Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Niggy Tardust Instrumentals?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Niggy Tardust Instrumentals?

Trent Reznor's production on Saul Williams' "The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of NiggyTardust!" is pure genius.

Where can I purchase or download the full instrumentals? I can't seem to find them ANYWHERE! Thank you in advance for imparting your wisdom.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Aside from a few multi-tracks available on nin.com, the instrumentals were not commercially available.

A CD of the instrumentals WAS circulated a few years back for promotion that DID make it to torrent sites but they are rarely seeded and missing Convict Colony (which i would love to get my hands on)

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I think someone on here uploaded them somewhere last year, but for the life of me, I can't remember who.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Decaf View Post
    Trent Reznor's production on Saul Williams' "The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of NiggyTardust!" is pure genius.

Where can I purchase or download the full instrumentals? I can't seem to find them ANYWHERE! Thank you in advance for imparting your wisdom.
    Here you go:
    http://nindestruct.com/music/inst/Sa...rdust_inst.zip
    Last edited by Pyract; 02-03-2023 at 11:54 AM. Reason: updated link

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Pyract, you are the bomb! Thank you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone know where to snag this? That link doesn’t work any longer unfortunately.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slshrflm View Post
    Anyone know where to snag this? That link doesn’t work any longer unfortunately.
    Here you go:
    http://nindestruct.com/music/inst/Sa...rdust_inst.zip
    Last edited by Pyract; 02-03-2023 at 11:52 AM.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Still the bomb, Pyract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Forever grateful @Pyract !!

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Is Convict Colony still the only one unavailable?
    Last edited by Erneuert; 12-11-2022 at 05:14 AM.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Is Convict Colony still the only one unavailable?
    Just been re-listening to the record and CC struck me so much like The Collector with those drums (also by Dave Grohl, so yeah). Was Convict Colony the only song not to be released as an instrumental because it was so With Teeth-y and TR didn’t want the raw version of it out there?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    The reason Convict Colony is not on the promo instrumental CD for the following complicated reason: The purpose of this promo was for the music to be, hopefully, licensed for commercial use (i.e. soundtracks, etc). The original plan was to exclude "Sunday Bloody Sunday" (Track #4 on the album), as this track was written by U2 and the licensing of this track would only benefit U2. Whoever put this CD together, and had access to the whole intrumental album was likely instructed to not include Track #4 (Sunday Bloody Sunday). What happened next is that this album was loaded up and Track #4 was deleted. Unfortunately, the tracks were accidently re-arranged in alphabetical order, and with 3 tracks starting with "B", Convict Colony became Track #4 and removed.
    So, we accidently got Sunday Bloody Sunday instead of Convict Colony. I'm happy to have Sunday Bloody Sunday (NIN/U2 Karaoke!), but I wish they had accidently removed "Trigger" or "Scared Money" as Trent's input on those 2 songs were minimal, and they each/both have repeating samples (vocals, music) that repeat too many times for my taste, a quickly wear out their welcome.

Just been re-listening to the record and CC struck me so much like The Collector with those drums (also by Dave Grohl, so yeah). Was Convict Colony the only song not to be released as an instrumental because it was so With Teeth-y and TR didn’t want the raw version of it out there?

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by atomobile View Post
    The reason Convict Colony is not on the promo instrumental CD for the following complicated reason: The purpose of this promo was for the music to be, hopefully, licensed for commercial use (i.e. soundtracks, etc). The original plan was to exclude "Sunday Bloody Sunday" (Track #4 on the album), as this track was written by U2 and the licensing of this track would only benefit U2. Whoever put this CD together, and had access to the whole intrumental album was likely instructed to not include Track #4 (Sunday Bloody Sunday). What happened next is that this album was loaded up and Track #4 was deleted. Unfortunately, the tracks were accidently re-arranged in alphabetical order, and with 3 tracks starting with "B", Convict Colony became Track #4 and removed.
    So, we accidently got Sunday Bloody Sunday instead of Convict Colony. I'm happy to have Sunday Bloody Sunday (NIN/U2 Karaoke!), but I wish they had accidently removed "Trigger" or "Scared Money" as Trent's input on those 2 songs were minimal, and they each/both have repeating samples (vocals, music) that repeat too many times for my taste, a quickly wear out their welcome.

Dang. Informative!

I wonder if the Convict Colony instrumental is sitting on some other obscure disc somewhere. Would love to include it so we have the entire thing.

Anyone else replace the physical release version of NiggyTardust (song) with the original download version so you have the little vocal intro retained that was axed from the physical release? I did that.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by atomobile View Post
    I don't know why I didn't put that together, but that would make sense. I bought the EMI promo discs off eBay back in 2009 or 2010 and did the original rip and made scans before I (sadly) sold it back on eBay in 2012. Really wish I had held onto it.

