Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The TV Shows (Spoilers)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

I laughed.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

An animated Star Wars short from Studio Ghibli will premiere on D+ tomorrow!

EDIT: Just finished watching it. It's very short, but very cute.
    Last edited by otnavuskire; 11-12-2022 at 08:25 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    That was probably the best "moving the pieces into play" episode of television I've seen in a while. Every thread was plucked and moved into place, now all that's left is to see who's left standing (minus Andor and Melshi, of course) at the end of the season.

That space scene was great. I had totally forgotten about the scene by this point in the season - it was in the trailers - so when it happened it felt fresh again. I'm sure the ship will be destroyed next episode and then the LEGO model will be announced, much like the Razor Crest.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    That was probably the best "moving the pieces into play" episode of television I've seen in a while. Every thread was plucked and moved into place, now all that's left is to see who's left standing (minus Andor and Melshi, of course) at the end of the season.

That space scene was great. I had totally forgotten about the scene by this point in the season - it was in the trailers - so when it happened it felt fresh again. I'm sure the ship will be destroyed next episode and then the LEGO model will be announced, much like the Razor Crest.
    I loved the blue haze of the atmosphere in that scene, and realized its not something that I can remember seeing in Star Wars before this. I really hope the Fondor isnt wrecked!!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    I loved the blue haze of the atmosphere in that scene, and realized its not something that I can remember seeing in Star Wars before this.
    I remember it at the start of the first movie...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    I remember it at the start of the first movie...

Maybe it just wasn't so distinctive, regardless it's a badass scene!

Now that the season is almost over, I can safely say this is my favorite Star Wars series.

1.) Andor (best!!)
    2.) Obi Wan (flaws aside, I LOVED IT! I needed that RotS sequel!)
    3.) Mando (sorry Dave)
    4.) BoBF (just meh)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Just finished the finale and agreed: This is the best of the Star Wars shows IMO. I really like how they showed the oppressive Empire from the ground level. I don't recall another non-animated show that just showed the effects on the average person in the universe. Also FYI: there is a nice little end-credit that I almost missed.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Just finished Andor last night. Blown away. The casting, the acting, the script, the score...absolutely fantastic. Nothing felt forced or cheap and it was absolutely the best thing Star Wars since Rouge One (no coincidence). One minor thing that stuck out to me, in a good way, was the lack of fantastical creatures shoehorned in for absolutely no reason. They let the story and the characters stand on their own and it worked flawlessly. I can't wait for season 2.

Edit: Also, was it just me or did you get TR+AR Watchmen vibes from the score, particularly later in the season?
    Last edited by cdm; 12-06-2022 at 09:14 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    did you notice that the opening theme kept adding instruments?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    did you notice that the opening theme kept adding instruments?
    I had not but I'm just now digging into the score itself. I had avoided it in case any of the titles contained spoilers. So good.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Casual Star Wars guy here (i.e. I've only seen the movies plus Mandalorian and Andor, don't care enough to delve into extended universe stuff). Not a fan of either the prequel or sequel trilogy, despite having enjoyed aspects of both. Really enjoyed Rogue One.

Now that I have established myself in the SW appreciation matrix, I agree that Andor is probably the best Star Wars story I've seen so far. Very satisfying, as was the Mandalorian, but in a different way. While Mandalorian has this colorful, light entertainment adventure style, Andor has this more gritty, down-to-earth, real vibe, without becoming tiresome or sacrificing impressive scenery and set-pieces. The exploration of the Empire's oppressive, bureaucratic banality opened up a new field of themes to explore, which, coupled with some very well-developed characters and dialogue, and good acting of course, brought the universe to life in a way not before seen, not by me at least. Andor gave the SW universe depth, and I don't mean to denigrate the rest of the catalogue saying this.

Good stuff!

Edit: Oh, I also like how the season feels like three separate parts brought together: The first few establishing episodes in Ferrix is one part, the whole Aldhani business is the second part and the prison facility plus the finale is the third part. In less capable hands this could have hampered the overall season flow, but they executed it perfectly!
    Last edited by Alexandros; 12-07-2022 at 08:16 AM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Over the 12 episodes I have one single gripe: are we to believe the Empire doesn't employ biometrics? How on earth was Andor able to go to prison as Keef without being found out? I'm more than happy to overlook that for the sake of the story...I just felt that was something that should have been addressed somehow.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Well hi...

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    Over the 12 episodes I have one single gripe: are we to believe the Empire doesn't employ biometrics? How on earth was Andor able to go to prison as Keef without being found out? I'm more than happy to overlook that for the sake of the story...I just felt that was something that should have been addressed somehow.
    It was address, sort of. I mean it's not overt at all so I only know this from watching some videos from the real Star Wars Nerds who can read (or at least have someone translate for them) the Aurebesh language. When he's arrested for the crime he didn't commit that's the first step in the Empire's overreach: they just want some warm bodies. The second part is the sentencing. Apparently if you could read the papers that were being run through the credit card carbon machine you'd see that it a) it wasn't even Andor b) it wasn't the crimes he was being convicted of and c) something else but I can't recall offhand.

