Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Midterm Elections - The Aftermath

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Tony Evers beat Scott Walker in Wisconsin.

(Doing my happy dance.)
    I can't believe he was finally dethroned. Maybe Kohl's will hire him as a spokesperson since his entire presidential campaign was built around getting a sweater for $1 from them.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I honestly thought Beto was going to beat Ted Cruz for a minute.

I still see him as a possible presidential candidate.
    I hope to god he runs in the near future. I'm honestly not excited about ANY of the potential 2020 contenders I've heard mentioned.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Oh hell yeah, Walker's out!!!!!

I must have gone to bed right before they called it, I assumed it was going to be neck and neck all night and then end up being a recount. So glad to wake up and see that he's fucking GONE. Finally!! After all these years. Good riddance to that nightmare. So happy for Wisconsin right now. They REALLY needed this.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    crazy not quite the wave had hoped for but did stay up till about 3 watching coverage. i know it doesn't matter Richie rich is still going to claim how greet he's doing this wasn't a rejection of him or his leadership. i know it's beyond hope that pelosi steps up hold this shit head accountable. mueller should be locked and loaded. i thing Flynn Cohen are due for sentencing. another thing i doubt is that we can quit hearing about the caravan. how their being bussed funded helped by anyone who opposes the shit head. an d shit head. get your ass back to Washington and do your damn job and quit flying around wasting the money i had to send you in April on jet fuel lodging and secret service for you hate rallies. i know you'll figure out some excuse to not do your job and run around sowing division and hate. and democrats you get your lazy asses to work too you know longer have the excuse of nothing you can do. let's get to work on dacca medicare for all 15$ minimum wage and a ton of other things you can do to make America function again and start building momentum for a real wave in 2020. sorry Cruz hung on Georgia results results still pending. but their is a tiny glimmer of hope and maybe just maybe we can ride out this shit storm and become a normal 1st wold nation again
    -louie

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    .....And it brought BACK our beloved straight-ticket voting for good!
    I’m not a political guru by any means but why is this a good thing? Increased voter turnout or to speed up the line? I think it contributes to the us vs then mentality and disincentives researching candidates.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Alright, time for some shit talk.

Claire McCaskill and Phil Bredesen earned their losses last night.

For me, Phil was a colossal disappointment and I was worried about him since this past summer. He sought a centrist tone that helped him win the TN governorship back in the day, but failed to understand that the politics of today are much different than they are now. He seemed like a nice guy, but was indecisive as hell and wouldn't be EXTRA clear to his supporters about what he stood for and why. It was all platitudes every day about bipartisanship and working with the other side and that he would be at odds with his own party. Guess what Phil? You needed us to vote for you first, dummy! His Kavanaugh announcement made zero fucking sense and reeked of DC paid advisory. I don't know if a liberal progressive can win in TN yet, but the next person to run for senator in two years against Lamar Alexander or his successor should give it a shot because we have Aunt Lydia as our senator now.

Claire. I really admire and like Claire McCaskill, and she constantly pissed me off this go-round. Josh Hawley is a complete moron who vowed in 2016 that he did not view his AG position as a ladder, and then announced his Senate run at around ONE year into his term. He was photographed buying wine on a Tuesday at 2pm and working out at the gym at 10am on a Thursday. His AG office in Jefferson City is run by DC consultants. He's an idiot. But he's a Republican, and while I don't have the final numbers in front of me, I can say that Claire struggled with turnout in the metro areas of Missouri and that her bipartisanship likely contributed to it. She said during her concession speech last night that as a US Senator, you can't say what you really feel, but that she would be saying more of what she really feels going forward. I can't miss the irony in that.

Ugh.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post
    I’m not a political guru by any means but why is this a good thing? Increased voter turnout or to speed up the line? I think it contributes to the us vs then mentality and disincentives researching candidates.
    I gotta say, as a trans person, one party is trying to take away my rights and the other party isn't. There is zero incentive for me to vote for a Republican. When a party's stance on you as a human being is that you shouldn't exist, there is absolutely no reason to ever consider supporting them.

And that's only one of the many, MANY reasons why that whole party is a dumpster fire.
    Last edited by theruiner; 11-07-2018 at 09:24 AM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Political strategist friend in Florida has laid out the damage done there, and it's depressing as fuck. The voters basically just gave the Republican party supreme power to do whatever the fuck they want, which includes:

-no funding for education
    -no funding for health
    -gerrymandering the likes of which you've never seen

So not only do they have the power, but they have the tools to maintain a sick and uneducated population that they can easily manipulate in order to STAY in power. That state is fucked.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    So what do you guys think? What are the big takeaways and lessons and insights learned from last night? And what's the strategy moving forward?

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    So what do you guys think? What are the big takeaways and lessons and insights learned from last night? And what's the strategy moving forward?
    I think the dems need to start trying to get through to the republican voters. Maybe there was a blue wave, but there seemed to be more of a republican voter presence again.

Instead of talking to liberal Hollywood and liberal sjw’s of the outrage generation, they need to start talking to America as a whole.

