Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Roseanne - Cancelled

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    It's May. Network television season is over. The show was not in production. Who lost a job, exactly?
    It was initially renewed for a second season, but yeah I would imagine anyone working in that industry is constantly looking for other opportunities. Shows get canceled all the time, sometimes just as abruptly as this. I can't feel too bad for anyone on the crew because that's just the name of the game. And that's not even considering how the odds were stacked against everyone given Roseanne's history of just being a vile human being.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InsectGod View Post

I didn't really enjoy the twin peaks or X-files revivals, and could do without them as well. Blasphemy I know.
    You...didn't enjoy..the twin peaks revival? Say what now? SURELY you're thinking of another show.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    I assumed the team was working on/preparing the second session? I could very well be wrong, i'm not all that familiar with the workings on TV shows.
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    It was initially renewed for a second season, but yeah I would imagine anyone working in that industry is constantly looking for other opportunities. Shows get canceled all the time, sometimes just as abruptly as this. I can't feel too bad for anyone on the crew because that's just the name of the game. And that's not even considering how the odds were stacked against everyone given Roseanne's history of just being a vile human being.
    Again, the show was not in production — NBC doesn't pay crew to hang around all summer doing nothing while shows may or may not go into production again. And they're absolutely going to have a chance to work on whatever other show NBC programs in that slot.

It's network television. Big budgets, lots of programming choices to be made... the production crews aren't hurting for work because of this decision.
    Last edited by botley; 05-30-2018 at 10:54 AM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    @botley yesterday was the first day writers/producers/etc. were scheduled to begin working on season 2 (sans cast) according to the the new york times.

http://fox2now.com/2018/05/30/the-in...roseanne-barr/ (i read the same article, verbatim, from a different source yesterday. this fox affiliate article was the first i could find this morning -- about 3/4 of the way down).
    Last edited by kel; 05-30-2018 at 11:25 AM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Again, the show was not in production — NBC doesn't pay crew to hang around all summer doing nothing while shows may or may not go into production again. And they're absolutely going to have a chance to work on whatever other show NBC programs in that slot.

It's network television. Big budgets, lots of programming choices to be made... the production crews aren't hurting for work because of this decision.
    But what about ABC, the channel that the show actually aired on?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    But what about ABC, the channel that the show actually aired on?
    Whoops, yep. My bad, got those mixed up (could it possibly be because I haven't watched either of them in over 15 years?). My point still stands. @kel, writer/producers are not on the production crew. If the writers and producers of this show never ever find a job again, it'd be too bad... but that's unlikely as well. It's very clear who was at fault, here.
    Last edited by botley; 05-30-2018 at 01:13 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Oh man.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post

Oh man.
    That is fantastic.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    i think the funniest thing is that Valerie Jarrett is neither black nor muslum originally comes from a usual breitbart story trying to fearmonger that she was trying to get Obama to pass sharia law in America the usual bullshit my feeling Roseanne is about as funny and talented as Adam sandler
    -louie

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    You...didn't enjoy..the twin peaks revival? Say what now? SURELY you're thinking of another show.
    i didn't, either.

so as i said last night, i was stoked to see the show gone even though the dish guide still listed it. on cmt (cmt! attn: @tony.parente ) today, the same thing -- replaced by full house with no fanfare, just ... gone. as much as i hate that show, it's soooo nice to see that none of these networks were shuffling their feet.
    Last edited by kel; 05-30-2018 at 04:57 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Well, Jimmy Kimmel has a better idea that could put everyone (minus Roseanne) back to work. Why didn't anyone think of this? I'd might watch it.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    The jokes keep getting better! AAAhahaha

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Man, what the fuck happened? Roseanne was like the only realistic depiction of the working poor on TV in the late 80s/early 90s, she had entire storylines about unionizing/labor/gay rights/racism, etc.

The reboot never felt right. I was glad to see them together again, but none of them really felt like their characters inasmuch as the actors themselves. But the warmth clearly between them all was enough for me to forgive some shaky, too-clever-by-half millennial-comedy writing. I didn't even necessarily begrudge Roseanne's character's shift into Trumpism, which isn't an unrealistic thing and she could have been purposefully presented as a foil/Archie Bunker. I was willing to give it all a shot, even knowing she had become truly nuts. Hell, people who struggle with mental illness should be able to work.

But yeesh, enough's enough. I hadn't even heard about her tweets about David Hogg until now.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by polski View Post
    Man, what the fuck happened? Roseanne was like the only realistic depiction of the working poor on TV in the late 80s/early 90s, she had entire storylines about unionizing/labor/gay rights/racism, etc.
    Uh.... what about Al Bundy?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It's not like anyone was looking to Married with Children for stories of hope and of characters overcoming obstacles or growing as people.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    i didn't, either.
    Who ARE you? @kel is this you trying to send a message that you've been kidnapped?

