Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Midterm Elections - The Aftermath

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    So you take out Biden and Bernie and you guys are back to square run.
    I truly don't believe Warren can beat Trump. Beto won't even beat Cruz so how could he make a run against Trump on the back of a losing senate run?

Primaries are in 16 months. Coming faster than you think.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Obama came out of nowhere at the start of the primaries.

Cruz is in one red state. Different game.

Trump only won the Electoral College by 77,744 votes: https://www.weeklystandard.com/john-...chigan-updated

There are lots of names circulating, especially Deval Patrick: https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.f756cd723b85

Barack Obama follows Patrick on Twitter, and Patrick is an Obama Foundation board member. Patrick has skeletons in his closet, though.

I still think Elizabeth Warren is smart enough and tough enough to take on Trump and kick his ass. Whether or not black women voters will like her, I don’t know. Black female voters are the biggest Democratic voting group.

https://www.businessinsider.com/ap-b...n-party-2018-9
    Last edited by allegro; 10-10-2018 at 12:30 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I wonder if Beto O'Rourke loses in 2018, if he would try again in 2020. I honestly think he may have a better shot against John Cornyn than Ted Cruz.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I have a feeling that Beto could be the next Obama.

Also, @Deepvoid , this is TEXAS. The fact that Beto is polling at 45% is pretty inspiring.

And, he's got the support of 52% of women.
    Last edited by elevenism; 10-12-2018 at 07:17 PM.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    @elevenism what's the vibe like on the ground? Is there a sense among people you know that Beto could win?

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    there are probably going to be a ton of shenanigans this election when ever you hear "voter fraud" that usually code for voter repression what Kemp is doing in GA should be criminal and he has been sued and lost before look the president is very unpopular progressive issues are poling well like medicare for all even fox has quit showing trump rallies. look the thing the republican's have is straight up cheating like Gerrymandering while voter roll purges are necessary from time to time if you look at theses they usually target minorities and hence democrats one reason the push to get kav in in a hurry the last time the supreme court got involved in our election we got "W" then 9/11 Iraq and the economic meltdown if you are a afraid of the illuminate you should probably turn your attention towards the neocons with climate change in full effect you will see a much more Elysium type existence with an extreme class divides were only the rich mater i hope we can wake up and quickly.
    -louie

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    @elevenism what's the vibe like on the ground? Is there a sense among people you know that Beto could win?
    I mean there is a lot of support but it still doesn't look good.

I'm certain Texas won't stay red forever though

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I mean there is a lot of support but it still doesn't look good.

I'm certain Texas won't stay red forever though
    Yeah. I live in the DFW area and there are sooooo many Beto signs. Beto support here is surging. However, I went to Lubbock last weekend for a wedding and there were hardly any Beto signs. If Beto is going to win, he's going to need to convince some of the more rural Texans and the 18-25 demographic to vote. It's going to be a wild ride for sure.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...ia-voting.html

Good / depressing article on all the Republican-led voter suppression happening. This is one of the things that scares me most about the GOP having power.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    Yeah. I live in the DFW area and there are sooooo many Beto signs. Beto support here is surging. However, I went to Lubbock last weekend for a wedding and there were hardly any Beto signs. If Beto is going to win, he's going to need to convince some of the more rural Texans and the 18-25 demographic to vote. It's going to be a wild ride for sure.
    Yeah I mean, if anyone supports him up here North of amarillo, they're keeping that shit to themselves

But as for my friends in dfw, I've never seen this much support for a Senate race. Plus, I mean, it's crazy. People in other COUNTRIES are excited about Beto, sending me memes and shit.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    "ARE GRATE PRECEDENT!!!", as I've seen him be called a few times, is coming to my neck of the woods this upcoming Friday. Thankfully, it will not be downtown again so we shouldn't have a repeat of the last time Cucknald J Dump was here.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubeninphoenix View Post
    "ARE GRATE PRECEDENT!!!", as I've seen him be called a few times, is coming to my neck of the woods this upcoming Friday. Thankfully, it will not be downtown again so we shouldn't have a repeat of the last time Cucknald J Dump was here.
    I would absolutely infiltrate that shit, just to say I had seen it.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Last time Trump visited my state he left with a long wad of toilet paper dragging from his shoe, so I'm actually kind of excited to see how he'll humilate himself the next time he decides to show his face here.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I'm not entirely sure which thread to put this in, but an interesting article on our general political discourse:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...elcome/570832/

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Early voting starts today in Tennessee, so I'm heading out to vote this afternoon. Let's get this fucking thing started.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    House Democrats’ hope for wave election diminishes as Republicans rebound
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/power...=.401f02f506a4

Democratic hopes for a wave election that would carry them to a significant House majority have been tempered in recent weeks amid a shifting political landscape and a torrent of hard-hitting attack ads from Republicans.

