Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Beer!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Beer!

I know there is the drunk tank and the home-brewing thread but I didn't see a thread specifically for discussing favorite beers. In the past few months I have gotten really into the craft beer world. I love trying a new beer I've never had before and seem to have an ever-growing list of favorites!
    I think my favorite brewery has been and will remain Dogfish Head, from Milton, Delaware. Almost everything I've tried from them has been fantastic and I've tried just about 30 of them! They produce great year round offerings like the 60 Minute IPA, 90 Minute IPA, and Raison D'Etre.. as well as lots of special releases throughout the year such as the powerful 120 Minute IPA (18% abv), Burton Baton, three different music-inspired beers (Robert Johnson's Hellhound On My Ale, Miles Davis Bitches Brew, and Pearl Jam Faithfull Ale), and Fort (an 18% abv beer made with raspberries) which I just picked up today and haven't tried yet. That's only scratching the surface of what they offer too.
    I went to my first 'beer fest' in October in Staten Island at the Staten Island Yankees minor league ballpark on the waterfront overlooking Manhattan and it was amazing. I tried over 30 different beers at that event in 4 hours as well as eating some great food but that's beside the point (yes, I was pretty wasted towards the end). I love the endless possibilities and how different beers can be. For example, beer aged in bourbon barrels which I am trying for the first time tonight and it's like a whole new ballgame!
    In addition to the Dogfish Head Fort that I picked up today I also picked up a 750ml bottle of Brooklyn Brewery's 2011 Black Ops, a "top-secret" unadvertised bourbon barrel aged stout produced once a year in batches of only 1000 cases. I'll be saving that bad boy for a while but I did however crack open a 12 oz. bottle of my other purchase of the day, a 4-pack of Goose Island (an excellent brewery in Chicago) 2011 Bourbon County Brand Stout. It's strong (14.5% abv), dark and amazing. This is the first time I've ever had bourbon barrel aged beer and like I said, it opens up a whole new realm of possibilities and tastes for beer. Another good one I had recently was Deschutes Brewery's The Abyss on tap at Todd English P.U.B. in Las Vegas. Deschutes is in Oregon and only distributes to the Western half of the US unfortunately for me but it was great to try anyway.
    If I go to a bar and the options are limited I guess I have no choice, but I really can not see myself willingly buying any of the big guys stuff anymore (Bud, Coors, etc.). It's so dumbed down compared to the great craft options out there. Well I'd love to hear about everyone else's favorites!

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    All I read in that was 'Blah blah blah beer.'

Vodka or bust.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    well that's the whole point of the thread! GTFO to the drunk tank with ya!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    And now Harry is leaning toward the asshole end of the meter.

I just got done drinking two Leffe blondes. I was going to follow them up with a Koenings Hoven Tripel, but I'm tired and I don't want to pass out in my chair, wasting half the beer. I'll take time to make a decent post about my favorites later, but I've tried more kinds than probably anyone I know, aside from a couple people around my parents' ages. I've got to be 700+ by now. I stopped counting a few years ago at 500.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Love Dogfish Head! Their pumpkin is my current favorite pumpkin beer...wish it wasn't just seasonal.

Love me a good stout or porter. IPAs too.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Maybe this should be a beer & spirits thread, with Drunk Tank for those experiencing the effects of such.

I'm fond of stouts. I love Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout and Portsmouth Kate The Great. The limited annual Stone Imperial Stout is also a cherished batch.

Also, Belgian ales, especially abbey ales. Chimay is popular and deserving; Brouwerij St. Bernardus has a collection of great brews, with my favorite being the St. Bernardus Abt 12.

Lately I've been pulling selections from the Allagash Brewing Company out of Portland, Maine. All I've tried so far have been top-notch.

And when I just want to get fucked up on something beautiful, smooth, and sweet, I pick up the 700 mL bottle of La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue, based in Quebec.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I like pictures. Words suck.

These are the beers I like right now:

253HitachinoNestWhiteAle.jpg
    alesmithhornydevil.jpg

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Hmm I'm not too educated when it comes to Beer, I've tried many different kinds and i really can't tell the difference aside from maybe the cheap stuff and how harsh something could be, between an ale or a lager i have no clue.

I suppose I've been kind of conditioned to the "McDonald's" or fast food type of beer brands, your typical Kokanee, Alexander Keith's, Budweiser, Molson. I actually care less for the latter two of the four i mentioned have stuck with Kokanee for the most part it just has a comfortable taste and I've been drinking it the most. Although I have tried local brewers like Big Rock and Granville Island and didn't mind some of them. I like Steamwhistle Pilsner, and a good Kilkenny irish cream ale once in a while, Guinness etc. some Heineken or Becks I've tried although i find them skunky.

