Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Make Music with Your Computer

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    Is there a product that can accurately mimic the microKorg sounds? I sold mine a while back but am in need of some of the patches and all I have is my trusty controller and Ableton.
    Not sure if the sale is still going on, but this might help. It usually retails for 200, but there's a discount code at checkout that makes it 0.00 USD.

http://www.uvi.net/en/vintage-corner...eid=306f29a77e

Use code FREEDS at checkout. Hopefully it still works

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Not sure if the sale is still going on, but this might help. It usually retails for 200, but there's a discount code at checkout that makes it 0.00 USD.

http://www.uvi.net/en/vintage-corner...eid=306f29a77e

Use code FREEDS at checkout. Hopefully it still works
    It expired. I appreciate it though.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    badass.

i just found this.
    52,261 hits and loops, fair game for use and free to download.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    has anyone else in here messed around with the new(ish) plugin VST/AU version of Renoise, Redux? At first I didn't really get the point, when you could (just as easily?) rewire Renoise into your host application (especially since Renoise somehow allows VST/AU usage in rewire mode), but I'm starting to see the usefulness for someone like me, and it's like the clouds are parting...

I'm just so much faster in Ableton and Logic than I am in Renoise, and Redux offers all of the features I use when rewiring it. There's a few limitations I've run into that have upset me a little, but overall, it's like having a modern tracker plug running with little CPU usage.

It would be nice if they offered a discount to registered Renoise users, but at the price they're charging it's hard to complain. If you've been interested in implementing a tracker format into your DAW for whatever reason, but don't want to deal with the technical wall that could imply, this is an amazing solution.

I've also been looking at getting a dedicated secondary monitor and tilting the axis sideways to run Reason in rewire mode. It looks like it could help part the creative gap (illusion to a certain degree?) you get with the computer approach to all of this...

Like this, w/ a large reason rack running on the right monitor:

Last edited by Jinsai; 10-15-2015 at 12:59 AM.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Do it. I run Reaper fullscreen on a dualscreen using the White Tie Imperial theme, with my timeline in the left screen, and my right screen is all mixer. It's awesome.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I just wanna put a shout out to Ableton. I resisted it for many years, wanting to do things my own way. Then eventually my iPad MIDI sequencer packed up and iOS bunged up my old ipad 2. So I thought fuck it, I'll put ableton on my laptop, ported my MIDI files, rearranged, then realised that this software is bloody amazing. So many great features (merging projects into live sets, live effects etc..) I'm just silly for holding out so long. I now can't wait to dig in and play more...

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidcalm View Post
    I just wanna put a shout out to Ableton. I resisted it for many years, wanting to do things my own way. Then eventually my iPad MIDI sequencer packed up and iOS bunged up my old ipad 2. So I thought fuck it, I'll put ableton on my laptop, ported my MIDI files, rearranged, then realised that this software is bloody amazing. So many great features (merging projects into live sets, live effects etc..) I'm just silly for holding out so long. I now can't wait to dig in and play more...
    Ableton has evolved into an absolutely amazing program. It's probably my favorite environment to write in at this point.

Wait till you get into effect racks!

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Ableton live 9.5 is crazy! The improvements to Simpler (warping and slicing functions) are amazing, and the new analog modeled filters... Best free update ever. Also I'm finally sold on the new Push controller. The link protocol for iOS devices...

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Ableton live 9.5 is crazy! The improvements to Simpler (warping and slicing functions) are amazing, and the new analog modeled filters... Best free update ever. Also I'm finally sold on the new Push controller. The link protocol for iOS devices...
    Hell yeah. Just installed it, myself.

So, I was looking around for sample packs of any kind and I thought "why hasn't Trent released a sample pack with his signature amazing sounds?", but then I realized I can just chop up NIN multitracks. Especially Ghosts and The Slip, which are released under a Creative Commons license, so I can do whatever I want with them, since I myself release my stuff with the same license (I could do this to the game-sourced NIN multitracks as well, but I still respect the licenses shit). I'd love to use the Soundtoys plugins he has praised. And all the rest.

By the way, has anyone in the NIN-camp or friends of NIN released sample packs, plugins, presets etc.? I have an ultra-rare Telefon Tel Aviv drum kit. It's for Native Instruments' KORE Player in *.ksd format, but I can render it in WAV if anyone's interested.

Also, this guy, who touts everywhere that he's worked with NIN. His only contribution I could find was that he edited the audio of Beside You In Time (using Nuendo, of all things).

