Likes Likes:  0
Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Headphones

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Headphones

I currently own the Audio Technica ATH-M50(S)...pretty damn great sound overall, basically what I was looking for, but unfortunately they're really, really uncomfortable on the top of my head in what seems like no time... I gotta find a replacement. Starting with the comfort point.

So far I've been looking to this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/566786/comf...0-alternatives

What do you audiophiles think? I'm willing to go as high as $200, but I'd rather not.

Also, I'd really prefer a replacement to be collapsible/portable like the ATH-M50 is.
    Last edited by Amaro; 12-17-2011 at 07:40 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I use Sony MDR-7506 at work when I'm testing mics, DIs, etc. Not the absolute best sounding headphones in the world, but very respectable for the price (around $100), and collapsible. I've also used them in a pinch when doing IEM mixes, and they've sounded fine.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    The Sennheiser HD-598's are probably the best you're going to get out of that price point. They're not collapsible, however, and some people complain about their styling (I happen to like it).

I also recommend AKG (again, some people don't like their styling) and if you're looking for in-ear headphones you can't go wrong with Shure

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    I bought a pair of slightly used Sennheiser HD-595 headphones for $100 on Craigslist - with the box & everything. I had a pair of HD-500 headphones that I bought a decade ago that were kinda fuzzing out. After I got the new headphones, I got up the gumption to open the old ones, and it turned out there was a cat hair touching the speaker bit. Still -- when I'd bought those a decade ago, I thought they were fantastic. Like lifting a layer of felt off of my ears. The 595s, compared to the 500s, have the same effect! I don't know if that's because of the use and age of my old headphones, or just years of technological advance improving the sound, but I'm glad I bought the new headphones, even if my old set wasn't actually busted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    After researching a little I decided to go with the Bower & Wilkins P5 headphones. I won't actually have them in my position until I'm holiday next month, but I'm looking forward to listening to music on them. Currently I'm using my dad's Beats in-ear headphones and they aren't really very good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm currently rocking the Alessandor MS-1's and enjoy them a lot, but I'd like to add the Grado 325's or the PS-500's to my collection at some point I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rémy View Post
    After researching a little I decided to go with the Bower & Wilkins P5 headphones. I won't actually have them in my position until I'm holiday next month, but I'm looking forward to listening to music on them. Currently I'm using my dad's Beats in-ear headphones and they aren't really very good.
    PHENOMENAL headphones, I've got a pair and I wouldn't trade them for anything... in the world.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i have a pair of the klipsitch s4s, and i quite like them, outside of the overabundance of bass (i eq it out on my ipod). not sure why in-ear buds can't get the balance between paper thin tone and bass extreme correct, but these come pretty close with just a little tweaking. can't do the large, non compact headphones except to dj, as they are clunky and awkward for city living.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'm thinking on getting the Sennheiser PX 200-II, but I still am quite undecided about them.
    I want a headphone that's collapsible because I commute by bus multiple times every day but still want more than a decent sound out of them.
    Anyone think this is a good choice, or are there any other recommendations? My budget is around € 100 or $ 130.

Thank you.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    You might want to invest in a decent DAC/external soundcard if you're bothering with 'audiophile'-type headphones like Grados and Sennheisers. Using them on an iPod defeats the purpose, might as well just use some $30 earbuds with decent bass response.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks for the information. Didn't know iPods had such lackluster soundcards. I'll search the internets for a DAC/external soundcard. Doesn't that drain much of the battery?

Edit: Ok my mind is already blown by the shitload of said info. Would you maybe care to elaborate? Thanks!
    Last edited by profane; 12-21-2011 at 03:25 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emptydesk View Post
    You might want to invest in a decent DAC/external soundcard if you're bothering with 'audiophile'-type headphones like Grados and Sennheisers. Using them on an iPod defeats the purpose, might as well just use some $30 earbuds with decent bass response.
    That is not entirely true, I had Sennheiser HD 595 and they did sound nice with iPad/iPhone. Also, the PX 200-II are said to be optimized for all mp3 player (iPod, iPhone) so they are just fine.
    Reference: http://www.sennheiserusa.com/on-ear-...dphones_502817

Of course with a decent DAC the headphones will sound better, in that matter, with headphone amp they will sound even better (higher-end headphones), but the iPod/iPad/iPhone doesn't sound bad at all with 'audiophile'-type headphones.

Quote Originally Posted by profane View Post
    Thanks for the information. Didn't know iPods had such lackluster soundcards. I'll search the internets for a DAC/external soundcard. Doesn't that drain much of the battery?

