Page 75 of 79 FirstFirst ... 25 65 73 74 75 76 77 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,250 of 2359

Thread: Trump 2018 - Trump throws hissy fit while Nancy & Chuck smile

  1. #2221
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,265
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TinDefacto View Post
    Okay, we seem to be on similar pages then -- my bad. I've been seeing so much crap on Facebook of liberal friends suddenly becoming Amazon fanboys overnight and at first glance this seemed like more of the same. Sorry for leaping to that conclusion. As I said, I'm not against these investigations taking place, and I am also happy that there will potentially be some accountability here; I just thought you were cheering them on for other reasons. (The accountability aspect also didn't come to mind at first because I usually think of his many other corruptions/potential investigations first.)


    You're totally right, and I agree with everything you're saying here -- I had just been misunderstanding theimage13's point! For what it's worth, I definitely HAVE seen some people suddenly become Amazon fanboys overnight because of this, so I'd originally thought this was just more of the same -- my apologies. It had just been really grating on me. I agree that Trump definitely does not care at all about how Amazon treats its employees, and that his vendetta against them is almost certainly due to the Washington Post, but I hadn't interpreted this as being about accountability.

    Alright, back to lurking for me. :P
    Hey don't worry, it's all good. It was a good post, and a good convo.

  2. #2222
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    693
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    So Trump is saying he likes Pelosi and can somehow convince house Republicans to support her as Speaker.

    https://elections.ap.org/content/tru...is-speaker-bid

    I'm going to come right out and say that it looks like a ploy. I'm guessing the plan is to make her look tainted to more liberal Democrats, so when they refuse to support her he can keep pointing the finger and calling them obstructionists.

  3. #2223
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    9,952
    Mentioned
    770 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    So Trump is saying he likes Pelosi and can somehow convince house Republicans to support her as Speaker.

    https://elections.ap.org/content/tru...is-speaker-bid

    I'm going to come right out and say that it looks like a ploy. I'm guessing the plan is to make her look tainted to more liberal Democrats, so when they refuse to support her he can keep pointing the finger and calling them obstructionists.

    Watched Meet the Press on Sunday, the Democrats don’t really have any other good options who have Nancy’s negotiating experience, skills and monumental fundraising abilities. I suspect Trump doesn’t want a newb in there who won’t negotiate on anything (so absolutely nothing gets passed). Which is what will happen; he’ll veto everything.

    MtP discusses how Rep. Marcia Fudge met with Pelosi last week about the possibility of Fudge running for the Speaker position, and Fudge wanted to know what was involved; Pelosi probably whipped out her huge Rolodex and her calendar and went over the contacts and fundraising schedule, and Rep. Fudge said she isn’t sure she wants to invest THAT much time.

    Pelosi takes unfair heat, but Schumer is the weak leader. If it wasn’t for Pelosi, there’d be no ACA, and most Democratic candidates wouldn’t get the campaign funding that they do, and Pelosi gets the votes on the floor.
    Last edited by Cat Mom; 11-19-2018 at 01:05 PM.

  4. #2224
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,697
    Mentioned
    353 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    Hey don't worry, it's all good. It was a good post, and a good convo.
    just wish I’d see more of this in general lately... might seem out of character for me, but I’ve realized that this stark polarization in political discourse between oppposing opinions has gotten nuts... fuck “agreeing to disagree” it’s now more like “kill yourself and die in a fire, even though we’re 90% on the same page.”

    This is is a seriously unhealthy, toxic timeline we’re slogging through

  5. #2225
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Laughingstock of the World (America)
    Posts
    3,207
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    just wish I’d see more of this in general lately... might seem out of character for me, but I’ve realized that this stark polarization in political discourse between oppposing opinions has gotten nuts... fuck “agreeing to disagree” it’s now more like “kill yourself and die in a fire, even though we’re 90% on the same page.”
    I agree - to an extent. But I want to point out that the context has shifted.

    Political discourse used to be more to the effect of "I disagree with your fiscal policies" or what have you. You know, things that may actually be reasonably looked at from more than one angle.

