Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: God Break Down the Door - first single

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    whoa, what? what's wrong with y'all? i love that song! it has always made me think of the myst games, for some reason...
    Just so fucking repetitive. Whenever I listen to the album, I like that track for 1-2 minutes, and then before long my enjoyment quickly deteriorates to, "why the fuck is this still going on?" I like everything else going on behind the melody loop, though.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The more I listen to it, the more I pick up on small details. Such a fun track. May sound repetitive but there are small changes in the distortion as the track increases. A spiritual successor to 'Driver Down' in some ways.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The only downside to big speakers and new NIN is neighbors. Only a matter of time before there's a complaint

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by becomingtom View Post
    Any way to be able to play this on an iPhone? My computer isn’t working ��
    You should prolly get yourself a sikk pair of A2's bro. Maybe @streetman can hook you up. Did you know he listened to the new song through a pair of A2 speakers?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    It was originally recorded for a greatest hits album, so it doesnt really fit into any narrative from HM. It was basically tacked on there
    I thought he was referring to the new track not Everything. My mistake. I was referring to GBDTD.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    You should prolly get yourself a sikk pair of A2's bro. Maybe @streetman can hook you up. Did you know he listened to the new song through a pair of A2 speakers?
    My mistake. I meant A5 speakers. That's what I got.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    I think the post-Fragile era led us to start believing all NIN was going to sound roughly the same. Every album has major exceptions (All The Love In The World, My Violent Heart, Demon Seed, etc.), but there's been a lot of "safe" NIN since 2005, even if the overall sound of the albums has been drastically different. Hesitation Marks was a pretty new sound for the band, but most of the songs were verse-chorus-verse-chorus followed by a bridge and/or long outro. So far the trilogy has had some of that (NIN always does), but as you stated, we seem to finally be getting NIN that challenges us like it used to in the old days.
    I remember perceiving Hesitation Marks as a more expansive, mature PHM on first listen – there was a strong updated synth-pop with dance and/or rock vibe on most of the tracks, whereas With Teeth and The Slip were very heavily loaded with what came across as almost conventional rock tunes, occasionally with a dance foundation. But there was a contemplative nature to the tracks that I enjoyed. I still feel like HM is part of the era where it is slightly under-produced when compared to my favorite era, but it's an improvement. I did not ever expect to love NIN again as much as I have been doing since the end of 2016.

I don't know if I totally felt like NIN was safe or completely conventional during 2005-2008, but I think I understand what you mean. It was definitely safer that NIN should have been. There was some dirtiness, some texture, some kind depth missing. Even on something like Ghosts, there wasn't the same level of sound design as there was on TDS or parts of The Fragile, and so, as ambitious as it was in some ways, it fell flat for me. I always felt like I "understood" the songs during this era very quickly, while with plenty of things from 1992-2002, I'd have to take awhile to wrap my head around it.

Hopefully we get a full quality release of this by the end of the week, which bands tend to do if a track has leaked.

Cheers, Toadflax.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Fuuuuuuck! To listen or not to listen?!?! I’m seeing them nights 2 & 3 in Vegas! Don’t think I can hold out for the next month!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by streetman View Post
    My mistake. I meant A5 speakers. That's what I got.
    A5 are great but have ye got a sub?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

God Break Down the Door - first single

I wonder if Trent is singing in this ethereal way for the majority of this song because he's addressing GOD in a mocking "heavenly" manner lol. I don't know where the fuck this is going and that's why it's great!
    I think Trenty boy believes in God, so I don't believe it's meant as mockery. Which I'm fine with. If he can make music at the level that he does, maybe there's something to it, even though I'm a skeptic.

“Do you believe in God?

I do. I take comfort in thinking there’s some purpose and higher power of some sort. I’m not affiliated with any particular religion but that gives me some sense of comfort. I’ve had some dark days through the years and been through some shit that makes me think there is some reason here and it’s beyond just physics and biology.”

from here: http://www.theskinny.co.uk/music/int...s-trent-reznor
    Last edited by Pbgut; 05-16-2018 at 06:35 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    I think Trenty boy believes in God, so I don't believe it's meant as mockery. Which I'm fine with. If he can make music at the level that he does, maybe there's something to it, even though I'm a skeptic.

