Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: How to Make Music with Your Computer

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    My old M-Audio interface seems to be on its last leg, so I'm thinking that it is time to upgrade!
    Looking at the recent Steinberg UR-RT2/UR-RT4. It’s a little above the price range I was hoping for, but those Neve transformers are appealing..
    Anyone have experience with this interface, or have any recommendations for others?

https://www.steinberg.net/en/product...es/ur_rt4.html

EDIT: Also considering the Focusrite Scarlett 4i4, Roland Rubix44 or PreSonus 68
    Last edited by Soma; 05-25-2020 at 11:49 PM.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    @Soma , my wife's got a Rubix24 and it was a solid choice.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Free new extreme verb/delay plugin from Valhalla. Couldn't be easier to download and install.

https://valhalladsp.com/shop/reverb/...LqUzIfUlv-Em50

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I ended up ordering the Rubix44, and so far I am really enjoying it! The built-in compressors + limiters are a nice feature, very handy for preventing clipping in otherwise good takes.
    Now I'm developing gear acquisition syndrome for microphones. Recently ordered a MXL 770 condenser and a Sennheiser e602-II bass drum mic, finally getting some decent drum sounds. Now I'm playing around with where to put my old Shure 516eq on the snare.
    Eventually I'll probably pick up another condenser or a SM57 to utilize the Channel 4 input, but this current set-up seems to be a good start. Looking forward to breaking my dependency on programmed drums!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    "New App Lets You Hide Hidden Messages In Your Music"
    http://www.synthtopia.com/content/20...in-your-music/

:-)

Anyway, in the meantime, I gave up and got cheapest subscription of Roland ZENOLOGY, and it's worth it, tons of good sounds (VST).
    https://www.roland.com/sk/products/rc_zenology/

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Slowly dipping my toes into the wonderful waters of Pure Data (mostly using Camomile and PDVST). If you thought VCV Rack, Max for Live and Reaktor were huge, Pure Data will blow you away. Also, since I'm becoming more and more familiar with Reaper, I really need to learn how to code some JSFX. By the way, anyone familiar with Iannix? IIRC, I used LoopMIDI to send MIDI data from Iannix to Ableton. Yes, I could actually draw vector curves that were translated to MIDI messages. If that isn't IDM, I don't know what is.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Guess what? I worked on a drum VST! And you can get it for free (name your price)!

https://www.organicdrumloops.com/ogdl-plugins/ock-vst/

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    that's reason number a billion why "FUCK Pro Tools, there's a billion other reasons to use ANYTHING else, and the only reason you need to be proficient in it is if you're working in a studio"

I fucking HATE Pro Tools with an unreal passion. I know how to use it, I need to (unfortunately). But EVERYTHING about it is garbage compared to other options. Did you know that the first #1 platinum selling single recorded exclusively w/ Pro Tools was Living La Vida Loca? BTW, there's freeware out there now that blows away all the options used to make that shitty song.

Fuck Pro Tools.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 12-19-2020 at 08:57 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    that's reason number a billion why "FUCK Pro Tools, there's a billion other reasons to use ANYTHING else, and the only reason you need to be proficient in it is if you're working in a studio"

I fucking HATE Pro Tools with an unreal passion. I know how to use it, I need to (unfortunately). But EVERYTHING about it is garbage compared to other options. Did you know that the first #1 platinum selling single recorded exclusively w/ Pro Tools was Living La Vida Loca? BTW, there's freeware out there now that blows away all the options used to make that shitty song.

Fuck Pro Tools.
    yeah, i'm glad i decided to move away from it this year. i think at this point i won't ever have to try to use it again.

ready for the story of how it went the other day?

my mom brought my desktop computer over on wednesday, and i got it started up, pro tools opened fine, my old extrernal hard drive (firewire 800) mounted fine...but it wasn't showing me directories. so like, it was there, but when i opened it in the finder, it was acting like it had no contents but was trying to load them. so i shut down the computer, tried connecting it with a firewire to thunderbolt adapter in between (which is how i usually connect it because the firewire port on the computer is normally connected to the audio interface) but it wouldn't mount. so i tried going back to just firewire...and it would power briefly and then stop. tried the USB option (it has a usb 2.0 connection but i had literally never used it) and it did the same thing. tried to connect it via various adapters to my newer laptop (which it had worked on before) but it did the same thing. hard drive is dead.
    unfortunately, my newer external is usb 3.0, and my desktop doesn't have any 3.0 ports, so it won't even recognize the drive as a thing.

