Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad Witch LP - new album out 6/22/2018

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Star View Post
    Show me an official release of the cd.
    Show me how I can get a ticket to a show in a city I don't live in. I am not paying scalpers kind of defeats TR's purpose.
    And check out FB, you will see how many people can buy vinyl and listen to it.

Like I said people on this board of course are majority vinyl listeners but I find it very difficult to believe that millennials are running out to the local store buying stereos and vinyl.
    well, they are. Have you seems RSD lines?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    You don't have a turntable, CD player or digital music player?

In that case, can I buy your wax cylinder player? Been after one
    I have a cd player, 3 in fact, however, I have yet to see an official release of a CD. The official release from TR himself is vinyl. I am not buying form some online store I never heard of. Unless it is from NIN.com or Amazon verified, not interested in something that may not be official. Last i checked there were no cds for the first two right? It was all downloads or vinyl? So, why would there be a CD now? Just because some website claims to be selling it? Well according to TR on NIN.com all there is, is vinyl.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    The vinyl mission statement has been up there since NTAE came out. At the time, there was no CD or plans for one. Then months later there was. And so too did Add Violence get one. This will be no different.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    WORST WITCH:

Can we get a NIN cover of Anything Can Happen on Halloween?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Bad Witch LP - new album out 6/22/2018

I'd be interested to know if Gen Z (I think I'm a millennial, though almost as old as you can be as a millennial) is buying vinyl. I'm guessing eventually vinyl will die out too, unless kids like 21 and younger are buying it. (I really hate the idea of there never being physical releases like, suddenly, when I'm middle aged, but I'm guessing it'll happen.)

That said, I barely had any vinyl as a teenager. NIN was one of my earlier vinyl purchases as a semi-autonomous teenager. I didn't even have that many but it was fun to have a giant copy of the artwork and to have something to stare at even if I just listened on CD or on the computer. I now have at least 300 records.

I generally notice that if I'm sitting near my turntable, not distracted by anything, I do engage more with the music. It tends to be background music if I'm half-paying attention to it while I'm on my phone. So I actually feel like the vinyl statement is ... not ridiculous. It could work for CDs but I haven't had a CD player in forever since they're just lossless files on a disc.

Let NIN be your gateway to buying a big ass cardboard poster with some floppy joy frisbees inside. You can still get the CD from Rough Trade and probably nearly everywhere else. Today's a great day.
    Last edited by Pbgut; 05-10-2018 at 10:05 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    capitol records released AV on CD and Universal released NTAE on CD. both were great quality packaging and matched the vinyl artwork and layouts. also they were each around $10 in the US.
    Last edited by snichols; 05-10-2018 at 10:02 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    The vinyl mission statement remains one of the most hilariously pretentious things ever wafted upon us by King Trent

It's super cool that we're hashing out Vinyl vs CD in this thread. I'm glad we are finally getting around to covering this neglected issue.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I have a cd player, 3 in fact, however, I have yet to see an official release of a CD. The official release from TR himself is vinyl. I am not buying form some online store I never heard of. Unless it is from NIN.com or Amazon verified, not interested in something that may not be official. Last i checked there were no cds for the first two right? It was all downloads or vinyl? So, why would there be a CD now? Just because some website claims to be selling it? Well according to TR on NIN.com all there is, is vinyl.
    Not The Actual Events: $7.99 https://amzn.to/2rz4xxT
    Add Violence: $6.98 https://amzn.to/2rz3AFb

It literally was announced today, not every link is live yet. And nin.com only sells vinyl, which is why there's no CD there.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    The vinyl mission statement remains one of the most hilariously pretentious things ever wafted upon us by King Trent

It's super cool that we're hashing out Vinyl vs CD in this thread. I'm glad we are finally getting around to covering this neglected issue.
    I think it's mostly being hashed out in the context of "why is this other person upset/bitching?" the most pressing and eternal question of all civilizations and message boards since the dawn of time.

But more seriously, I feel like the vinyl statement basically amounts to "please don't treat my musc as background music. Engage with it like you would if you didn't have more tech in front of you than I ever thought possible when I made half of this." That's all. It's maybe worded in a certain way that seems to irritate a lot of people but I think the underlying message is sincere and understandable.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    Wellll true. But the HLAH US single is album length, and has three songs represented, so it basically counts, for me. (And we've got remixes for Sin from the era too).

