Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: The Many Saints of Newark (aka The Sopranos prequel movie)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

The Many Saints of Newark (aka The Sopranos prequel movie)

The Sopranos’ is set to return with a prequel movie

The acclaimed show ended in 2007 after six seasons

The Sopranos is set to return, with creator David Chase announcing a brand new prequel film based on the TV series.

The acclaimed HBO show ran for six seasons from 1999 to 2007, and starred the likes ofthe late James Gandolfini, Michael Imperioli and Edie Falco.

Chase has worked with,Sopranos writer Lawrence Konner on writing the script for the New Line-produced prequel, which is due to be set in the 1960s during the time of the infamous Newark riots. The new film currently has the working title The Many Saints of Newark.

Deadline have reported that some of the characters from the original series will be present in the film, including Tony Soprano’s father, Giovanni “Johnny Boy”, and a younger version of his wife Livia.

Warner Bros Pictures Group chairman Toby Emmerich spoke of his delight at securing the prequel, stating: “David is a masterful storyteller and we, along with our colleagues at HBO, are thrilled that he has decided to revisit, and enlarge, the Soprano universe in a feature film.”

A projected release date for The Many Saints of Newark has yet to be announced.

http://www.nme.com/news/film/the-sop...-chase-2257914
    Last edited by neorev; 03-08-2018 at 02:12 PM.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    The main idea could be a complete series in it's own right...

As long as Chase is involved, i'll be watching!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Always loved the scenes of junior and Tony's dad back in the day. Young junior was a remarkable bit of casting. This could work

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Coming to theaters & HBO Max on October 1st...

Can't wait to see James Gandolfini's son step into the role of a teenage Tony Soprano.

Crazy to think I created this thread over 3 years ago when it was first announced. Its release got delayed due to COVID.
    Last edited by neorev; 06-29-2021 at 03:18 PM.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I can't wait, Gandolfini's son looks just like Ton!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    A pretty good interview that makes me even more stoked for this movie! The movie drops October 1st.

David Chase is open for another story being told that is set in the Sopranos universe if one of the writers comes up with a great idea. It kinda sounds like some of the Sopranos writers are trying to do just that.

Chase said he wouldn't allow something Sopranos made without him, unless it was someone he trusted and respected, like Terrence Winter.

He was going to direct the Sopranos prequel movie. He really wanted to direct another movie, but had a family health incident that forced him to step back. He went with Alan Taylor who directed some of his favorite episodes of Sopranos. He still wants to make a movie.

He was working on a new mini series that is not Sopranos related called A Ribbon Of Dreams with HBO, but has chosen to scrap the project after HBO gave him a very low budget he felt would hurt telling the story.

This also led into some stuff about studio interference.

It gets into how just before COVID hit, there was a Sopranos resurgence happening with younger people that only grew throughout the pandemic.

I also pre-ordered the book Walk Up This Morning: The Definitive Oral History Of The Sopranos by Michael Imperioli and Steve Schirripa, who have their Talking Sopranos podcast. It's on YouTube and they have had loads of guests from the show on, including cast and crew, and even Chase himself. The book is out November 2nd.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0063090023...769ABF0YWY24Y2
    Last edited by neorev; 08-23-2021 at 03:16 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Has anyone seen this yet? I thought it was really disappointing...

It should have been a series.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    Has anyone seen this yet? I thought it was really disappointing...

It should have been a series.
    Pretty much El Camino of Sopranos. Competently made but so much of it is just meaningless fanservice and ofc fails to capture the tone of the show whatsoever.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    refuse to watch.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    refuse to watch.
    Same. I've not heard one good thing about.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I haven't been able to watch it, because HBO MAX (in my country) refused to put it on their service, so i might have to snatch a VPN...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I actually liked the film myself. Well acted, pretty well written and directed, and frankly better than nothing.

Have just finished the book too, which, having not watched the podcasts, is a more concise and structured way of experiencing it, partly because it's chronological.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I liked the movie, but i didn't love it.

It had many great scenes and i liked the story, but it felt too rushed and it needed more character development, i'm against making another "Soprano's series", but in this case this would have worked better.