Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinyl Rerelease 2019 (With Teeth)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dzaver View Post
    I still didnt get the right link for the download. That sucks. Thanks NIN. Always some problems with downloads
    I'm in the same boat. Guess we'll be waiting until monday.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Yeah, my dl for WT isn't working properly - keeps completing at only 23mb. Bird Box is working fine though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Customer service got back to me and I'm finally downloading now!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    @gorast @minusthesnake @neorev @mi470

Bad news guys. The art that you download with the remastered album isn't actually exactly right. It's very close, but there's a prominent solarizing effect on parts of the image at the bottom that aren't supposed to be that way. It may be done on purpose for the new release, but it definitely wasn't that way originally.

I have the original files though, straight from Rob if anyone wants them. I even have the art from before the title was applied in just slightly smaller resolution than this cover. Just let me know if you want them and I'll get them to you tomorrow.
    i didn't notice. i'd like to compare them for sure, so throw up the highest resolution of everything you've got.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nmitchell86 View Post
    @spahn , link to video please?
    You can download it from the nincatalog listing or it's on Twitter on UMe page. I think I posted it earlier in this thread as well.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Yesterday my FLAC download of WT DE was technically OK but very small zip file with just "placeholder" inside, decided to wait silently and now everything's all-right. I'm also deleting my rip of original WT CD from my media server because this one should be better in every way. Btw, I was hoping for some new track or something instrumental, but no problem.

01 - Nine Inch Nails - All the Love In the World.flac:

Next: waiting for YEAR ZERO. :-)

Edit: Just observation, FLAC files are dated September 23rd 2019.
    Last edited by Substance242; 11-23-2019 at 07:36 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fishtifer View Post
    I don't have a vinyl player and listen to music in my car - if anybody can share the digital version that would be great - I can't find it out there yet...
    I think there are a lot of us in the same boat. You could buy it and then turn around and sell the vinyl. I'm sure there is a market.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    @gorast @minusthesnake @neorev @mi470

Bad news guys. The art that you download with the remastered album isn't actually exactly right. It's very close, but there's a prominent solarizing effect on parts of the image at the bottom that aren't supposed to be that way. It may be done on purpose for the new release, but it definitely wasn't that way originally.

I have the original files though, straight from Rob if anyone wants them. I even have the art from before the title was applied in just slightly smaller resolution than this cover. Just let me know if you want them and I'll get them to you tomorrow.
    I feel like I definitely noticed what you're talking about, but I'm not certain, so I'm absolutely interested in everything you have.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Long time no see. Very glad to see we're finally getting With Teeth with a lyric poster! I am a little bummed there's no digital option for Bird Box since I can't afford $80 for a soundtrack set and would love to hear it ... maybe he'll add it down the road?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Godamn these remastered files for WT sound fucking incredible. The drums sound twice as huge as before.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    In case anyone else wants them!

The one labeled nin-wt01 is the image that Rob put up for the album, the ones that follow the same naming scheme are the promotional images. The other two are the textless version done by Rob for a background and the one that was just released, in case anyone who's not buying the Vinyl wants it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If anyone has a link they can hook me up with,it would be much appreciated ..I need to hear this

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The one labeled nin-wt01 is the image that Rob put up for the album, the ones that follow the same naming scheme are the promotional images. The other two are the textless version done by Rob for a background and the one that was just released, in case anyone who's not buying the Vinyl wants it.
    i dig these. for some reason, i prefer the new WT art for my personal collection, but the textless version and the promo shots of Trent look fantastic. cool that Rob sent them your way!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FRANKZITO View Post
    If anyone has a link they can hook me up with,it would be much appreciated ..I need to hear this
    Not to pick on you in particular but goddamn it people can we stop the thread-clogging with begging

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    @spahn , Thank you!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Not to pick on you in particular but goddamn it people can we stop the thread-clogging with begging
    Sorry - These vinyl only remasters are frustrating - I don't have a goddamn record player in my car or at work which is where I listen to all my music. I already own 2 With Teeth cds and the dualdisc so buying a record that I'm never going to play doesn't make any sense - plus things are super expensive to purchase in Canada, eh.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fishtifer View Post
    Sorry - These vinyl only remasters are frustrating - I don't have a goddamn record player in my car or at work which is where I listen to all my music. I already own 2 With Teeth cds and the dualdisc so buying a record that I'm never going to play doesn't make any sense - plus things are super expensive to purchase in Canada, eh.
    I couldn't agree more, but there is a thread for those upset about TRs decision to release things in THE ULTIMATE FORMAT.

https://www.echoingthesound.org/comm...r-Vinyl-Thread

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

The funniest thing about this to me is that all three images are different temperature-wise, which is the exact problem I've had with trying to find the ideal WT cover online, lol.

The zoomed-out cover is very nice to have, and I've never seen those other two promo images of Trent before. I think I'll stick with the "official" reissue cover, but thank you for sharing these!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    This seems a good a place to ask as any... why does anyone opt for the WAVs, again?
    FLAC isn't supported by lots of random playback devices and so on, although that's thankfully been changing pretty rapidly. It also means customers don't need to convert anything if they know they need WAV to play on their device of choice.

