Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: PJ Harvey

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Interesting customer services!
    Well I mean, I didn't even order from them so I wasn't really expecting them to be accommodating. Seems like US copies don't have download codes, but UK/Europe does. Hoping this will be corrected going forward. If anyone has the means of getting/sharing the Dry download, that would be most appreciated!

*edit - seems as though the digital download supplied with the UK/European edition is indeed the old release of the album. What a mess. I guess it's just gonna rely on someone making a vinyl rip.
    Last edited by halo eighteen; 07-28-2020 at 09:21 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    Well I mean, I didn't even order from them so I wasn't really expecting them to be accommodating. Seems like US copies don't have download codes, but UK/Europe does. Hoping this will be corrected going forward. If anyone has the means of getting/sharing the Dry download, that would be most appreciated!

*edit - seems as though the digital download supplied with the UK/European edition is indeed the old release of the album. What a mess. I guess it's just gonna rely on someone making a vinyl rip.
    jesus christ this whole thing is stupid

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    listened to Dry yesterday and it sounded pretty good. a bit of high-end distortion, especially on the esses, but nothing i couldn't tolerate.

but yeah, definitely pissed about a lack of download code. i forgot that my digital copy isn't even really listenable because i didn't encode it until like 2005, and i had lent my CD copy to a friend who returned it to me scratched, which i didn't know until i tried to listen to my rip and there were skips all over the place (mostly in "happy and bleeding" which is of course my favorite)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    and today i'm listening to Rid Of Me. sounds fantastic. nice mastering job that brings the levels up a bit without losing seemingly any of the grand dynamics. also still has the wonderful hard-panned separations that always made the original version so fun to listen to on headphones. there really isn't anyone else like steve albini in the world of music.

surprisingly...this version came with a download code that gave me WAVs, so lemme know if you need them!

i also corresponded with a very helpful gentleman from the customer support team via pj's website who felt really bad about me not getting a download code for Dry, but said he has no access to get me one, and that the american distributor for the records isn't offering DLs with them...which makes it even weirder that i got one with Rid Of Me. so my question is...did amazon (from whom i reluctantly ordered it) get one of the EU-distributed copies and not a US-distributed copy? so strange.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    and today i'm listening to Rid Of Me. sounds fantastic. nice mastering job that brings the levels up a bit without losing seemingly any of the grand dynamics. also still has the wonderful hard-panned separations that always made the original version so fun to listen to on headphones. there really isn't anyone else like steve albini in the world of music.

surprisingly...this version came with a download code that gave me WAVs, so lemme know if you need them!

i also corresponded with a very helpful gentleman from the customer support team via pj's website who felt really bad about me not getting a download code for Dry, but said he has no access to get me one, and that the american distributor for the records isn't offering DLs with them...which makes it even weirder that i got one with Rid Of Me. so my question is...did amazon (from whom i reluctantly ordered it) get one of the EU-distributed copies and not a US-distributed copy? so strange.
    My copies from Amazon just came in today and they are both made in Europe and have download cards (or at least the stickers on the front make that claim). Discogs is listing these all under a blanket US/UK/Europe edition, as opposed to Dry which has a separate US listing. Hopefully this is the way they'll release these going forward!

Is the Rid of Me download code for the 2020 remaster though? Apparently the Dry one was not

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    My copies from Amazon just came in today and they are both made in Europe and have download cards (or at least the stickers on the front make that claim). Discogs is listing these all under a blanket US/UK/Europe edition, as opposed to Dry which has a separate US listing. Hopefully this is the way they'll release these going forward!

Is the Rid of Me download code for the 2020 remaster though? Apparently the Dry one was not
    i haven't listened to the DL yet to compare, so i'll get back to you!

currently re-listening to my covers EP from april, though, and i'm still insanely proud of the version of Teclo that i pulled off (with the help of my friend nina/derosnec).

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I finally gave the Rid of Me/demos a spin and was pretty impressed with the crunchiness of the former and the rawness of the latter. Not entirely sure these are "remastered" at least in terms of volume boosting; I had to crank up my receiver considerably for Rid of Me, and the download copy seems the same way. Unfortunately, my Demos download doesn't work. I just opened up a ticket. It was a brand new vinyl from Amazon!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I don’t know about you guys but I can’t wait to get my hands on the desire demos, very curious to see if these will be stripped down acoustic or not.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    I don’t know about you guys but I can’t wait to get my hands on the desire demos, very curious to see if these will be stripped down acoustic or not.
    i really wish i could afford the demo records right now, but i shouldn't even be buying up the main albums.

is desire up for pre-order yet?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    i really wish i could afford the demo records right now, but i shouldn't even be buying up the main albums.

is desire up for pre-order yet?
    i don't see no preorder, we still have louse point coming out before this one, the release date is not yet listed on her website, probably november since it's been one reissue each month so far