And this is pretty spot-on.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    By the way, has anyone in the NIN-camp or friends of NIN released sample packs, plugins, presets etc.? I have an ultra-rare Telefon Tel Aviv drum kit. It's for Native Instruments' KORE Player in *.ksd format, but I can render it in WAV if anyone's interested.
    Keith Hillebrandt released Useful Noise shortly after the Fragile. Here ya go.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Soundtoys are an amazing company. You won't regret buying anything from them

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Keith Hillebrandt released Useful Noise shortly after the Fragile. Here ya go.
    I use useful noise in pretty much everryyyyyyyyyyyyyyything I do

did not realize he had started making new ones. fascinating. thanks for the heads up

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    black friday deal, Waves TrueVerb plugin is free

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    black friday deal, Waves TrueVerb plugin is free
    And so are SoundToys LittleAlterboy, Soundmorph's DR01D, all of MaxSynth's VST's, and more. Check http://bedroomproducersblog.com for all the free stuff that came out this Friday. I've grabbed so many plugins I'll probably never use.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    free Vinyl plugin from iZotope is now live. Now 64 bit. https://www.izotope.com/en/products/...ruments/vinyl/

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    the founder of Nomad Factory has passed away. The company is giving away their Bus Driver Compressor for free for a limited time in his honor.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/...or-free-634337

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Last edited by Jinsai; 02-09-2016 at 02:50 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    With some new iPads on the horizon, I am eyeing prices of first iPad Air. I never wanted to enter the Apple universe (knowing myself I'd have to explore all settings everywhere etc.), but the idea of playing with nice stuff like Korg Gadget anywhere is quite attractive... In the meantime, I discovered that Lemur exists also for my ordinary Android tablet, but first I'll try this cheaper option: http://www.humatic.de/htools/touchdaw/ - will require some PC configuration (rtpMidi at least), but looks like useful control surface for PC DAW.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    There was a competition to reinterpret a song from a game I play. I decided to go for a eurodance-inspired version, both because I thought it would be funny given the source material and so I could actually get some experience using Ableton Live 9 Lite. Everything was done using stock instruments/effects that come with Lite. Here is the end result: https://soundcloud.com/bgalbraith/ni...ega-moogle-mix.

This is my first attempt at actually putting something like this together, so comments and critiques are welcome. (There's also a very silly music video to go with it, but that's less relevant here).

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    How is the sound of the verse vocals on telefon tel aviv's version of Where Is Everybody done?

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    How is the sound of the verse vocals on telefon tel aviv's version of Where Is Everybody done?
    I once thought it was done manually by carefully splicing up the audio file, processing each fragment individually, and constructing the entire thing bit by bit. But after playing with a few glitch plugins, I wouldn't be surprised if they actually just ran the whole vocal track through one of those to get the same effect. I've messed around a little with dblue's glitch (which is a free plugin, or at least it used to be) and gotten results that were not exactly the same, but somewhat similar.
    Last edited by Mantra; 04-26-2016 at 10:43 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    I once thought it was done manually by carefully splicing up the audio file, processing each fragment individually, and constructing the entire thing bit by bit. But after playing with a few glitch plugins, I wouldn't be surprised if they actually just ran the whole vocal track through one of those to get the same effect. I've messed a little around with dblue's glitch (which is a free plugin, or at least it used to be) and gotten results that were not exactly the same, but somewhat similar.
    word.
    i got a relatively well known texas dnb mc to rap on this beat i made, and i want to put effects on words here and there. i want it to be good.
    it will be the most high profile thing i've ever worked on.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    In fact, sorry for double post, but is one of you guys interested in listening to my new track and bouncing some ideas off of me?

The music is mixed, and i'm very proud of it.

But the rapper...i think i need to add some effects here and there to spice it up-it's spacey sounding music and spacey subject matter.
    @Mantra ? @wizfan ? @Jinsai ?

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    In fact, sorry for double post, but is one of you guys interested in listening to my new track and bouncing some ideas off of me?

But the rapper...i think i need to add some effects here and there to spice it up-it's spacey sounding music and spacey subject matter.
    @Mantra ? @wizfan ? @Jinsai?
    Sure dude.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

@Mantra ? @wizfan ? @Jinsai ?
    Throw everything you like towards my direction. I'd be happy to help!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    Much though I despise Apple, and despite having finally switched to Android this year (quite happily, still) this news has me inching just that much closer to the idea of getting an iPad.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Much though I despise Apple, and despite having finally switched to Android this year (quite happily, still) this news has me inching just that much closer to the idea of getting an iPad.
    I bought an iPad for a couple of different Korg apps a few years ago. Didn't use them much, but they worked quite well and I was happy with the app purchases for sure.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    So, if you want to draw "The Presence" (Year Zero) into your music, Spectropaint in #ReaperDAW is here to help. :-)