Edit: Ok my mind is already blown by the shitload of said info. Would you maybe care to elaborate? Thanks!
    Very good place for information about these things are Head-FI: http://www.head-fi.org
    I suggest researching/posting there, people are really helpful there.
    Last edited by Ax Mr. L; 12-22-2011 at 10:59 AM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I have had 2 pairs of the sennheiser HD555. Without a doubt the best bang for the buck. I got my pair for 99 dollars and worth every penny

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thank you very much, I'll head over there!

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I got a pair of these for Christmas. I'm well aware of Skullcandy's reputation, but I'm more than happy with them. Big step up from my $5 Wal*Mart earbuds.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emptydesk View Post
    eek... did you mispeak or is this your opinion or...

Sennheiser, Grados, blahblahblah etc. do not exclusively make headphones for "audiophiles". They certainly have headphones with the "audiophile" label attached, but that is less than 10 percent of these companies total product lines. Comments like these (all over the internet) give newcomers the false impression that they have to go through some ritual/meet some requirement to be "part of the club". Being an "audiophile" is not a club, it's a way of listening to music and paying attention to physics and mathematics and how it all interacts/relates (in a nutshell).

I do not need a pair of Sennheiser HD 800's to be an audiophile; having a pair of Sennheiser HD 800's does not automatically make me an audiophile.

And then, there's the whole iDevice debate. Most of these companies "purpose" is to make quality headphones/products, it has nothing to do with (again) being exclusive and using them on such and such device. I agree that it "defeats the purpose" if you're spending 300+ dollars on a pair of headphones ONLY for an iPod or whatever.

If you're ultimately implying there's no gain between using, say Sennheiser HD 595's over a pair of "default" apple earbuds when played back through an iDevice you're wrong.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I ended up keeping my Audio Technica ATH-M50s. They're not uncomfortable after I found a good spot to adjust them at...didn't bother me in an hour session.

Still, I may try to customize them with some more cushion under the headband.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    eek... did you mispeak or is this your opinion or...

Sennheiser, Grados, blahblahblah etc. do not exclusively make headphones for "audiophiles". They certainly have headphones with the "audiophile" label attached, but that is less than 10 percent of these companies total product lines. Comments like these (all over the internet) give newcomers the false impression that they have to go through some ritual/meet some requirement to be "part of the club". Being an "audiophile" is not a club, it's a way of listening to music and paying attention to physics and mathematics and how it all interacts/relates (in a nutshell).

I do not need a pair of Sennheiser HD 800's to be an audiophile; having a pair of Sennheiser HD 800's does not automatically make me an audiophile.

And then, there's the whole iDevice debate. Most of these companies "purpose" is to make quality headphones/products, it has nothing to do with (again) being exclusive and using them on such and such device. I agree that it "defeats the purpose" if you're spending 300+ dollars on a pair of headphones ONLY for an iPod or whatever.

If you're ultimately implying there's no gain between using, say Sennheiser HD 595's over a pair of "default" apple earbuds when played back through an iDevice you're wrong.
    I didn't say anything that you're replying to here. I'm not trying to exclude anyone from anything. I don't know why I'm being lectured to like I tried to define what is and isn't an audiophile.

What I mean is that iPods typically have poor DACs and built-in EQs, it's not really worth the effort to get >$100 headphones in pursuit of nuance and accurate representation in this manner. You're using something portable, often in a noisy environment. Might was well get some decent earbuds with good bass response and be done with it, and save the nicer stuff for home listening or controlled environments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fritzon View Post
    PHENOMENAL headphones, I've got a pair and I wouldn't trade them for anything... in the world.
    I've been listening to music on my B&W P5s for a few days now and wow. I didn't know headphones could be this good. Worth every last penny.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rémy View Post
    I've been listening to music on my B&W P5s for a few days now and wow. I didn't know headphones could be this good. Worth every last penny.
    I know, they are rad (and good looking.) Last week I actually trashed all my old mp3-files and re-ripped all of my CDs in FLAC-format. Hell of a job but well worth it.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Hi folks, I'm looking for advice on a set of headphones, not inner-ear, to be used daily on commutes (noisy environment), in conjunction with mp3 players (Sandisk Sansa Fuze v2 and a Sandisk Sansa Fuze+, both running the rock box firmware).

I own a pair of AKG 512's, which I like the audio quality of (possibly a bit bass-heavy) but are a bit too leaky for commuting.

I'd be happy with something of similar quality, but which was a bit kinder to my fellow passengers.

Given the environment is noisy, noise-cancelling is a possibility... on the other hand, I'd rather not spend too much on this pair (AKG 512 is about 40 dollars I think / 25 quid UK), instead I'll probably buy a better pair for home listening at some point.

Many thanks for any tips.