding it - best luck for you!
    That's an interesting connection.

Feel free to email more thoughts.

Thank you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    >sheepdean's stream of consciousness

It has connected with fans because it's fucking good. Also, it represents a journey of a man in a depressive, suicidal and obsessive state which people can connect to on any part of their mental health journey, rather than focusing on just aggression or sadness as many similarly themed albums do.

♪Downward Spiral motif♪

Hersey is not anti-God or religion, Closer is not [just] about fucking, Big Man is critical of the attitudes represented. There are a couple of interviews that talk about the sampling done then which I love - and as a resource, try http://www.nin-pages.de/interviews.htm

The only album to be performed in its entirety live (and more than once), Soft Cell influence is fascinating as there's themes from Last Night In Sodom and a SC song was covered in single releases.

And, if at any point you find anything about Just Do It, hit a man up because that's a fascination for me. Also but lesser so The Beauty Of The Drug.

Piggy was Richard Patrick's nickname (apparently) so read into that as you will

The cover art is a painting called Wound

Great – thank you for sharing!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    And, if at any point you find anything about Just Do It, hit a man up because that's a fascination for me.
    The song was written for Nike under contract because of a big-bucks sponsorship. However, the company pulled out when they realised they didn't want to associate themselves with an album conceptually steeped in the worst parts of the human psyche.

More recently, in 2015 Shia LaBoeuf expressed relief that NIN had never used the title, as it would have been constantly juxtaposed with his carefully crafted meme video.

[/s]
    Last edited by katara; 06-06-2018 at 04:56 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    The song was written for Nike under contract because of a big-bucks sponsorship. However, the company pulled out when they realised they didn't want to associate themselves with an album conceptually steeped in the worst parts of the human psyche.

More recently, in 2015 Shia LaBoeuf expressed relief that NIN had never used the title, as it would have been constantly juxtaposed with his carefully crafted meme video.

[/s]
    Wow, thank you – that is some great hustle!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NIN –Downward Spiral Book View Post
    Wow, thank you – that is some great hustle!
    Just make sure you double-check your sources. There's plenty of trolling and misinformation out there (some may even be unintentional).

Just to clarify, everything in my previous post in this topic is fake.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    A few years ago I wrote a short piece on a different platform about the night that TDS (and Superunknown) was released.

https://mezzotempo.kinja.com/a-music...ght-1538441909

I’ll happily revisit or clarify or expand on that night if you’d like.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    "Just Do it" is an interesting point from the album... was it? wasn't it recorded?

Maybe you can interview Flood, who refused to record it on the first place...

Also you need to analyse the "pop-culture" influence from all the samples (Texas Chainsaw Massacre, THX 1138, Alien, etc...)

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post

[/s]
    wahahaha