That and getting to the young ones. Obama did that, but no one else in the dem side is achieving that.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    I think the dems need to start trying to get through to the republican voters. Maybe there was a blue wave, but there seemed to be more of a republican voter presence again.

Instead of talking to liberal Hollywood and liberal sjw’s of the outrage generation, they need to start talking to America as a whole.

That and getting to the young ones. Obama did that, but no one else in the dem side is achieving that.
    Democrats turned out over 9% more voters than Republicans for this election and came away with potentially 5 lost Senate seats and a majority in the House, but not a gigantic majority. Republicans avoided campaigning on healthcare and their tax cuts because they were unpopular and relied on racism. I'm waiting for the final turnout numbers compared to past elections, but that number represents how gerrymandered our congressional districts are. Also, exit polls from CNN for the house showed voters under 44 went Democrat.

The state elections in states like Wisconsin and Michigan are great news for the 2020 census, and amendment 4 in Florida just granted voted rights to over 1 million people. Florida disappointed us again last night, but Gillum looks to have lost by 1% and the senate race could be heading to a recount. Add in those voters - this could change Florida substantially starting in two years.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    Democrats turned out over 9% more voters than Republicans for this election and came away with potentially 5 lost Senate seats and a majority in the House, but not a gigantic majority. Republicans avoided campaigning on healthcare and their tax cuts because they were unpopular and relied on racism. I'm waiting for the final turnout numbers compared to past elections, but that number represents how gerrymandered our congressional districts are. Also, exit polls from CNN for the house showed voters under 44 went Democrat.

The state elections in states like Wisconsin and Michigan are great news for the 2020 census, and amendment 4 in Florida just granted voted rights to over 1 million people. Florida disappointed us again last night, but Gillum looks to have lost by 1% and the senate race could be heading to a recount. Add in those voters - this could change Florida substantially starting in two years.
    Hope so. Im just really hoping as a country, we can get rid of the black mold that is currently infesting the White House.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    This press conference is such a trainwreck. He was naming GOP candidates who failed to support him and pretty much ridiculed them for losing.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post

Re: young ones. 2/3 of votes in the 18-29 range were Democrat for these midterms.

I don't think young people are the problem. I think racist, old, "we're scared that those colored people are gonna take the jobs that we're already losing due to it not being 1956 anymore" Republicans are the problem.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    nightmare of a presser again rude attacking the press, more tax stutters plenty of lies. then we get Nancy.her presser could have been is the batter ready? is the waffle iron hot yet?
    -louie

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    Here’s political analyst Matthew Dowd:

Last edited by allegro; 11-07-2018 at 01:37 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    One area where he is incorrect is re Democratic Governor win in Michigan relative to district maps.

Proposal 2 passed last night: https://www.freep.com/story/news/pol...an/1847402002/

The initiative will amend Michigan's constitution to create a 13-member independent citizens' redistricting commission, composed of four Republicans, four Democrats and five people who don't identify with either party.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post
    TIME!!!! It really sped things up and eliminated confusion, for like MANY MANY GENERATIONS we had this. Then the Republicans suddenly took it away and it caused mass confusion and REALLY SLOWED DOWN the voting process and people were left waiting in line for hours and hours. It resulted in what amounted to deliberate voter suppression.

You aren’t likely to get some people to change parties. The straight ticket option is an OPTION, not a requirement.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-07-2018 at 01:49 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I hope to god he runs in the near future. I'm honestly not excited about ANY of the potential 2020 contenders I've heard mentioned.
    My FAVORITE part of the whole night was Beto saying “I’M SO FUCKING PROUD OF YOU GUYS” and MSNBC had to apologize for the F Bomb.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    You know your country's priorities are in shambles when your anchors have to apologize for saying "I'm fucking proud of you guys" on the same night that millions of people cast their votes to support white supremacy, locking kids in cages, treating anyone but heterosexuals as inferior (if acknowledging their existence at all), etc. But no, saying "fuck" on TV is what we apologize for.

Give me a fucking break.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    It was at like 12 am and a super brief apology, an attempt to satisfy the F.C.C. I guess.

I grew up in an era when bra commercials had women wearing bras OUTSIDE of shirts, but we still had ads for cigarettes on television, so when I hear someone say Fuck on television I still feel giddy like a 7-yr-old LOL
    Last edited by allegro; 11-07-2018 at 02:14 PM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    JESUS. Did you guys hear the cheeto's press conference?

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    TIME!!!! It really sped things up and eliminated confusion, for like MANY MANY GENERATIONS we had this. Then the Republicans suddenly took it away and it caused mass confusion and REALLY SLOWED DOWN the voting process and people were left waiting in line for hours and hours. It resulted in what amounted to deliberate voter suppression.