    Today, we have a president whose intelligence agency just told him that a country's leader approved the murder of a journalist who had spoken critically of him. But since our president has personal business dealings with the country (who, let's not forget, was largely responsible for 9/11), he shrugs and says "nah, whatever, we're still cool".

    We have a president who blames the people whose homes and relatives have been reduced to ash for doing it to themselves.

    We have a president who stood in those same ashes and then appointed a coal lobbyist to head the EPA because he still thinks climate change is fake.

    We have a president who calls Nazis "fine people".

    We have a president who brags about being allowed to sexually assault women because he's a celebrity.

    And on top of it, we have an entire party of elected officials who won't say no to the crazy bullshit he spouts out because they're afraid of losing their reelection bids.

    So to be perfectly honest, it is getting very, very hard to even consider voting for any Republican and still go to sleep at night feeling as though I haven't done something horrible. I hope that this will change when he finally resigns / dies / is removed from office / loses to a human being who has a soul.

  6. #2226
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Dela-where?
    Posts
    770
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

  7. #2227
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,697
    Mentioned
    353 Post(s)
    seriously.... one of the things that's really wearing thin is the "Oh stop being hyperbolic" defense when you say the word "fascism." This is no longer a hysterical hypothetical, this is fucking real, and it was ALWAYS possible... but now that it's staring you in the face, don't act like it's crazy talk.

  8. #2228
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Laughingstock of the World (America)
    Posts
    3,207
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Not sure if this is really the thread for it since it's not a Trump edict, but I'm sure he'd just love to see it go forward:

    Ohio has introduced legislation that would allow for the death penalty for women who get abortions.

    It hasn't passed, but the fact that it's even been written up is fucking terrifying.

  9. #2229
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Portland, Ore
    Posts
    783
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Not sure if this is really the thread for it since it's not a Trump edict, but I'm sure he'd just love to see it go forward:

    Ohio has introduced legislation that would allow for the death penalty for women who get abortions.

    It hasn't passed, but the fact that it's even been written up is fucking terrifying.

    I dont normally type in this thread anymore.....but

    jesus fucking christ what a fucking all time low we are at. What is the fucking low ass piece of fucking horseshit who thought about making this a law? Who the fuck is it? I want to know who it is so i can fucking tell what a sorry fucking excuse for a human being he is and I know it's a guy who did this, don't even at me at trying to say it could of been a woman, don't even fucking try. The fucking ignorance and lack of understanding of why a lady wants an abortion is astounding, you ever think that the average woman that becomes menstruated is around the age of 11 or 12? You ever think bout that? What if they get raped? What if they get pregnant? You ever think about that? Of course not, because you don't fucking care. What if she gets pregnant and her life is in danger? Most dont give a shit and say no, so not only does she die, the baby dies too, so not only did you lose 2 life, but the baby still died regardless. Good job fuck face, im glad you are pro-life because you just wasted two lives you uneducated piece of fucking human fucking garbage. Someone willing to pass a law to put a woman to death because they don't want to have a baby has left me gobsmacked, and fucking livid, and im SURE IM FUCKING SURE IF BY SOME UNHOLY FUCKING REASON THIS WOULD EVER PASS, they would find a way to do it a young person even if it's unconstitutional, because, they dont fucking care. I would say "God have mercy" but I don't even know if i believe in a god....so i'll leave him with nothing instead. Fucking garbage, he will not be missed when his ass is burning in hell.

  10. #2230
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    253
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Not sure if this is really the thread for it since it's not a Trump edict, but I'm sure he'd just love to see it go forward:

    Ohio has introduced legislation that would allow for the death penalty for women who get abortions.

    It hasn't passed, but the fact that it's even been written up is fucking terrifying.
    2 words: Savita Halappanavar

    Her death from sepsis because doctors would not perform a life-saving abortion on her when she was miscarrying (they feared they could not legally perform the procedure as long as there was a fetal pulse) helped push the Irish people to demand a referendum on whether or not to legalize abortions in Ireland. The referendum passed easily earlier this year and now Ireland is permitting abortions for any reason up to the 15-week mark. Any abortions after that have to be due to fetal anomalies or the mother's life is in danger.

