Page 74 of 80 FirstFirst ... 24 64 72 73 74 75 76 ... LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,220 of 2386

Thread: Trump 2018 - Trump Foundation ordered to dissolve, Flynn Sentencing Delayed

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The reason why most are leaving Central America is the United States and President Ronald Reagan and his Administration in the 1980s. And conservatives and neoliberals have been fucking it up ever since.

Here are some refreshers:

https://medium.com/s/story/timeline-...a-a9bea9ebc148

https://www.thenation.com/article/ho...ration-crisis/

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/q...gration-crisis

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexp...s/reagan-iran/

The liberal rhetoric of inclusion and common humanity is insufficient: we must also acknowledge the role that a century of U.S.-backed military coups, corporate plundering, and neoliberal sapping of resources has played in the poverty, instability, and violence that now drives people from Guatemala, El Salvador, and Honduras toward Mexico and the United States. For decades, U.S. policies of military intervention and economic neoliberalism have undermined democracy and stability in the region, creating vacuums of power in which drug cartels and paramilitary alliances have risen. In the past fifteen years alone, CAFTA-DR — a free trade agreement between the U.S. and five Central American countries as well as the Dominican Republic — has restructured the region’s economy and guaranteed economic dependence on the United States through massive trade imbalances and the influx of American agricultural and industrial goods that weaken domestic industries. Yet there are few connections being drawn between the weakening of Central American rural agricultural economies at the hands of CAFTA and the rise in migration from the region in the years since. In general, the U.S. takes no responsibility for the conditions that drive Central American migrants to the border.

U.S. empire thrives on amnesia. The Trump administration cannot remember what it said last week, let alone the actions of presidential administrations long gone that sowed the seeds of today’s immigration crisis. There can be no common-sense immigration “debate” that conveniently ignores the history of U.S. intervention in Central America. Insisting on American values of inclusion and integration only bolsters the very myth of American exceptionalism, a narrative that has erased this nation’s imperial pursuits for over a century.
    “I get asked all the time, Why can’t Central Americans just stay in their country and strive for better?” says Elizabeth Oglesby, an associate professor of Latin American studies at the University of Arizona. “I want people to understand, Central Americans have been trying to do that for decades, and the United States put itself on the wrong side of those struggles, and now we are reaping the consequences.”
    See also.

Americans may vaguely remember Oliver North, Iran/Contra and the Sandinistas in Nicaragua, but have forgotten that, as The Guardian outlined in a retrospective piece on the conflict, “Contra guerrillas backed by President Ronald Reagan used Honduras as a base to attack Nicaragua’s Sandinista government in the 1980s.” From there it built; the U.S. continues to have a presence in Honduras, including military bases. It also failed to stop a coup in 2009, which overthrew a democratically elected president and further destabilized the country.
    The FIX to this problem is to HELP Central America, to help its economy, to rid its corruption, etc. Central Americans would MUCH prefer to stay home in Central America. They're primarily coming here because they can't stay home.

And we pretty much caused this shit.

HOW do we fix it? See this, for instance. Also this.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-28-2018 at 11:12 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Just about the only explanation for Manafort’s actions are that — as I suggested — Trump was happy to have Manafort serve as a mole in Mueller’s investigation.

But Mueller’s team appears to have no doubt that Manafort was lying to them. That means they didn’t really need his testimony, at all. It also means they had no need to keep secrets — they could keep giving Manafort the impression that he was pulling a fast one over the prosecutors, all while reporting misleading information to Trump that he could use to fill out his open book test. Which increases the likelihood that Trump just submitted sworn answers to those questions full of lies.

And that “detailed sentencing submission … sett[ing] forth the nature of the defendant’s crimes and lies” that Mueller mentions in the report?

There’s your Mueller report, which will be provided in a form that Matt Whitaker won’t be able to suppress.
    Oh man. That quote is just so tempting, that they knew Mueller was going to feed info to Trump and so they just gave him bad info. Compare the answers from Trump to what they knew was false already and boom, rescinded plea agreement.

Karma, you've been a real bitch these past two years. Please follow through on this one, thanks.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I want to preface this by saying that I know it's not actually a viable, or even a good, idea.

But I wish we could cap the age of politicians at about 50.

Why?

"I read some of the report. I don't believe it."

The gasbag in charge of everything read a report by over 300 people, his own government officials included, saying that we're pretty much on the road to being completely fucked, and his response is "nuh-uh". And what motivation does he have? NONE. The world can go to hell in a handbasket for all he cares and it won't matter to him, because he'll be dead soon (not a threat; he's old and stressed and time/biology are historically not kind to that combination).