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Fuck Roseanne, I just wanna know if Darlene and David ever got back together. They were so cute as a couple

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by polski View Post
    It's not like anyone was looking to Married with Children for stories of hope and of characters overcoming obstacles or growing as people.
    Do you remember this clip?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Yeah, yeah, I know it's sourced from TMZ, but it looks like the show may go on after all.

http://www.tmz.com/2018/06/01/abc-ta...ert-character/

"
    Roseanne" may be on the verge of rising from the dead with a second reboot, but this time centered around Sara Gilbert's character ... TMZ has learned.

Sources familiar with the situation tell TMZ ... the powers that be at ABC are exploring the possibility of re-branding the show and focusing on the character Darlene instead of Roseanne.

We're told Sara's been calling cast members to gauge their interest in the event ABC gives the reboot the green light. We're told John Goodman is "very interested."

Our sources say Tom Werner, who produced "Roseanne" through his company Carsey-Werner, is involved in the effort to reboot the show around Sara.

What's more ... ABC is desperately trying to salvage the jobs of those who were affected by its swift decision to cancel the show earlier this week ... especially for the writers and crew.

ABC canceled the show almost immediately after Roseanne tweeted President Obama adviser Valerie Jarrett is the spawn of the "muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes."

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    What's more ... ABC is desperately trying to salvage the jobs of those who were affected by its swift decision to cancel the show earlier this week ... especially for the writers and crew.
    This (if nothing else) is entirely bullshit, as I have been saying. They could program literally any kind of similar show in that slot and go into production with the same production crew down to the same budget. Would save them a few shekels to do it on the existing sets already built, mind you, and of course to keep ratings high out of the gate with a reboot would be a big plus for marketing. But the idea that ABC are desperately scrambling to put their crew to work is kind of a strange read on the situation (although I see it being repeated everywhere).
    Last edited by botley; 06-01-2018 at 09:31 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I honestly don't feel bad for the crew or cast. Roseanne has been a far alt-right bigoted nutbar for a while now. This isn't her first horrible tweet. She has said terrible shit before. These folks knew who they were getting in bed with. This was always gonna be a precarious situation. This is not surprising.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Yeah, yeah, I know it's sourced from TMZ, but it looks like the show may go on after all.

http://www.tmz.com/2018/06/01/abc-ta...ert-character/

"
    Roseanne" may be on the verge of rising from the dead with a second reboot, but this time centered around Sara Gilbert's character ... TMZ has learned.

Sources familiar with the situation tell TMZ ... the powers that be at ABC are exploring the possibility of re-branding the show and focusing on the character Darlene instead of Roseanne.

We're told Sara's been calling cast members to gauge their interest in the event ABC gives the reboot the green light. We're told John Goodman is "very interested."

Our sources say Tom Werner, who produced "Roseanne" through his company Carsey-Werner, is involved in the effort to reboot the show around Sara.

ABC canceled the show almost immediately after Roseanne tweeted President Obama adviser Valerie Jarrett is the spawn of the "muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes."
    Remember that awful show The Hogan Family? It was originally called "Valerie" and stared Valerie Harper. After a few seasons she was fired and the show was renamed. Her character was killed off. They could do the same with Roseanne...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    They should kill off Roseanne because of her lack of healthcare due to Trump

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    They should kill off Roseanne because of her lack of healthcare due to Trump
    Killing off her character could work. The reboot series was a huge hit, there is a built-in fanbase and there are plenty of places the show could go without Barr. It could be re-tooled as a new show with a new title and it could be explained that Roseanne Conner died during complications from surgery. In fact, in the finale she even spoke about her fear of dying from her upcoming operation.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    I posted it on fb but they should kill her off by having her fall into an ape enclosure.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Looks like they will be discussing a potential new show without Barr next week.

https://deadline.com/2018/06/roseann...ms-1202402239/

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Looks like they will be discussing a potential new show without Barr next week.

https://deadline.com/2018/06/roseann...ms-1202402239/
    Why bother? You dredge up a show that ended in 1997 for a reboot, she does her little stunt and gets the boot. Why continue the show at all at this point? It was off the air for 20+ years. No one is gonna miss it after being canned and off the air again.

Waste of time.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 06-03-2018 at 12:09 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Why bother? You dredge up a show that ended in 1997 for a reboot, she does her little stunt and gets the boot. Why continue the show at all at this point? It was off the air for 20+ years. No one is gonna miss it after being canned and off the air again.

Waste of time.
    I had some issues with the reboot (mostly with Barr), but overall, I thought it was pretty good. A Darlene focused show, dealing with David, her kids, father, sister, her job, it could work as a successful spin-off. If all this crap with Roseanne happened before the reboot aired that would be one thing, but the last season was rather good and a new show with these characters in 2018 has potential.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Also, why would you not want more John Goodman in your life?

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I honestly don't feel bad for the crew or cast. Roseanne has been a far alt-right bigoted nutbar for a while now. This isn't her first horrible tweet. She has said terrible shit before. These folks knew who they were getting in bed with. This was always gonna be a precarious situation. This is not surprising.
    Welcome to the party