Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN Spotting 2018

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'm sorry this is a pretty dumb NIN spotting, but it makes me happy so I'm going ahead with this...

I've just seen that one of the academics from my department at work has used a NIN article (this one, from 2013 https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...f-trent-reznor) as an example of a feature article from the music section of a broadsheet newspaper for a Media Writing assessment.

So yeah, I'm just pleased that young Media students are getting some NIN exposure while they're learning.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    In honor of Atticus Ross's 50th birthday today, I finally uploaded this short clip from NIN's surprise Webster Hall show last summer. Always nice to see Atticus front and center

Side note: today is also John Carpenter's 70th birthday. When are JC, TR, and AR gonna have a proper collaboration?!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Last edited by Amaro; 01-18-2018 at 02:00 PM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amaro View Post
    When was this from? Interesting to hear his take on NIN. While I do think that Reznor at some point was unhappy, I dont think I would attribute that SOLE feeling to why Downward Spiral is the way that it is. It is also largely a concept record as well. I think most of Trents problems started towards the end of Downward Spiral era and flowed into The Fragile era. It was only at the beginning of the With Teeth era that he openly talked about what a disaster the Fragility tour was because he was such a mess.

So yes, while I do agree with some of Frusciantes take, I wouldnt say that Downward Spiral is only listenable when you are unhappy, and only stemmed from unhappiness. I think now, at my age (32), I am able to listen to the album as a piece of great music and art. And while it has heavier subjects, listening to it does not solely depend on what mood I am in.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsChrisRoss View Post
    When was this from?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Interesting video. Frusciante seems a little unhinged himself, but perhaps that's just his manner.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Interesting video. Frusciante seems a little unhinged himself, but perhaps that's just his manner.
    he used to be waaaaaay into drugs and i think it left him permanently a bit...off?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EarthsLastNight View Post
    The Beginning of the End used in the new trailer for Netflix's series Altered Carbon.

A commercial for this series aired last night during the Vikings VS Eagles game.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Not sure if this qualifies as a "Spotting" but... Looks like TR has a new "play list" out on Apple Music and Spotify "Better Alone". Songs featured from recent film work mostly. Saw this in a nin.com email with code for 2018 EU tour show pre-sale.

Here's a link to the apple play list.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/playlist...07de?app=music

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nmitchell86 View Post
    Not sure if this qualifies as a "Spotting" but... Looks like TR has a new "play list" out on Apple Music and Spotify "Better Alone". Songs featured from recent film work mostly. Saw this in a nin.com email with code for 2018 EU tour show pre-sale.

Here's a link to the apple play list.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/playlist...07de?app=music
    You got that one ? mine is saying paris, does yours mentionning paris or europe ?

Also did he say something on his apple music thing ?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaw View Post
    You got that one ? mine is saying paris, does yours mentionning paris or europe ?

Also did he say something on his apple music thing ?
    Mine said Paris, I jumped the gun a little while typing (and it was late at night.) Other than the link in the email for Spotify and apple music nothing on social media about the play list that I have seen.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Just saw this posted on Twitter. “Rey and Kylo Ren fighting the Praetorian Guards to Immigrant Song”

https://twitter.com/gavinactual/stat...46901075152896

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Not sure if this has been posted before or not.

Seems like Trent also has "Curated" playlist on Spotify where he puts up what songs of his he is currently listening to.

https://open.spotify.com/user/trezno...SwyDWumTmev_rg

It's pretty cool. Dunno how recent it is, but it has Add Violence track in it, so!

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    Not sure if this has been posted before or not.

Seems like Trent also has "Curated" playlist on Spotify where he puts up what songs of his he is currently listening to.

https://open.spotify.com/user/trezno...SwyDWumTmev_rg

It's pretty cool. Dunno how recent it is, but it has Add Violence track in it, so!
    Trent listens to his own songs?? Maybe for "research" purposes, you know... if these songs needed to be listened to how to learn how to play certain parts for rehearsals or playing live?
    One can dream anyway, since there are some pretty epic songs on that list I would love for him to play live on the next tour.

