Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: PJ Harvey

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    saw her in...2004? (yes, just looked up the show) and she was AMAZING. rob ellis on drums, josh klinghoffer on guitar (and, on a couple songs, second drum kit), can't remember who played bass. pj had made her own animal the muppet purse to hold her IEM pack and i think she was wearing a shirt-dress with her own picture on it. she and the guys all looked like they were having so much fun, and i was with my best friend/sister for whom PJ has always been a mutual love.

haven't been big on anything she's done since Uh Huh Her but i'm sure she still puts on a great show.
    So jealous. I was supposed to see her on that tour and she canceled. Never got another chance after that and like yourself, I have little interest in her post-2004 output. I have the DVD from that tour, though, and I can tell that those shows were pretty badass.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    regardless of how you feel about the latest record(s), her show is still AMAZING. it's a ten piece band this time around, plenty of instrument switching, trumpets, military snares, very much appropriate with all the political turmoil happening across the globe. also, i'm glad to see mick harvey on board (he's been with her for years now, even before leaving the bad seeds).

as for the LES and the latest, neither record grabbed me on first listen, but are the epitome of "growers"- each listen starts to hook into you a little deeper. it's been that way for a lot of her albums for me- the only one i loved instantly was white chalk - even listening to rid of me and to bring you my love in high school took a few listens to really sink in.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    regardless of how you feel about the latest record(s), her show is still AMAZING. it's a ten piece band this time around, plenty of instrument switching, trumpets, military snares, very much appropriate with all the political turmoil happening across the globe. also, i'm glad to see mick harvey on board (he's been with her for years now, even before leaving the bad seeds).

as for the LES and the latest, neither record grabbed me on first listen, but are the epitome of "growers"- each listen starts to hook into you a little deeper. it's been that way for a lot of her albums for me- the only one i loved instantly was white chalk - even listening to rid of me and to bring you my love in high school took a few listens to really sink in.
    that sounds like a pretty great live setup. funny story, when i got "stories from the city..." (which is how i got into PJ) i thought mick harvey was either her brother or her husband or something, because i had never heard the bad seeds at the time and had no idea about his musical history. i just assumed the shared last name meant they were related haha.

also, white chalk is the only album of hers i actually DISLIKE. i think if she had put it out under a different name or...idunno, it just doesn't feel like PJ to me.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I saw her back in 2004, and it was an awesome experience (even more now considering i don't think she'll ever come back to my town).
    The only album i don't like it's "White Chalk", "Let England Shake" it's a bit "meh", but i reallly liked "The Hope Six Demolition Project" (as you guys said, it's a grower).
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 12-09-2016 at 10:34 AM. Reason: fuck typos!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    We saw her in Chicago at the Vic in 1998:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pj-har...-73cfe629.html

AWESOME SHOW, one of the best we have ever seen by anyone.

This is from that tour:

Saw her again at the Riv in Chicago in 2004.

I wish she would've brought her White Chalk show here, I fucking LOVED THAT ALBUM, one of my Top Five concept albums of all time, really wanted to see that.

I think if people approach White Chalk as a concept album, that there is a REALLY SAD story there, maybe they'll see it differently?
    Last edited by allegro; 12-09-2016 at 01:11 PM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    yeah i'm actually surprised a lot of people don't like it? then again, i like delicately weird experimental records that are haunted by ghosts, so...

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    yeah i'm actually surprised a lot of people don't like it? then again, i like delicately weird experimental records that are haunted by ghosts, so...
    Haunted by ghosts, yes, exactly. Ugh, man, that ALBUM (White Chalk) haunted me for a long time. The end made me cry for a long time. It SOUNDS haunted, it's just brilliant.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    To be fair, it's been a long time since i heard "White Chalk" and i will gve it another shot in the upcoming days.
    One of the things i remember hating the firts time i heard was that the whole thing was with piano and very repetitive.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    To be fair, it's been a long time since i heard "White Chalk" and i will gve it another shot in the upcoming days.
    One of the things i remember hating the firts time i heard was that the whole thing was with piano and very repetitive.
    The lyrics (and the atmosphere) totally drive that album, for sure. It's set up as if it was recorded over 100 years ago.