You aren’t likely to get some people to change parties. The straight ticket option is an OPTION, not a requirement.
    was talking with an associate that works at that works at the"evil?" diabold, he was saying that there is pretty much zero follow up on machines already sold. they have a very tiny QA staff and Dev staff, he could not confirm but very little edge case testing. he said they don't have a dedicated penetration test team, very little audits or compliance. in fact the said there is hardly any industry oversight at all. 90% off field data in terms of performance errors and general field tests or problems comes from primary elections which i double confirm from talking with pole workers yesterday. i was going to volunteer as a worker yesterday. but it actually ends up being a 12 hour unpaid adventure. depending on your polling place can get hostile. so i flaked.my apologies America how many machines workers ballots any logistics are determined by primaries and the secretary of state. i guess at the moment voting has my attention. but is quickly fleeting. wait i think i just heard some shout squirrel!i know everyone focus on building codes after an earthquake. i do think it area need attention.
    -louie

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    No. I'll admit that I have actively avoided listening to a single word he's said since before the election. I'll read transcripts all day long, but his voice legitimately triggers my anxiety. I've walked out of rooms abruptly before because someone has him blaring on a TV.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Trump thread over here - https://www.echoingthesound.org/comm...slative-agenda

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Here’s political analyst Matthew Dowd:

That very last point he mentioned is, I think, an absolutely crucial point that a lot of people really need to think about.

You look at all these referendums and ballot measures all across the country, and they won by fucking enormous margins EVEN IN DEEP RED STATES. So what do we conclude from that? It seems that conservative voters all over are actually very much down for progressive politics, voting for expanding Medicaid, felony voting rights, raising the minimum wage, marijuana, etc...they just don't want to vote for those policies if they're coming from the Democratic party itself.

So we're not dealing with a political problem per se. We're dealing with a branding/image/personality problem.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    Alright, time for some shit talk.

Claire McCaskill and Phil Bredesen earned their losses last night.

For me, Phil was a colossal disappointment and I was worried about him since this past summer. He sought a centrist tone that helped him win the TN governorship back in the day, but failed to understand that the politics of today are much different than they are now. He seemed like a nice guy, but was indecisive as hell and wouldn't be EXTRA clear to his supporters about what he stood for and why. It was all platitudes every day about bipartisanship and working with the other side and that he would be at odds with his own party. Guess what Phil? You needed us to vote for you first, dummy! His Kavanaugh announcement made zero fucking sense and reeked of DC paid advisory. I don't know if a liberal progressive can win in TN yet, but the next person to run for senator in two years against Lamar Alexander or his successor should give it a shot because we have Aunt Lydia as our senator now.

Claire. I really admire and like Claire McCaskill, and she constantly pissed me off this go-round. Josh Hawley is a complete moron who vowed in 2016 that he did not view his AG position as a ladder, and then announced his Senate run at around ONE year into his term. He was photographed buying wine on a Tuesday at 2pm and working out at the gym at 10am on a Thursday. His AG office in Jefferson City is run by DC consultants. He's an idiot. But he's a Republican, and while I don't have the final numbers in front of me, I can say that Claire struggled with turnout in the metro areas of Missouri and that her bipartisanship likely contributed to it. She said during her concession speech last night that as a US Senator, you can't say what you really feel, but that she would be saying more of what she really feels going forward. I can't miss the irony in that.

Ugh.
    McCaskill ended up being a piece of shit in the end too. She unnecessarily shit talked Bernie and AOC in a pathetic attempt at pandering to the backwards ghouls in her state WHO WILL NEVER VOTE FOR YOU ANYWAY. Shore up your base & get them excited to vote for you!

And how about this fucking GEM of an ad from that absolute zero Joe Donnelly in Indiana:

or this one:

WHAT. A. MORON. So you shit all over your base in the first ad, trying desperately to appear like a Republican. Newsflash you dumb fuck, why would voters vote for you..."Republican lite"...when they can just vote for the real thing? And then you completely depress your base having any eagerness to vote for you. And the second ad...wow. The lumber cutting made him look literally weak. He looks old and slow cutting that thing, not like a tough guy like he was hoping. Then he mocks the "liberal left". THAT IS YOUR BASE. Why would you unnecessarily attack your OWN party? GAH!!!

Everyone involved in the decision making of his campaign should be jettisoned into the sun, to never work on another campaign again. He was projected to win in every poll, yet he clearly was losing his voters steadily and then the bottom fell out at the end. You need to EXCITE people to vote for you. Tell them what you're gonna do for them. Sound like you're going to FIGHT, not grovel with TRUMP! Be a leader, be inspirational...like Beto.

On a side note, Tester came back to win ND as more ballots came in. That guy has been dancing on the razor's edge his entire time in office. He's another boring centrist, but he's a fighter i'll give him that. Senema in AZ might still win. She's down a few thousand votes but there were still over 600,000 ballots to be counted from Maricopa county (which is also AZ's largest county) as of the end of tonight. If she wins along with Tester, that Dem attrition in the Senate won't be as bad. Maybe Nelson somehow eeks out the win after the FL recount also? Then he can go back to hiding in his basement like he did the entire campaign. Way to lose/almost lose to Rick Scott, who should be rotting away in jail and looks like the light up skeletons I hang from the tree in my front yard for Halloween.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Jim Acosta banned from White House press briefings.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/all/tru...m_npd_nn_fb_ma

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Jim Acosta banned from White House press briefings.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/all/tru...m_npd_nn_fb_ma
    Trump thread over here - https://www.echoingthesound.org/comm...slative-agenda