Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Thread: God Break Down the Door - first single

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see
    He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
    He got the answers to ease my curiosity
    He dreamed up a god and called it Christianity

And I'm not going to post the lyrics to Terrible Lie (looks them up), but the song is all about how disappointed, betrayed, and used he felt at learning that god was a terrible lie.

If I had a few hours to spare (which I don't), I could give you a LONG list of nine inch nails songs that are anti-religion (mostly anti-christianity because he happens to live in the U.S., and those are the mythologies that are prevalent here).

After many generations of people living since the dawn of science, you would think that religion would be dead by now. When I reached the age of reason (around 13) and realized that god was a myth like the tooth fairy, I reasoned that most people would come to the conclusion when they reached their age of reason. Now I'm an adult, and can clearly see that there will ALWAYS be people who believe in man-made mythology as real. I've found that learning about reality, and how the universe came to be is far more awe-inspiring that the idea of a man with a fairy pixie-dust wand making everything appear.

If you didn't understand how the world really works, I couldn't imagine my life being that meaningful. It would be a blur of religion, psychics, miracles, apparitions, fortune tellers, astrologists, Bigfoot, homeopathy, chupacabras, angels, afterlife, etc, etc, etc. While all these things may seem interesting to some, they are all based on mythology and will never help you experience the REAL world as it really is.
    Being an Atheist doesn't mean anything negative. If anything, it means that the person may have better reasoning skills. But still, people are people and it doesn't matter what religion, or not you believe in, what gender, age, or nationality you are. A person can be good or bad regardless of what labels they fly. And you definitely do NOT need religion, nor god to be a good person.
    I am good without god.
    Last edited by atomobile; 05-28-2018 at 10:16 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Blah blah blah, this thread is getting stupid as fuck I keep opening it see if something relevant pops up but no, just stupid opinions on religion, really no one cares about anyone’s pro god /con god comments just lock this shit up is so stupid. Let’s get back to breaking down the door

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Tollefson View Post
    Blah blah blah, this thread is getting stupid as fuck I keep opening it see if something relevant pops up but no, just stupid opinions on religion, really no one cares about anyone’s pro god /con god comments just lock this shit up is so stupid. Let’s get back to breaking down the door

yeah no doubt. jesus.
    i'm sorry for my part in it in fact

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    OK class, let's open up the track in Adobe Audition or Sound Studio Pro or whatever, invert the polarity on one channel, and mix it down to mono. What do we hear? What's missing? What sounds are more prominent? How about those marimbas? How do you feel about the sax solo? Feel free to upload your remix here, and feel free to rap over this cheap instrumental version, since we're not getting any multitracks ever again!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I hope we don't have to wait long to hear the next song off this album. Waiting 3+ more weeks is gonna be a battle!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Tollefson View Post

Stupid opinions on religion? How can you have stupid opinions about something stupid? It's all stupidity. End of story. Now let's get back to the music!
    Last edited by streetman; 05-29-2018 at 01:17 AM.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    I have to support streetman, religion is the worst thing that even happened in man history, each time I see american presidents mentionning such ridiculous crap officially I cannot believe it. France showed the way ? errrr you missed a huge point : Freedom and no religion at all in government. Christ ? why the fuck should we care about this asshole, not mentionning his mother, the biggest unbelievable joke in history, and his girlfriend(s) the whore.
    Before the flood could have been interesting... except they did go interview the worst guru on earth... how on earth this asshole is knowing anything about something ?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Are you guys doing a competition how quickly you can get this thread to be locked or what?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The more I listen to God Break Down The Door, the more I feel as though the Option 30 part of Trent Reznor's psyche took over during the creation of the song.... it comes through in his singing.

Another thing I feel is that this song was assembled very quickly. And that was the intention. "Let's see how fast we can put together a song." AND "Let's create a striking contrast between the BPMs of the music and the singing."

Another striking contrast is between the free from sax and the repetitive synth and drums.

The strange thing is that the last part of the song falls into well-worn NIN song progressions. Maybe that was also intentional. For me it just really makes it a mess.

Overall, I interpret this song as an experimental detour....I hope... I hope the new LP is not full of "experiments" like this. For some of you, that would make you very happy.. not for me though... Give me more ADD VIOLENCE.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    **** ALERT : WHITE VINYL BAD WITCH ON SALE AGAIN ON MERCHBAR ****
    link here

Sorry not sure where to put it as LP threads are locked.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by afors View Post
    **** ALERT : WHITE VINYL BAD WITCH ON SALE AGAIN ON MERCHBAR ****
    link here

