Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Dark (German Netflix series)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Dark (German Netflix series)

Anyone here watching the new German Netflix series Dark? An article called it the next Stranger Things, so I decided to check it out. Three episodes in and I am intrigued. You can watch it dubbed in English, but I prefer watching it with the original German dialogue and English subtitles. I always disliked dubbing, the way it sounds kinda ruins the atmosphere, and I rather watch things in their intended language. But this show is sure building up to something strange.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    This is next on our list after we finish Godless....and I'm with you 1000% on dubbing. To be honest, I can't recall a time where it didn't throw me off, haha.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I just finished watching it today and I really liked it, one of my favourite series this year.

German+ English subtitles is the way to go

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I’m an episode in and it’s definitely piqued my interest. Going with German with English subtitles as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Dark - Netflix series

Just binge-watched this, and I think it deserves its own thread.
    It's sooooo good. I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's probably my favorite time-travel narrative, period. It feels like it's doing new things with the genre.

As a starting point I'd say you could call it a German Stranger Things, but I enjoyed it a lot more than what I have seen of Stranger Things (season 1 but not season 2), it felt like it has more philosophical and conceptual depth and richer historical grounding. It does a really good job of depicting childhood, adulthood, old age, and making you consider life choices and how your life could have turned out different. It focuses on ordinary people in a specific place, pays a lot of attention to detail, and has some very cool nods to time travel classics.

The title "Dark" doesn't really do it justice, don't let that put you off.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I'm watching it again! Fuck, this is good. I can't stop thinking about it.

also, now I'm getting the Donnie Darko influence.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Totally gotta watch this again to pick up on everything. So good!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Season 2 is coming next Friday!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Z View Post
    Season 2 is coming next Friday!
    Oh that's exciting.
    I like when i new season drops unexpectedly.... still waiting for Mindhunter!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Oh that's exciting.
    I like when i new season drops unexpectedly.... still waiting for Mindhunter!
    I heard we will be getting a Mindhunter season 2 trailer really soon with it coming in August.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Season 3 out June 27, remember? Is this 2020...? Hard to say... ,~)

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    So, has anyone binged season 3 already? Friends told me it's a 10/10, but I actually give more to people's opinion on here. Wait... did I just type that?

No that's how bad some of my friend's taste is...

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    So, has anyone binged season 3 already? Friends told me it's a 10/10, but I actually give more to people's opinion on here. Wait... did I just type that?

No that's how bad some of my friend's taste is...
    I watched it over the last few days and I very much enjoyed it. I'm not as obsessive as some fans of the show are so there's probably more valuable opinions than my own out there but I'd say if you enjoyed the first two seasons I think you'll be satisfied. I may need to let it roll around my brain some more before I give it any rating. I will say without spoiling anything that there was one moment that reminded me of a scene from "Interstellar" and I was worried it would cop out at the end like that film did but what followed made sense and didn't derail anything that came before.

I think it may just be the best overall netflix original. Because it's in German language most people won't bother to find that out. Makes me wonder if it will end up being remade in english somewhere down the line for a wider audience. Its also another example of how important it is to have writers determine if a story is complete instead of stretching a show out over 10 seasons or canceling it too soon.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    So, has anyone binged season 3 already?
    Nope, I am taking one episode per evening and it's purposely the last thing I watch/do on that day... some things need time (Black Mirror, Twin Peaks), so I have two episodes left and yes it's pretty good, no idea what will happen, so why not to stay in this unknown a bit longer. :^) Binge watching is not cool for us, the strong ones.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Has anyone noticed that just about every single episode ends the exact same way? When there is about 10-12 minutes left, music will start playing and we'll see some kind of montage in slow motion, and then there will be one final scene. I think I noticed this last season too, but since I've noticed it it's been driving me nuts. And now all of you who haven't noticed it will have to share my dread.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    we finished season 2 tonight, can't wait to start season 3. my brain is going to explode but in a good way?

also, we screamed when they saw the poster for the Modern Talking "middle of nowhere" 1987 tour in an episode of season 2. we love modern talking, they're such a fun and ridiculous band.

gotta be honest, there have been a few things on the show that have made me feel queasy Spoiler: specifically the incest stuff but this is just such an amazing show. i want to see what their writers' room looked like...probably like a conspiracy theory wall haha

and i desperately hope no one would attempt to remake this, it would ruin it. this is a unique and incredible entry in the time travel subsection of science fiction.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Guess I will pick it up again now that I have some time on my hands. Really trying to dig in this time and making notes.