TDS still has the most tracks remixed, as far as I know.

And yes ... there really should have been a remix volume of Definitive. Closer To God was my introduction to NIN, and the remix albums were a huge part of my TDS listening experience. I'd die if FTDS came out on vinyl. I literally used to have dreams about finding a vinyl copy of it as a kid.
    Closer to God was my first Nails CD. I 'borrowed' it from my younger brother who bought it by accident thinking it was something else. I've been hooked ever since.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Love the artwork posted. I am happy Trent and Atticus finished these 3 ep's up. I would of been bummed if they ditched it to release a whole different LP.
    I am interested in it's conclusion.
    Does anyone else sorta laugh at the first track being called Shit Mirror? I am sure it will be awesome, it just made me laugh.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Closer to God was my first Nails CD. I 'borrowed' it from my younger brother who bought it by accident thinking it was something else. I've been hooked ever since.
    As I said, mine too, but some more detail: My grandmother bought it for me when I was almost 10 and I listened to it all day. I will never forget hearing the opening of Closer to God on my Gateway 2000. I later moved the disc to my parents stereo; it was too mind blowing to listen to on tiny speakers. I had never heard anything like that — in a strange way those remixes for me were like truly psychedelic music. How else would I have heard Coil in suburban NJ before the internet as a child than via Trent Reznor?

There were some sounds on the last NIN remixes that sounded oddly like a screen door creaking to my untrained 9 year old ears. I knew my mom would not be happy when she came home, as she didn't approve of NIN and I kept anxiously waiting for her to come home. Later that day, my mom confiscated the CD (she thought the lyrics were too offensive) and I had to resort to secretly dubbing NIN cassettes from friends for a year until she finally came around on it. Aaaand here we are 24 years later.
    Last edited by Pbgut; 05-10-2018 at 10:25 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Behold my latest creation: Bad Sandwich
    featuring the hits: “I found this behind the radiator”, and “the mayonnaise is starting to turn”

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Broken is only on vinyl on the website so clearly it has never and will never be on CD

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    I have yet to see an official release of a CD. The official release from TR himself is vinyl. I am not buying form some online store I never heard of. Unless it is from NIN.com or Amazon verified, not interested in something that may not be official. Last i checked there were no cds for the first two right? It was all downloads or vinyl? So, why would there be a CD now?
    Not The Actual Events: $7.99 https://amzn.to/2rz4xxT
    Add Violence: $6.98 https://amzn.to/2rz3AFb

It literally was announced today, not every link is live yet. And nin.com only sells vinyl, which is why there's no CD there.
    So wait, your whole point was you were upset you couldn't listen to new NIN on CD and you didn't realize the first 2 EPs were on CD? Or did you think that because they weren't being sold on nin.com they were what? Bootlegs? You're either oblivious or... special. It's blatantly obvious, given the vinyl mission statement and the lack of CDs being sold on the official store, that CD isn't a priority for TR. But alas they definitely exist... like EVERY SINGLE OTHER Nine Inch Nails album since '89. Christ man.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I can't believe that there is someone complaining the day that a full ALBUM, not an EP as expected, but a full ALBUM is announced about a cd not being made available yet. Like, calm down dude. Not every site has links up yet. You can bitch and moan after June 22nd about the lack of a CD.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I don't totally understand it but there's this weird feeling of elitism people are getting from the vinyl thing. Vinyl is sold at Barnes and Noble now. It's the least hipster, exclusive thing ever. Amazon sells them in special mailers. My parents were schoolteachers and I live in the suburbs with them and I still love vinyl. I'm not sure what the vinyl angst is about really - it's more than just "I don't have a record player" and I don't get it.

(Also: cassettes are the true hipster format these days, though that may be waning. And also most of the hipster millenials I knew are in their late 20s to mid 30s and are not really hipsters anymore.)

Shit mirror.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    I'm still waiting on a PHM remix album.

That should have been the fifth part of the definitive nin: the remixes
    Translation: “I’m too good to listen to the 5in single.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Could we please not talk CD vs Vinyl again here? It happened every single time since the vinyl mission statement.
    CD will come out, maybe a little later than vinyl. We've beaten this horse to death already when NTAE came out.
    Please, let's move on.