Here are the scans I made:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I bought one on eBay back in the day (around $200?). Maybe I bought yours? As you can see on the printed track list, the tracks appear in album order and Sunday Bloody Sunday is not listed. The actual CD audio, as explained, has the tracks in alphabetical order. I always thought that was an interesting mistake. Reminds me of when they pressed a ton of "Halloween Theme" Trent/Atticus LPs with the "demo." My theory is that is wasn't a demo, but a finished, early version. When months went by and the 12" still hadn't been released, Trent probably decided to improve and expand the track and released THAT digitally and on the 12". But the record label FUp and used the early master by mistake. Otherwise, it makes no sense that the record label would have a demo of this track to release. But that's another story. Back to Saul Williams awesome album...

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Speaking of this material, aside from Skin Of A Drum being The March, have any of the other tracks been confirmed to be from Deviations 1 or anything like that?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Speaking of this material, aside from Skin Of A Drum being The March, have any of the other tracks been confirmed to be from Deviations 1 or anything like that?

When the album was released Saul & Trent did a write-up about each song. He mentions which songs used TR material from a disc trent gave him. I believe these can be found on nin.wiki under each song entry.

Here is a field guide to trent’s involvement in the inevitable rise & liberation of niggy tardust

Black history month (written by thavius, TR: programming/arrangement)
    Convict Colony (music by cx, saul & TR, beat taken from TR outtake)
    tr(n)igger (programed by TR)
    Sunday bloody sunday (arrangement by TR)
    Break (Music written by TR for Niggy)
    Niggy Tardust (part of song is a TR OUTTAKE. The rest is by CX)
    dna (music by thavius, owens & TR)
    wtf (music by TR & CX for niggy)
    Scared money (all saul)
    Raw (all saul)
    Skin of a Drum (TR OUTTAKE)
    No One Ever Does (TR OUTTAKE)
    banged and blown through (TR OUTTAKE)
    Raised to be Lowered (TR OUTTAKE except for CX’s bit)
    The ritual. (Written and recorded by TR for Niggy)
    Last edited by uroboros; 02-07-2023 at 01:10 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Okay, I can't find the original Niggy Tardust thread, so this will have to do..

I was wondering, if anyone has this.... And if they do, can you please tell me what the special B side song is called? And if trent has anything to do with it? Discogs has a post, but offers no information into the name or information on this extra track?

"Out of print on vinyl since it's original release in 2008, his 10th anniversary reissue includes a previously unreleased b-side and additional exclusive audio content, is pressed on black multi-color splatter vinyl, with printed inner sleeves featuring never-before-seen artwork by Angelbert Metoyer"
    Last edited by All_The_Spoils; 05-24-2023 at 02:30 AM.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by All_The_Spoils View Post

I was wondering, if anyone has this.... And if they do, can you please tell me what the special B side song is called? And if trent has anything to do with it? Discogs has a post, but offers no information into the name or information on this extra track?

"Out of print on vinyl since it's original release in 2008, his 10th anniversary reissue includes a previously unreleased b-side and additional exclusive audio content, is pressed on black multi-color splatter vinyl, with printed inner sleeves featuring never-before-seen artwork by Angelbert Metoyer"
    I think they just probably mean the b-sides already released, right? Like Pedagogue Of Young Gods, etc?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    To add to this:

The title track Niggy Tardust has a melody in it that was a Fragile outtake that made it onto Deviations (i think) as One Way to get there.

which also sounds a little like the high pitch synthy thing inthis Sex Dwarf demo from Closure at the .52 mark

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Might be referring to "Can't Hide Love", the Earth, Wind & Fire cover that they did. That was already on the CD version though, so not sure what they're referring to.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by azad_ninja View Post
    To add to this:

The title track Niggy Tardust has a melody in it that was a Fragile outtake that made it onto Deviations (i think) as One Way to get there.

which also sounds a little like the high pitch synthy thing inthis Sex Dwarf demo from Closure at the .52 mark
    This is why I decided the Soft Cell track and "One Way to Get There" needed to be mashed together: https://mega.nz/file/NNZgwD4L#o268CN...Tp3MQlgaHUgfUI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    now you need to mix in Danny's guitar bit from Closure

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by azad_ninja View Post
    now you need to mix in Danny's guitar bit from Closure
    Yeah, now that machine-learned separation is a thing I'd like to revisit and make it better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think this is the version you're referring to:

If so, this is the tracklist which I think is the standard extended version:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by explodey View Post
    I think this is the version you're referring to:

If so, this is the tracklist which I think is the standard extended version:
    Hi and thanks for the response. I'd love to see what those links say, but when I sign into google to open them, for some reason they don't load as anything buy big grey squares with '-' signs in the middle? Can anyone help me out? lol Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hi and thanks for the response. I'd love to see what those links say, but when I sign into google to open them, for some reason they don't load as anything buy big grey squares with '-' signs in the middle? Can anyone help me out? lol Thanks!
    Sorry about that! I have put the images here which hopefully works better!