Thread: How to Make Music with Your Computer

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    well, just so nobody gets me wrong, I'm not saying that software sucks, or that it's even "inferior" to hardware (in the general statement sense).

Still, Rebirth does NOT sounds like a real 303, but the distinction depends on what you're doing with it. You can do amazing things in Rebirth, but it cannot do this:

I never want to sound like I'm siding on the hardware purist side of things, but these hardware tools do have their purposes. The minimoog is also not just for those distinct classic sounds. You can do some truly amazing things with it. Still, there's things you can do with software synths that no hardware synth can match. I've been building pads from resampled feedback in Absynth, and no hardware synth I've seen gives me the flexability to do what I'm doing with that.

Every tool has its uses. Even the first synth that I bought, the Quasimidi Sirius. It's super dated by today's standards, it's incredibly limited, but I can still do some unique things, especially with my approach, that I cannot pull off in more expensive hardware or cheaper (or more expensive by today's standards) software. Back when I bought that thing, software synthesis on your home computer was a new thing, and it was incredibly limited. I was recording my tracks on a cassette-based 4-track for a long time before I moved to a computer DAW. Kids today don't know how good they have it. If, back then, you'd shown me Massive running on my home PC, my head would have exploded.

Still, if we were to get into a discussion about digital vs analog distortion FX, that's a completely different discussion. I'll just say that analog distortion is required 99% of the time.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 01-06-2013 at 11:06 PM.