Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: The Social Network (2010)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I'm watching A Christmas Carol, the FX special on Hulu that stars Guy Pearce. There's some piano in the score that is very Hand Covers Bruise. Not exact, but very similar.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I hope this gets a 10th anniversary vinyl reissue next year. The originals are so outrageously expensive...

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gorast View Post
    I hope this gets a 10th anniversary vinyl reissue next year. The originals are so outrageously expensive...
    A re-press of the Blu-ray disc would also be welcome, to get the full 5.1 surround mix back in print... it's not on all streaming/download sites, either!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I still have the blu-ray soundtrack that was put out. It's only 2.0 high-res though, not 5.1.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I still have the blu-ray soundtrack that was put out. It's only 2.0 high-res though, not 5.1.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Oh @allegate , if you've got a 5.1 system set up, you're in for a treat. What gave you the impression that it was only in stereo?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Oh @allegate, if you've got a 5.1 system set up, you're in for a treat. What gave you the impression that it was only in stereo?
    yeah, the mixing for the 5.1 version is really quite incredible. not that i have any issues with TDS or WT in 5.1, but the social network is just so well done.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Huh. I haven't had a chance to pull it out in a long time so I was going on memory.

Interesting.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post

Ok, that looks like the same software I use...I need to find the disc so I have a version for my hi-res player.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Ok, that looks like the same software I use...I need to find the disc so I have a version for my hi-res player.
    Dvdae?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    yup, that's the one.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Looks like a vinyl repress is coming next month.

https://www.roughtrade.com/us/trent-...al-network-ost

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    If anyone was interested, theres a pre order avail for The Social Network Score. ( dont know where else to put this, so move it if need be )

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Torn between jumping on this pre-order and waiting to see something on nin.com. Maybe the announcement will drop tomorrow or Monday.

Was it released through a label originally? I know Trent didn't sign NIN and HTDA to Columbia until 2012, but I feel like this and Dragon Tattoo might have been distributed by some major label. I don't know if that would impact where this is being released.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Was this announced anywhere? Am I this much out of the loop?

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    If you go to the Music section of the store, it does not show up there at all. But if you go to the discography and click on "Buy from NIN Store," it sends you to the below link that gives you a "The page you requested does not exist" error. But the URL says 2017 Definitive Edition.

https://store.nin.com/collections/mu...n-br-3xlp-span

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    If anyone was interested, theres a pre order avail for The Social Network Score. ( dont know where else to put this, so move it if need be )

Oh shit...I wonder if this means a NIN store update is coming soon...like...ACTUALLY soon, not "soon". I'd reeeeally like to get a YZ DE before it's Year Zero, although that does have a certain poetry to it.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Oh hells yea! Now I’m super-glad I didn’t listen to anyone who was telling me to open my $300 original vinyl pressing way back when. Hopefully this one sounds better than the original apparently does, too..

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    This is great news. So glad I didn’t listen to people telling me to open my original pressing when I bought it sealed three or four years ago. I’ll just play this one if I want to hear it on vinyl and let my OG continue to accrue value on my shelf..

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    Oh hells yea! Now I’m super-glad I didn’t listen to anyone who was telling me to open my $300 original vinyl pressing way back when. Hopefully this one sounds better than the original apparently does, too..
    my original copy sounds fantastic! Was there a known pressing issue?

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    my original copy sounds fantastic! Was there a known pressing issue?
    According to a bunch of people on Discogs, their pressing was loaded with surface noise and non-fill, while a few others claim it’s nonsense..

https://www.discogs.com/Trent-Reznor...elease/2560332

Again, I never opened mine. I just listen to the CD or the files on my phone when I’m jonesing to hear it. I’ve never had an issue with any Rough Trade pressings I’ve bought, so I’m glad I held out on opening my original, as this repress will likely sound great from a reputable label and can serve as my playing copy..

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Sounds like a bunch of people on discogs are superior vinyl listeners. *pushes up glasses*

I've got the OG and it sounds good. But I would love to have a "definitive" version!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    I’ll just play this one if I want to hear it on vinyl and let my OG continue to accrue value on my shelf..
    Doesn't the value of original pressings usually go down when a reissue is released, not up?

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Theoretically, you would think so, right? But in many cases, the value of the original press continues to go up, even when there is a repress (like With Teeth or TDS). In a worst-case scenario, I’ve found the value to merely stay where it was before the repressing was available (like The Fragile). I guarantee if the Year Zero or The Slip vinyl reissues ever materialize, the values of their original pressings won’t budge either..

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Rough Trade link now showing "Page Not Found"

Edit: Having said that, I realized I already had it in my cart before the page was taken down, and I was able to put an order through just now. So I guess we'll see what happens.
    Last edited by imail724; 06-22-2020 at 09:33 AM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I'm interested in a repress, but not a remaster. They got it right on the Blu-ray stereo track, and I'm pretty sure the original vinyl is just cut from that. I think sometimes the Definitive Edition remastering is a step backwards... Kevin Gray cut the 2008 reissue of Downward Spiral from Bob Ludwig's 10th anniversary remastered stereo version, and I don't think the DE is better sounding than that. Gray also cut the original Social Network soundtrack vinyl pressing; it's debatable whether another mastering will yield better results...
    Last edited by botley; 06-22-2020 at 01:33 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I'm interested in a repress, but not a remaster. They got it right on the Blu-ray stereo track and I'm pretty sure the original vinyl is just cut from that. I think sometimes the Definitive Edition remastering is a step backwards... Kevin Grey cut the 2008 reissue of Downward Spiral from Bob Ludwig's 10th anniversary remastered stereo version, and I don't think the DE is better sounding than that. Grey also cut the original Social Network soundtrack pressing; it's debatable whether another mastering will yield better results...
    Interesting. I've never heard the original TSN pressing, but since this reissue announcement I've seen several people say the original pressing doesn't sound good at all. I didn't know it was cut by Grey though, who is known for his exceptional work. Wonder if the people complaining about the original pressing quality are playing it on lower tier turntables/cartridges.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    It may well be a great master - as I'd expect from KG - but a poor pressing. The pressings of The Slip and Ghosts (US) were rather poor, and TSN was a similar period, so it wouldn't surprise me. Anyone know where it was pressed?

Also, low tier TTs and cartridges are more likely to mask pressing issues.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Also, low tier TTs and cartridges are more likely to mask pressing issues.
    I think it can go either way depending on the specific issue. I've never owned a lower tier TT, but I've heard multiple times that people will complain about "skipping" on a brand new record, not realizing the issue is due to the fact they are playing it on a crosley or something similar.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninlive View Post
    Sounds like a bunch of people on discogs are superior vinyl listeners. *pushes up glasses*

I've got the OG and it sounds good. But I would love to have a "definitive" version!
    my original sounds good, too ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ maybe there was a messed up batch in the original pressing and those people are just a vocal minority?

it doesn't seem like this is a definitive edition but i guess we'll find out!