“I do. I take comfort in thinking there’s some purpose and higher power of some sort. I’m not affiliated with any particular religion but that gives me some sense of comfort. I’ve had some dark days through the years and been through some shit that makes me think there is some reason here and it’s beyond just physics and biology.”

http://www.theskinny.co.uk/music/int...s-trent-reznor
    Don't believe it's mockery? Have you not listened to the multiple NIN songs bashing god and religion? No offense but mocking and subverting the status quo is kind of what NN is all about.

"...thinking there's some purpose and higher power of some sort." isn't a belief in "GOD". Hope you can get the difference.
    Last edited by streetman; 05-16-2018 at 06:13 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    All I hear is Laurel.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

God Break Down the Door - first single

Don't believe it's mockery? Have you not listened to the multiple NIN songs bashing god and religion? No offense but mocking and subverting the status quo is kind of what NN is all about.

"...thinking there's some purpose and higher power of some sort." isn't a belief in "GOD". Hope you can get the difference.
    The question in the article is specifically:

ASK TRENT

Brody Dalle: T-Dog, do you believe in God?

To which he replies, "I do."

Also, there are songs on HM (specifically Find My Way), where the narrator refers to prayer.

I am aware of songs attacking the idea of organized religion, but they're all older songs, and in any case, you can still believe in some kind of deity even if you hate or question the dogmatic aspects of a church.

I don't really know if NIN has really been explicitly about subverting the status quo since The Downward Spiral, either. There's a kind of young person's usual rebellious attitude all over their earlier material but I don't hear it too much afterwards — starting with The Fragile it seems more like raging and despairing at betrayals of the self by the self, disappointments in relationships and regular ol' depression. Year Zero came out when at least half the country was dismayed by what was going on politically.

Anyway, take it up with that interview! I don't wanna drag down the thread with God talk. But he's definitely just crooning like Bowie.
    Last edited by Pbgut; 05-16-2018 at 06:27 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I....

Crap. I don't like it. That's unbelievably rare for me when it comes to this band. Then I listened to the snippet of Ahead of Ourselves, and...fuck, didn't quite get into that either.

Uh-oh.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by quietime View Post
    All I hear is Laurel.
    Weird.

I hear “Yanny.”

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)

I have been to every place
    I have been to everywhere
    I'm just trying to find my way
    Oh dear Lord hear my prayer

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    I have been to every place
    I have been to everywhere
    I'm just trying to find my way
    Oh dear Lord hear my prayer
    Yep. I don't know why they think an atheist would bother to write a song like "Terrible Lie" or "Heresy," which are both more about having your faith tested or betrayed by religious dogma and the actions of a religious community (specifically with Heresy) than rejecting the spiritual in its entirety.

And then we have this song, which seems to be a prayer in its entirety in its lyrical content.

I really wish I could understand religious faith or spiritual beliefs. It seems like it's a comfort for many. I'm glad he has it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I....

Crap. I don't like it. That's unbelievably rare for me when it comes to this band. Then I listened to the snippet of Ahead of Ourselves, and...fuck, didn't quite get into that either.

Uh-oh.
    You’re not alone... Trent shouldn’t release this LP.... We can wait. After NTAE and AV, we deserve the real 3rd EP...... not this tangent... not this....abomination.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Newman View Post
    You’re not alone... Trent shouldn’t release this LP.... We can wait. After NTAE and AV, we deserve the real 3rd EP...... not this tangent... not this....abomination.