Democrats remain favored to win, but GOP leaders believe they can minimize the number of seats they would lose — and, perhaps, find a path to preserving their advantage in the chamber.

The tightening, with just over two weeks left, reflects how President Trump’s rising approval rating and the polarizing fight over Supreme Court Justice Brett M. Kavanaugh appear to be boosting the party’s candidates in a number of conservative and rural districts that have been considered up for grabs.

But Democrats have retained their strength in key suburban areas, where polls show female voters furious with Trump are likely to help flip Republican-held seats.

“The past few weeks haven’t really diminished Democrats’ chances of a takeover by that much, but they’ve increased the chances of a small Democratic majority,” said David Wasserman, House editor for the nonpartisan Cook Political Report. He estimated Democrats have a 70 to 75 percent chance of winning the House.

At stake is the fate of the Trump presidency — whether Democrats will gain the power to investigate his administration and thwart his agenda, or if emboldened Republicans will fulfill the president’s vision for the nation, from building a border wall to repeal of the Obama-era health-care law.

Together, both parties have reserved about $150 million worth of airtime for TV and radio commercials between Tuesday and the Nov. 6 midterm elections, according to data obtained by The Washington Post, with most of the money coming from Democrats. Many are expected to be attack ads...
    Last edited by Patrick_Nicholas; 10-21-2018 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Article too long to quote entirely

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    https://www.salon.com/2018/10/23/rep...-swing-states/

GOP outpacing Dems in key states early voting. What a catastrophic outcome it would be if Dems can't even get control of the House.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    https://www.salon.com/2018/10/23/rep...-swing-states/

GOP outpacing Dems in key states early voting. What a catastrophic outcome it would be if Dems can't even get control of the House.
    Early voting is zero percent indicative of how the final results will end up. Dems showed up in masses in 2016 to vote for Hillary and look how that turned out. Same results in 2014 for those midterms. Two weeks left to get out the vote and drag as many registered voters that you know to the polls.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    With all the fuckery going on with voting and such, I really dont trust early voting. Should I wait till vote day or should I just go and do it early?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    With all the fuckery going on with voting and such, I really dont trust early voting. Should I wait till vote day or should I just go and do it early?
    Go and do it early or do it on election day. It's the same as if you go on election day, just with less people and hopefully, less stress. If there's an issue, you still have time to get it sorted out by going early. We also need to utilize it often so more states start to allow it. I voted on the first early day I could here in TN and was able to walk in and out in less than five minutes.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    It's absolutely BONKERS to me that some Americans don't have any concept of how great it is having advance polls open for your elections. So time-saving and convenient... I really can't imagine an election without it.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    It's absolutely BONKERS to me that some Americans don't have any concept of how great it is having advance polls open for your elections. So time-saving and convenient... I really can't imagine an election without it.
    I agree it’s great , just with current political climate, not sure if my vote would be safe.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    I agree it’s great , just with current political climate, not sure if my vote would be safe.
    I don't know anything about the physical safeguards in place but I imagine there are scrutineers there, just like at a regular poll. And it's less busy... so that's kind of likely to be more scrutineer-ing per vote, maybe?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I don't know anything about the physical safeguards in place but I imagine there are scrutineers there, just like at a regular poll. And it's less busy... so that's kind of likely to be more scrutineer-ing per vote, maybe?
    @Conan The Barbarian - If poll workers or anyone there is being difficult, check and see if they have an attorney on-site. If not, call 1-866-OURVOTE to report the activity. Do not say anything partisan at the polling place as it could be viewed as illegal campaigning at the polling place. You have your rights.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Will do, thanks.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    During the past month or so, volunteers texting me about various ballot measures and asking if they have my vote have been met with explanations about why voting is immoral.
    Guy I sorta-know said that. Voting is immoral. Jesus.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    @thelastdisciple turned me into this nightmarish bullshit: voting machines in Texas are switching some people's votes from Beto to Cruz (and Cruz to no selection in a few cases.) This is happening to people who are choosing straight ticket, so, the way I see it, there's a good chance of people not noticing.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...s-13339298.php
    Last edited by elevenism; 10-27-2018 at 07:45 AM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    going to see a ton of this going on this year. i still think trump is an idiot but i think he mentioned a red wave because he was told to cover their tracks. all the voting role purges all seamed to targeted towards democrats. funny how the attack bombs were mailed no mention was made if it would effect mail in voting, spent some time @ voting village at def con this year. not as much time as i would have liked. like all the villages it's a good place to jaw and get info from people who have put a little more effort into the village then most folks. i did find out most voting machine manufacturers are republican doners. so i'm not going to disregard midterm results. there is going to be sceptical.
    -louie

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    video
    -louie