Guessing the list was created recently. It says 1/18 on it. Assuming this is a reference to Jan 2018.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 02-02-2018 at 01:25 AM.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Trent listens to his own songs?? Maybe for "research" purposes, you know...
    Yes, Shameless self-promotion (my current faves of me) on Spotify

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Trent listens to his own songs?? Maybe for "research" purposes, you know... if these songs needed to be listened to how to learn how to play certain parts for rehearsals or playing live?
    One can dream anyway, since there are some pretty epic songs on that list I would love for him to play live on the next tour.

Guessing the list was created recently. It says 1/18 on it. Assuming this is a reference to Jan 2018.
    I would love for some remixes to be played live. Slipping Away? Yes please.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

i mean, i listen to my own music all the time. because i like it. if i didn't like it, i wouldn't make it. i make music that i enjoy so much that i want to listen to it regularly. i would imagine it's not outside the realm of possibility that bigger bands/musicians feel the same, but i know that some bands refuse to listen to their own music because of touring and having to play it all the time.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    http://www.indiewire.com/2018/02/bes...-1201918634/5/

Now regarded as one of the greatest movies of the aughts, “The Social Network” was dismissed by many as simply “the Facebook Movie” before its release. And why not? The social-media site had only truly risen to prominence a few years earlier, and it was hard to imagine David Fincher’s follow-up to “Benjamin Button” receiving such overwhelming acclaim. But everything came together nearly perfectly on the film, including the Oscar-winning score from Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross. Transposing the abrasive industrial soundscapes that made Reznor famous in Nine Inch Nails, the duo crafted a score that’s as ominous as it is catchy — which is to say, the perfect accompaniment to a genius’ rise to power. Their compositions are quieter than you might think, thrumming along in the background during the rapid-fire dialogue and being just noticeable enough to grab your attention without distracting from what’s happening onscreen. Listen to it on its own, though, and you’ll be treated to the rare soundtrack that’s as worthy of your attention as the movie itself.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    The decomposing fox used in the Hurt video is seen in the last 30 seconds of this (awful) SNL sketch. I didn't realize the fox footage was in color!

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li.../3658057?snl=1

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    The decomposing fox used in the Hurt video is seen in the last 30 seconds of this (awful) SNL sketch. I didn't realize the fox footage was in color!

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li.../3658057?snl=1
    http://grantland.com/hollywood-prosp...ode-11-sunset/

Fun fact: That time-lapse clip of a decomposing fox from the True Blood credit sequence is stock footage in the public domain. It has also been used in Adaptation, The Hunger, a Nine Inch Nails video ( ), a Katy Perry video (“E.T.”), a Linkin Park video (“The Catalyst”), and an episode of Wonder Showzen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jon View Post
    ...and an episode of wonder showzen.
    Beat Kids!

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    PHM mentioned in this article about the best one-man-band albums.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    i've been to a sold-out "soft moon"-concert yesterday, in berlin. today is another one and tomorrow too, both sold-out.
    it reminds me ridiculously of nine inch nails. in an indie-wave-feel-way.
    the performance was really reznor-like, some songs do have the "this is a trent reznor song"-formula

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by notsoprettynow View Post
    i've been to a sold-out "soft moon"-concert yesterday, in berlin. today is another one and tomorrow too, both sold-out.
    the performance was really reznor-like, some songs do have the "this is a trent reznor song"-formula

http://drownedinsound.com/releases/2...eviews/4151597

I almost posted the Drowned in Sound review the other day, but since you mentioned them today, I'll go ahead and pull the trigger. The review specifically states NIN influence in the 2nd paragraph.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by notsoprettynow View Post

a bit off topic, but I was at today's gig and I noticed the same thing, the song structure was very familiar although the sounds were a lot more industrial than nin. Definitely a band to check out, and don't forget the they did a while ago

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    PHM mentioned in this article about the best one-man-band albums.
    Yeah but Richard Patrick though.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Yeah but Richard Patrick though.
    Other albums on this list have guest musicians, too, like Stevie Wonder's Music of my Mind. The article writer failed to mention Patrick.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Other albums on this list have guest musicians, too, like Stevie Wonder's Music of my Mind. The article writer failed to mention Patrick.
    Failed to mention or didn't think his drone guitar on one song really contributed much to the album as a whole?