Sorry not sure where to put it as LP threads are locked.
    I caved and i bought it. At least it was only 20 bucks. Depending on which one sounds better, I will either trade in the black one once i get it, or keep both.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsChrisRoss View Post
    I caved and i bought it. At least it was only 20 bucks. Depending on which one sounds better, I will either trade in the black one once i get it, or keep both.
    I f-ing missed it again..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_k_f View Post
    Don't worry I have a feeling 'Limited' isn't actually limited. Remember Deviations?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by quietime View Post
    Don't worry I have a feeling 'Limited' isn't actually limited. Remember Deviations?
    ugh, I sure do... Limited amount of damage free sleeves.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    ugh, I sure do... Limited amount of damage free sleeves.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    OK class, let's open up the track in Adobe Audition or Sound Studio Pro or whatever, invert the polarity on one channel, and mix it down to mono. What do we hear? What's missing? What sounds are more prominent? How about those marimbas? How do you feel about the sax solo? Feel free to upload your remix here, and feel free to rap over this cheap instrumental version, since we're not getting any multitracks ever again!
    I wanted to hear how it would sound over a swing beat, so I made my own a capella (plus iPad Mellotron XL) version really quickly yesterday in Audition. Two takes, one for loop and lead vocal, then a second pass for harmonies and fingersnaps. Really quick mixdown/nip tuck for timing and... done. Listened back today, and though it's still not quite in time, I forgot some of the words, and my voice goes flat in places, I'm surprised it turned out as well as it did.
    Last edited by botley; 05-29-2018 at 01:31 PM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Keep in mind two things:

1) I've already seen this mentioned, it might NOT be that limited. Who knows how many times this site will open back up to continue taking orders. It could just be a huge marketing ploy, although I would like to hope its not.

2) This is through a merch store that is NOT the NIN.com store. Last experience I had with something like this (SANDBAG) it was a disaster. Who knows when we will actually receive these.

I am keeping my expectations super low on this. If it was a lot of money, I would care a LOT more, but seeing as it was only 20.00 (25.00 after tax and shipping I believe) I am not concerned.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    So, is God an EP or an LP?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Keep in mind two things:

1) I've already seen this mentioned, it might NOT be that limited. Who knows how many times this site will open back up to continue taking orders. It could just be a huge marketing ploy, although I would like to hope its not.

Well...the original email did say it was "ONLY LIMITED TO 2,500 COPIES"...so there's that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardo View Post
    So, is God an EP or an LP?
    god is just a copyofacopyofacopy, available in both 8-track and cassette!

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Well...the original email did say it was "ONLY LIMITED TO 2,500 COPIES"...so there's that.
    Yeah, I would agree with you. Like I said, I would HOPE its not a marketing ploy, but I always think back to how Deviations was billed as extremely limited. Guess we will see!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    pretty sure the only reason it went back up for pre-order at all is because they (rightfully) canceled the original orders on people who tried to get 3-9 copies a piece

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hologram parade View Post
    pretty sure the only reason it went back up for pre-order at all is because they (rightfully) canceled the original orders on people who tried to get 3-9 copies a piece
    Probably true. Their system was weird in that although restricted to two copies per customer it actually allowed you to add whatever qty you wanted, but then in very small print somewhere said anybody ordering more than two would be refunded. Weird way to work! I guess a software limitation or something.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    I do find it slightly odd though, that until now with this new release, I cant think of any other NIN color vinyl release (I am not including pic discs). I wonder what changed? Does Trent have a say in this release, or was this done pretty much without his consent?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hologram parade View Post
    Hologram Parade, I just noticed your USR name. I definitely follow you on Instagram if you go by the same name. Keep up the good posts and good work! @hologram parade

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I do find it slightly odd though, that until now with this new release, I cant think of any other NIN color vinyl release (I am not including pic discs). I wonder what changed? Does Trent have a say in this release, or was this done pretty much without his consent?
    Must have been a record company arrangement with Spotify. Band knew about it becasue they tweeted that they'd all sold out real fast. Wish it had been part of the deluxe packages on NIN.com though.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I can understand it not being included as part of the deluxe package. Most colored vinyl (if not all of it?) is noticeably noisier and/or distorted than the black vinyl I have. I know colored vinyl has become kind of a standard perk for reissues and limited runs but I'm assuming that's because so many people just buy it for the art/display aspect. But I've never had a colored vinyl that sounded great.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    I can understand it not being included as part of the deluxe package. Most colored vinyl (if not all of it?) is noticeably noisier and/or distorted than the black vinyl I have. I know colored vinyl has become kind of a standard perk for reissues and limited runs but I'm assuming that's because so many people just buy it for the art/display aspect. But I've never had a colored vinyl that sounded great.
    idunno, most of my colored vinyl sounds absolutely fine. clear is actually the default color for vinyl (and i think it almost always sounds the best) so even black vinyl has technically been colored.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

God Break Down the Door - first single

Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    idunno, most of my colored vinyl sounds absolutely fine. clear is actually the default color for vinyl (and i think it almost always sounds the best) so even black vinyl has technically been colored.
    Maybe the 10 or so colored vinyl I have are just mediocre-to-bad pressings? The colored vinyl I have is a small percentage of my actual collection so *shrug*. (I actually heard that about clear vinyl after buying a Beauty Pill record ... I did not realize black was not the default color of the material.)

... Anyway when are the people who didn't wait online for six hours gonna get to hear Ahead of Ourselves. I hate that we're not *all talking about this song*.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Can't say I've noticed the correlation and I have quite a few albums on coloured vinyl, but maybe my setup isn't audiophile enough. I have had quite a few bad soundling recordings on black vinyl though but I do have a lot more black vinyl much of which is from 40 years ago!