Saw a nice little feature on TV, where the two actors who play Jonas talk about their friendship in real life, like mirroring their individual personality and even grabbing a glass of water at the exact same time or improvising the same gesture for a specific scene. Seems like the casting director did a really neat job to find two people who may not look exactly the same with a certain age difference, but have a connection despite not having known each other before the show.

But jesus christ, the music makes me loose my mind... it's really plucking my nerves. It makes me uneasy and hard for me to watch the show.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I initially wanted to start the show because I had heard from a lot of people on another board talk about it. It seemed like an older Stranger Things almost from the way they were discussing it. So I started it up with my family and the second scene on screen is what's-his-face screwing the lady loudly and clearly. OK.

Ended up not finishing that episode, moved on to something else, but I watched a few episodes by myself. This is not a show to watch by yourself because there's no one to talk to about it. You watch an episode and you have to pay 100% attention at all times and you need two people for that.

Anyway, I need to finish the first season.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    But jesus christ, the music makes me loose my mind... it's really plucking my nerves. It makes me uneasy and hard for me to watch the show.
    i'm a huge Ben Frost fan so it's actually one of my favorite things about the show hahaha totally understand why you don't like it, though.

Spoiler: i feel like EVERYONE who was cast on the show for older/younger versions of the same character was done so impeccably, and all the people who are related actually have family resemblance. it's a masterclass in casting.

i ended up writing lyrics for the fourth song on my upcoming album and basing them on (the first two seasons of) the show. really happy with how they turned out.
    can't decide whether to call it "sic mundus creatus est" or "ariadne"

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Totally, Frost is great and the soundtrack for Dark is as well, but it just fucks me up. It really makes me uncomfortable and hard to enjoy the show. Nightmarish stuff, it just seems to hit a certain point in me.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'm still wrapping my head around the series finale

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    we have three episodes left. i really wanted to finish tonight but sarah usually goes to bed before 11 these days and even if we had watched the last three starting right after finishing the previous 2, we would have been watching til 1am haha

she said to me tonight "i can't wait until we're done with this show" not because she's not enjoying it, but because it's so straining on her brain. totally understandable.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    just finished the series. literally my only really issue with the whole thing was the choice of songs near/at the end of some of the episodes (some of them were totally fine). we actually had to mute the final episode while its song was playing because it was so out of place and awkward. woof.

the official website has some cool interactive stuff to follow people's timelines and is spoiler-free: you put in what season and episode you're on, and it doesn't give you any info past that point. really well done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    just finished the series. literally my only really issue with the whole thing was the choice of songs near/at the end of some of the episodes (some of them were totally fine). we actually had to mute the final episode while its song was playing because it was so out of place and awkward. woof.
    Agree, this was the only nitpick I have with an otherwise stellar series: the use of music with lyrics set to a montage to "wrap" up an episode was a bit formulaic in a mid 2000s "House MD" kind of way; clashed with the series' world building and feels more fitting to TV series which are episodic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Netflix 'Dark'

There is a fantastic German show on Netflix. I think 'Dark' rings many bells with you, right? It is as good as the Internet says it is. Incredible, twisted, full of 'oh sh**' moments, something that keeps you watch and won't let go before you watch the whole thing. Then you keep thinking about it, you keep questioning reality and you do a re-watch because of course you do! If it wasn't obvious, I wholeheartedly recommend it. The reason however, why I am writing about it here is that I think the show has Trent Reznor's vibes all over. I know he didn't produce the music for it but if someone told me he did (and he should have) I would believe in an instant. It would be a ridiculously good match!

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Some of you guys will enjoy this. Jakob Diehl who plays the Unkown in DARK has a music project that just released it's first outing, called TAUMEL. Their debut "there is no time to run away from here" is out on vinyl today.

It's a mix of Bohren & der Club of Gore with a little bit of drones here and there. Quite enjoyable and I'm looking forward to their next records which are about to be released sooner than later I was told by Diehl himself.

https://taumel.bandcamp.com/album/th...away-from-here