And seriously, for a fine piece of memorabilia (even if you can't play it) and a hi-res audio download of the new album from one of your favorite bands, if not the most, costs $20.
    I kinda get the bitching for Deviations 1 since it was like, $80, although I don't necessarily agree with you guys, but for $20? You guys cannot shell out $20 for fucking new NIN and you're here?
    Last edited by Lerxto; 05-10-2018 at 10:42 PM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I've been a vinyl collector for quite a long time now, but Nine Inch Nails were always the group I still got on CD since I had acquired so much of a collection. Since Not the Actual Events on CD was released, I haven't gone back to go pick up Add Violence and NTAE on CD. Heck, I don't even own those on vinyl ... but I do own PHM, Broken, TDS and the Fragile on wax finally. I should eventually go pick up all the newest stuff on CD at some point and decide which of the new EPs (and this new album!) I want to own on vinyl. I'm usually a stickler for waiting till I actually hear an album before I order the vinyl these days.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I love everything about this album so far. I can't wait until June 22nd.
    That said, I truly hope they don't release any music until the 22nd. I want to listen to Bad Witch the first time in it's entirety. By the time Add Violence was released, I'd already heard half of it. As stoked as I was to listen early, NTAE dropping all at once was a better experience. I remember being in awe listening to those 5 songs over and over at 1am trying to soak them all in. I would love to repeat that experience on June 22nd. And no, I don't have the will power to wait if tracks are release early.
    Last edited by Jordan; 05-10-2018 at 11:09 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    Could we please not talk CD vs Vinyl again here? It happened every single time since the vinyl mission statement.
    CD will come out, maybe a little later than vinyl. We've beaten this horse to death already when NTAE came out.
    Please, let's move on.

And seriously, for a fine piece of memorabilia (even if you can't play it) and a hi-res audio download of the new album from one of your favorite band, if not the most, costs $20.
    I kinda get the bitching for Deviations 1 since it was like, $80, although I don't necessarily agree with you guys, but for $20? You guys cannot shell out $20 for fucking new NIN and you're here?
    This. Also, in addition to being $80, Deviations was explicitly stated to be vinyl-only limited release, so it made sense then. Here, the argument is a dead horse because people are assuming that because the CD is not available at the nin.com store (neither is the CD for any other NIN album) the CD will not exist, despite the contrary being repeatedly pointed out.
    Last edited by Patrick_Nicholas; 05-10-2018 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Emphasis on why it made sense with Deviations

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    here's the rough trade page where you can pre-order vinyl & CD

here's what it says on the ticket page about people who can't buy them at the box office:

go look at the vinyl tag on instagram. there are so many fucking people with record collections of all different sizes, sharing their love of the medium. don't be such a sourpuss about it.
    Guys...let's stop feeding the troll.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    Guys...let's stop feeding the troll.
    Yeah. Stay on topic: the record that was announced 14 hours ago that you haven’t heard yet.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Yeah seriously we've (myself included) been posting so much and this is really all speculation. Maybe it'll be moved to another thread since we have over a month.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    For a CD V Vinyl argument, heres a cool 50 page thread about it, that way we dont have to do a 50 page thread about it here

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...-vinyl.327633/

Personally I think both are cool. Vinyl obviously is cool because of the whole presentation of it and some vinyl does sound better than CDs and CDs are still cool because they are still more convenient and have excellent audio quality and its kind of hard to listen to vinyl in my car or listen to my 300 NIN bootleg cds/cdrs in a vinyl setting...Theres enough room in the music world for CD and vinyl.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Shit.
    Mirror.

Anyone else thinking this track HAS to be an instrumental?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    01 Shit Mirror
    02 Ahead of Ourselves
    03 Play the Goddamned Part
    04 God Break Down the Door
    05 I’m Not From This World
    06 Over and out

Anyone else think these are some of the most non NIN-esque song titles ever?

Like if I didn't know any better I'd think they're a joke

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    Shit.
    Mirror.

Anyone else thinking this track HAS to be an instrumental?
    Perhaps. Then again , a mirror reflecting in a mirror of a lie might be a shit mirror. I guess it depends on the interpretation. I am super ready for this though. A whole month away...

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    If it's anything like most of the last few albums it'll be a brief instrumental segue into the next track