Likes Likes:  0
Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Linux

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)

Linux

Okay, so, I have a PC laptop that I never use due to the registry of its Windows getting crazy infected a few years ago and it never really bounced back even after it got "fixed"... it decided the copy of XP I had on it was fake and I just didn't want to bother with it, so I stuck with my Mac. Anyway, I'm going to have a few days of a lot of time on my hands, and I want to get Windows off and Linux on. I'm going to do that before the few days so I have plenty of time to tweak things/begin to get a grasp, but I would really appreciate some advice on where to start. I was thinking Ubuntu?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Yeah, go with Ubuntu. It's the most friendly of the distros at the moment for people who want something that will generally work out of the box without too much hassle.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I always suggest making a liveCD if you can. Lets you see if you will like it, plus they have some handy tools.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Linux Mint runs a little more smoothly than Ubuntu (and is basically the same operating system, running from the same repositories for the most part). I found on older laptops that it didn't like the inbuilt wireless adaptor sometimes but I had the same problem on some distros of Ubuntu, so... Yeah.

Echoing sentiments on the live CD. I'd also recommend avoiding Ubuntu's Natty Narwhal distro because it's basically Windows 8 (and about as uncustomisable as it).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've had decent success with Ubuntu in the past. The only reason I'm not using it is because the sound always has one issue or another on this machine. I haven't tried the latest version, but having proper sound is a must for me. Now the hold up for me would be that there's no linux version of Spotify. I've never heard of Mint until a couple minutes ago so I can't comment on that, but when I was using Ubu I really liked it, aside from the sound issues.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Anyone else here a fan of GNOME 3? It makes Unity look like a toy...which it basically is

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Ubuntu is the way to go. its basic and streamlined. and easy to learn. Mint is a bloated skinned version of Ubuntu. Learn how to use the raw OS and then decide if want to move on to a skinned interface. You can always install the mint repos later.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danebraddy View Post
    Anyone else here a fan of GNOME 3? It makes Unity look like a toy...which it basically is
    I dislike both of them. I'm having a hard time deciding what to do about it at the moment.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Yay, so, I installed Ubuntu. Got my video card drivers and restricted stuffs. Also got MyUnity so I could resize the Unity sidebar thing. I am also currently trying to figure out Conky. Any other things I should be looking into? And by that I do mean recommendations for awesome shit I might not know about, not OMG GUYZ HELP.
    Last edited by playwithfire; 12-24-2011 at 08:32 AM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Compiz Fusion!

You need to install that and play with it. (and mock your friends when they say Windows or Mac look great)