Also also, at one point I recall NIN downloads being in full resolution (i.e. 24/96 in WT's case) only on the WAV option, with the FLAC being 16/44 lossless. Not sure if that's been the case for the DE downloads or not, but I've been opting for the WAV choice when I buy them for this specific reason.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    FLAC isn't supported by lots of random playback devices and so on, although that's thankfully been changing pretty rapidly. It also means customers don't need to convert anything if they know they need WAV to play on their device of choice.

Also also, at one point I recall NIN downloads being in full resolution (i.e. 24/96 in WT's case) only on the WAV option, with the FLAC being 16/44 lossless. Not sure if that's been the case for the DE downloads or not, but I've been opting for the WAV choice when I buy them for this specific reason.
    Odd that flac format is usually fine on my phone, but the last few NIN releases the flac files are all jacked up. The ID tags on the files don't work at all and show as unknown artist on my phone. Really annoying.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Yet another thing about Home's placement:

I knew that the lines on the lyric poster connected all of the tracks in tracklist order, but for some reason, it never dawned on me that Home is sequenced between Sunspots and TLBTB on the poster, just as in the vinyl version. Is that maybe the track list Trent intended, and then maybe he changed his mind and took Home out of the track list at the last minute? I don't know the logistics of that, but it's interesting to me, considering I never thought of Home as a "core" WT track, always as a bonus.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gorast View Post
    Yet another thing about Home's placement:

I knew that the lines on the lyric poster connected all of the tracks in tracklist order, but for some reason, it never dawned on me that Home is sequenced between Sunspots and TLBTB on the poster, just as in the vinyl version. Is that maybe the track list Trent intended, and then maybe he changed his mind and took Home out of the track list at the last minute? I don't know the logistics of that, but it's interesting to me, considering I never thought of Home as a "core" WT track, always as a bonus.
    "Home" was always in this spot on the vinyl version of the album. I know Trent has said he regrets not putting "The New Flesh" and "10 Miles High" on the CD version of The Fragile because he was self conscious about how long the album was, but I don't believe he's ever spoken about "Home". It's interesting to me that The Fragile and With Teeth's Definitive Editions have matched their original vinyl sequencing, while The Downward Spiral has a whole new sequencing for the DE. Specifically that he moved which sides some of the segues fall on and got rid of the segue between "The Becoming" and "I Do Not Want This" completely. And took "Dead Souls" off of the vinyl, which I think we can all agree makes sense.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minusthesnake View Post
    ... And took "Dead Souls" off of the vinyl, which I think we can all agree makes sense.
    Wait, wasn't "Dead souls" only on Japanese CDs?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I know it was always in this spot on the vinyl, that's what I was commenting on with the lyric poster. I don't recall him speaking about Home either.

As for TDS, I think the thing about that is that the original vinyl version of the album was shittily done, possibly without Trent's oversight, and because he wasn't involved in the 2000s reissues either they were never corrected. The transitions sound exactly like the CD versions, but then just shittily fade out because it wasn't re-mixed and mastered with the vinyl splits in mind. It needed more work for the DE in that regard, more than Broken (which was always single-sided and thus didn't need any adjustment) and The Fragile (which Trent obviously put a lot of work into in 1999). I think it's the only DE with substantial changes to the vinyl tracks themselves.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Interesting how Home still hasn’t been released in instrumental form, and the instrumental version of ATLITW released has the Twilight Zone sample.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post

Ive always picked the wav for the hi res but I decided to pick the FLAC option this time not realising it could only be 16/44. I suppose if it is the download card with the vinyl itself will give me the option

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Do we think he had clearance issues with the twilight zone sample or couldn’t make his mind up on it artistically?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dtuck90 View Post
    Ive always picked the wav for the hi res but I decided to pick the FLAC option this time not realising it could only be 16/44. I suppose if it is the download card with the vinyl itself will give me the option
    To confirm, the flacs were 24/96 for the previous round of definitive editions, likewise for the WT DE - the flac download is 24/96. Though I doubt they're really exploiting that resolution, since TR confirmed a while ago that they work at 24/48. Their reason for using 24/96 is explained here:

The DE versions are at 24/96 because: we re-assembled the records from the original mix sources (some were analog 1/2", some were DAT, some were PT sessions) and our mastering engineer processed them in the analog world and recorded them back to digital at the higher resolution.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    I couldn't agree more, but there is a thread for those upset about TRs decision to release things in THE ULTIMATE FORMAT.

https://www.echoingthesound.org/comm...r-Vinyl-Thread
    I didn't know that thread existed - I'm not too upset about Trent and Atticus's scores only being released on vinyl, but NIN's remastered albums is another story. With Teeth DE digital is on thepiratebay for all of us who don't buy vinyl...

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    To confirm, the flacs were 24/96 for the previous round of definitive editions, likewise for the WT DE - the flac download is 24/96. Though I doubt they're really exploiting that resolution, since TR confirmed a while ago that they work at 24/48. Their reason for using 24/96 is explained here:

The DE versions are at 24/96 because: we re-assembled the records from the original mix sources (some were analog 1/2", some were DAT, some were PT sessions) and our mastering engineer processed them in the analog world and recorded them back to digital at the higher resolution.
    Interesting... Since DAT is only in 16/48 max, is it worth it to do 24/96? I guess it depends how much was recorded to DAT. I assume that it was minimal.

Don't mind me, sounds like I'm just talking to myself.