Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: The Social Network (2010)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    still think it's bullshit that a prime subscription only comes with "standard" amazon music.
    Agreed. I have no surround setup to listen to this on so I'll have to wait. Certainly not subscribing to yet another service. I'm very intrigued but I probably won't dive in until The Fragile drops.
    Last edited by cdm; 10-12-2020 at 07:46 AM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I don’t have a surround setup any more: I only ever had one and it sucked. But atmos (and more generally the object source tech) is really interesting and offers exciting opportunities imho. A big step away from 5.1 and other fixed speaker orientation setups.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    before Covid happened Pearl Jam were going to do a theater experience with their new album and its Atmos mix. It eventually came to Apple Music and it sounded fine on my 5.1 setup so I assume the same would hold true here.

Would 100% much rather a physical release though just because I want to be sure I can still play it in the future.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I just looked at receiver prices JFC. Not to sidetrack the thread but it seems relevant...aside from adding more channels, what is the deal with Atmos? And will there be a noticeable difference between 5.1 and 7.2 (and yes, i realize the answer to this is subjective)?

I'm so far out of the AV loop.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nmitchell86 View Post
    It appears if you buy the new vinyl on Amazon you also get a MP3 download... https://www.amazon.com/Social-Networ...1741851&sr=8-1
    LOVE to see if either of these are remastered audio.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Don't have ATMOS, just purchased a Sonus Playbar and Sonus Beam last year so ATMOS is not in my future...BUT, i'll still buy both of these just because you never know.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    I'd think that they are. You can buy just the remaster mp3 from various hi-rez audio outlets on other nin releases.

Edit: I stand corrected on being remastered audio. See @TheBang 's message below.
    Last edited by nmitchell86; 10-03-2020 at 10:03 PM.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    I just looked at receiver prices JFC.
    $348: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158STD...STR-DH790.html

Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    TSN hasn't been remastered. The vinyl is just a reissue of the existing master.

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Amazon Music should be able to stream the mix. So one should “only” need the capable receiver, and 5.1 speaker set up.
    Yes, sorry, I was focused on the potential UHD disc.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    I just looked at receiver prices JFC. Not to sidetrack the thread but it seems relevant...aside from adding more channels, what is the deal with Atmos?
    Not an expert but instead of tuning your speaker locations to be exactly right for 5.1 (or 7.1etc) the receiver can tune the balance to your precise real-world speaker locations. Many 5.1 receivers did something kind of like that but the artists presentation of the music was based on the perfect speaker location, and that tuning is like using an equaliser, potentially changes the presentation in ways the artist didn’t intend. The raw data in atmos is a set of sound objects, which are described in terms of their position in a 3D space and the receiver does the mix-down.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Not an expert but instead of tuning your speaker locations to be exactly right for 5.1 (or 7.1etc) the receiver can tune the balance to your precise real-world speaker locations. Many 5.1 receivers did something kind of like that but the artists presentation of the music was based on the perfect speaker location, and that tuning is like using an equaliser, potentially changes the presentation in ways the artist didn’t intend. The raw data in atmos is a set of sound objects, which are described in terms of their position in a 3D space and the receiver does the mix-down.
    Goddammit The Fragile is going to drop and I'll be Tony Soprano outfitting the guest house...only instead of the guest house it'll be my TV room and instead of Clapton it'll be The Mark Has Been Made. Carmela's reaction would be the same though.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post

You know, I'm kind of okay with that. The 5.1 Blu-Ray is phenomenal and even just listening to the original stereo mix is great. This is actually something I was thinking about recently...

Not to go too far off topic, but regarding all the definitive editions that have come out and are slated to come out...I noticed a HUGE difference on Broken, a big difference on TDS, a few differences on The Fragile, and not so many on With Teeth. I'm wondering if YZ and the Slip are going to have many discernable differences at all or just things one would notice if you drop the files into a program to compare waveforms.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    yeah, any good surround receiver will have adjustments for distance from the listener, and it applies both EQ and slight delay to make sure the sound reaches you at precisely the right time. i haven't looked much into how exactly atmos works but the majority of folks aren't going to have the space for it to be set up properly.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    The stereo mix was just added to Tidal (along with TGWTDT) for the first time. I feel like this Atmos mix won't be too far behind...

For those who don't know, Atmos comes in two flavours, lossy and lossless. The streaming/lossy version is packaged as a Dolby Digital Plus extension, sometimes you're going to see it on video streaming services, or on Tidal. The lossless is an extension to Dolby TrueHD (which is compatible with all Blu-ray players)... I think that might be what Amazon HD uses? Not sure. Anyway, I'd buy a reissue of the Blu-ray with a lossless Atmos track (and the original 5.1 and stereo in hi-res for good measure).
    Last edited by botley; 10-04-2020 at 07:46 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    For those in Canada waiting for a Canadian link