The future of our planet is being decided by people who don't have much time left on it. No skin in the game, as they say. What we desperately need is a sweeping makeover of the demographic representing us. People who have open minds, a progressive way of thinking (which yes, can fit easily inside a conservative agenda), and people who will be directly affected by their own policies for decades to come. Not these fucking dinosaurs who couldn't care less because they're about to keel over anyway.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Go rake some leaves, why don't ya? ;-)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I want to preface this by saying that I know it's not actually a viable, or even a good, idea.

But I wish we could cap the age of politicians at about 50.

Why?

"I read some of the report. I don't believe it."

The gasbag in charge of everything read a report by over 300 people, his own government officials included, saying that we're pretty much on the road to being completely fucked, and his response is "nuh-uh". And what motivation does he have? NONE. The world can go to hell in a handbasket for all he cares and it won't matter to him, because he'll be dead soon (not a threat; he's old and stressed and time/biology are historically not kind to that combination).

The future of our planet is being decided by people who don't have much time left on it. No skin in the game, as they say. What we desperately need is a sweeping makeover of the demographic representing us. People who have open minds, a progressive way of thinking (which yes, can fit easily inside a conservative agenda), and people who will be directly affected by their own policies for decades to come. Not these fucking dinosaurs who couldn't care less because they're about to keel over anyway.
    I wouldn't want it to be entirely young people though. Sometimes age can bring wisdom. Or at least it's supposed to.

But then again, elections aren't won by the wisest. These days I don't think wisdom would even be seen as an asset in a politician.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
    I wouldn't want it to be entirely young people though. Sometimes age can bring wisdom. Or at least it's supposed to.

But then again, elections aren't won by the wisest. These days I don't think wisdom would even be seen as an asset in a politician.
    Seriously, wasn't there a youngish rapper some time back that truly thought the Earth was flat? Young people are not definitively the answer.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Trump and his cronies publicly deny these climate change reports NOT because they really don't believe it, but because it threatens fossil fuel profits.

Greed comes in all ages.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/26/o...epublican.html
    Last edited by allegro; 11-28-2018 at 12:14 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    "....low sales of the Chevy Cruze as a problem for the company."

That's odd; here in Ontario Canada (we we losing our Pickering GM plant) you see a lotttt of Chevy Cruzes on the roads, to me it looks like they did damn well with that car.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    Seriously, wasn't there a youngish rapper some time back that truly thought the Earth was flat? Young people are not definitively the answer.
    ah yes, that famous young rapper/five time All Star PG Kyrie Irving

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Lord have mercy, just got back from the NIN sub. The whining from redditors about Trent's Ted Cruz comments the other night is getting to me. "I go to concerts to have fun and not talk about politics. Why does he have to make everything political? REEEEE."

Sure enough, when you click on their post history, they stump for Trump (and Cruz, McConnell etc.) In the NIN sub's defense, those folks are getting downvoted pretty handily.

They wanted a leader who was vicious and condescending to the people groups they didn't like/were afraid of, but they didn't have the stones to own it when called to the carpet for it. That's the part that really kills me, and I see it with my family members all the time. They are either MAGA or of the "all sides are the same" persuasion, and they get so frustrated when you dare to tell them they effed up, no matter how reasonably you present your perspective. "Why can't you tolerate my intolerance? I have a right to an opinion! Why do you have to make everything political? WHY ARE WE SO DIVIDED?!?!"

They want to have their asshole cake and eat it too without anyone looking down on them for eating an entire cake made of assholes.

But if the rest of us have to deal with the practical consequences of your political ideology, then we have no obligation to shield you from the social consequences of your political ideology. So when your musical idol talks trash about your ideology, that's a social consequence that YOU signed up for willingly.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    Lord have mercy, just got back from the NIN sub. The whining from redditors about Trent's Ted Cruz comments the other night is getting to me. "I go to concerts to have fun and not talk about politics. Why does he have to make everything political? REEEEE."

Sure enough, when you click on their post history, they stump for Trump (and Cruz, McConnell etc.) In the NIN sub's defense, those folks are getting downvoted pretty handily.

They wanted a leader who was vicious and condescending to the people groups they didn't like/were afraid of, but they didn't have the stones to own it when called to the carpet for it. That's the part that really kills me, and I see it with my family members all the time. They are either MAGA or of the "all sides are the same" persuasion, and they get so frustrated when you dare to tell them they effed up, no matter how reasonably you present your perspective. "Why can't you tolerate my intolerance? I have a right to an opinion! Why do you have to make everything political? WHY ARE WE SO DIVIDED?!?!"

