Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The TV Shows (Spoilers)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Good lord! Remember when they were going to let the franchise rest? LOL!

Movies:
    Rogue Squadron (directed by Patty Jenkins, coming out Christmas, 2023)
    Untitled Taika Waititi Film

Disney+ Series:

Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christensen reprising their roles, directed by Deborah Chow)
    Ahsoka (previous rumors of her getting a spin-off are true, executive producers Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni)
    Rangers of the New Republic (Set within the timeline of The Mandalorian, executive producers Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni)
    Lando (Justin Simien is developing the story)
    Andor (tense nail-biting spy thriller created by Tony Gilroy, Diego Luna reprising his role as Cassian Andor, Alan Tudyk is back as the voice of K-2S0, also includes Stellan Skarsgard, Adria Arjona, Fiona Shaw, Denise Gough, Kyle Soller, and Genevieve O’Reilly as Mon Mothma. Coming in 2022)
    The Acolyte (Leslye Headland developing a mystery-thriller set in final days of the High Republic era)
    Star Wars: The Bad Batch (Animated series)
    Star Wars: Visions (series of animated short films celebrating Star Wars through the lens of the world’s best anime creators)
    A Droid Story (Animated series that will introduce us to a new hero, guided by legendary duo R2-D2 and C-3PO)

I'm excited for several of these, but I must say, it seems like OVERKILL!
    Apparently Ahsoka and Rangers of the New Republic will take place concurrently with The Mandalorian and the three shows will "build toward a larger story."
    I guess we can forget about the new trilogies that were to be helmed by Rian Johnson and David Benioff & D. B. Weiss?
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 12-10-2020 at 07:07 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    ...Hayden Christensen...
    but why?

look, i had a huge crush on him when i was younger, especially after seeing "life as a house", but he is not a very good actor, and he was almost as bad as jake lloyd in portraying anakin skywalker. granted, some of that was the dialogue in the prequels, but it was also partly him.

i wanted the obi-wan show to focus on, you know, obi-wan. it's not like he and vader had any contact between the volcano and the death star, so why bring vader into it?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    I also don't get why the internet is cheering about that. Is it because we get to see Vader in his armor again or have they forgotten about Christensen's atrocious performance? Guy seems chill, so no offense, but his role was terribly written and his acting even more so. Looks like most people's judgement is clouded by what they got to see in TCW and Rebels which is pretty far away from what Hayden did with the character, eventhough he did way better in Revenge of the Sith than in Clones.

Really curious on what they will be bringing to the screen. Vader hunting the remaining Jedi confronting Obi Wan who's protecting Luke along the way? Or will they be doing flashbacks before Anakin became Vader?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Can we please consider this spinoff canon?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Haha that second one is pure gold! Academy? Are you seeing this?!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

also WTF is a Mortis?

Last edited by allegate; 12-14-2020 at 03:29 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    also WTF is a Mortis?
    Oh christ...Mortis is this mysterious object Obiwan, Anakin, and Ahsoka come across in space (you can see their ship approaching it in that upper image) / equally mysterious world they arrive in after being pulled in by the object. This occurs in season 3 of Clone Wars and spans 3 or 4 of the most batshit insane episodes of the series I've encountered so far. That's all I'll say as to not spoil the arc if you are interested. And that's not to say there is anything especially revelatory but it's a bit of a mindfuck and I didn't fully grasp it until I did some supplemental reading online.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    So... I've started a re-watch of the movies now that I have them all on blu-ray... and so far, with The Phantom Menace, the biggest thing that gets to me is the VFX. The real assets on digital backgrounds don't quite look right. The digital assets on real backgrounds stand out as well. The digital on digital looks quite nice... but when the digital and the real assets interact, usually the digital assets have more detail in their clothing and features... the real assets look, sometimes, out of focus in comparison.

Roger, Roger...

