Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Not The Actual Events: schizophreniasdiary

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by becomingtom View Post
    Also, I'm a little surprised that no one is mentioning the Jermaine Rogers artwork for the Houston show.
    He recently put more out for sale, they are already sold out though.
    Reason I mention it though is that I never noticed the title for it before, "The Choice We've Made". Which seems like it could be a song title.
    Then the words underneath it in the description it says " We stand around with our teeth in our mouths, and we take it.
    We watch the desecration, day after day. We forget that we have hands." Seems like those could be lyrics
    A few people have started looking into the tour posters. I agree with everything you said, especially about potential lyrics!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Also, I'm a little surprised that no one is mentioning the Jermaine Rogers artwork for the Houston show.
    Reason I mention it though is that I never noticed the title for it before, "The Choice We've Made". Which seems like it could be a song title.
    Then the words underneath it in the description it says " We stand around with our teeth in our mouths, and we take it.
    We watch the desecration, day after day. We forget that we have hands." Seems like those could be lyrics
    This was already discussed.

We have no information at all. The best we can do is speculate.

Before anyone gets too excited, remember that there were several poems/messages on the With Teeth poster which have never been released in a musical format.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    This was already discussed.

We have no information at all. The best we can do is speculate.

Before anyone gets too excited, remember that there were several poems/messages on the With Teeth poster which have never been released in a musical format.
    So...WITH_TEETH_DELUXE confirmed?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    So...WITH_TEETH_DELUXE confirmed?
    Sure, in 2005.

Actually, he said he wanted to release the album with a book or essay attached at some point. That the package would be changed in some way and everything would make sense. This may have became the Year Zero ARG.

I guess it could still happen at some point.

As with anything NIN, don't hold your breath; it might never happen.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    We have had the William Gibson thing have we? Don't see it in the thread here but it seems familiar. Just googling away here..

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Sure, in 2005.

Actually, he said he wanted to release the album with a book or essay attached at some point. That the package would be changed in some way and everything would make sense. This may have became the Year Zero ARG.

Oh believe me, I remember. I'm still waiting for it to make sense...

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    Who is Kraw again?
    I believe he did the artwork for the first 2 EP's
    "NIN Art Director" also for the reissued Definitive Edition vinyl releases and The Fragile: Deviations 1

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by astfgyl View Post
    We have had the William Gibson thing have we? Don't see it in the thread here but it seems familiar. Just googling away here..
    Trent Reznor collaborated with William Gibson?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Sure, in 2005.

Still waiting for that proshot TDS era show.

Or the footage from the Wave Goodbye club shows, IIRC some of those were filmed.

Or the full Tension 2013 show.

How about the Zac De La Rocha album? Tapeworm?

Love Gun, Sex Dwarf and Just Do It

the list goes on

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Trent Reznor collaborated with William Gibson?
    Can't tell if you're joking or not. Just that when I googled "glassy bending flexible" it came up as being from a novel by William Gibson. That, along with another bit about burnt matches in the same or next line made me think that it is there for a reason in the hidden lyrics. I still feel like that has been brought up here before but I don't see it after running through the thread here.

Edit. Found a link to an interesting review of the book it is from. Some good food for thought there a few parallels maybe. Thought the statement about the leather jacket and sunglasses was funny, too.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/the-peripheral-by-william-gibson-prescient-plausible-tale-of-time-travel-1.2010653

And reviewed by a Peter Murphy for extra coincidence points
    Last edited by astfgyl; 03-05-2018 at 04:49 PM. Reason: A link

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I think there is a reason for all of the musical/lyrical/packaging callbacks. It all feels like a fuzzy memory of something that may or may not have happened. Maybe that is as far as it goes and that is the idea he is trying to convey, I don't really know, but I feel we are being gently nudged towards something.

While I was thinking about it earlier and listening to NTAE, it occurred to me that the main guitar riff in BB(FOF) is a lot like the riff from Piggy (Nothing Can Stop Me Now), only slowed down and pitched down an octave or so. Try it yourselves, the progression at the very least is similar. Funnily enough it was the same guitarist credited on both. I'm not saying it is the same take but there might be something there in the similarity and if there is, I think it is a crumb thrown our way but not the key to an ARG or anything. Just another example of the fuzzy memory theme seemingly (to me) running through the EP.
    I tried speeding up my turntable a bit to try and play "Burning Bright" at that same insane Piggy remix tempo, and in the end resorted to pitching it up further (well over an octave) in Adobe Audition.

Anyway, I give you the result: Alvin & The Chipmunks Sing NIN.

when I googled "glassy bending flexible" it came up as being from a novel by William Gibson. That, along with another bit about burnt matches in the same or next line made me think that it is there for a reason in the hidden lyrics.
    Are you talking about the words "glassy and flexible" on the first page of the first chapter of The Peripheral? That's not even the same phrase.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    1 minute I'll find the page again

OK you're right it doesn't have "bending". The NTAE hidden text says

glassy and flexible
    She's the hour hand
    See Im doing stubs of burnt matches matches down inside that
    And the line I found was

He hadn’t bothered to bring the shop vac down from the garage, just bombed the inside a good inch thick with this Chinese polymer, dried glassy and flexible. You could see stubs of burnt matches down inside that, or the cork-patterned paper on the squashed filter of a legally sold cigarette, older than she was.
    I found it at http://www.penguin.com/ajax/books/excerpt/9780425276235

Last edited by astfgyl; 03-05-2018 at 04:59 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    So... I'm not sure what I'm meant to infer: that this is another key phrase meant to throw us on the trail of YZ2 (traced out carefully, years in advance of this EP, via dodgy-looking anonymous blogs and references to reasonably well-received Sci-Fi novels with almost but not quite the same phrases in them)...?

Or that the text insertions are random lifts deliberately meant purely to screw with us?
    Last edited by botley; 03-05-2018 at 06:48 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    So... I'm not sure what I'm meant to infer: that this is another key phrase meant to throw us on the trail of YZ2 (traced out carefully, years in advance of this EP, via dodgy-looking anonymous blogs and references to reasonably well-received Sci-Fi novels with almost but not quite the same phrases in them)...?

Or that the text insertions are random lifts deliberately meant purely to screw with us?
    I don't know what you are meant to infer. Maybe they help to build a narrative. I have already come out and said I don't think it is an ARG or YZ2. Seriously though, do you think that it is pure coincidence? And why are you so against the idea of there being some relation there?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I'm a fan of William Gibson and I don't think the book is more than tangentially related to the 'narrative' of the EPs so far. It does concern the characters' attempts to contact alternate realities, the events of which are drawn inexorably together once they make contact. So maybe that's an important clue.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I'm a fan of William Gibson and I don't think the book is more than tangentially related to the 'narrative' of the EPs so far. It does concern the characters' attempts to contact alternate realities, the events of which are drawn inexorably together once they make contact. So maybe that's an important clue.
    Oh we are in agreement there, I don't think there is like an "answer" of any sort to be found in that book, beyond what you are saying. I just thought it was interesting to find it as a result of the hidden text. From what I can see, and I haven't read the book I've just read a single review of it, he might have read it himself and taken a little inspiration from that. Maybe not even for the whole EP, maybe just informed a little of his thinking as he was writing lyrics for that one song. It could just be that he is a fan of Gibsons' work and would like to tip his hat to him. I haven't read any of Gibsons' books, but after chasing that text up and reading the review it sounded like something I might like to get around to. It could be as simple as that, and it probably is.

Most of the time here I'm not really looking for any type of answer, I just enjoy the hunt for more food for thought regarding NTAE. Much as I am always looking for more lore around The Fragile, even all of this time later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just stumbled on this and found it so interesting I decided to make an account to ask: Did this really just get dropped? It seems like a very short window of time to discuss this, and seems weird nothing about it was compared to Bad Witch. Is there a thread somewhere that continues this analysis that I am not finding?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Priestess View Post
    I just stumbled on this and found it so interesting I decided to make an account to ask: Did this really just get dropped? It seems like a very short window of time to discuss this, and seems weird nothing about it was compared to Bad Witch. Is there a thread somewhere that continues this analysis that I am not finding?
    The general feeling is that there was never an ARG. Little pieces of narrative are floating around, and that's really it. What little we had to go on died after the Panel K manual reveal, when TR felt the narrative was becoming too obvious.

I'm quite disappointed that there was no physical component to Bad Witch. Apparently that became the 'Physical World' ticket pre-sale, which is something I'm happy I never got to experience (sounded awful).

Anyway, the music's good, and that's the most important thing.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    The general feeling is that there was never an ARG. Little pieces of narrative are floating around, and that's really it. What little we had to go on died after the Panel K manual reveal, when TR felt the narrative was becoming too obvious.

I'm quite disappointed that there was no physical component to Bad Witch. Apparently that became the 'Physical World' ticket pre-sale, which is something I'm happy I never got to experience (sounded awful).

Anyway, the music's good, and that's the most important thing.
    I'm still hung up that that blog is either a clue/ARG seed that never went anywhere or Reznor stole thoughts and ideas from a mentally unbalanced person.

And the Physical World pre-sale wasn't all that bad. We got exclusive merch and got to hear AOO and PTGP a few weeks early.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    I'm still hung up that that blog is either a clue/ARG seed that never went anywhere or Reznor stole thoughts and ideas from a mentally unbalanced person.

And the Physical World pre-sale wasn't all that bad. We got exclusive merch and got to hear AOO and PTGP a few weeks early.
    I think that the physical world presale was great. I didn’t make any new friends, I didn’t have a life changing experience, but it’s a fair way to get tickets to the people who want them the most.

Years ago when I was 18 I went to Night of Nothing and we had to stand in line forever for tickets then too and i’ll always remember it.

I think we value what we earn.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    ^Yes things like this get stored in memory.

I'll never forget that time in Toronto when all the Spiral members showed up super early to wait in the spiral line, eagerly waiting for their early entry so that we could claim our spot at the front. If we were lucky we would get a sound check!

Well... we were all lined up at the wrong spot at first and everyone was moved about 500 meters, as a result of the migration several people lost their spot. People were not happy.

Then after 5-7 hours of waiting we stood there in line as we watched the FUCKING GA/NORMAL line start getting let in for a good 5-10 minutes before we got let in... us Spiral members stood there pissed fucking off.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Physical World Presale was generally a nightmare in the bigger markets of the tour. NYC was absolutely brutal. Waited for over 5 hours in the rain for decent Orch. seats, and then buddy of mine swooped in the day of the show and got far better orchestra seats that were released that afternoon. The line in Chicago seemed to go on forever. More shows got added (esp. in LA), less need to wait initially became apparent. Fucking mess.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    ^Yes things like this get stored in memory.

I'll never forget that time in Toronto when all the Spiral members showed up super early to wait in the spiral line, eagerly waiting for their early entry so that we could claim our spot at the front. If we were lucky we would get a sound check!

Well... we were all lined up at the wrong spot at first and everyone was moved about 500 meters, as a result of the migration several people lost their spot. People were not happy.

Then after 5-7 hours of waiting we stood there in line as we watched the FUCKING GA/NORMAL line start getting let in for a good 5-10 minutes before we got let in... us Spiral members stood there pissed fucking off.
    At the Irving show last year, only about 20-30 people showed up hours before the show, and everyone else arrived within an hour of the doors opening. I got there 3 hours in advance and was the last of the early group. Anyway, after the rest of the people got there, at only 6 minutes til the doors opened, with no announcement, the staff came out and started a second line to get wristbands for the floor. So a line forms that's hundreds of people long behind the people who had been in line, and the only way to tell what it was for was to be far enough back that you could see a sign they'd put up saying "wristbands".

I went over and started arguing with the lady that was handling the wristbands about all the people who had waited so long having to go to the back of the line 6 minutes before the doors open, but before things got too heated a girl I didn't know at the front said something like, "good thing you and I came together and I held your spot." So thanks to this girl I got to get a wristband right then instead of having to wait, and in return I brought her back to the front of the actual line where someone was actually holding my spot. In the end it worked out and we both got on the rail, but anyone who didn't run into a kind stranger in line had to go all the way to the back after waiting for hours. It was by far the most incompetent event planning I've ever seen, and it actively punished people who got there early.

So, there's my story dumb concert story that I'll never forget.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    What’s going on here? It’s seems we’re way off topic. My theory is that lynch wrote the blog to inspire Reznor and we got the first ep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    My theory is that lynch wrote the blog to inspire Reznor and we got the first ep.
    If true, that makes a lot of sense. It doesn't feel like something TR would write. Lynch, though? I can believe that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If true, that makes a lot of sense. It doesn't feel like something TR would write. Lynch, though? I can believe that.
    I could imagine TR maybe writing that kind of stuff in the early 90's, deep within his darker moments. Perhaps an exert from one of his old journals?

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Ask Trent about this:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Still a fascinating website. Great way with words.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)

This is like years later. But the bringing up of this thread again I know the answer... Actually, just Jermaine coming up with that quote. Just about the world we live in today. He gave me a very eloquent response over email about it.

Anyways... Back on topic!

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    https://schizophreniasdiary.wordpress.com/
    Too many coincidences... from May 2011!
    Looks like the lyrics from Branches/Bones are taken from this article.

EDIT - Some excerpts from the article:
    I feel Im in the middle and can see Im doing bad stuff but I can see me doing it and not care as well. I dont care more, I dont care about
    especially her so much like a piece of wire but the wires her bones, veins and skin
    Apple get ripped from tress slowly and painfully from branchs, branches are fucking bones
    SARS infected Japanese
    cocksucking chicken wing.
    spiders legs everywhere all over me.

In fact the whole blog references parts of Not The Actual Events. Thoughts? Planned ARG?
    Hey poro, out of interest how did you end up finding this in the first place?