so after some crying and a near panic attack and a lot of sweating, i managed to transfer from my newer hard drive (i had all the stuff on there already), through my laptop, through the network, to the desktop of my desktop, and then i was able to open the PT sessions, export the files, and transfer them back over the network.

jesus. fucking. christ.

also, ordered TWO new hard drives so i can now have my main drive for traveling between home and my parents' (where i record), and two for redundant backup.
    my main drive is named K-2SO and my new ones are IG-11 and D-0 (i always name my external drives after robots, the one that died the other day is Clank).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Actually shelled out 400 bucks for the Arturia V collection. I always wanted VSTs for the ARP2600, Emu 2 (new!), CS-80, Jupiter 8, Juno, DX7, etc. It's fantastic. Having so much fun with them. Normally I get buyer's remorse with this kind of stuff, but I feel like it's a great deal. Running them through Reason (longtime fan; actually love the interface).

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artdeco View Post
    Actually shelled out 400 bucks for the Arturia V collection. I always wanted VSTs for the ARP2600, Emu 2 (new!), CS-80, Jupiter 8, Juno, DX7, etc. It's fantastic. Having so much fun with them. Normally I get buyer's remorse with this kind of stuff, but I feel like it's a great deal. Running them through Reason (longtime fan; actually love the interface).
    Most of my software is NFRs, so I already feel like I have too much, but I bought the Arturia collection. Some of it is great. The ARP plugin is worth it alone really, but I think I got it on a fire sale where the bundle was 250 or something that was really hard to turn down. It is worth 400, or more really. The prices of music software are fluctuating so hardcore right now. A single Waves plugin used to go for 250 bucks, but they just had a crazy sale where their Diamond bundle was on sale for under 300 bucks, and I didn't buy it because I've picked up almost everything in it that I want I guess, but I don't even want to think of how many thousands of dollars I've given them.

I bought the previous iteration of Reason, but I honestly haven't used it much. The Noise Engineering extensions are dope, and I would really like to use them more, but I hit a roadblock where I have to learn an entirely new DAW, and now you can't rewire it with the newest version, so that really bugs me a bit.

It's also totally bizarre, because I am pretty sure Propellerhead invented the rewire format
    Last edited by Jinsai; 01-08-2021 at 01:13 PM.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    wow... this free (well, standalone version is free) modular softsynth is amazing. I've just been toying with it, but if it really does seemlessly integrate into the Softube modular environment (which I think is the only way to run it within a DAW) it's almost certainly still worth the asking price. But for free? That's either "the best demo ever" or really, all you need possibly.

https://vcvrack.com/Rack#get

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    holiday freebie, iZotope Trash 2 (amazing distortion plugin) is free right now.

https://www.izotope.com/en/lp/izotop...h3Ga2PQGN5lBpk

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    I dropped a free little anti-chiptune synth:

https://github.com/fotisandstuff/wild

Win x64 VST3 only for the time being, Mac/Linux coming soon. Please let me know what you think!

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Fooling around with this. Yes, it's the software Trent used from PHM up until The Fragile. It does make me feel like I'm in young Trent's shoes. Currently reading the manual. Sure, nowadays the cool kids use Max, Pure Data/PlugData, Reaktor etc., but this little thing has so much charm in it and I love making weird noises with it or manipulating samples with its "Convert Sample to Oscillator" mode.

By the way, if you'd like to see me use that aforementioned mode on a sample of my voice, go here (sorry about the audio, we had a feedback problem when a mic was picking up the speakers' sound). I added a timestamp at the link, but, in case it doesn't work, go to 41:57.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I'm sure getting it to run on modern OS's would be a pain? I've always been curious to mess around with it.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I'm sure getting it to run on modern OS's would be a pain? I've always been curious to mess around with it.
    The first video in my post is a tutorial on how to set it up on Win 10. It was fairly easy. For modern Mac OSX, you can get the OSX version of SheepShaver, load an image of Mac OS 9 in it, then follow the Turbosynth tutorial.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

This. All of this.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    UAD is giving away their LA-2A plugin until Halloween. It's a little bit of a hassle to get it verified, but hey, free LA-2A, and you don't need the UA hardware

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Anyone else getting the Ableton Live 12 update? The new features sound pretty awesome