Recently i tried this one called What the Huck, it was huckleberry flavoured. Quite an interesting taste.

When it comes down to it I'll drink whatever, if i want to get smashed.. drink 20, bloat myself and be cheap it'll be "just beer" but if it's a casual, social outing I'll tend to pick from more of the Guinness-y stuff.

I've never been into hard liquors at all, so being adventurous with beer is pretty much all I've got when it comes to the alcohol.

EDIT: Oh forgot, i like Jamaica's Red Stripe as well.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    My brewskis of choice. I choose to support local breweries.

The last one is a popular drink of choice with the local hipsters. PBR is too mainstream.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    raspberry wheat ale\111111 oh god. i'm terrible drunk right noe and have to be up in 6 hrs to get puscifer tickets... this isn't going to go overt r over so well....

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I had my first bottle of this year's KBS (Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout) last night. The bourbon was a lot less prominent than this time last year - a welcome change. Absolutely delicious.

And for Torgo, since she likes pictures:

p.s. Leo, I hate you for living in Surly's distribution area.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfoot View Post
    And now Harry is leaning toward the asshole end of the meter.
    Excuse me, I was a bit drunk earlier. Apparently I stumbled into the wrong thread.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    SUMMER ALE - SAMUEL ADAMS
    One of my favorite Sam Adams
    Attachment 52

From the local brewery - Highland Brewing Company (Asheville, NC)
    St. Terese's Pale Ale
    Attachment 53

Gaelic Ale
    Attachment 54

COLD MOUNTAIN - Highland's winter seasonal - the flavors in this one change from year to year.
    Attachment 55

I have also tried the limited batches of Samuel Adams The Vixen and Tasman Red. The Tasman Red was my favorite of the two, there are two other beer from the limited batches that I haven't tried - I can't remember their names though.
    Last edited by REPLICA; 12-16-2011 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Extra beer info

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    my go to beer would have to be michelob amberbock.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Anything that these guys brew, I enjoy drinking:

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    A friend of mine is very educated on beers. He's even started up a blog reviewing many different beers, not the ones you find in your local grocery store either.
    Check it out and let me know what you think. I am sure he would love some feedback.

http://brewforall.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spahn View Post
    A friend of mine is very educated on beers. He's even started up a blog reviewing many different beers, not the ones you find in your local grocery store either.
    Check it out and let me know what you think. I am sure he would love some feedback.

Thanks. Great stuff in there! Following..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Sierra Nevada - Torpedo (extra IPA) is where it's at for me right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by demgoth View Post
    I think my favorite brewery has been and will remain Dogfish Head, from Milton, Delaware. Almost everything I've tried from them has been fantastic and I've tried just about 30 of them! They produce great year round offerings like the 60 Minute IPA, 90 Minute IPA, and Raison D'Etre.. as well as lots of special releases throughout the year such as the powerful 120 Minute IPA (18% abv), Burton Baton, three different music-inspired beers (Robert Johnson's Hellhound On My Ale, Miles Davis Bitches Brew, and Pearl Jam Faithfull Ale), and Fort (an 18% abv beer made with raspberries) which I just picked up today and haven't tried yet. That's only scratching the surface of what they offer too.
    I recently had the Hellhounds On My Ale and it was pretty damn delicious. I haven't had the 120, but I've had 60, though that was back when I didn't enjoy IPAs. I've also had the Raisin D'etre, and actually have some in the house right now. It's harder for us to get their special brews here in Michigan, but I've also had had: Burton Baton, Midas Touch, Punkin, and Life & Limb, which is their collaboration with Sierra Nevada. It seems like I've had more, but I do not recall at the moment.

I love the endless possibilities and how different beers can be. For example, beer aged in bourbon barrels which I am trying for the first time tonight and it's like a whole new ballgame!
    Yeah, it's really great how wide the spectrum of beer is. At the same time, though, it's sad that a lot of people are so limited in their experience of beer. I'm sure most people wouldn't be able to name 20 different beers total, and this local brewery has 40+ of their own on tap at all times. I could probably name at least 30 from Sam Adams that are available on a regular basis. Even though they are a nationwide brewery, they made some pretty damn good beer. Their Winter Classics pack now includes the Chocolate Bock, and it's amazing. It used to be only available in 750ml bottles and they'd only brew it when they felt like it. Having it two years in a row is a real treat, plus this year they released Black & Brew coffee stout in the pack. As you said, I don't drink the lower end beers unless it's my only option and I want a beer. At the last concert I went to it was Bud Light or nothing, but most of the bigger venues at least have Guinness. A lot of places, at least around here, are getting better about having local brews on tap, which is always nice.