You could blame it on editing but the most like explanation is already in-universe: they just want some warm bodies and they don't care how they get them. They used the Aldhani thing to pass the new security rules to catch the terrorists, kind of like the Patriot Act that was passed, and then proceeded to use the new powers to just round up as many persons as possible. Also kind of like the Patriot Act.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    It was address, sort of. I mean it's not overt at all so I only know this from watching some videos from the real Star Wars Nerds who can read (or at least have someone translate for them) the Aurebesh language. When he's arrested for the crime he didn't commit that's the first step in the Empire's overreach: they just want some warm bodies. The second part is the sentencing. Apparently if you could read the papers that were being run through the credit card carbon machine you'd see that it a) it wasn't even Andor b) it wasn't the crimes he was being convicted of and c) something else but I can't recall offhand.
    Yeah, the warm bodies for production is clear. But at the same time they are looking for Andor pretty actively so they could have found him and put the next prisoner in his place had they used very basic technology. Like I said, I'm happy to hand wave it.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    The Mandalorian Season 3 Trailer Release Date Revealed
    A new The Mandalorian season 3 trailer release date has been revealed, confirming a new look is arriving early next week. Disney+'s hit Star Wars show is returning after over two years away for what promises to be a huge season. The marketing for The Mandalorian season 3 has teased the next evolution of Din Djarin and Grogu's journey, which includes a return to Mandalore and the possibility of a new war between the various Mandalorian factions.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandros View Post
    Casual Star Wars guy here (i.e. I've only seen the movies plus Mandalorian and Andor, don't care enough to delve into extended universe stuff). Not a fan of either the prequel or sequel trilogy, despite having enjoyed aspects of both. Really enjoyed Rogue One.

Now that I have established myself in the SW appreciation matrix, I agree that Andor is probably the best Star Wars story I've seen so far.
    Oh, word? I fucking LOVED Rogue One, and i think it's a LITTLE better than TFA.
    In fact, minus the nostalgia and excitement for TFA, R1 is the better film, for sure.
    (i'm a 'Prequels Don't Exist' man, and also a 'Seven was fucking great/why didn't they keep doing THAT' man).

I'll have to check out this Andor, then.

I've not seen Andor, but, shit.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    watch Andor dude. I'm seeing all sorts of SW casuals and even people that dont watch SW shit at all talking the show up. It's REALLY good.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Andor is a masterpiece. It's one of the best things with the words "Wars" and "Star" on its title. It's unbelievable.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    The first 3 episodes of Bad Batch S2 has been enjoyable... looking forward to the rest.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Andor is the best thing Disney has put out, and it's possibly the best Star Wars medium PERIOD.

Hard to believe, that I had zero interest in this show before it came out. Don't sleep on it, it's slow, deliberate, mature, packed with drama, I can't say enough good things about it. Wasn't a huge fan of Rogue One, so it was just meh at first.

It's telling that the "fan edit" I have of the show for my 33 hour Star Wars (no sequel nonsense, ends with the patteson/pentonix cut of BoBF), live action playlist, doesn't remove or add anything, it just stitched the episodes together. Hard to improve upon perfection.

I have also come around on Rogue one. Especially when the Deep Fakes are improved upon. I have a version with the Darth Porg mods and Peter Cushing looks frighteningly lifelike now.

Both these programs, really amplify all other star wars.
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 01-17-2023 at 11:41 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    So, space whales. Huh.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    So, space whales. Huh.
    Yep, they play heavily into the story with the end of Star Wars Rebels and where Ezra and Thrawn were taken which might be addressed in the Ahsoka series.

Last edited by thelastdisciple; 03-03-2023 at 12:33 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    you guys just made me think of this cover:

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    They looked more like tentacle-laden Lovecraftian squid-like creatures to me. Either way, good first episode!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    finally watched S3E1... yup, those were the Purrgil that Grogu sensed and saw.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Watched Ep1 last night and I thought it was a good start. Nice little dogfight scene yet it did leave me wanting a bit after that ridiculously good haulcraft scene in Andor. Maybe he'll pay Peli yet another visit for some aftermarket devices. Cara Dune's explainer was a little too complimentary for my taste. Spoiler: Special forces? Eaten by some sort of creature smelling like a sewer would be more fitting? Looking forward to Wednesday.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    interesting theory/breakdown:
    I don’t like where it’s going with the child

It’s the first episode back so they have to pay it on thick
    It looks cute now. Sure.

But this is why the Jedi took force capable kids to train them away from indulging their impulses.
    He’s playing with the force. He’s stealing food with the force.
    He’s grabbing people with no consent.

He’s already a handful for mando who keeps having to tell him don’t do that.

Imagine what he’s gonna be like in his teens v
    I think they’re going somewhere with this
    also: