Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: PJ Harvey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

PJ Harvey

Hey! Let's discuss PJ Harvey.

I can't express my love for this womans music in words. Everything, from her earlier grunge/blues-sounding stuff to the more mellow, folk-influenced music on Let England Shake, is absolutely stunning.

Seems like Let England Shake will be released along with a DVD containing the videos for the songs.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I love Is This Desire? and wish there was more of her stuff in that vein. That album is nigh-on perfect IMHO. Aside from that album, the early grunge-y stuff (esp. the Peel Session versions OMFG) and (oddly enough) White Chalk works for me.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I love just about everything she did from Dry through Uh Huh Her. I guess I'm probably alone on this, but I just can't get into her more recent material. I'm glad that she wanted to grow and change and push herself in new directions, but I just don't like the little girl voice and the offbeat instruments that have been used on the last couple of albums.
    Last edited by piggy; 12-17-2011 at 08:44 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Good to see a dvd release from the videos that were made for each song from Let England Shake. I think the ones I usually gravitate more are Rid of Me, Is This Desire?, and Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea. I like all her albums, even her b-sides and appreciate how she changes on each album. I was very glad she won the Mercury Prize this year.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Rid of Me and To Bring You My Love is where it's at!

Her collaboration on Desert Sessions Vol. 9 was good too.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    So far...

1. To Bring You My Love
    2. Rid of Me
    3. White Chalk
    4. Uh Huh Her
    5. Dry
    6. Let England Shake
    7. Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea
    8. Is This Desire?
    9. A Woman A Man Walked By
    10. Dance Hall at Louse Point

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i pretty much love her entire catalog, outside of uh huh her and the john parish records. those three have a few gems on them, but don't click for me. the earlier records, stories from the city and white chalk are my favorites.

jaimie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by frankieteardrop View Post
    i pretty much love her entire catalog, outside of uh huh her and the john parish records. those three have a few gems on them, but don't click for me. the earlier records, stories from the city and white chalk are my favorites.

Pretty much EXACTLY how I feel. Although To Bring You My Love and White Chalk are probably my favs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have been a fan of PJ since her first album. I still think to this day that she is one of the most original and worthy female artists making music.
    Not just a national treasure, but a treasure full stop.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Only really heard her Rid Of Me album, which is pretty nifty. She really gained my attention with the stuff she did with Nick Cave (Henry Lee, etc.), or the songs he wrote about her (green eyes, black hair, etc.).

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    still can't get into White Chalk, and i haven't yet heard Let England Shake. love love love everything up to those two, though. Rid Of Me is on my top 10 all time favourite albums.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    still can't get into White Chalk, and i haven't yet heard Let England Shake. love love love everything up to those two, though. Rid Of Me is on my top 10 all time favourite albums.
    IMO White Chalk is an acquired taste. Let England Shake is a little more accessible, within a few listens I was whistling along to the tunes no problem. Give it a bash.....listening that is, not whistling.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    My favourites are To Bring You My Love and Stories From the City, but aside from a couple of songs on uh uh her I pretty much love all her stuff. She's got Patti Smith's punk, but at the same time she seems to have an almost Kate Bush-like need to experiment and expand her horizons, and I love that about her.

I thought Let England Shake was absolutely brilliant. It's probably her best album in terms of how well-crafted and well-concieved it is.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Dale Cooper View Post
    IMO White Chalk is an acquired taste. Let England Shake is a little more accessible, within a few listens I was whistling along to the tunes no problem. Give it a bash.....listening that is, not whistling.
    That's probably a fairly accurate assessment of those albums, generally speaking. But in my experience it was just the opposite. White Chalk clicked w/me from pretty much the first listen, while LES has yet to grow on me, but in all fairness I need to give it another listen or two. I think one of the reasons WC doesn't scream accessible is not so much because she changed her style dramatically, but because the songs are just so goddamn depressing, bleak & difficult to get through as well the lyrics are brutally, unflinchingly personal & honest, which can make for a very discomfiting listening experience.

As for an overall favorite, yeah, it's hard to beat Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Let England Shake is pretty good. I was kind of scratching my head at all the acclaim it garnered this past year (#1 album of 2011 by I believe 13 music publications) but now that I've listened a few times through it's growing on me. The Words That Maketh Murder is really great, been listening on repeat for the past few days.

Anyone recommend a next album for me to listen to? I'm thinking Stories From The City because it was the last of her records to win the Mercury Prize, as England did this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ^^ Stories..... is a great album and it is chock full of tasty little nuggets for one to sing along to.

If you want to play it safe, get Stories, if you fancy a bit of a swerve, get 4 track demos, it's glorious and beautifully sparse.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    "Universal Music lists fall album releases (no date yet) from U2 and Weezer. PJ Harvey new one also on the horizon...."

Some guy tweeted this, her new album is coming in the fall it seems.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    She's awesome. Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea is my favorite.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Just listened to "Down By The Water" and couldn't help but draw comparisons to bits of The Fragile, specifically "I'm Looking Forward To Joining You, Finally". Of course, PJ's song came first. The titles also fit together well ("I'm Looking Forward To Joining You, Finally, Down By The Water")

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    it's about time, her return is long overdue.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Camille View Post

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I really like "the wheel". looking forward to the album

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Fresh off her Grammy nomination for Alternative Music Album of the year, PJ Harvey announces her most extensive North American tour in about a decade:

April 13 - Toronto, ON – Massey Hall
    April 15 - Montreal, QC – Metropolis
    April 17 - Boston, MA – House Of Blues
    April 20 - Brooklyn, NY – Brooklyn Steel
    April 21 - Philadelphia, PA – Fillmore
    April 22 - Richmond, VA – The National
    April 24 - Royal Oak, MI – Royal Oak Music Theatre
    April 27 - Dallas, TX – Bomb Factory
    April 28 - Austin, TX – Stubb’s
    April 29 - Houston, TX – Revention Music Center
    May 2 - Denver, CO – Fillmore Auditorium
    May 5 - Seattle, WA – WaMu Theater
    May 7 - Portland, OR – Crystal Ballroom
    May 9 - San Francisco, CA – The Masonic
    May 12 - Los Angeles, CA – The Greek Theatre
    Last edited by halo eighteen; 12-09-2016 at 06:40 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Got Boston tix. Never saw her before.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I got tickets to see her in Austin. I've never seen her before either! It's a shame too, since she's one of my three beloved 90s goddesses: Tori Amos, Bjork and PJ Harvey. With this show I will have finally seen all 3. Absolutely thrilled.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Got Boston tix. Never saw her before.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    I got tickets to see her in Austin. I've never seen her before either! It's a shame too, since she's one of my three beloved 90s goddesses: Tori Amos, Bjork and PJ Harvey. With this show I will have finally seen all 3. Absolutely thrilled.
    saw her in...2004? (yes, just looked up the show) and she was AMAZING. rob ellis on drums, josh klinghoffer on guitar (and, on a couple songs, second drum kit), can't remember who played bass. pj had made her own animal the muppet purse to hold her IEM pack and i think she was wearing a shirt-dress with her own picture on it. she and the guys all looked like they were having so much fun, and i was with my best friend/sister for whom PJ has always been a mutual love.

haven't been big on anything she's done since Uh Huh Her but i'm sure she still puts on a great show.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    the 2003/2004 shows were pretty damn good indeed. Her short tour with john parish in 2009 wasn't bad either. I liked LES but I am not a big fan of the last album and I won't be in the country during that time so i guess i will miss these, oh well.