Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Sexual Abuse/Assault in the News

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I wonder if this is why im Asexual

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I feel ashamed in being a man now. Why Lasseter? Why? Why did you have to be such a fuck-up?

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Great article here on the subject of the recent revelations and how we feel if it's someone whose art we enjoy.

What Do We Do with the Art of Monstrous Men?
    https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/...monstrous-men/

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Great article here on the subject of the recent revelations and how we feel if it's someone whose art we enjoy.

What Do We Do with the Art of Monstrous Men?
    https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/...monstrous-men/
    Wow, you weren't kidding, this article is SO GOOD. I love the way she writes. I like how she doesn't really try to answer this issue with any finality, but just explores all the complexities in a really honest way.

Also, that part in the middle where she analyzes the subtext of what's happening between Woody Allen and Mariel Hemingway in Manhatten is actually kind of incredible. I feel like she perfectly captured what's going in with these older men who go after really young girls.

Tracy’s face, Mariel’s face, is made of open flat planes that recall pioneers and plains of wheat and sunshine (it’s an Idaho face, after all). Allen sees Tracy as good and pure in a way that the grown women in the film never can be. Tracy is wise, the way Allen has written her, but unlike the adults in the film she’s entirely, miraculously untroubled by neurosis.

Heidegger has this notion of dasein and vorhandensein. Dasein means conscious presence, an entity aware of its own mortality—e.g., almost every character in every Woody Allen movie ever except Tracy. Vorhandensein, on the other hand, is a being that exists in itself; it just is—like an object, or an animal. Or Tracy. She’s glorious simply by being: inert, object-like, vorhandensein. Like the great movie stars of old, she’s a face, as Isaac so famously states in his litany of reasons to go on living: “Groucho Marx and Willie Mays; those incredible apples and pears by Cézanne; the crabs at Sam Wo’s; uh, Tracy’s face.” (Watching the film for the first time in decades, I was struck by how much Isaac’s list sounded like a Facebook gratitude post.)

Allen/Isaac can get closer to that ideal world, a world that has forgotten its knowledge of death, by fucking Tracy.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    https://pitchfork.com/news/backstree...cused-of-rape/

Fucking Christ, I am just tired of finding out people are possibly monsters

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Stay with me here, because you're probably going to want to take issue with some of my phrasing in the next line. It's possible that there may be one good thing to all of this....and you just have to read up this page to see it. Noticing a trend?

Guys everywhere are starting to go "WAIT, HIM TOO!?!???!" and "men are monsters" and "I'm embarrassed to be a guy".

This shows awareness. This shows that more men are starting to understand the problem that women face. Suddenly, it's easier for guys to see why #metoo exists. To get why women - yes, even smart, physically fit women - are still frequently cautious about walking anywhere alone after dark. To comprehend why women may be hesitant to believe that your honest and innocent flirting (or even just politeness) isn't something more sinister or leading to something dangerous.

Good. Guys are starting to see the scope of the problem. Now, use that knowledge. Start calling out your friends, family, colleagues, etc, when they say or do something incredibly sexist, demeaning, objectifying, and so on. Be the change. Endeavor to create an entire society in which women wouldn't even think for a second that they have to be on their guard at all times. Is it likely that such a society will ever exist? Sadly, I doubt it. But if we all start acting and behaving like it can happen, things will at least get better.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Stay with me here, because you're probably going to want to take issue with some of my phrasing in the next line. It's possible that there may be one good thing to all of this....and you just have to read up this page to see it. Noticing a trend?

Guys everywhere are starting to go "WAIT, HIM TOO!?!???!" and "men are monsters" and "I'm embarrassed to be a guy".

This shows awareness. This shows that more men are starting to understand the problem that women face. Suddenly, it's easier for guys to see why #metoo exists. To get why women - yes, even smart, physically fit women - are still frequently cautious about walking anywhere alone after dark. To comprehend why women may be hesitant to believe that your honest and innocent flirting (or even just politeness) isn't something more sinister or leading to something dangerous.