    And don't even get me started on how abortion bans and criminalizations also lead to miscarriages becoming criminalized!

  11. #2231
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    9,952
    Mentioned
    770 Post(s)
    The law proposed would ban all abortions and prosecute the physician and the mother:

    https://local12.com/news/local/propo...ortion-doctors

    It doesn’t have a constitutional snowball’s chance in hell.

  12. #2232
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Laughingstock of the World (America)
    Posts
    3,207
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    The law proposed would ban all abortions and prosecute the physician and the mother:

    https://local12.com/news/local/propo...ortion-doctors

    It doesn’t have a constitutional snowball’s chance in hell.
    They just banned abortions after SIX WEEKS and people bomb / murder people who work in clinics. It has a very real chance of passing. And with two new conservative SCOTUS appointees, it has a very good chance of helping to set precedent to overturn RvW.

  13. #2233
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,697
    Mentioned
    353 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    They just banned abortions after SIX WEEKS and people bomb / murder people who work in clinics. It has a very real chance of passing. And with two new conservative SCOTUS appointees, it has a very good chance of helping to set precedent to overturn RvW.
    I don't know... people sometimes forget that RvW case was decided by a conservative leaning SCOTUS.

    Then again, yeah... a lot has changed since then.

  14. #2234
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Portland, Ore
    Posts
    783
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    I dont normally type in this thread anymore.....but

    jesus fucking christ what a fucking all time low we are at. What is the fucking low ass piece of fucking horseshit who thought about making this a law? Who the fuck is it? I want to know who it is so i can fucking tell what a sorry fucking excuse for a human being he is and I know it's a guy who did this, don't even at me at trying to say it could of been a woman, don't even fucking try. The fucking ignorance and lack of understanding of why a lady wants an abortion is astounding, you ever think that the average woman that becomes menstruated is around the age of 11 or 12? You ever think bout that? What if they get raped? What if they get pregnant? You ever think about that? Of course not, because you don't fucking care. What if she gets pregnant and her life is in danger? Most dont give a shit and say no, so not only does she die, the baby dies too, so not only did you lose 2 life, but the baby still died regardless. Good job fuck face, im glad you are pro-life because you just wasted two lives you uneducated piece of fucking human fucking garbage. Someone willing to pass a law to put a woman to death because they don't want to have a baby has left me gobsmacked, and fucking livid, and im SURE IM FUCKING SURE IF BY SOME UNHOLY FUCKING REASON THIS WOULD EVER PASS, they would find a way to do it a young person even if it's unconstitutional, because, they dont fucking care. I would say "God have mercy" but I don't even know if i believe in a god....so i'll leave him with nothing instead. Fucking garbage, he will not be missed when his ass is burning in hell.
    '


    Jesus i went fucking nuts last night wow, I apologize form my immature comments, jesus

  15. #2235
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    1,086
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

  16. #2236
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,182
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Comey helped Trump get elected with his ridiculous I have to tell everyone about her emails shite - shouldn’t Republicans love him?

  17. #2237
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    416
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Comey helped Trump get elected with his ridiculous I have to tell everyone about her emails shite - shouldn’t Republicans love him?
    I think they did at the time, but now he wants to tell everyone about their candidate, so now they don't like him.

  18. #2238
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    9,952
    Mentioned
    770 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    This is the last-ditch effort of a Republican-led House Judiciary Committee to be assholes.

    Once the Democrats are in charge of the House in January, the Democrats can (and will) issue subpoenas to whomever they want and they don’t even have to notify the Republicans that they’re doing it.

    Guess who made up that rule?

    The Republicans, during the Obama administration.

    Karma.
    Last edited by Cat Mom; 11-22-2018 at 11:12 PM.

