Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cobra Kai (Karate Kid Show on YouTube Red)

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I'm on episode 5 right now and I'm loving every cheesy minute of it. This show is such a fan service and that is a good thing here.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Dam.. Just finished the second season. The way this run ends is beyond nuts, but the character development for Johnny is done so good; they really make you feel for him.

Spoiler: Also, the episode with all of the former Cobra Kai brothers was a really cool surprise, along with getting all of those actors with Daniel's mother as well from the first film to reprise their roles. Bravo for that.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Officially renewed for Season 3.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Officially renewed for Season 3.

https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1...r-season-three

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    When I first heard of a Karate Kid sequel TV series, I thought it was the dumbest idea ever...

But man, YouTube has done an amazing job with this series. I just finished season 2 and here I am unable to wait for the next season. Does it have some cheese? Sure, but it's done in a good way that feels like the original 80s movies' cheese. It's all about fan service, but also knows how to strike a blow. This show really makes me wish Pat Morita was still alive. It would have been amazing to have Mr. Miyagi a part of this world. Bring on season 3.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    When I first heard of a Karate Kid sequel TV series, I thought it was the dumbest idea ever...

But man, YouTube has done an amazing job with this series. I just finished season 2 and here I am unable to wait for the next season. Does it have some cheese? Sure, but it's done in a good way that feels like the original 80s movies' cheese. It's all about fan service, but also knows how to strike a blow. This show really makes me wish Pat Morita was still alive. It would have been amazing to have Mr. Miyagi a part of this world. Bring on season 3.
    Minor spoilers:

My thoughts exactly. The cheese is just the right amount of cheese, and there is a hint of slapstick when it comes to it. They do a great job of throwing that 80's vibe into a modern era, almost seamlessly. When the trailer for season 2 came out, and I heard that cover of Cruel Summer... I melted. They get the fan service down even with the music from the series. It almost feels personal when Kreese makes digs at him towards Daniel.

But man, season finale of S2 has me all twisted.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I want Will Ferrell to show up in Season 3 as Kreese's son, and it turns out the reason Kreese got into karate was because his young son was always bullying him.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Likes like a magical fantasy world where everyone cares about karate like a lot more. It's insane but it's so fun

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    The scene with Johnny and Daniel rocking out to Speedwagon is so pure; I love it.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Watching this currently on Netflix so I assume YouTube lost/sold the rights to it? Anyways, I'm loving every cheesy moment and @Self.Destructive.Pattern is right on with the fan service comment. Looking forward to season 3!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    Watching this currently on Netflix so I assume YouTube lost/sold the rights to it? Anyways, I'm loving every cheesy moment and @Self.Destructive.Pattern is right on with the fan service comment. Looking forward to season 3!
    Painstakingly awaiting season 3.

YouTube moved away from the scripted series and the entire third season was already shot before the move I believe. Sucks because I'm not sure what is happening with "Wayne", another great youtube series that I hope gets picked up by another service; it is too good to just be scrapped.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Painstakingly awaiting season 3.

YouTube moved away from the scripted series and the entire third season was already shot before the move I believe. Sucks because I'm not sure what is happening with "Wayne", another great youtube series that I hope gets picked up by another service; it is too good to just be scrapped.
    I didn't get to finish Wayne cuz I didn't wanna pay for Premium anymore, but I quite enjoyed what I saw.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I didn't get to finish Wayne cuz I didn't wanna pay for Premium anymore, but I quite enjoyed what I saw.
    The show is so off the walls but has this realistic grit to it. Definitely try to finish it if you get the chance.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    January 8th!!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    Watching this currently on Netflix so I assume YouTube lost/sold the rights to it?
    The first two seasons are still on YouTube and I am guessing that will be in perpetuity but Netflix will have both those and future seasons from here on out too.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    New trailer.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Season 3 being bumped up to New Years day!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    hey guys, has anyone watched season 3? finally started to catch up, and just watched episode 5.
    think there was quite an awesome cameo, i don’t wanna post any spoilers, just wanna see if i was correct in who i thought i saw

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Episode 5 features Daniel-San knew many many years ago, so yes you are prolly right in your guess.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Season 1 was great. It was utterly sublime. It mirrored so much from the first movie, down to the date at the arcade/putt putt place. I couldn't believe how good it was.

And then, season two...no likey.

You guys all seemed to love it, though. I MIGHT have just been in a bad mood. I'll give it another go.
    Last edited by elevenism; 07-31-2021 at 01:26 AM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I thought season 2 was on par with season 1. Season 3 I found to be the weakest so far, but still loved every minute of it lol.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I loved Seasons 1 and 2, but could point to some grating issues w/ season 3... though it would be hard to do so without spoiling some things. I guess the least spoiler way to point to what I didn't like would be to say that Hawk's character development really sucked and felt lazy, some of it felt like High School Karate Musical, and I really don't know how I feel about the ending. I guess that last part will depend on where they go from there. Ultimately I still liked season 3, but I am pretty sure I wouldn't have fallen completely in love with the series if that was my first exposure to it. I guess it basically "sufficed."

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Season 4 has me feeling all sorts of ways after watching the end of the second to last episode. Wtf man...

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Awesome!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Cannot get enough of this show. Halfway through season 5 and it is as good as it gets. Silver is as ruthless as ever, and loved how they introduced Mike Barnes back into the universe. It definitely is a show and fan service done right, and amazing that they can get almost every character back to reprise their roles, while also giving a tad more back story to the lore.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I loved season 5! At first I was weary of all these throwback characters crowding the show, but man was chozen just the best part of the season. And johnny still delivering these hilarious throwaway lines.

They played it smart with the kids too, leaving their arcs mostly in place, allowing them to be the people theyve become instead of cycling them throw all that old tired shit.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Season 1 was great. It was utterly sublime...season two...no likey.

You guys all seemed to love it, though. I MIGHT have just been in a bad mood. I'll give it another go.
    Ok so, idk what the fuck I was thinking.back then...maybe there wasn't enough "mirroring" out of the gate for me? Maybe it looked like it was gonna be a "kid's show," or maybe I was sick.
    I'm pretty sure I only watched one or two episodes of season 2.

Anyway, i randomly decided to give it another go, and GOOD GOD, I've binged seasons 2-5 in like 3 days, aside from the final 3 episodes.

I cannot BELIEVE how enthralling this thing is.
    It fucking blows my mind how many of the original characters/actors return.
    And it's DAMN sure got enough "mirroring" and callbacks.
    I've laughed, I've cried: honestly.

I relate to Johnny more than I care to admit: "tough guy" with a big heart, good upbringing, talented...but managed to fuck up a lot of years, battles with substance issues, feels like some of the world passed him by, and still hasn't found his place.

It also hits close to home with the parental dynamics throughout, considering MY teenage stepson just moved in, who was hidden from us for 9 years, and I'VE damn sure never been responsible for a child. Idk what I'm doing.

But, yeah. This is show is fucking incredible. I can't believe this exists, and that it's this good. Some of it is KIND of what I wanted from the Star Wars sequels.

My ONLY complaint is that it moves a little too quickly, and character's allegiances sometimes turn on a dime.
    But, jesus. It's a fucking BAD ASS Karate Kid tv show, ffs. I can let that slide.

This thing honestly has me searching for my old pre-show Cobra Kai shirts, with the OG logos.
    Last edited by elevenism; 10-04-2022 at 07:52 AM.