Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinyl Rerelease 2019 (With Teeth)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    I think the argument is that while the digital file is definitely lossless, cassettes are not a lossless format.

That's not technically true. Tapes are analog, therefore bitrate doesn't exactly apply here. By logic, that would be like saying vinyl isn't lossless because it's not a digital file. Both vinyl and tape are analog and lossless, unless someone records MP3 files to the format, but that wouldn't be professionally made tapes. With the right quality tape and noise suppression, tapes can sound just as good, if not as good as CDs. Sadly, the industry chose to go with cheaper tape with higher noise levels and sold cheaper and shittier players without proper noise suppression types, thus compounding the negative qualities of tape. Cassettes are noisier than CDs because of magnetic tape, but noise reduction can greatly improve the signal to noise ratio. The signal to noise with CDs is about the same as the dynamic range, 96dB, whereas a good quality cassette deck can go as high as 80 dB with noise reduction.

I highly suggest folks watch this video and it will blow your mind how good tapes are and could've been if the industry didn't cheap out and the consumer didn't go for the bottom of the barrel player...
    Last edited by neorev; 11-19-2019 at 04:41 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    That's not technically true. Tapes are analog, therefore bitrate doesn't exactly apply here. By logic, that would be like saying vinyl isn't lossless because it's not a digital file. Both vinyl and tape are analog and lossless, unless someone record MP3 files to the format. With the right quality tape and noise suppression, tapes can sound just as good, if not as good as CDs. Sadly, the industry chose to go with cheaper tape with more noise and sold cheap, shitty players without decent noise suppression types, thus compounding the negative qualities of tape.
    I feel like we're arguing semantics here. Can we agree that yes, tape CAN be lossless, but as you said in your own post, the type that albums are released on are not? I'm just suggesting that neither vinyl or traditional cassette tapes are lossless, as they both physically degrade over time, causing loss in quality.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I feel like we're arguing semantics here. Can we agree that yes, tape CAN be lossless, but as you said in your own post, the type that albums are released on are not? I'm just suggesting that neither vinyl or traditional cassette tapes are lossless, as they both physically degrade over time, causing loss in quality.
    No, I agree with you there. I'd take a lossless/hi-res digital file or CD over tape or vinyl any day, but technically CDs degrades over time too.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Oh man, I still haven't even opened my With Teeth vinyl I got on release date back in 05. I had bought the 5.1 copy as well, opened that instead and went nuts since I already had a 5.1 setup from the TDS rerelease.

Still have the huge laminated poster on my wall. Is the file even still available to print? Hopefully a rerelease would include a download link.

Maybe the definititve WT will have the extra material (Life You Didn't Lead & Message To No One, hopefully more) we never got to hear!

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pcpunk View Post
    He did say he’d recorded a bunch of demos for WT, how developed those demos are, we can’t know. I’m still sitting here holding out hope for the Vocal versions of the Deviations tracks to see the light of day. Also a high quality +Appendage. I’m never satisfied.
    He left off Non-Entity for one. A song he performed a that Kathrina benefit concert and considered to be one of his favorites from the WT sessions. So maybe that was to be included on WT part deux, no?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyract View Post
    I don't know if this is the best copy out there, but here's my lossless copy:

http://www.nindestruct.com/music/nin...Appendage.flac
    This is actually the file I was talking about, straight from the source! Thanks Pyract!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    He left off Non-Entity for one. A song he performed a that Katrina benefit concert and considered to be one of his favorites from the WT sessions. So maybe that was to be included on WT part deux, no?
    If I'm not stating the obvious with this, the studio versions of "Non-Entity" and "Not So Pretty Now" both exist on the NIN|JA sampler. I'm not sure if they were modified from the original WT sessions, but they exist:

Last edited by wight rabbit; 11-20-2019 at 07:45 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggermine View Post
    If I'm not stating the obvious with this, but the studio versions of "Non-Entity" and "Not So Pretty Now" both exist on the NIN|JA sampler. I'm not sure if they were modified from the original WT sessions, but they exist:
    Reminding people of Not So Pretty Now... ten points from Gryffindor.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    The order of the records on the nin.com store has been rearranged. The "coming soon" stuff used to be all at the bottom, and now it's spread out.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Reminding people of Not So Pretty Now... ten points from Gryffindor.
    Good thing I'm a Hufflepuff.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    The order of the records on the nin.com store has been rearranged. The "coming soon" stuff used to be all at the bottom, and now it's spread out.
    Ooh, things! Looks like the best we can infer from that is that With Teeth, Year Zero, and The Slip are about to be announced but with Patriots Day and Quake still coming "soon."