  19. #2239
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    693
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tear gas fired at migrants on the southern border: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46339085

  20. #2240
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,062
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

    Trump 2018 - Trump loses the House and his legislative agenda

    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    Tear gas fired at migrants on the southern border: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46339085
    Fucking so wrong. My heart breaks because people that consider themselves patriots think this is ok. Itís vile and extremely unamerican.

  21. #2241
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Bayonne Leave It Alone
    Posts
    2,912
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    The fish rots from the head down. The policies and actions of the crime bosses he's installed at these agencies will get worse and worse and drift closer to fascism if people in his admin don't take a stand, b/c there is not much the House can do about things like this even once the Dems take control.

  22. #2242
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    9,952
    Mentioned
    770 Post(s)
    The reason why most are leaving Central America is the United States and President Ronald Reagan and his Administration in the 1980s. And conservatives and neoliberals have been fucking it up ever since.



    Here are some refreshers:

    https://medium.com/s/story/timeline-...a-a9bea9ebc148

    https://www.thenation.com/article/ho...ration-crisis/

    https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/q...gration-crisis

    https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexp...s/reagan-iran/

    The liberal rhetoric of inclusion and common humanity is insufficient: we must also acknowledge the role that a century of U.S.-backed military coups, corporate plundering, and neoliberal sapping of resources has played in the poverty, instability, and violence that now drives people from Guatemala, El Salvador, and Honduras toward Mexico and the United States. For decades, U.S. policies of military intervention and economic neoliberalism have undermined democracy and stability in the region, creating vacuums of power in which drug cartels and paramilitary alliances have risen. In the past fifteen years alone, CAFTA-DR — a free trade agreement between the U.S. and five Central American countries as well as the Dominican Republic — has restructured the region’s economy and guaranteed economic dependence on the United States through massive trade imbalances and the influx of American agricultural and industrial goods that weaken domestic industries. Yet there are few connections being drawn between the weakening of Central American rural agricultural economies at the hands of CAFTA and the rise in migration from the region in the years since. In general, the U.S. takes no responsibility for the conditions that drive Central American migrants to the border.

    U.S. empire thrives on amnesia. The Trump administration cannot remember what it said last week, let alone the actions of presidential administrations long gone that sowed the seeds of today’s immigration crisis. There can be no common-sense immigration “debate” that conveniently ignores the history of U.S. intervention in Central America. Insisting on American values of inclusion and integration only bolsters the very myth of American exceptionalism, a narrative that has erased this nation’s imperial pursuits for over a century.
    “I get asked all the time, Why can’t Central Americans just stay in their country and strive for better?” says Elizabeth Oglesby, an associate professor of Latin American studies at the University of Arizona. “I want people to understand, Central Americans have been trying to do that for decades, and the United States put itself on the wrong side of those struggles, and now we are reaping the consequences.”
    See also.

    Americans may vaguely remember Oliver North, Iran/Contra and the Sandinistas in Nicaragua, but have forgotten that, as The Guardian outlined in a retrospective piece on the conflict, “Contra guerrillas backed by President Ronald Reagan used Honduras as a base to attack Nicaragua’s Sandinista government in the 1980s.” From there it built; the U.S. continues to have a presence in Honduras, including military bases. It also failed to stop a coup in 2009, which overthrew a democratically elected president and further destabilized the country.
    The FIX to this problem is to HELP Central America, to help its economy, to rid its corruption, etc. Central Americans would MUCH prefer to stay home in Central America. They're primarily coming here because they can't stay home.

    And we pretty much caused this shit.

    HOW do we fix it? See this, for instance. Also this.
    Last edited by Cat Mom; 11-28-2018 at 12:12 PM.

  23. #2243
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    1,086
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)








    Just about the only explanation for Manafort’s actions are that — as I suggested — Trump was happy to have Manafort serve as a mole in Mueller’s investigation.

    But Mueller’s team appears to have no doubt that Manafort was lying to them. That means they didn’t really need his testimony, at all. It also means they had no need to keep secrets — they could keep giving Manafort the impression that he was pulling a fast one over the prosecutors, all while reporting misleading information to Trump that he could use to fill out his open book test. Which increases the likelihood that Trump just submitted sworn answers to those questions full of lies.

