Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Something that confuses me about A Warm Place/Crystal Japan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Something that confuses me about A Warm Place/Crystal Japan

The similarities between AWP and Crystal Japan are obvious, we don't need to get into that, but I was listening to them both last night when a thought occurred to me;

How would Trent even have heard Crystal Japan?

Crystal Japan was released as a single in Japan in 1980. TR would have been 15. This is well before the days of the internet and file sharing. Obscure singles like that didn't get heard by American teenagers. So, how could he even have heard it in the first place?

Another thing which baffles me; he obviously didn't steal the melody intentionally, but it's also unlikely he could have heard it so many years prior that he forgot he'd ever heard it, yet remembered the melody almost verbatim.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Akuratyde View Post
    The similarities between AWP and Crystal Japan are obvious, we don't need to get into that, but I was listening to them both last night when a thought occurred to me;

How would Trent even have heard Crystal Japan?

Crystal Japan was released as a single in Japan in 1980. TR would have been 15. This is well before the days of the internet and file sharing. Obscure singles like that didn't get heard by American teenagers. So, how could he even have heard it in the first place?

Another thing which baffles me; he obviously didn't steal the melody intentionally, but it's also unlikely he could have heard it so many years prior that he forgot he'd ever heard it, yet remembered the melody almost verbatim.
    It's completely possible. Record stores and collectors would write to one another and ship music back and forth internationally all the time. As for an artist like Bowie NOTHING was that rare...he was Bowie. Reznor was a fan and did his legwork, that's all. And, if he heard it later in life, after he'd started NIN, he'd have had even more access to music as a successful musician.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    From Wikipedia:

Other releasesEdit

Or he heard the Japanese beer commercial lol.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    It's clearly part of a 40 year ARG that they were working on together

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I think Ryko reissue of Scary Monsters is a pretty safe bet

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    They aren't even that similar..

The end of the small motif is completely different, for example. And the damn chords don't line up.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Regardless, Trent has acknowledged, not in so many words, that it is kind of a copy

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I think Ryko reissue of Scary Monsters is a pretty safe bet
    This. TR also sampled the first track on this disc for the reversed vocal blurt in "Pinion".

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    They aren't even that similar..

The end of the small motif is completely different, for example. And the damn chords don't line up.
    I’m not a musician. I can’t break down chords or tell anyone what time signature is in a beat. But come on- anyone with ears can hear how similar these two songs are.

:P

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    I’m not a musician. I can’t break down chords or tell anyone what time signature is in a beat. But come on- anyone with ears can hear how similar these two songs are.

:P
    It's easier when you know there is an indirect inspiration there, but if you don't know it and are not looking for anything, it's not striking.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    It's easier when you know there is an indirect inspiration there, but if you don't know it and are not looking for anything, it's not striking.
    I don’t think anyone is saying that it’s a note for note ripoff- it’s not. However if I was listening to Spotify or something and heard it for the first time without knowing anything about it, it would definitely be one of those “I heard that song before, what is that?...” moments.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Aside from flourishes and some structural differences, the songs are almost identical.