Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: The Breeders

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)

The Breeders

I'm surprised we don't have a Breeders thread already.
    They are one of my favorite bands of all time.

They've got the Last Splash line-up reunited and a new album called All Nerve, produced by Steve Albini. And it's fucking awesome. These songs sound like they could be Last Splash outtakes.

Listening to this record REALLY makes me wish Kurt was still around; I could definitely imagine Nirvana sounding like this if they were still making music.
    Last edited by elevenism; 03-20-2018 at 01:05 AM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I think people just discussed them in the Pixies thread in the past.

One of my favorite bands. Last Splash was one of the first CD's I ever owned. Got it in my initial purchase from BMG Music Service in like 1993/1994.

Finally seeing them live in May. Long time coming and couldn't be more excited.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    New album is great.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I haven't heard the new album, but "Last Splash" is a classic!

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I remember buying Last Splash on the strength of "Cannonball", just like a shit-ton of other people did in the 90s, and I didn't connect with the rest of the album. I was, like, 17 years old then and pretty musically naive. Now I own the album again and I think it's borderline brilliant. Just as good as anything the Pixies did, IMO.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The Breeders > Pixies any day of the week

Love the new album. Kim Deal can do no wrong

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I heart Kim Deal's voice and bass tone so much. What a boss babe.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

The Breeders

I like the new album. I don't think All Nerve is the best thing they've ever done, but it's a lot better than Mountain Battles, which was kind of disappointing for me after Title TK. I tend to listen to Pod, Safari EP and Title TK (which not everybody likes, I guess) the most. Last Splash is undeniably a classic but I don't hear it quite as much as those three.

I'm seeing them in April in New York, my second time (I saw them during the Last Splash anniversary tour too).

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Finally saw our lovely Deal sisters live tonight! Terminal 5 (yecchh) in NYC. Setlist was very, very similar to this one from last night in Brooklyn:

1. The whole night felt like a big lovefest for the band from the crowd. Smiles and jokes all around. Good mix of material from all albums. Sure, they're not the tightest band, but thats the charm of it all. They get by bc of the fun factor and just that voice! Still sounds great all these years later. Happy to see such a huge crowd coming out. Although not a Pixies fan, Gigantic was a cool surprise (at least to me). GO see them if they come to your town!
    Last edited by bobbie solo; 05-02-2018 at 12:58 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Finally saw our lovely Deal sisters live tonight! Terminal 5 (yecchh) in NYC. Setlist was very, very similar to this one from last night in Brooklyn:

1. The whole night felt like a big lovefest for the band from the crowd. Smiles and jokes all around. Good mix of material from all albums. Sure, they're not the tightest band, but thats the charm of it all. They get by bc of the fun factor and just that voice! Still sounds great all these years later. Happy to see such a huge crowd coming out. Although not a Pixies fan, Gigantic was a cool surprise (at least to me). GO see them if they come to your town!
    I didn’t know they are touring!

I saw them a few years ago when they toured for the anniversary of Last Splash. What a great show, very intimate and fun.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I saw them the night before at Brooklyn Steel. I had a great time and it was just as you described. Kind of a love fest, although I thought they took a few songs to warm up. But a great show, slightly sloppy but in a charming way.

The guy next to me grabbed the set list and let me take a pic:

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I just got All Nerve for my birthday. Fucking awesome. Might be their best album.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    30th anniversary of Last Splash is next month. They're putting out a vinyl re-release of the album, with two unreleased songs. They'll also be touring this fall & playing the record in full.

The other unreleased song is a version of Divine Hammer with J Mascis on vocals. Pretty rad.