    And that “detailed sentencing submission … sett[ing] forth the nature of the defendant’s crimes and lies” that Mueller mentions in the report?

    There’s your Mueller report, which will be provided in a form that Matt Whitaker won’t be able to suppress.
    Oh man. That quote is just so tempting, that they knew Mueller was going to feed info to Trump and so they just gave him bad info. Compare the answers from Trump to what they knew was false already and boom, rescinded plea agreement.

    Karma, you've been a real bitch these past two years. Please follow through on this one, thanks.

  24. #2244
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Laughingstock of the World (America)
    Posts
    3,207
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I want to preface this by saying that I know it's not actually a viable, or even a good, idea.

    But I wish we could cap the age of politicians at about 50.

    Why?

    "I read some of the report. I don't believe it."

    The gasbag in charge of everything read a report by over 300 people, his own government officials included, saying that we're pretty much on the road to being completely fucked, and his response is "nuh-uh". And what motivation does he have? NONE. The world can go to hell in a handbasket for all he cares and it won't matter to him, because he'll be dead soon (not a threat; he's old and stressed and time/biology are historically not kind to that combination).

    The future of our planet is being decided by people who don't have much time left on it. No skin in the game, as they say. What we desperately need is a sweeping makeover of the demographic representing us. People who have open minds, a progressive way of thinking (which yes, can fit easily inside a conservative agenda), and people who will be directly affected by their own policies for decades to come. Not these fucking dinosaurs who couldn't care less because they're about to keel over anyway.

  25. #2245
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    173
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Go rake some leaves, why don't ya? ;-)

  26. #2246
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    416
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I want to preface this by saying that I know it's not actually a viable, or even a good, idea.

    But I wish we could cap the age of politicians at about 50.

    Why?

    "I read some of the report. I don't believe it."

    The gasbag in charge of everything read a report by over 300 people, his own government officials included, saying that we're pretty much on the road to being completely fucked, and his response is "nuh-uh". And what motivation does he have? NONE. The world can go to hell in a handbasket for all he cares and it won't matter to him, because he'll be dead soon (not a threat; he's old and stressed and time/biology are historically not kind to that combination).

    The future of our planet is being decided by people who don't have much time left on it. No skin in the game, as they say. What we desperately need is a sweeping makeover of the demographic representing us. People who have open minds, a progressive way of thinking (which yes, can fit easily inside a conservative agenda), and people who will be directly affected by their own policies for decades to come. Not these fucking dinosaurs who couldn't care less because they're about to keel over anyway.
    I wouldn't want it to be entirely young people though. Sometimes age can bring wisdom. Or at least it's supposed to.

    But then again, elections aren't won by the wisest. These days I don't think wisdom would even be seen as an asset in a politician.

  27. #2247
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    630
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
    I wouldn't want it to be entirely young people though. Sometimes age can bring wisdom. Or at least it's supposed to.

    But then again, elections aren't won by the wisest. These days I don't think wisdom would even be seen as an asset in a politician.
    Seriously, wasn't there a youngish rapper some time back that truly thought the Earth was flat? Young people are not definitively the answer.

  28. #2248
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    9,952
    Mentioned
    770 Post(s)
    Trump and his cronies publicly deny these climate change reports NOT because they really don't believe it, but because it threatens fossil fuel profits.

    Greed comes in all ages.

    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/26/o...epublican.html
    Last edited by Cat Mom; 11-28-2018 at 01:14 AM.

  29. #2249
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    9,952
    Mentioned
    770 Post(s)

  30. #2250
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    [RESTRICTED]
    Posts
    445
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    "....low sales of the Chevy Cruze as a problem for the company."

    That's odd; here in Ontario Canada (we we losing our Pickering GM plant) you see a lotttt of Chevy Cruzes on the roads, to me it looks like they did damn well with that car.

Posting Permissions