Edit: I think this is an accurate review: http://www.spin.com/2007/10/pj-harve...-chalk-island/

Spoiler: it includes an abortion. At the end, she jumps off a cliff. well, SOMEBODY goes off a cliff. she's screaming so it's probably her?
    Last edited by allegro; 12-09-2016 at 01:30 PM.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    So fucking pissed about missing her show at a festival this year...
    She played on the first day fairly early, like 15PM-ish, we arrived at the entry point about 2hrs before her start, and managed to spend 4 goddamn hours at the queue to exchange tickets for wristbands. Later on the organizers apologized for this fuckup, admitting they didn't assign enough people to handle the exchange.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    http://pjharvey.net/vinyl-reissues-d...ums-announced/

Long overdue, PJ Harvey's complete discography (along with separate demo releases for each album, on CD/vinyl/download formats) will be getting vinyl reissues throughout the next year. Dry is first up July 24th, and has been remastered by Head.

This is notable for A) her back catalogue desperately needing to be remastered for quite some time now, and B) vinyl copies of most of her albums go for quite a bit of money.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    http://pjharvey.net/vinyl-reissues-d...ums-announced/

Long overdue, PJ Harvey's complete discography (along with separate demo releases for each album, on CD/vinyl/download formats) will be getting vinyl reissues throughout the next year. Dry is first up July 24th, and has been remastered by Head.

This is notable for A) her back catalogue desperately needing to be remastered for quite some time now, and B) vinyl copies of most of her albums go for quite a bit of money.

gonna skip the dry demos, for now, as i'm really trying not to spend money.

but like, seriously, i can’t describe how excited i am. the only album of hers i have on vinyl is “to bring you my love” and i’m pretty sure it’s a bootleg (though a very good one).

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    So, wait... Are they saying the only CDs that will be issued are the demos? Is there not going to be a standalone CD of each album, just vinyl? That's just odd.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    So, wait... Are they saying the only CDs that will be issued are the demos? Is there not going to be a standalone CD of each album, just vinyl? That's just odd.
    I guess she took notes from Trent

lol jk, but yeah seemingly only the Demo releases will be additionally on CD and digital download; the vinyl reissues look to be exclusive to that format. I have to wonder if they'll do a proper Rid of Me album demo or just use 4-Track Demos. She's getting all my money regardless haha
    Last edited by halo eighteen; 05-28-2020 at 03:26 PM.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    That's seriously SO weird. They're not eschewing CD altogether with this campaign, so why only the demos on CD? And no digital option for the remasters, either? I guess I just saved a ton of money since I'm not a vinyl person.
    Last edited by piggy; 05-28-2020 at 03:31 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    but like, seriously, i can’t describe how excited i am. the only album of hers i have on vinyl is “to bring you my love” and i’m pretty sure it’s a bootleg (though a very good one).
    I have White Chalk, Let England Shake and Hope Six Demolition Project in addition to some kind of repressing of TBYML... I don't think it's a bootleg. I got it from Amazon quite a while back, so I dunno? It does sound good enough, but I'll certainly get the reissue. I'll probably be content with the rest of the originals though.

*edit - I dug out the order, from back in 2014 and it was $14.99 then. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004WQ3R A much shockingly higher price than that now. Um yeah.
    Last edited by halo eighteen; 05-28-2020 at 03:43 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    I have White Chalk, Let England Shake and Hope Six Demolition Project in addition to some kind of repressing of TBYML... I don't think it's a bootleg. I got it from Amazon quite a while back, so I dunno? It does sound good enough, but I'll certainly get the reissue. I'll probably be content with the rest of the originals though.

*edit - I dug out the order, from back in 2014 and it was $14.99 then. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004WQ3R A much shockingly higher price than that now. Um yeah.
    i have that same pressing of "to bring you my love" haha guess it's not a boot then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i don't really love anything she's done since "uh huh her" so i don't have any of her newer stuff. 1992-2004 though? i love everything she did. and i really like the 2009 album with john parish.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Rid of Me and 4-Track Demos vinyl reissues coming August 21 now. Guess they're forgoing an actual Rid of Me demo release and just going with that.