Good. Guys are starting to see the scope of the problem. Now, use that knowledge. Start calling out your friends, family, colleagues, etc, when they say or do something incredibly sexist, demeaning, objectifying, and so on. Be the change. Endeavor to create an entire society in which women wouldn't even think for a second that they have to be on their guard at all times. Is it likely that such a society will ever exist? Sadly, I doubt it. But if we all start acting and behaving like it can happen, things will at least get better.
    I agree with what you said in that we are not really taking enough accountability or responsibility for the abuse going on in the workplace and in the world in general. I have relatives that were also victims of sexual abuse and it's a really dark and traumatic thing to even just be aware of. I have no idea what it's like to go through it yourself. A lot of these people are scared and don't know where to go to for help. I believe it when people say it's happened. I find that men still find it ok to violate a woman's space and body just because of the culture we perpetuate. I do have to do take more action and responsibility. I feel like a piece of shit all the time when women call me out for being a man and not doing anything, and they are right.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    https://twitter.com/thatsjustgary/st...45721474002944

Gary Snyder‏ @thatsjustgary 4h4 hours ago

John Lasseter, formerly the head of animation for $DIS, has been banned from the lot in Burbank, from Emeryville, from Glendale, from all corporate locations. Per a source in corporate security @Disney, he has been - for all intents & purposes - trespassed. @sharonwaxman @TheWrap

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I think im starting to realize why I have a lack of knowledge when it comes to this sort of thing and I said it before very briefly. I'm Asexual...but in a weird way.

I'm still pansexual and i'm not opposed to having a partner but I'm asexual in the way that I do not care or have any interest in sex or naked woman/men. And I feel like because I don't get any arousal from it is where I fucked up on when I was trying to prove my points a few weeks back.

I realized that Asexual people are sorta uncommon, I don't know any famous asexual people that I'm aware of. and I feel like because of the lack of interest is where all the arguing from me came from. I didn't think that people had this bad of a sex drive and I figured people had better control of it, I wasn't aware that people had this bad of a sexual problem.

It's really troubling to see that people are actually like this, they can't control their libido and act like a human being. I thought this was common sense, but I guess I have more to learn about my own sex then I thought I already did. And I hope I'm not offending anyone more than I already had in the past few weeks ago, It's not what i'm intending to, i'm just trying to understand this sort of problem.

I just really hope no one I look up to appears on this page, I might die a little

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I'm glad all these gross people are getting outed daily. But at this point I am mostly glazing over every new name, simply b/c outside of the gov't people (Trump, Moore, Franken, etc), they hold no power on a societal scale and there are just too many much bigger things going on in the news. I can only focus on so much. And between the tax bill, net neutrality, Trump's racebaiting, all our foreign wars, etc., I just can't get jacked up about this as much. Keep speaking up though, absolutely.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    I'm glad all these gross people are getting outed daily. But at this point I am mostly glazing over every new name, simply b/c outside of the gov't people (Trump, Moore, Franken, etc), they hold no power on a societal scale and there are just too many much bigger things going on in the news. I can only focus on so much. And between the tax bill, net neutrality, Trump's racebaiting, all our foreign wars, etc., I just can't get jacked up about this as much. Keep speaking up though, absolutely.
    I dunno, I'd say big names in the entertainment world hold a lot of real power. It's at least just as real as a politician's power, and that's why we hear people moaning when a musician, actor, or athlete voices a political opinion... like "how dare they" use their unrelated power to effect political change. Power goes both ways though, and when you use it as a celebrity to leverage the expectation of sex due to that power, it's abuse.

Sure, it directly affects my life in a meaningless way when an actor or entertainer does this sort of shit, but power's power, and institutionalized abuse is abuse

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    I am mostly glazing over every new name, simply b/c outside of the gov't people (Trump, Moore, Franken, etc), they hold no power on a societal scale
    Are you kidding me? Being in a political office doesn't magically make you more powerful on a societal level. Yes, you have a direct hand in legislating. But guess what? Hollywood stars are NATIONAL icons who have tens of millions of fans across this country alone. These fans follow them on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. When these celebs tell you to vote for someone, it influences outcomes. When they tell you to buy shit, people buy it. It's why they get paid massive endorsement deals by corporations. Celebrities absolutely have societal power, and in many cases, much more power than most politicians. Who the fuck has ever heard of Roy Moore prior to the allegations?

You may not care about movie stars, but America as a whole does. Which means those stars have massive societal power.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    It's all bad.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    Oh please let the apologist progs and "feminists" keep trying to defend [Franken], please please please.
    To whom exactly are you referring when you say people identifying as progressive or feminist are trying to defend Franken? Hard-line Democratic Party insiders?

