Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Death Stranding

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Death Stranding

I thought I remembered a thread for this game being made, but I can't find anything, so here we go.

NEW TRAILER DROPPED, be ready to be simultaneously blown away and completely confused.

Kojima and Del Toro and Reedus and Mikkelsen all being involved is already great enough, I REALLY can't wait to see who they put in charge of music. Low Roar released a 12" vinyl single for two of their songs used in the first two trailers, so I wonder whether they'll have a hand in the scoring process as well? Either way, Kojima seems to be able to take anything he's given and turn it into gold, so color me excited.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    New trailer reveal happening. I’m not the only one who still gives a fuck! ^^’ November 9th, looks like the leak was accurate.

Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 05-29-2019 at 11:12 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Yeah that was pretty cool.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Still no fucking idea what this game is.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I have absolutely NO idea what this game is...but i WANT to play it!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I’ve seen enough that I’m pulling the trigger on a pre-order. Instances that occur in your world carry over and still remain even if you die.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Reviews seem to be in 2 camps, more mainstream outlets are saying it's slow and average, most independent outlet/reviewers are saying it's got issue but fucking amazing! Most playthroughs are between 80-100 hours...welp guess this will take me a month when i get it!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    IGN's review says all the missions are basically fetch quests.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    IGN's review says all the missions are basically fetch quests.
    Aside from the rescue angle to them that’s all that MGSV: The Phantom Pain was also.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    That sounds awful

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    In case it isn't clear from the reviews you've been looking at, reviews are only up to/through Chapter 3 (Giant Bomb explains the guidelines fully in their video). Also, Kojima was quoted as saying that a lot of people would dislike the first half of the game. I still have no idea what to think except I want to play this more than ever given the split "wtf" reviews.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    In case it isn't clear from the reviews you've been looking at, reviews are only up to/through Chapter 3 (Giant Bomb explains the guidelines fully in their video). Also, Kojima was quoted as saying that a lot of people would dislike the first half of the game. I still have no idea what to think except I want to play this more than ever given the split "wtf" reviews
    Yeah, I'm pretty much instantly turned off by any game where people say, "you have to give it 30 hours before it really gets going."

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    In case it isn't clear from the reviews you've been looking at, reviews are only up to/through Chapter 3 (Giant Bomb explains the guidelines fully in their video). Also, Kojima was quoted as saying that a lot of people would dislike the first half of the game. I still have no idea what to think except I want to play this more than ever given the split "wtf" reviews.

The Beastcast last week had a pretty good discussion on it as well.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Yeah, I'm pretty much instantly turned off by any game where people say, "you have to give it 30 hours before it really gets going."
    Two totally different games, but Persona 5 is HUGE and I was almost scared off by how boring it was the first 20 hours... But I pushed on and that game doesn't really open up until after about 40 hours and I cannot put it down lol. Still looking forward to this for sure.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 11-06-2019 at 11:19 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    So....

Spoiler: I am currently playing the game. I am on Episode 2: Amelie. So far so good, I'm interested to see how the story unfolds (which will probably lead to an open ending with 50 loose ends never tied up because Kojima). I am surprisingly following the narrative pretty well so far. The gameplay is "unique" but not super innovative. It plays almost identical to MGSV to me. This game feels like it's going to take A LOT from Mother Base (ugh) building/research, resource scavenging and mission structure from MGSV also. That's not a bad thing.

Sam is kinda aloof. I know that'll probably turn around eventually but the animations and character building are good so far. I can't wait till we meet Mads Mikkelsen's character. I wonder if he's the leader of Homo Demens Terrorist Squad you're warned about?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I'm about 10 Main Story Missions in (just did the wind mill/power station activation mission), randomly exploring and messing about I can safely say that I dig this game so far. I definitely could see why some might not like it.

I got 20 trophies already without trying.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 11-10-2019 at 08:27 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Waiting to grab this at the end of the month for a price drop. Just can't stretch buying almost 3 games in under a week.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    This game is amazing, and one of the best of the decade. I can only assume that the people who dont like it need to have vu
    Iolence in their games or something. A wholly unique and original experience.

