Thread: The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Amazon original series)

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Amazon original series)

Is anyone else watching this show?

For those who have never even heard of it, it's a "1960's NYC"-based show about a woman who - very spontaneously - ends up pursuing comedy. Very pro-feminism series; created by Amy Sherman-Palladino (creator of Gilmore Girls). I'm three episodes in so far and loving everything about it. The acting is anywhere from pretty good to downright great, the cinematography is excellent, and the writing is top-notch. And for those of you who are (or were) House of Cards fans, the lead actress in this is none other than Rachel Brosnahan (Rachel Posner).

Here's a trailer. I rarely get into new shows these days, but I am hooked on this one. It only took me one day to go through three episodes, it may not even take me another two to finish the eight-episode season.

Obligatory warning for anyone who may watch with kiddos - boobs and swearing aplenty in the first episode. Lots more swearing throughout.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i'm glad to hear this is good! i saw a weird behind the scenes/preview thing at the movie theater recently and it made it seem really confusing and sad, and was not even remotely clear about what the actual story was. definitely going to check this out when i have time!

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i'm glad to hear this is good! i saw a weird behind the scenes/preview thing at the movie theater recently and it made it seem really confusing and sad, and was not even remotely clear about what the actual story was. definitely going to check this out when i have time!
    Yeah, the trailer I saw on TV (not the one I posted) wasn't at all clear on what the show was about. I honestly only put it on out of sheer boredom, but I got hooked. Not at all the show I was expecting from the trailer. It certainly has sad elements, but Brosnahan's character is such an interesting paradox of prototypical 50's housewife and fiercely radical (for the era) that it's not as sad as it could be.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Show itself has won Best Musical or Comedy at both Critics Choice and Golden Globes. Same goes for Brosnahan's performance as the title character for both awards.

Not bad for a show that came out six weeks ago.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    This is one of the best shows out right now.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    So glad to see the awards this show has racked up. Excited to see what the future has in store.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    It's baaaaaaaack.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Can we talk about the last season now that it's out and over? I feel like it was a muddled mess but I see a lot of people raving over it. It's quite strange.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Can we talk about the last season now that it's out and over? I feel like it was a muddled mess but I see a lot of people raving over it. It's quite strange.
    I don't know... I thought it was perfect.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    been meaning to check this series out. hopefully I can start in a few days.