Likes Likes:  0
Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Rest In Peace - Christopher Hitchens.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    born under punches
    Posts
    2,180
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

    Rest In Peace - Christopher Hitchens.

    I'm not ashamed to admit I cried when I read this news. This man is one of the reasons for my intellectual growth. Thanks for all the help, Hitch.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ballston Spa, New York
    Posts
    547
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    This man is one of the reasons for my intellectual growth.
    Agreed. I'm going to miss his writing, but I won't mourn him. He would have probably thought that was foolish.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Donegal, Ireland
    Posts
    2,921
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    724
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I vehemently echo all three posts above mine. Rest in peace without pain, Hitch.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    332
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Thanks for the laughs and making me think, bye Christopher Hitchens. On behalf of my own need to express things, not because I actually think he's listening.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    186
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The thing he wanted most in life was vindication. Although he never got it, I hope he left us knowing it wasn't far away.

    RIP Hitch

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,493
    Mentioned
    498 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danebraddy View Post
    The thing he wanted most in life was vindication. Although he never got it, I hope he left us knowing it wasn't far away.

    RIP Hitch
    It's very upsetting to lose someone so brilliant, but I guess it's been coming, even though I'd hoped it wouldn't come so soon. Also, his death has come with a deluge of moronic "enjoy hell!" posts from Christians, and my socialist friends are feeling the need to attack his legacy for his conservative leanings, especially with regards to his defense of the Iraq war.

    Still, I've disagreed with him on many points, agreed with him on many others, but I'll miss his input. Love him or hate him, he was a great voice, and he should be missed.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    born under punches
    Posts
    2,180
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    It's very upsetting to lose someone so brilliant, but I guess it's been coming, even though I'd hoped it wouldn't come so soon. Also, his death has come with a deluge of moronic "enjoy hell!" posts from Christians, and my socialist friends are feeling the need to attack his legacy for his conservative leanings, especially with regards to his defense of the Iraq war.

    Still, I've disagreed with him on many points, agreed with him on many others, but I'll miss his input. Love him or hate him, he was a great voice, and he should be missed.
    Exactly. I can't say I agree with his views on Iraq or Bush, but that disagreement doesn't make him any less of one of the few, great public intellectuals we have.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,721
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I just wish he'd made his position on the European far-right a bit clearer, they treat him like a saint for giving them ostensibly rational reasons to hate Muslims.

    I find it funny how popular he is amongst the left, given what an advocate of US unilateralism he was

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,493
    Mentioned
    498 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I just wish he'd made his position on the European far-right a bit clearer, they treat him like a saint for giving them ostensibly rational reasons to hate Muslims.

    I find it funny how popular he is amongst the left, given what an advocate of US unilateralism he was
    He also gets reviled by the left. I rarely agreed with his political stances, and I hated his passive aggressive argument in Vanity Fair about how "women aren't funny because of evolution." It was gross.

    He was an antagonistic and stubborn man, but he was also a brilliant and eloquent mind.

    When I find myself agreeing with him, it's very fun to hear him out. When I disagree, it's at least thought provoking. He was well spoken and very obviously brilliant. That should be enough to forgive the fact that I don't give a fuck what he thought about Bush, as much as I'd hope a religious person could still see his eloquent side, and appreciate his stubborness.

    It might bias me that I agree with his general world view, but I think that's where he spoke the strongest, and where I agree the most.

    Random to bump this up though, yeah?
    Last edited by Jinsai; 05-25-2012 at 06:12 AM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,721
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Random...? I'm new so I'm looking over past threads for things of interest... Is it bad form to revive dormant threads?

    I'd love to get on-side with the four horsemen of atheism, but I'm not so sure the world can cope with en masse moral relativism. I don't buy all that clash of civilisations stuff either. And Iraq pretty much killed the neocon approach to IR theory's credibility stone dead... everything they said they wouldn't have to do, they ended up doing. pretty much everything unfolded to the contrary to such a degree that one can't help but conclude that big stick & bandwaggoning logic are utter bollocks

    But nonetheless, Hitch was a million times better than his moron brother... is it too late to trade?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,493
    Mentioned
    498 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Random...? I'm new so I'm looking over past threads for things of interest... Is it bad form to revive dormant threads?
    No... just thought it was a little random. It's definitely not bad form.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North Of Canada, MI
    Posts
    352
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Shortly after he died I learned he was on Charlie Rose, so I watched the interview. It was very interesting, but kind of upsetting to watch because he looked so bad due to the cancer. One thing that struck me, especially since he'd already died at this point, was that he said he wanted to be awake when he passed. He said that it was a new experience and he wanted to be conscious for it. I didn't really know how to react to that. Not sure I even do now.

Posting Permissions