Also that stuff about like it doesn't get good til chapter 3 is bullshit too. It certainly picks up in chapter 3 and opens up, but it's still great u til that point. The story is weird, yes. Hard to understand? No. A little bit dumb in exactly the way kojima writing is dumb.
    Last edited by Wretchedest; 11-10-2019 at 10:51 PM.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    The score for this game is absolutely gorgeous. There are elements of Cliff Martinez, Hans Zimmer, and Elliot Goldenthal all rolled into one:

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    The score for this game is absolutely gorgeous. There are elements of Cliff Martinez, Hans Zimmer, and Elliot Goldenthal all rolled into one.
    Funny, I came here to post about the score. The podcast Level with Emily Reese just had Joel Corelitz on to talk about how he and Ludvig Forssell went about making the music:

https://lwer.podbean.com/e/level-119...ath-stranding/

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    This game is amazing, and one of the best of the decade. I can only assume that the people who dont like it need to have vu
    Iolence in their games or something. A wholly unique and original experience.

Also that stuff about like it doesn't get good til chapter 3 is bullshit too. It certainly picks up in chapter 3 and opens up, but it's still great u til that point. The story is weird, yes. Hard to understand? No. A little bit dumb in exactly the way kojima writing is dumb.
    Minus a compelling what if narrative, I regard most of the game's "boring walking simulator" more like a puzzle game. Between balance, item arrangement, speed, weather, elevation and sleuthing past BTs and Mules it's more complex than you'd think. However, I disagree with the idea that no violence is a ruling factor for why someone wouldn't like this. The story isn't super accessible to a larger audience and aside from niche game play enthusiasts this is a severely bizarre game to play. I personally feel most of the gameplay style is ported directly from MGSV, honestly.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I'll be picking this up for christmas i think but i definitely think i'll dig it!

As a side i saw BMTH did an original song for the game and...it's actually really fucking good, certainly the heaviest sounding thing they'd done in awhile!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    This is neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    As a side i saw BMTH did an original song for the game and...it's actually really fucking good, certainly the heaviest sounding thing they'd done in awhile!
    I don't like them post Suicide Season and even then they're from high school days. I like Shadow Moses also (off Sempiternal). Maybe they should just do songs based on Kojima stuff.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This game is amazing. It should be boring as hell, but it isn't. It's addictive and the landscapes are breathtaking. This game shouldn't be awesome, but it is.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Finished Episode 2. Don't watch if you're not into spoilers but so awesome. I love the creep factor and aesthetic of this game.

I'm hooked.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Collector’s Edition finally came yesterday, and I’m finally getting to jump into the game tonight.

It’s not often that I get half an hour into a game and immediately know that I'm in for something special, but here I am. I can’t WAIT to see where this goes over the next several days. Kojima hasn’t let me down yet and I have a feeling this isn’t going to change that one bit.

Also, I LOVE this light-up BB pod that came with it. What a cool fucking item to make available. From the merchandise, to the premise, to the music, I adore everything about this game so far and I’ve hardly even seen anything yet.

(Link to a few pictures I grabbed if anyone is curious - https://www.facebook.com/503275934/p...35?d=n&sfns=mo)
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 11-19-2019 at 10:02 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Started Episode 5: Mama this morning.

Spoiler: Fought Clifford Unger for the first time finally, so cool! Mama is such a unique and cool character as well!

Loving this game more and more each time I play it. Haters labeling this game "a boring walking and delivery man simulator" is such a lazy fucking cop out. The game immediately opened up in Episode 3 both narrative wise and gameplay wise. Kojima was right about people not liking the first half, being in Episode 5 now I can say this game is NOTHING like it was in Episode 1.

The social multiplayer interaction is so cool with helping each other out to build structures and useful items. I love it.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Finally finished this the other day the first time through. 155 hours total after spending a lot of time getting sidetracked with orders toward the middle section of the game, but this is definitely my game of the year. It’s everything I could have possibly wanted from a Kojima title, and I keep reading more stuff online about things I haven’t seen/done yet in my initial playthrough.

Starting over with a clean save file on Hard difficulty, and I’m really gonna take my time to explore this map and do the things and read all the information I skimmed over before.

It definitely isn’t for everyone, either, and I think that makes it a bit more charming for me. It’s a little slow-burning and demands your attention and I wouldn’t want it any other way.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I clocked 21 hours and am on route to Mountain Knot City. I salute your game completion sir. I got a ways to go.