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    It's a shame Trent doesn't do physical components for these definitive editions. That way fans prefer digital and want to buy and support Trent, there's still a way to make digital edition unique with something physical. For example, if the With Teeth lyric poster was a physical component that came with your download. Each album could be something different and unique. You bet your ass fans would still buy it.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Weird that With Teeth is at the very top, Year Zero and The Slip are a couple rows down, and Quake and Patriots Day are all the way at the bottom. Makes me feel like maybe With Teeth could hit before YZ and The Slip, or those three all at once and then Quake and Patriots Day remain AWOL for another five hundred years.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Ohhh SHIT, SHIT JUST GOT REAL! For me WT ranks up pretty high, super excited here!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    mi470 on reddit has found the With Teeth and Bird Box download pages https://www.reddit.com/r/nin/comment...s_now/f86oc6l/
    From said pages...
    Code is case sensitive. Offer expires 12/31/20. Valid only in the United States and Canada. Void where prohibited by law.
    Assuming the download code is valid for 365 days from release, Friday 13th December is going to be a lucky day.
    Last edited by Aphelion; 11-21-2019 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Incoorect info struck off

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphelion View Post
    mi470 on reddit has found the With Teeth and Bird Box download pages https://www.reddit.com/r/nin/comment...s_now/f86oc6l/
    From said pages...
    Assuming the download code is valid for 365 days from release, Friday 13th December is going to be a lucky day.
    you're welcome, btw, haha. where are you getting a 12/13 date? did you mean 12/31?

also thank u/tricil for the Bird Box observation. i was only looking at greyed out covers on the webstore to test the link, so i completely forgot that Bird Box was also happening (also, if that's an additional hour of music on top of the 1 hour length of the abridged version, this is likely gonna be a 4xLP, so i'm expecting an $80 price tag akin to Deviations 1).
    Last edited by mi470; 11-21-2019 at 10:53 AM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mi470 View Post
    you're welcome, btw, haha. where are you getting a 12/13 date? did you mean 12/31?

also thank u/tricil for the Bird Box observation. i was only looking at greyed out covers on the webstore to test the link, so i completely forgot that Bird Box was also happening (also, if that's an additional hour of music on top of the 1 hour length of the abridged version, this is likely gonna be a 4xLP, so i'm expecting an $80 price tag akin to Deviations 1).
    Here is the image from the Bird Box page:

cover300.jpg

A placeholder? Having not seen the movie I have no idea if / how the image relates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    you're welcome, btw, haha. where are you getting a 12/13 date? did you mean 12/31?.
    Reading it back I can only think that in my head I saw 12/13/20, but obviously that's wrong! Should have stuck to soon...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post

cover300.jpg

A placeholder? Having not seen the movie I have no idea if / how the image relates.
    yeah, i haven't seen it either, so your guess is as good as mine. maybe those dots are birds?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gorast View Post
    Weird that With Teeth is at the very top, Year Zero and The Slip are a couple rows down, and Quake and Patriots Day are all the way at the bottom. Makes me feel like maybe With Teeth could hit before YZ and The Slip, or those three all at once and then Quake and Patriots Day remain AWOL for another five hundred years.
    I believe they've separated NIN from score/soundtrack work, prioritizing NIN over the score stuff, which is why Quake, Patriot's Day, and Halloween are at the bottom, while With Teeth, Year Zero, and The Slip are up top.

cover300.jpg

yeah, i haven't seen it either, so your guess is as good as mine. maybe those dots are birds?
    Cool image! Looks to me like holes poked in the top of the box that they keep the birds in throughout the movie. Also reminds me of the pixelated download cards from the Definitive Edition vinyls.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

cover300.jpg

Taking me back to nin.com circa 1999!

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    The With Teeth and Bird Box digital links now redirect to a page that says: "This promotion hasn't started. Please check back."

ETA: https://form.jotform.com/90355824000144

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Bird Box Extended is also up.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Wow, that Bird Box set is really cool looking.

Edit: Also, only two tracks on some of those sides? What is this, Tool? Seriously though, fuck yeah.
    Last edited by cdm; 11-22-2019 at 09:11 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    About Bird Box Extended:
    "THIS INTENSE PACE COUPLED WITH THE PRESSURES OF NIGHTLY PERFORMANCES BEGAN TO BLEED THROUGH INTO THE WORK. WHAT STARTED AS A SCORE FOR A FILM BEGAN TO MUTATE AND EXPAND INTO SOMETHING ELSE FAR BEYOND WHAT YOU SAW ON THE SCREEN."

Which sounds awesome. But at that price, I'm not sure... There's no "digital only" option.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Order complete.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Standard procedure. Ordered both!

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Ugh, WT is my favorite NIN record, but I am not a vinyl guy to say the least. Here's hoping it resurfaces in some other form, like a digital download at least.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    That shipping cost is still wild as hell.