Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
I'm interested in a repress, but not a remaster. They got it right on the Blu-ray stereo track, and I'm pretty sure the original vinyl is just cut from that. I think sometimes the Definitive Edition remastering is a step backwards... Kevin Gray cut the 2008 reissue of Downward Spiral from Bob Ludwig's 10th anniversary remastered stereo version, and I don't think the DE is better sounding than that. Gray also cut the original Social Network soundtrack vinyl pressing; it's debatable whether another mastering will yield better results...
I actually think the 2017 TDS remaster is the only one that sounds objectively worse. There are parts of it that are better, but there's an extreme lack of dynamics in songs like I Do Not Want This, where there are three distinct levels of volume originally, but only two on the 2017 version. It's so compressed in fact, that instead of the track getting louder during the chorus, the instrumental stays the same volume as the pre-chorus and the vocals actually get quieter. For any improvements the 2017 version offers, moments like this detract too heavily for them to provide a net gain over the 10th Anniversary remaster.

I think TSN is perfect the way it is, and I don't see how a remaster could provide anything more to it.