These will come with download cards, and they're stopping short of calling them "remastered" but that Steve Albini and John Parish will be involved with the transfer process for each, respectively.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Rid of Me and 4-Track Demos vinyl reissues coming August 21 now. Guess they're forgoing an actual Rid of Me demo release and just going with that.

These will come with download cards, and they're stopping short of calling them "remastered" but that Steve Albini and John Parish will be involved with the transfer process for each, respectively.
    i mean i'm ok with that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 4-track demos is really good, though not essential, except for "hardly wait". i still haven't gotten over the juliet lewis version of that song from Strange Days. i get goosebumps even thinking about it.

edit: are these both 2-LPs? why are they $29.98 instead of $25 on amoeba?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    i mean i'm ok with that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 4-track demos is really good, though not essential, except for "hardly wait". i still haven't gotten over the juliet lewis version of that song from Strange Days. i get goosebumps even thinking about it.

edit: are these both 2-LPs? why are they $29.98 instead of $25 on amoeba?
    Should be just a single LP for each, at least the originals were. I hope they're still a single unless they're 45RPM, but I doubt it..

Have you heard Placebo's cover of Hardly Wait??

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Should be just a single LP for each, at least the originals were. I hope they're still a single unless they're 45RPM, but I doubt it..

Have you heard Placebo's cover of Hardly Wait??
    :: heavy breathing :: wh...what??? THEY COVERED THAT SONG???

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    :: heavy breathing :: wh...what??? THEY COVERED THAT SONG???
    yasssss. It's on their Ashtray Heart EP, along with an excellent cover of Archive's "Fuck U"

(not to get the thread off topic! )

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Dry came in the mail today and holy hell does it sound amazing. There's so much more clarity and oomph in the sound. Sadly there's not even a digital download code (just one with the Demos). I think the rest of the releases will have downloads, but maybe not.

This is gonna get quite a few spins for sure.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Dry came in the mail today and holy hell does it sound amazing. There's so much more clarity and oomph in the sound. Sadly there's not even a digital download code (just one with the Demos). I think the rest of the releases will have downloads, but maybe not.

Good to know, is it louder too?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    Good to know, is it louder too?
    Much. I was spinning some Daysleepers stuff in between it and the Demos, and didn't have to turn the volume up compared to that or what I would normally have it for other records. Based on this, I'm super looking forward to Rid of Me next month.

I could dig out my USB turntable and try to rip this, but I'm far too lazy for that. I feel like someone else could probably do a much better conversion job, if they haven't already. I don't even know the sites to frequent anymore. This is absolutely the version of the album that I want on my iPod.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

seriously??? no download code??? that was one of the things i was really counting on with these, new digital versions to put on my phone so i can actually, you know...hear them haha

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    This campaign just gets more and more poorly executed.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    seriously??? no download code??? that was one of the things i was really counting on with these, new digital versions to put on my phone so i can actually, you know...hear them haha
    I'm pretty sure I saw digital codes being advertised for Rid of Me and TBYML. But PJ's site also said Dry would have one. I don't know if it's just the copies sold from her site. That would be asinine.

*edit - Amazon has an "auto rip" feature for vinyl purchasers, but I'm like 99.9999% sure this is just their standard digital copy of the album.

Edit2: I just reached out to Kontraband/PJ's official store to see if they can assist. I'm guessing they'll tell me to fuck off, but who knows.

Edit3: That was fast. Yes, they did tell me to do just that basically.
    Last edited by halo eighteen; 07-27-2020 at 06:56 AM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Interesting customer services!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I'm pretty sure I saw digital codes being advertised for Rid of Me and TBYML. But PJ's site also said Dry would have one. I don't know if it's just the copies sold from her site. That would be asinine.

*edit - Amazon has an "auto rip" feature for vinyl purchasers, but I'm like 99.9999% sure this is just their standard digital copy of the album.

Edit2: I just reached out to Kontraband/PJ's official store to see if they can assist. I'm guessing they'll tell me to fuck off, but who knows.

Edit3: That was fast. Yes, they did tell me to do just that basically.
    i guess you can steal this shit online without any remorse then...