Thread: Cobra Kai (Karate Kid Show on YouTube Red)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdglss View Post
    This was truly excellent.

Johnny was a dick as a teen, but I guess we all were. I was bullied but man, I could be a real jerk to some of my bullies and their friends too... being a teen is so weird...

Scared to parent my kids as teens now too! Lol
    Sweep the Leg.

I felt like the subtlety and dichotomy of Johnny was one of the show's strengths.
    Because he IS still a dick. He's a cranky old man who doesn't understand that the world has changed and he's scared and it engenders sympathy. But he's still a dick and it's great.

They also kind of use Johnny to both lampoon and explore the motivations of the right I think.

I thought Daniel San was ALSO a dick

One of the most brilliant moments in the show was Spoiler: when Johnny is telling the kid what an awful bastard Daniel is and recounts the events of the first movie to prove it. The fascinating thing about this is that he isn't lying. Suddenly it's like "Oh shit, yeah!' If you were Johnny, Daniel WOULD be the villain and not because he's the good guy. John's life was pretty sweet. Then this asshole shows up and moved in on his girl, sprays him with a water hose, has this old Karate master injure him and beats him at the tournament by cheating
    Last edited by elevenism; 05-06-2018 at 11:06 AM.