Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: How to Make Music with Your Computer

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by benoïde View Post
    Hey, nice to see someone else interested into this sort of thing! I'm a sound engineer (mostly classical music recording but also VR post and other stuff). The Noisemakers stuff is good, I used it to do a binaural mix of a classical music competition recently (you can listen to a cello concerto here).
    Have you gone further with your experiments?
    Thank you! No, I haven't, yet, but I will... soon! Your cello concerto binaural mix sounds pretty good! I want to learn more about this technology, let's talk! (we can chat about it via PM's if other people are not interested about it in this thread.)

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    I helped create the latest @ianshepherd video about the loudness war. He even called my mix "conservative", like @botley would!

Last edited by wizfan; 07-26-2017 at 09:16 AM. Reason: replaced video with updated version

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Haha well done sir! Even on my Asus SonicMaster laptop speakers I heard the difference

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    teaching myself renoise. little help from plogue chipsounds polski.bandcamp.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Got Pro Tools on my laptop a while back, and it's really awesome. It's so much fun recording audio and MIDI stuff on it, and the amount of cool plug-ins you can get is staggering! Native Instruments had a Thanksgiving sale, so I managed to get Massive and Guitar Rig 5, which are fantastic. Also, I stumbled across the Izotope Iris 2 sampler, which Angus Andrew used extensively on the latest Liars record, so I had to check it out! There's so many options for unique sounds, I don't think I've even scratched the surface of it yet.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    got korg's gadget for the iPad really like it
    -Louie

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I've tried quite a few DAWs since I started dabbling in production in 1999, from Fruity Loops to Sony Acid to Cubase to Reason, but in 2011 I'm completely switched over to Ableton Live Suite and it's done wonders to my workflow and get ideas from my head down easier. I started sharing my music online back in 2003 and put out my first album in 2009 and been releasing stuff ever since on streaming services and in digital music stores. I use Izotope Ozone for mastering, NI Komplete Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Korg Legacy Collection, Illformed Glitch, some Sugar Bytes products, with hardware analog synths.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Noticed this thanks to the REAPER blog channel, open source virtual modular! :-O
    https://vcvrack.com/

Haven't tested it myself yet because I am kinda worried to start going into this stuff, but who knows, maybe Mr. Cortini is having fun with one right now? :-)

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Hey, does anybody have experience using a non-Mac computer as a hub for MIDI control into an iPad? I have a USB keyboard that I'd like to use as the controller for an Audiobus-capable app, but ideally while continuing to work on my main Windows machine. Is there a DAW or piece of MIDI bridge software that will talk to Audiobus from a Windows 10-controlled USB hub? Or do I need to go borrow someone's Mac and use a DAW that talks to Core MIDI to rout the controller into Audiobus?

EDIT: Looks like I might be able to do it via the Bonjour wireless protocol for Windows and rtpMIDI networking, but is there a more reliable hard-connection method that doesn't go through the wireless antenna of the iPad?

Basically, I am just trying to quickly simulate the sound of playing a "real Mellotron"; I already have all the authentic tape sounds loaded into a janky old iPad Mini with a dodgy antenna that's running Mellotron XL. I ultimately want to mic both the key noise from a sticky Korg MicroKey and the sound coming out of the iPad's internal speaker to approximate some of the halting unsteadiness & tinny warble that playing a real Mellotron in a room actually sounds like. Arcane bit of business, but the tape sounds recorded from playing keys within the app itself are too clean, and I really want that vintage about-to-break feel for this project but without too much fussiness. I'll probably also be overdubbing more clunks/other operational noises and messing with the pitch, thus adding to the shittiness slightly without having to build it all from inside the box. Or buy an actual hardware Mellotron...
    Last edited by botley; 12-30-2017 at 10:36 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Minimoog Model D for $4.99? Sure! :-) iOS app, sounds pretty good.
    https://www.moogmusic.com/products/a...og-model-d-app

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Hey, does anybody have experience using a non-Mac computer as a hub for MIDI control into an iPad?
    I use iConnect 2x2 for integrating an iPad... pretty sure it works w/ PC.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I use iConnect 2x2 for integrating an iPad... pretty sure it works w/ PC.
    Thanks! Will give that a go next time (ended up just recording some jams straight out of the headphone jack into a DI, then just doing some severe EQ to make it suitably shitty).

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I'll put this here... YouTube Recording Revolution channel lead me to this:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/songwritingacademy/videos
    It feels like this dude knows what he's talking about, Re: song writing. For example I did not realize that if you start chorus on beat 1, maybe you should not start on beat 1 verses or anything else.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Does anyone know where to get good drum samples? I'm not finding anything inspirational really in the default Logic drum packs.