They want to have their asshole cake and eat it too without anyone looking down on them for eating an entire cake made of assholes.

But if the rest of us have to deal with the practical consequences of your political ideology, then we have no obligation to shield you from the social consequences of your political ideology. So when your musical idol talks trash about your ideology, that's a social consequence that YOU signed up for willingly.
    Honestly I thought what he said was funny - he was making it quite light hearted and nobody had to hold up their hand and say I voted for Cruz!

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Seriously... if you’re a trump fanatic and you wanna go to a concert where you’ll have your shitty worldview massaged, go see Three Doors Down.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Seriously... if you’re a trump fanatic and you wanna go to a concert where you’ll have your shitty worldview massaged, go see Three Doors Down.
    Lol really? I’m shocked they are still around.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Lol really? I’m shocked they are still around.
    They're not just still around, they performed at Trump's inauguration.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Trent's music has always had a focus on taking the piss out of people like Ted Cruz. Shit, do they think Head Like A Hole is just something to bang your head to? What a bunch of morons.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Trump, explaining the latest Cohen info: "I didn't do anything illegal." and "I didn't do anything wrong."

The former does not guarantee the latter. Engaging in massive personal business dealings with a hostile nation while running for president? Really fucking wrong.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Is this it? Is he finally going down?

Fuck, I hope so. I’m so very tired.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    Is this it? Is he finally going down?

Fuck, I hope so. I’m so very tired.
    I dunno, but Alderman Ed Burke’s office was raided by the FBI this morning. Butcher paper covered the windows. Nobody knows what’s going on.

Burke (an attorney) represented Trump in his Cook County tax appeals cases at Trump Tower in Chicago.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/ed...-hall-council/

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/alderma...ay-2018-11-29/
    Last edited by allegro; 11-29-2018 at 05:01 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    She made some famous tweet about buying your sons body cams and shit because there's a war on men. When I read it, I didn't even think twice. I laughed at the satire. I had never heard of her.

It was weeks before someone pointed out my mistake, and I became pretty depressed. It literally did not occur to me that such a ridiculous post could be anything but satire.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    I dunno, but Alderman Ed Burke’s office was raided by the FBI this morning. Butcher paper covered the windows. Nobody knows what’s going on.

Burke (an attorney) represented Trump in his Cook County tax appeals cases at Trump Tower in Chicago.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/ed...-hall-council/

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/alderma...ay-2018-11-29/
    From a very uneducated position, to me this sounds more like a search for info relating to tax evasion allegations than anything else. But maybe they're also just looking to secure any and all financial information to help see where money went and when?

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I know this is pretty damn unrelated and I don't want to start a new thread about it, but maybe someone here can answer this question for me...

Can I just handcuff myself to a business' doors and rant like a fucking lunatic for six hours or so and not wind up in jail? I understand Twitter didn't want to press charges against whomever this person is, but isn't that disrupting the peace or something? Because sometimes I get bored, and I think Twitter sucks, and if I can get away with chaining myself to their building and blabbing like a lunatic all day, maybe I can turn this into a profit somewhere down the line.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Did...did those fans not listen to YEAR ZERO?! What did they think that whole thing was about??? Fuck i wish Capital G was on the set list!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Ah yes, the old "my head is empty so everything has to be meaningless" argument

rock fans break down roughly into two groups, people angry at those above and people angry at those below

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Ah yes, the old "my head is empty so everything has to be meaningless" argument
    Huh?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    LOL. The NIN sub is becoming such a joke. Butthurt everywhere. Got called a prick for saying I don't feel bad for people who support the guys taking kids away from their parents.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    Did...did those fans not listen to YEAR ZERO?! What did they think that whole thing was about??? Fuck i wish Capital G was on the set list!
    And... I just did a quick google search for this video, but Trent has been saying on record for over ten years that if you're a Republican, Nine Inch Nails likely isn't for you. OVER ten years, at least. I just don't get it.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Huh?
    sorry, that was a bit garbled and pretentious. Basically people who complain about politics in music ("stick to music", etc) act like it's a faux pas to inject a bit of meaning into things, instead of acknowledging the problem being their inability to deal with difference

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    sorry, that was a bit garbled and pretentious. Basically people who complain about politics in music ("stick to music", etc) act like it's a faux pas to inject a bit of meaning into things, instead of acknowledging the problem being their inability to deal with difference
    Ohhhhhhh, gotcha. That makes a lot more sense - and I agree. If you're the kind of person who thinks "stick to music" is a valid argument, then take your own advice and stick to bitching about things on the internet all night while actual fans go see concerts.

Also, major drift occurring here. Let's try to get back on track.