I think I'm just going to wait until NIN puts the track back up officially to have a listen.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    What in the actual fuck was that?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Feels like something straight out of Lost Highway

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    If he screamed or shouted the lyrics, it would be a much better song. I have no issues with the music, just the horrid high pitched vocal take
    I dunno, there’s that awfully generic electronic drum beat to begin the song (and pretty much goes to the end) that sounds like a it came from a free a free Apple app (only $0.99 for the ad free version), and it sounds like a Cure radio hit. RE: his voice. crackles during the beginning too; and the end... if there are unicorns out there, and they fart, he got a recording of it and stuck it there just to fuck with us.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Oh you've heard the whole thing? How is it?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    When a musician tries something unexpected, whether it be stylistically or lyrically, I've always found it extremely disrespectful to categorize it under satire or sarcasm just to fit your own personal view of things. It happens with all big musicians, but I find it happens virtually every time that NIN releases anything. Imagine how it would feel to sing differently than you normally do (still in key, still hitting all the notes) and have someone say it's so ridiculous it must be mocking or satirical. Not even that someone isn't a fan, but that they think it is intentionally bad. Imagine that you poured your soul out into a lyric, revising over and over till you're sure it's good enough to let people hear, and then one of them thinks that you are joking about it; that the lyric is intentionally funny. I think that the only thing worse than how disrespectful that is, is how embarrassing it is for everyone else to read. Someone could come on here and say that Find My Way is mocking the conservative Christian view of the world, or that A Minute to Breathe is mocking liberal tears and the belief of global warming, but in neither case have they critiqued the song or changed its meaning; they've just let everyone know that their world view will affect their interpretation of everything they encounter. I'm not trying to be mean or single anyone out, this is just something that's happened on this board for over a decade, and I feel very strongly about it. It's okay to not agree with artistic decisions, or think it would be better another way, but when you start putting words in their mouths to align them to your beliefs, it's just awkward for everyone involved.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Oh you've heard the whole thing? How is it?
    It's an abomination my dear friend...

Listen #2:

Fuck you Trent. This always happens with NIN.... (post 2000)... I absolutely hate it at first...and then.... FUCK.. Now I am starting to like the singing... and what I don't like is the ending which sounds so NIN cliché..

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)

Listen #2:

Fuck you Trent. This always happens with NIN.... (post 2000)... I absolutely hate it at first...and then.... FUCK.. Now I am starting to like the singing... and what I don't like is the ending which sounds so NIN cliché..
    Sounds to me like you've heard a track, and not an album. And yet ask that the whole album be canned based on one short track.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Listen #2:

You seem to have extremely, passionately strong opinions that can be swayed very, very easily.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papagolash View Post
    What in the actual fuck was that?
    ???... (you describing the song?)

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Listen #2:
    Wait, so your "abomination" comment / definitive take on the track was after only one listen?

Yeah, Trent doesn't make music for people like you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    When a musician tries something unexpected, whether it be stylistically or lyrically, I've always found it extremely disrespectful to categorize it under satire or sarcasm just to fit your own personal view of things. It happens with all big musicians, but I find it happens virtually every time that NIN releases anything. Imagine how it would feel to sing differently than you normally do (still in key, still hitting all the notes) and have someone say it's so ridiculous it must be mocking or satirical. Not even that someone isn't a fan, but that they think it is intentionally bad. Imagine that you poured your soul out into a lyric, revising over and over till you're sure it's good enough to let people hear, and then one of them thinks that you are joking about it; that the lyric is intentionally funny. I think that the only thing worse than how disrespectful that is, is how embarrassing it is for everyone else to read. Someone could come on here and say that Find My Way is mocking the conservative Christian view of the world, or that A Minute to Breathe is mocking liberal tears and the belief of global warming, but in neither case have they critiqued the song or changed its meaning; they've just let everyone know that their world view will affect their interpretation of everything they encounter. I'm not trying to be mean or single anyone out, this is just something that's happened on this board for over a decade, and I feel very strongly about it. It's okay to not agree with artistic decisions, or think it would be better another way, but when you start putting words in their mouths to align them to your beliefs, it's just awkward for everyone involved.
    Good Lord. Stop grandstanding and feeling disrespected on Trent's behalf.

NIN isn't some sacred cow.