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    So... I've started a re-watch of the movies now that I have them all on blu-ray... and so far, with The Phantom Menace, the biggest thing that gets to me is the VFX. The real assets on digital backgrounds don't quite look right. The digital assets on real backgrounds stand out as well. The digital on digital looks quite nice... but when the digital and the real assets interact, usually the digital assets have more detail in their clothing and features... the real assets look, sometimes, out of focus in comparison.

Roger, Roger...

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Attack of the Clones... same issue... still Jar-Jarring. Digital with digital looks alright. Real with real looks fine. But when the digital and the real interact you've got fuzzy halos for the real.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    This is now a thread about all of the Star Wars TV shows: past, present and future. The Mandalorian will keep its own thread for now, but I'll probably merge it into this one at some point later in 2021.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

A few surprising names in there...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    What's the point of having Hayden Christensen in it? Flashback scenes, or just to please the fans?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    they did a terrible job on the crop for Bonnie's picture. lolwtf?

a very diverse cast, and I wonder if Kumail will still have his Eternals look? I know he's said that he's enjoyed it and has tried to keep it up during lockdown but I have to think he's gotta do that for when the movie is finally released and then he can go back to normal.

edit

didn't even notice this.

Last edited by allegate; 03-29-2021 at 10:08 AM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    What's the point of having Hayden Christensen in it? Flashback scenes, or just to please the fans?
    Force ghost appearances is my guess. He (infamously) appeared this way at the end of Return of the Jedi and I think that's how he'll be involved in this show, but flashback scenes are also a strong possibility. I'll be a little surprised if he plays a large role as Darth Vader, though I'm sure it's incredibly hard for Disney to resist that urge since he's one of the most popular villains of all time, so who knows. Maybe he will be, but they won't actually meet face-to-face? Like maybe Vader will be searching for him? Seems like that would be pointless to do, though, since they're not supposed to meet again until A New Hope.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    "from a certain point of view" is doing a lot of work in the canon of some of these stories.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I guess, now that I think about it, they don't actually say that the two don't see each other until A New Hope, do they? Like there's nothing saying that they have zero interaction between ROTS and ANH, is there?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner. Now, *I* am the master.
    I mean they already screwed that up with the fight in the lava field because Obi-Wan left him. But if they were already fast and lose with words and timeline why not keep going.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    According to the press release this Obi Wan Kenobi series takes place 10 years after Episode 3, and Episode 4 is 19 years after Episode 3, so...who knows how Hayden will be involved here.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    are there any fans who actually liked him as anakin? like even people who like the prequels (which i won't judge them for) have to be able to admit that he's just fucking awful.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I mean they already screwed that up with the fight in the lava field because Obi-Wan left him. But if they were already fast and lose with words and timeline why not keep going.
    Could always give some of that line a different interpretation, "when i left you" could mean the collective you as in the Jedi Order instead of Obi-Wan personally.

Anakin was still a student of the Jedi before he went dark and slaughtered everyone in the temple, i mean yeah he was granted the rank of master but i don't think the council ever considered him a fully minted Jedi Master.

Now as Vader he wants to boast about how he's so much better off as a Dark Lord of the Sith. "Old fool, before i left your stupid club i was weak af. Look at me now! YOU GONNA GET REKT!"

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I think "When I left you" is kind of a commonly used phrase or saying that could be substituted with "last time I saw you" or "where we left off" and doesn't need to be taken so literally. I don't think it necessarily implies that the person speaking was the first one to leave during their last interaction.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    It’s hard to imagine Lucas had all six movies in mind when he wrote Star Wars (aka A New Hope), I doubt he was thinking about when he would sell it to Disney so they could pull out every single story line from every character possible.

I’m excited to see Kumail Nanjiani in a Star Wars role for sure though, that’s awesome.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post

A few surprising names in there...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I wonder if Kumail will still have his Eternals look?
    My money is 100% on Kumail voicing a droid.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    First episode of The Bad Batch is out.

Love seeing this transition period from the Republic to the Empire.

The intro is very interesting as it does something slightly different than what i remember one of the comics doing.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Someone made an A-Team style intro for The Bad Batch.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)