Thread: Sexual Asshatery in the News

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Mystikal’s New Record Deal May Allow Him to Post $3M Bail Before Rape Trial

http://thesource.com/2019/01/14/myst...re-rape-trial/

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Maybe I shouldn't be commenting on this yet because I haven't actually seen the ads. But here's what I've gathered just from headlines:

-Gillette comes out with ad saying toxic masculinity is just that, and asks guys to not be awful. I'm guessing nowhere in the ad does it claim that "literally all men are terrible and immediately need to become monks".
    -Toxic guys get super offended by it, starting screaming and crying that it's a "war on men" (fuck right off with that shit, losers), and promise to boycott P&G (good luck; go take a look at a list of every brand they own)
    -Non-toxic guys applaud Gillette for taking a corporate stance.

Is that about what's happening here?
    Probably, in a nutshell. But then you have Meghan McCain on The View today talking about how she doesn't agree with the ad, either. But I swear she's paid to take the opposite stance that most of the panel has for everything just for good TV blah blah.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Majority Report rip on Meghan McCain all the time. It's the best.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Well the UK has finally done something right and made Upskirting illegal.

...how and why it wasn't banned already probably tells you everything you need to know about the people in charge and how good* a job they're doing.

*fucking awful

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I wonder if Gillette ever attended a pool party. Like, the message is fine (not sure about the audience), but boy, some of it felt so out of touch it was just hard to watch and take seriously.

Mentioned
    362 Post(s)
    Maybe I shouldn't be commenting on this yet because I haven't actually seen the ads. But here's what I've gathered just from headlines:

-Gillette comes out with ad saying toxic masculinity is just that, and asks guys to not be awful. I'm guessing nowhere in the ad does it claim that "literally all men are terrible and immediately need to become monks".
    -Toxic guys get super offended by it, starting screaming and crying that it's a "war on men" (fuck right off with that shit, losers), and promise to boycott P&G (good luck; go take a look at a list of every brand they own)
    -Non-toxic guys applaud Gillette for taking a corporate stance.

Is that about what's happening here?

More or less.... there's also a contingent that feels it's obnoxious to have what feels like a corporation capitalize on their progressive values. To be fair though, that's nothing new. Pepsi has been the "voice of a new generation" for a while now.

Mentioned
    778 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    Probably, in a nutshell. But then you have Meghan McCain on The View today talking about how she doesn't agree with the ad, either. But I swear she's paid to take the opposite stance that most of the panel has for everything just for good TV blah blah.
    I saw that episode of The View and it was clear that McCain did not know what “toxic masculinity” means; she took it to mean “all masculine men are bad” or “men shouldn’t be masculine” and the other hosts on The View tried explaining it to her but then they went to one of the 500 obligatory commercial breaks. (There’s really only about 10 minutes of air time, the rest is all commercials.)

Other View host Sunny Hostin also didn’t get it because she went on and on about how she taught her son that it’s okay to cry.

What cracks me up (but I don’t respond because ... lol) are these guys on Twitter responding to it with “Toxic Female” comments, “What’s really wrong with society are women” [insert reasons here]
    Last edited by Cat Mom; 01-19-2019 at 09:38 AM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    I saw that episode of The View and it was clear that McCain did not know what “toxic masculinity” means; she took it to mean “all masculine men are bad” or “men shouldn’t be masculine” and the other hosts on The View tried explaining it to her but then they went to one of the 500 obligatory commercial breaks. (There’s really only about 10 minutes of air time, the rest is all commercials.)
    I think a lot of men see it that way too. That Gillette is saying all men are bad. Poor guys are revealing themselves all over my Facebook timeline. Their fragile egos in pieces over a damn commercial. It’s food for thought not a life sentence.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I don't now if it's connected or not, and i honestly haven't made any comments on social media about the ad campaign at all, but within hours of this little controversy, Dollar Shave Club ads started popping up in my feed. I just found it to be ironic.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    I don't now if it's connected or not, and i honestly haven't made any comments on social media about the ad campaign at all, but within hours of this little controversy, Dollar Shave Club ads started popping up in my feed. I just found it to be ironic.
    Intentional. Gillette is owned by P&G while DSC is owned by Unilever. They both hate each other and compete in all arenas.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Well this is surprising...to no one.

US singer Chris Brown arrested in Paris on suspicion of rape

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...picion-of-rape

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Maybe we can be done with him now? Sadly, I imagine this will be plead to a point where he won't suffer any real punishment.

Mentioned
    362 Post(s)
    I can’t believe people are flagging and reporting this video, so far successfully having it yanked from twitter... simply cuz it doesn’t work with the way people are politically invested to excuse it.

https://twitter.com/amoneyresists/st...624272384?s=21

ADDITIONALLY... there's people defending this kid because it can't be confirmed he's from Covington Catholic High School. For some reason, it seems pretty likely that he would be, and also, I don't understand why that's relevant. He's associating with them, and they're all there on some March for Life presumably? It's not about the school. This trip is supposed to be some pro-life gesture, and we have the teens laughing at rape jokes. It'd be more comforting to think this shit is contained in one shitty school.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 01-22-2019 at 06:08 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    I think a lot of men see it that way too. That Gillette is saying all men are bad. Poor guys are revealing themselves all over my Facebook timeline. Their fragile egos in pieces over a damn commercial. It’s food for thought not a life sentence.
    Look at these bozos crying about it, talk about completely missing the point.

Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Lmao @ that fuck having the audacity to say nObOdY wAnTs To Be LeCtUrEd tO.

Though the #NOTALLMEN shit is exactly how I would expect him to respond. I have no idea who the other dude is but yes, I am oh so sure that the discrimination (?) he faces for having a southern accent is 100% totally the same as what women go through every day.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    You underestimate the power of rich white men... I want to see Singer officially be done after this, but those who wield the power are going to have to make sure he really is. Otherwise, we're due for his redemption arc in a year or two.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    Lmao @ that fuck having the audacity to say nObOdY wAnTs To Be LeCtUrEd tO.

Though the #NOTALLMEN shit is exactly how I would expect him to respond. I have no idea who the other dude is but yes, I am oh so sure that the discrimination (?) he faces for having a southern accent is 100% totally the same as what women go through every day.
    A bit of a tangent - One thing that crossed my mind watching that, as someone FROM the Wichita, KS area: while you’ll definitely find “pockets of cool people” everywhere, you’re also gonna run into just as many closed-minded assholes. Whether one group outnumbers the other is impossible to say, sure, but it’s absolutely there. I knew plenty of people who stopped talking to me when they found out I was dating a girl with mixed heritage (these people were no longer my friends, btw). I walked around downtown Hutchinson (about 30 minutes from Wichita) all the time when I was younger and there were literally swastikas spray-painted on old sheds and the backs of buildings, all kinds of places if you go to some of the worse-off neighborhoods. Even I, as a shaved-headed white dude, felt uncomfortable being around that shit. Representative of the entire community? No way, because there are more people there that I have fond memories and ongoing friendly relationships with. But the shit is there, whether you want to admit it or not.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 01-23-2019 at 12:28 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'm way behind in this thread, but Obama's not 100% innocent

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheWiseJanitor View Post
    A bit of a tangent - One thing that crossed my mind watching that, as someone FROM the Wichita, KS area: while you’ll definitely find “pockets of cool people” everywhere, you’re also gonna run into just as many closed-minded assholes. Whether one group outnumbers the other is impossible to say, sure, but it’s absolutely there. I knew plenty of people who stopped talking to me when they found out I was dating a girl with mixed heritage (these people were no longer my friends, btw). I walked around downtown Hutchinson (about 30 minutes from Wichita) all the time when I was younger and there were literally swastikas spray-painted on old sheds and the backs of buildings, all kinds of places if you go to some of the worse-off neighborhoods. Even I, as a shaved-headed white dude, felt uncomfortable being around that shit. Representative of the entire community? No way, because there are more people there that I have fond memories and ongoing friendly relationships with. But the shit is there, whether you want to admit it or not.
    Fucking hell! Glad you aren't friends with those people anymore. It's kinda of the same in certain parts of the UK (well the south east), and unfortunately some people i'm related too (i'm 99% sure if i started dating anyone who wasn't female, white and spoke English as a first language all but my sisters would disown me...hell my mother has told me as much!)

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Sexual Asshatery in the News

Quote Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
    I'm way behind in this thread, but Obama's not 100% innocent
    What is your point in posting this? Obama apologized just hours after saying that but you don’t include that fact in your post. It’s almost as if he immediately understood the impact of what he was saying and made amends.
    Tell me how he’s “not 100% innocent”?

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    What is your point in posting this? Obama apologized just hours after saying that but you don’t include that fact in your post. It’s almost as if he immediately understood the impact of what he was saying and made amends.
    Tell me how he’s “not 100% innocent”?
    I'll save him the effort: he was trying to falsely equate "when a guy sometimes says one thing that's maybe kinda not great, realizes it quickly, and immediately apologizes" with "people who hold a lifelong toxic view of women as objects". Mercifully, smart people know the difference. Fox News viewers would see that clip and immediately deride Obama as being "worse than Trump" and scream for his public outing as a horrible misogynist.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    *COUGH*

And you know what? I'm fucking pissed about this because one of my favorite comic writers, Gail Simone, just did a great Red Sonja run. Fuck Bryan Singer.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Gail Simone is super underrated these days. Her Secret Six run was so much fun.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    TRIGGER WARNING

https://pitchfork.com/news/lady-gaga-gets-in-heated-fight-with-dr-lukes-lawyer-defends-kesha-in-unsealed-deposition/?verso=true

Lady Gaga's 2017 deposition in the Kesha / "Dr." Luke case has been unsealed.
    Last edited by ltrandazzo; 01-30-2019 at 01:52 PM. Reason: added a trigger warning because the testimony can get a little sensitive

Mentioned
    362 Post(s)
    TRIGGER WARNING

https://pitchfork.com/news/lady-gaga-gets-in-heated-fight-with-dr-lukes-lawyer-defends-kesha-in-unsealed-deposition/?verso=true

Lady Gaga's 2017 deposition in the Kesha / "Dr." Luke case has been unsealed.
    Dr Luke is guilty as fuck. This is something known and pretty much swept under the rug regularly in "polite professional" discourse.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Alright so, I'm a massive RA fan and this one fuckin' stings. Fuckin' hell...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Alright so, I'm a massive RA fan and this one fuckin' stings. Fuckin' hell...
    I am too. His music got me through a ton of tough times...this really really sucks. He's awful, they have a ton of receipts on what he did.

Mentioned
    778 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Ugh what a dick.