Amazon.CA

https://www.amazon.ca/Social-Network...H5Q40C233CREMY

"Currently Unavailable" though

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Well look what just showed up today

https://imgur.com/5atviwJ

https://imgur.com/5atviwJ

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    TSN has the worst essay out of all of them.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Tiny quibble here over terminology, but while I don't believe the digital Tom Baker-mastered 24bit source files are any different from those used on the original issue, the Definitive vinyl itself HAS been remastered — pressed from new master parts at the Pallas USA manufacturing plant in Germany, per the deadwax stamp information — cut at Bernie Grundman Mastering by one of the staff mastering engineers there, Scott Sedillo (his initials are etched in the new deadwax, too). The original was pressed from parts cut by Kevin Gray at AcousTech Mastering. Those are two top-notch engineers, with slightly different approaches, but the clearest audible difference from the original is likely to be from better QC standards at Pallas USA that the new edition boasts (and, of course, the restored glitchy cover artwork as well).
    Last edited by botley; 10-08-2020 at 08:52 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So, the big question is, how does the OG vinyl compare to the reissue on vinyl? Is once superior, are they complimentary? Thoughts?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by psus2h View Post
    So, the big question is, how does the OG vinyl compare to the reissue on vinyl? Is once superior, are they complimentary? Thoughts?
    I hope you're joking, because the quality of the OG vinyl was problematic from the very beginning and we've been complaining ever since.
    2020 DE is vastly superior compared to the 2010 pressing.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Aaron Sorkin wants to make a sequel to The Social Network and wants David Fincher to return to direct it.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/10/so...aUdfR8xLw3xrqU

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    I hope you're joking, because the quality of the OG vinyl was problematic from the very beginning and we've been complaining ever since.
    2020 DE is vastly superior compared to the 2010 pressing.
    Not joking at all, my OG plays fine. I'll have to pick up the reissue and maybe dump the OG.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Aaron Sorkin wants to make a sequel to The Social Network and wants David Fincher to return to direct it.

I'd be down for it. When I first heard about Fincher and a Facebook movie, I was like WTF, that is an absurd idea. Meanwhile, it turned out great. I hear a sequel to Social Network and go WTF all again. Maybe it can also be great. Go for it. Get whoever needs to return and make sure T&A does the score.
    Last edited by neorev; 10-11-2020 at 03:10 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I've been joking with a friend about a sequel to The Social Network for a few years now (it's one of her favorite films), but it's not a bad idea. I think it would have to have be different from the original though. It would have to have a different energy and flow, and would probably have to be a little more sinister, especially in light of what we know about Facebook now.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I've been joking with a friend about a sequel to The Social Network for a few years now (it's one of her favorite films), but it's not a bad idea. I think it would have to have be different from the original though. It would have to have a different energy and flow, and would probably have to be a little more sinister, especially in light of what we know about Facebook now.
    Yea, def. The best sequels are the ones that don't try to redo the first movie, but make it its own thing. The Mark Zuckerberg of yesteryear ain't the Zuckerberg of today.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Well, they certainly have the material for a sequel, that's for goddamned sure. I'm sure that Trent and Atticus, like Sorkin, would need Fincher to be directing again in order to participate in it, so it's really up to him as far as I can tell.

Spun the repress of The Social Network on my turntable a week or so ago - sounds (and looks) absolutely superb.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Anyone still waiting for a better price to pull the trigger on these, both are included in Target's Buy 2, Get 1 Free sale. Got both + a $35 Dinosaur Jr album for about $80 shipped.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon Blackfire View Post
    Well, they certainly have the material for a sequel, that's for goddamned sure. I'm sure that Trent and Atticus, like Sorkin, would need Fincher to be directing again in order to participate in it, so it's really up to him as far as I can tell.

Spun the repress of The Social Network on my turntable a week or so ago - sounds (and looks) absolutely superb.
    Glad to hear the LP sounds great.

If they do a Part Two, I agree, bring the team back, but I think that also includes Jesse. He was incredible as Zuck.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post

it would have to be a completely different story. no returning characters apart from zuckerberg. and what would the crux be? I guess those senate hearings a while back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Curious if anyone else who knows their stuff better can help, but the Atmos mix of TSN is essentially locked to Amazon HD through the Echo Studio, right? I can’t think of any other device that’s supported. It sucks because there’s a couple of things I love to take for a spin, but I’ve got just an old, outdated 5.1 system. I’m missing the days of physical, lossless multichannel releases, which while still exist, feel like they’re falling out of favor with the bands I’m REALLY into. I just started a TIDAL trial and can’t do jack with any of their Atmos or 360 Audio stuff except hear it sound awful mixed down to stereo.

(Should say I recognize the BR release of TSN with the 5.1 back when, but I’m worried about the Fragile finally coming out and being inaccessible)
    Last edited by variablebitrate; 10-12-2020 at 06:50 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by variablebitrate View Post
    Curious if anyone else who knows their stuff better can help, but the Atmos mix of TSN is essentially locked to Amazon HD through the Echo Studio, right? I can’t think of any other device that’s supported.
    They don't support anything else within their ecosystem, but if someone were, hypothetically, for informational purposes, to jailbreak the stream and extract the untouched Dolby audio with the Atmos metadata intact...

(For the record I don't actually know how to do this, but maybe SOMEONE here can? *cough cough* @TheBang ??)