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    i don't see no preorder, we still have louse point coming out before this one, the release date is not yet listed on her website, probably november since it's been one reissue each month so far
    Amazon is saying Dance Hall now has a release date of Nov 13, so I'm wondering if something happened to push the rest of these back? I'm definitely most excited for the Desire and Stories demos going forward (not to mention affordable vinyl copies of both of those proper albums!)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Amazon is saying Dance Hall now has a release date of Nov 13, so I'm wondering if something happened to push the rest of these back? I'm definitely most excited for the Desire and Stories demos going forward (not to mention affordable vinyl copies of both of those proper albums!)
    ah that sucks, may be a longuer wait then

well, time to check those to bring you my love demos!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    The TBYML demos might be the best thing she's ever released. This woman is a fucking artist. Other than the programmed drums and considerably more lo-fi production, these songs are all pretty similar to the final product (especially Down by the Water). I think there's a missing guitar line in Working for the Man, but pretty much all the other elements are there throughout the album (Teclo is fucking amazing). This is making me thirst even more for the Is This Desire demos!

I feel like I've heard this Dancer demo before, too. Maybe from back in the Napster days?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    ITD demos out 1/29, 2 more months to wait

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Loving this appearance from the Uh Huh Her era:

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Loving this appearance from the Uh Huh Her era:

I really, really, really, really, really regret not going to the Detroit show that tour. I even had a ticket, just not enough money to get gas to drive there
    Probably my favorite era from her, aesthetically, musically, live band etc.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Stories vinyl/demos Feb 26th, yassss

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Excited for these reissues to fill in the big gaps in my PJ vinyl collection. I’ve tried unsuccessfully to nab signed copies on the web store as they went on sale. Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea is melodic perfection.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thenorthwood View Post
    Excited for these reissues to fill in the big gaps in my PJ vinyl collection. I’ve tried unsuccessfully to nab signed copies on the web store as they went on sale. Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea is melodic perfection.
    just pre-ordered my copy today! that's the album that got me into her (and then i worked my way back through her discography). i was familiar with the songs "rid of me" & "hardly wait" because of Strange Days but "stories..." is how i actually became a pj fan. i still have a promo photo of her from rolling stone taped up on the wall at my parents' house.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Uh Huh Her: April 30. Signed art print version likely going live in the next 12 hours or so if you feel like spamming her site lol

*edit - Amazon is taking pre-orders, but it's still not on her official site. First time this has happened, odd.
    Last edited by halo eighteen; 03-04-2021 at 05:53 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    listened to "stories from the city..." on vinyl this afternoon. definitely a few small sound issues but overall it was fine. it's the album that got me into her and it's weird to revisit it for the first time in a while and realize that, of all her albums that i like ("dry" up through "uh huh her") it's definitely the weakest, lyrically. i'm not a huge fan of "i'm in this city and i'm going to talk about it" lyrics and there are a LOT of those. but musically it's fantastic, and her voice is amazing, and the duets with thom yorke are gorgeous.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Uh Huh Her: April 30. Signed art print version likely going live in the next 12 hours or so if you feel like spamming her site lol

*edit - Amazon is taking pre-orders, but it's still not on her official site. First time this has happened, odd.
    Thanks to your heads up, I managed to get a signed one, having missed out on all the others, so thank you very much! Much appreciated.

How did you know it was going on sale today?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Thanks to your heads up, I managed to get a signed one, having missed out on all the others, so thank you very much! Much appreciated.

How did you know it was going on sale today?
    Amazon UK jumped the gun and listed it yesterday, and her site's been pretty reliably selling these things on Thursdays. Glad it worked out!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    listened to "stories from the city..." on vinyl this afternoon. definitely a few small sound issues but overall it was fine. it's the album that got me into her and it's weird to revisit it for the first time in a while and realize that, of all her albums that i like ("dry" up through "uh huh her") it's definitely the weakest, lyrically. i'm not a huge fan of "i'm in this city and i'm going to talk about it" lyrics and there are a LOT of those. but musically it's fantastic, and her voice is amazing, and the duets with thom yorke are gorgeous.
    I understand that take on the lyrics. I see the lyrics as being intentional in their simplicity and directness. Setting the scene for a pure, joyous tone in the delivery. Professing a new love in a direct way, whether it be for a person, city, or feeling of rebirth. The excitement of that new feeling that makes you want to shout it out instead of being coy with words. Definitely a bubblier version of PJ.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    The Peel Sessions 1991-2004 is getting a vinyl reissue May 28!! I didn't think for a second that this would be part of the vinyl reissue campaign. Yasssss!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    she's back! excited for this one, 7/7 is the date.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Minimalistic album cover:

New single:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Just can't do the high voice version of PJ.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zimbo View Post
    Just can't do the high voice version of PJ.
    i still love everything up through Uh Huh Her but everything after that (save for the CONCEPT of white chalk and a couple of the songs) have done nothing for me. i can't connect to any of it emotionally, and that's a fucking bummer.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    First impression of the new album is it's very good. Gonna have to give it a few more listens before ranking it with her others, but this one definitely feels stronger upon a single listen than the last one did. I need to re-listen to that one one of these days too.