Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Aerosmith

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Aerosmith

Love the classic era, even the weird, uneven Rock In a Hard Place album, the one without Perry and Whitford.

Loved the comeback albums from the 80's.

Get a Grip on up was very hit-or-miss. Joe Perry's solo work, especially his 00's albums were excellent, while Tyler's solo album was surprisingly decent. "I don't want to miss a thing" is the worst song ever.

Thoughts?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I love some of their music, but it's not too hard for me to tell that they're just in it for the money now. And have been for quite some time. After watching them on 60 Minutes several years ago I could tell that they probably didn't even like each other.

Nine Lives is their last great work, haven't bothered much with anything after the Armageddon period.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Aerosmith in the 70s were awesome. I loved the stuff they did in the late 80s while Get a Grip is filled with too many power ballads as that was the start of them becoming a corporate rock band. Nine Lives was probably the last thing they did that I enjoyed as everything else after that was just... ugh.... except for that blues album they did.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Songs from Another Dimension was very uneven. Some really good shit, but about a third of it was awful, power-balled shit.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Saw them live at Cobo in Detroit for the "Rocks" tour. Steven and Joe were still on heroin. A bunch of us high school kids went together to the show, smoked about two ounces of weed on the way there, and even with concert pot amnesia I still vividly remember a friend leaning over to me and saying, "Is it just me, or is all this shit REALLYYYY SLOOOOOWWW??" And she was right, every fucking song was slowed down, LOL LOL LOL. Or, maybe it was just us, hahahahaa.

My husband still watches the video of Steven falling off the stage, on repeat.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-18-2018 at 09:35 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    My first thought upon seeing this thread:

"Oh fuck, who died?"

Glad I wrong.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

helluva tune.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I really love this song:

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    this is still a great version of this song, too

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    this is still a great version of this song, too

That's one of my favorite cuts by the band as it's a great take on the Yardbirds' "Stroll On"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I knew you guys wouldn't believe me without back up......

https://www.guitarplayer.com/players...a-rollin-solos

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    That's one of my favorite cuts by the band as it's a great take on the Yardbirds' "Stroll On"
    Soooooo many versions LOL

whoa:
    Last edited by allegro; 01-18-2018 at 11:47 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Midnight View Post
    I knew you guys wouldn't believe me without back up......

https://www.guitarplayer.com/players...a-rollin-solos
    Oh wow, that's awesome!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Oh wow, that's awesome!
    Steve Hunter is one of my favorite guitarists he has played in Alice Cooper's live band (Welcome To My Nightmare tour and album), Lou Reed's live band yes that is him on Sweet Jane Rock n' Roll Animal, and Peter Gabriel's first album and ghosted on the early Aerosmith albums. He has a Hell of a track record, Cooper, Reed and Gabriel DAYUMMM!!!! He is now working as a session musician in Nashville.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Saw them live at Cobo in Detroit for the "Rocks" tour. Steven and Joe were still on heroin. A bunch of us high school kids went together to the show, smoked about two ounces of weed on the way there, and even with concert pot amnesia I still vividly remember a friend leaning over to me and saying, "Is it just me, or is all this shit REALLYYYY SLOOOOOWWW??" And she was right, every fucking song was slowed down, LOL LOL LOL. Or, maybe it was just us, hahahahaa.

My husband still watches the video of Steven falling off the stage, on repeat.
    Wow, that must have been sweet. Aerosmith in their prime.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I was listening to Just Push Play for the first time since probably it was released (2001) and it was nowhere near as bad as I remember. Some good songs:

^Looks like Steven was watching Kids in the Hall.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    ^ I was at that Jones Beach concert. it was an amazing concert, first time seeing the band, and first gig I saw at that venue. loved it, an experience I'll always remember.

not the biggest Aerosmith fan, but I do like the early 90's stuff (Livin' on the Edge is my favorite), and their Woodstock 94 performance. They were also cool to me because of the Wayne's World connection and Dude Looks Like a Lady being in Mrs. Doubtfire. I guess they were the cool older band when I was kid at that time. also, they were the dudes from Revolution X, so of course they were cool to me! (man that game is shitty looking back on it... )

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Whoa

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    One of my favorite "classic" bands in high school during their 90s resurgence. Probably saw them 5-6 times b/w 97-00 and they were so much fun every time. Nine Lives was probably their last album I enjoyed as a whole. Everything after that felt like only a couple tracks each time.

So sad to see the way they've slipped into bickering and problems to an almost Spinal Tap level.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Well shit, I still haven't seen them and have always wanted to...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Turned away by security.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think it's bullshit what they're doing to him, but then again we don't know what goes on behind the scenes. There may be more problems with him other than his drumming.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Who's to say but it's obvious to me that they aren't handling this like a band, but a corporate entity beholden to the mighty Grammys and the music industry. They made some great music, even into the post-excess period and their pop culture revitalization, but more and more it feels like like all they did was find replaced their sloth with greed. Kramer being told to sit this out (and personally pay his replacement?!) is above and beyond being treated as part of being the LIT (least interesting three) and must feel like humiliation. That video is certainly proof.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Farewell tour

No Joey Kramer.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 05-01-2023 at 11:06 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)