Thread: Sexual Asshatery in the News

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Mystikal’s New Record Deal May Allow Him to Post $3M Bail Before Rape Trial

http://thesource.com/2019/01/14/myst...re-rape-trial/

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Maybe I shouldn't be commenting on this yet because I haven't actually seen the ads. But here's what I've gathered just from headlines:

-Gillette comes out with ad saying toxic masculinity is just that, and asks guys to not be awful. I'm guessing nowhere in the ad does it claim that "literally all men are terrible and immediately need to become monks".
    -Toxic guys get super offended by it, starting screaming and crying that it's a "war on men" (fuck right off with that shit, losers), and promise to boycott P&G (good luck; go take a look at a list of every brand they own)
    -Non-toxic guys applaud Gillette for taking a corporate stance.

Is that about what's happening here?
    Probably, in a nutshell. But then you have Meghan McCain on The View today talking about how she doesn't agree with the ad, either. But I swear she's paid to take the opposite stance that most of the panel has for everything just for good TV blah blah.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Majority Report rip on Meghan McCain all the time. It's the best.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Well the UK has finally done something right and made Upskirting illegal.

...how and why it wasn't banned already probably tells you everything you need to know about the people in charge and how good* a job they're doing.

*fucking awful

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I wonder if Gillette ever attended a pool party. Like, the message is fine (not sure about the audience), but boy, some of it felt so out of touch it was just hard to watch and take seriously.

Mentioned
    354 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Maybe I shouldn't be commenting on this yet because I haven't actually seen the ads. But here's what I've gathered just from headlines:

-Gillette comes out with ad saying toxic masculinity is just that, and asks guys to not be awful. I'm guessing nowhere in the ad does it claim that "literally all men are terrible and immediately need to become monks".
    -Toxic guys get super offended by it, starting screaming and crying that it's a "war on men" (fuck right off with that shit, losers), and promise to boycott P&G (good luck; go take a look at a list of every brand they own)
    -Non-toxic guys applaud Gillette for taking a corporate stance.

Is that about what's happening here?

More or less.... there's also a contingent that feels it's obnoxious to have what feels like a corporation capitalize on their progressive values. To be fair though, that's nothing new. Pepsi has been the "voice of a new generation" for a while now.

Mentioned
    770 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    Probably, in a nutshell. But then you have Meghan McCain on The View today talking about how she doesn't agree with the ad, either. But I swear she's paid to take the opposite stance that most of the panel has for everything just for good TV blah blah.
    I saw that episode of The View and it was clear that McCain did not know what “toxic masculinity” means; she took it to mean “all masculine men are bad” or “men shouldn’t be masculine” and the other hosts on The View tried explaining it to her but then they went to one of the 500 obligatory commercial breaks. (There’s really only about 10 minutes of air time, the rest is all commercials.)

Other View host Sunny Hostin also didn’t get it because she went on and on about how she taught her son that it’s okay to cry.

What cracks me up (but I don’t respond because ... lol) are these guys on Twitter responding to it with “Toxic Female” comments, “What’s really wrong with society are women” [insert reasons here]
    Last edited by Cat Mom; Yesterday at 10:38 AM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    I saw that episode of The View and it was clear that McCain did not know what “toxic masculinity” means; she took it to mean “all masculine men are bad” or “men shouldn’t be masculine” and the other hosts on The View tried explaining it to her but then they went to one of the 500 obligatory commercial breaks. (There’s really only about 10 minutes of air time, the rest is all commercials.)
    I think a lot of men see it that way too. That Gillette is saying all men are bad. Poor guys are revealing themselves all over my Facebook timeline. Their fragile egos in pieces over a damn commercial. It’s food for thought not a life sentence.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I don't now if it's connected or not, and i honestly haven't made any comments on social media about the ad campaign at all, but within hours of this little controversy, Dollar Shave Club ads started popping up in my feed. I just found it to be ironic.