Thanks in advance

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ton View Post
    Does anyone know where to get good drum samples? I'm not finding anything inspirational really in the default Logic drum packs.

Thanks in advance
    That really depends... are you looking for free samples? What kind of music are you trying to make? Are you looking to buy some packs, and if so, what's your budget?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    That really depends... are you looking for free samples? What kind of music are you trying to make? Are you looking to buy some packs, and if so, what's your budget?
    Thanks, I'm looking for free samples. I used to get the ones that came in the CDs from Computer Music Magazine. They were much higher quality than ones I usually find for free online. I'm broke now though.

The music I make is mostly rnb and hip hop based. I make some UK style breakbeat sometime for fun.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Probably over a decade ago, I downloaded a surprisingly decent set of acoustic drums from Dooley Drums - which apparently still exists, and has greatly expanded since then. Check out the options there.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    Noticed this thanks to the REAPER blog channel, open source virtual modular! :-O
    https://vcvrack.com/

Haven't tested it myself yet because I am kinda worried to start going into this stuff, but who knows, maybe Mr. Cortini is having fun with one right now? :-)
    Keith Hillebrandt is a fan of VCV; he's in their Facebook group! I've tried VCV Rack myself and it's pretty cool, considering I don't know jack shit about modular synths. Gotta watch those YouTube tutorials sometime...

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ton View Post
    Thanks, I'm looking for free samples. I used to get the ones that came in the CDs from Computer Music Magazine. They were much higher quality than ones I usually find for free online. I'm broke now though.

The music I make is mostly rnb and hip hop based. I make some UK style breakbeat sometime for fun.
    I highly recommend looking at some of the free sample banks from Goldbaby. They don't match up to the packs they sell, but they're all quality, and their banks they charge for are reasonable priced. Also, for hip hop kick drums (or kicks in general) I think everyone should check out the Punchbox from D16 software. It's not free, but you'll get so much mileage out of it, and craft your own kick banks, and you can use the free demo to create a ton of custom samples (with an easy-export button)

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    I highly recommend looking at some of the free sample banks from Goldbaby. They don't match up to the packs they sell, but they're all quality, and their banks they charge for are reasonable priced. Also, for hip hop kick drums (or kicks in general) I think everyone should check out the Punchbox from D16 software. It's not free, but you'll get so much mileage out of it, and craft your own kick banks, and you can use the free demo to create a ton of custom samples (with an easy-export button)
    Yeah, Goldbaby are cool as hell. They have free samples in rx2 as well; I love this format.

Thanks for letting us know about Punchbox, it seems intriguing! I'll consider buying it. Sonic Academy Kick 2 is great as well.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Thanks @Jinsai and @wizfan . I'm gonna download some stuff from Goldbaby right now. Excited to try something new. Also will look at that Punchbox plug-in, I might be able to afford at least one instrument.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Remember when I asked about samples from artists like NIN? Well, back in 1998, the band Skinny Puppy had collaborated with the company Time+Space to create the sample library "Skinned" (heh). It was available in CD format, but now you can buy it from Time+Space's website as a 472MB download for $30.

https://www.timespace.com/products/zero-g-skinned

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    I saw this a few days ago and got distracted during the registration. Thank you for the reminder!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Definitely an awesome deal. Already a proud owner. If you haven't tried Ozone, GET IT! I absolutely love Ozone. Started using them back in 2011 for my album Children Of The Bomb, this was Version 4 at the time. An amazing program.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I absolutely love Ozone.
    I like Ozone a lot, especially its Imager. My fave iZotope plugin is RX, by far. I mean, its noise reduction is... holy shit.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Just got SONiVOX Premier Collection for a very low price at Plugin Boutique: $61.05 (original price: $226.5). It requires the purchase of another SONiVOX product; I had to buy one of their single instruments for $4 to become eligible for Premier. I know I'm sounding like an ad-bot, but... this bundle includes TimewARP 2600, which emulates the ARP 2600 synth that Flood played on NIN's The Becoming. Even Robert friggin' Rich says that the plugin is incredibly accurate.

One by one, all of NIN's tools eventually become OUR tools. How long until we get the first official Kontakt libary of Trent's prestigious tambourine collection?

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I already have enough drum machi...ah, what the hell, what's fifty more, right?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Now this is seriously funny... drum machine (?) for iPad or Android, played with it last evening, instant Year Zero:

Plus, author's homepage is "warmplace" https://warmplace.ru/soft/fbits/, so you know what it means. :-)