I went to BeerAdvocate today and realized they now have an option to mark of beers that you've had. This wasn't there the last time I really looked around the site, so now I've been going around marking ones I've had. I'm nearly at 100 and I've really only gone through Bell's, Founders, New Holland, Dark Horse, Great Lakes, and Dogfish Head. Those first four are from here in Michigan, Great Lakes is in Cleveland, and you know about Dogfish. It was our love of craft beer that has lead me and some friends to brew our own beer. It's great to be able to make beer that you don't see in stores. Even aside from that, it's great to get some really good craft beer and just enjoy it with friends that also appreciate good beer.

There are many other breweries across the country I've tried beer from, but there's even more I just don't have access to because of limited distribution. I really want to take a long road trip and visit some of the states that have a good amount of craft breweries. Plus there's beer from across the pond that's worth talking about. The most prestigious would be the Trappists. I've had at least one beer from each of the Trappist abbeys that actually ship over here. One I even had on tap a few years ago! That was a great birthday dinner.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Black & Brew is amazing, had some last night. I'm not even sure if I like the Chocolate Bock better or not. Both have that great deep smoothness to them.

As for "venue beers", at a Giants game last year I ended up paying $9.50 for a bottle (that's right, one bottle) of Bud Light. Never doing that again.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    I just got done drinking two Leffe blondes.
    i *thought* i liked leffe here in the states until i went to france and had some on tap. i've never been able to drink the american imported version since.

a favorite seasonal is the abita strawberry, homemade in new orleans. tried it on tap at that bar across the street from nothing studios (shush, everyone) but NYC tends to get a nice shipment in at springtime. so tasty and crisp!

sad pumpkin ale season is out... didn't consume nearly enough.

also love white/wheat beers. allagash is definitely nice.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    From the end of November to until about February I only drink Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. If fact I just drank another 12 pack last night. . .

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I could probably name at least 30 from Sam Adams that are available on a regular basis. Even though they are a nationwide brewery, they made some pretty damn good beer.
    I love how they have a whole list of different flavors and styles. Blackberry Witbier, Latitude 48 IPA, Cherry Wheat, and the seasonal beers Summer Ale, Octoberfest and Noble Pills are great ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfoot
    Their Winter Classics pack now includes the Chocolate Bock, and it's amazing. It used to be only available in 750ml bottles and they'd only brew it when they felt like it. Having it two years in a row is a real treat, plus this year they released Black & Brew coffee stout in the pack.
    Dude, that Winter Classics pack is amazing, I like getting the Old Fezziwig and the Black & Brew was a nice treat.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spahn View Post

Heh...those are the kinds of beers you would find at the local grocery store back home. The guy in charge of their beer selection is a super nerd, and pulls every string he can to keep nothing but the latest and greatest - as well as the lesser known bottles - in stock at all times. Sadly, I left that behind for a state that won't even let me buy beer from anyone but a distributor (full case, and at a kind of crappy price) or a store with a specialty license (at a wallet raping price). Fuck you, PA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    While I'll still crack open a Bud Select every once in awhile (STL represent), I, too, am all about the craft beers. Schlafly here in St. Louis and Boulevard in Kansas City are both favorites (as well as the microbrewery and restaurant practically down the street from me). I've lately been all about Schlafly's seasonal, Black Lager, which is crazy delicious - as dark as Guinness, but hardly bitter.

...and now I want a beer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm almost ashamed to say (as someone who enjoys good beer) that tonight I am trying Chimay for the first time. Ashamed because it should have been a lot sooner.. it's quite good!

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Found a forgotten bottle of Founders Red Rye in the basement about half an hour ago. Threw it in the freezer, and cracking it open now. It's definitely not as good as it would have been when I bought it (which was....?????), but it's still a good deal better than a lot of other bottles out there.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Oh what I wouldn't give to have a Yuengling.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I drank a 6 pack last night. It's like tasty water.

It's the cheapest beer in Puerto Rico and I'm proud of it, it goes with the climate, It's damn refreshing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    favorites are Belgian Blond Ales, with Affligem leading the list, followed by Leffe. of course there are plenty of obscure and much better Belgian beers, but if you can't really find them anywhere but at some obscure bar/restaurant, what's the point? Also last week I discovered that Leffe Brown Ale has entered the US market too!!! It's awfully tasty but still doesn't beat Leffe Rouge, which I've only had overseas so it can't enter my favorites list until it's actually on the US market.

I'm also pretty big on drinking beer in the right glass, i.e.

at any given time the fridge contains one of (and sometimes all of) these: Affligem Blond, Leffe Blond, Hoegaarden. all are easy to find and cost less than $10 for a 6 pack = WIN