He is a celebrity AND a political figure, just like Trump, standing accused of multiple sexual assaults — and the media I've seen has framed it as such. Both their political parties are defending them, because that's what political parties do until there is sufficient outcry from their electorate. Please, everyone, demand that leaders in these positions step down. Set an example of how to do this.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Is Lena Dunham ever going to just go away?
    https://www.theguardian.com/culture/...sexual-assault

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Maher has been an out shitbag for years now, so that is the least surprising news of all time.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Everytime I try to articulate my feelings about the Al Franken shit my post ends up devolving into a dumb ramble about the two party system, which doesn't seem like it should be the focus, so I just delete everything I've written.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    Everytime I try to articulate my feelings about the Al Franken shit my post ends up devolving into a dumb ramble about the two party system, which doesn't seem like it should be the focus, so I just delete everything I've written.
    I think it's at least worth acknowledging that the accusations against him have been - by SOME - painted as a ploy to shift focus away from other people (to be fair though, I've mostly just been seeing this from randos on Facebook and not legitimate journalists). Goes to show that even something that should be as universally denounced as sexual harassment and assault can be belittled and painted as nothing more than a political ploy. Which, frankly, is disgusting to me.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Rep. Conyers steps down as ranking Democratic member of the House Judiciary Committee amid accusations of sexual harassment.

Let's see more hypocritical politicians (on both sides of the aisle) follow in his footsteps.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Mental gymnastics are the worst. Just be straight with it and admit there's a problem. No black and white here. For God's sake.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I really hope all this "coming out as having aspergers" doesn't put more shame on people who have it bad like I do....

Sure, I have poor social skills because of it, but I know well fucking better than to assault or harass someone. I've been accused many times of harassment, but I had no idea I was even doing it since they just never said anything about it.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I have Aspergers and I'm not very social at all yet I know what not to do. This is just a bullshit excuse.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    It is. Yes, I may not know what i'm doing sometimes but it's common fucking sense not to be a fucking asshole or a prick or at worse, physically assault, whether it was a sexual or non act. It's stupid and it's not gonna win you any favors blaming your act's on a mental problem that can be someone manageable or even out growable

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Matt Lauer fired by NBC news

Wow.

Detailed complaint received Monday night. Incident reviewed. By Wednesday morning, his firing was publicly announced on their own show. THAT, my friends, is how you handle accusations that have clear evidence. Gotta applaud NBC for taking the allegations seriously, reviewing them thoroughly and quickly, and acting immediately instead of trying to "come to an arrangement" or some bullshit (or even ignore them entirely....looking at you, Fox News)

edit: people are now largely rushing to his defense and spouting off the whole "it's a dangerous precedent to fire someone based on one accusation" spiel. Which is, in and of itself, true. But ironically, these people are now the ones making accusations that this wasn't warranted and that nothing was proven. And I'm having a very, very hard time believing that NBC would fire Matt Lauer over something that wasn't clearly proven, if not outright confessed, before even publicizing the fact that he had been accused of misconduct. In what world would a multi-billion dollar company fire one of their marquee names if they didn't have a damn good reason?

Last edited by theimage13; 11-29-2017 at 08:17 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Now Garrison Keillor Wtf

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    now garrison keillor wtf
    fucking hell what???!??!??!!

edit: goddamnit I need to be able to type in all caps here

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    https://twitter.com/ananavarro/statu...69957258309638

Ana Navarro @ananavarro · 5 hours ago
    Matt Lauer lost his job.
    Charlie Rose lost his job.
    Mark Halperin lost his job.
    Glenn Thrush lost his job.
    Billy Bush lost his job.
    Harvey Weinstein lost his job.
    Kevin Spacey lost his job.
    But in politics...
    Conyers still in Congress.
    Moore still running.
    Trump still President.

Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Now Garrison Keillor Wtf
    https://twitter.com/_cingraham/statu...28545183797248

Christopher Ingraham‏ @_cingraham
    Holy shit they didn't just fire Keillor, they're also scrubbing all the old Prairie Home broadcasts and *renaming the show* https://www.mprnews.org/story/2017/1...roper-behavior
    Last edited by allegate; 11-29-2017 at 12:28 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    https://twitter.com/ananavarro/statu...69957258309638

Ana Navarro @ananavarro · 5 hours ago
    Matt Lauer lost his job.
    Charlie Rose lost his job.
    Mark Halperin lost his job.
    Glenn Thrush lost his job.
    Billy Bush lost his job.
    Harvey Weinstein lost his job.
    Kevin Spacey lost his job.
    But in politics...
    Conyers still in Congress.
    Moore still running.
    Trump still President.

https://twitter.com/_cingraham/statu...28545183797248

Christopher Ingraham‏ @_cingraham
    Holy shit they didn't just fire Keillor, they're also scrubbing all the old Prairie Home broadcasts and *renaming the show* https://www.mprnews.org/story/2017/1...roper-behavior
    Good thing I've got them all saved...

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Jesus. We saw it live several times. It wasn’t JUST him.

Holy shit, indeed.

(Note that you can type in all caps if at least one letter is not in all caps.)
    Last edited by allegro; 11-29-2017 at 12:44 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    LIKE SERIOUSLY WHAT THE HELL???

ha