Page 38 of 57 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1687

Thread: Sexual Abuse/Assault in the News

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    What is your point in posting this? Obama apologized just hours after saying that but you don’t include that fact in your post. It’s almost as if he immediately understood the impact of what he was saying and made amends.
    Tell me how he’s “not 100% innocent”?
    I'll save him the effort: he was trying to falsely equate "when a guy sometimes says one thing that's maybe kinda not great, realizes it quickly, and immediately apologizes" with "people who hold a lifelong toxic view of women as objects". Mercifully, smart people know the difference. Fox News viewers would see that clip and immediately deride Obama as being "worse than Trump" and scream for his public outing as a horrible misogynist.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    *COUGH*

And you know what? I'm fucking pissed about this because one of my favorite comic writers, Gail Simone, just did a great Red Sonja run. Fuck Bryan Singer.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Gail Simone is super underrated these days. Her Secret Six run was so much fun.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    TRIGGER WARNING

https://pitchfork.com/news/lady-gaga-gets-in-heated-fight-with-dr-lukes-lawyer-defends-kesha-in-unsealed-deposition/?verso=true

Lady Gaga's 2017 deposition in the Kesha / "Dr." Luke case has been unsealed.
    Last edited by ltrandazzo; 01-30-2019 at 01:52 PM. Reason: added a trigger warning because the testimony can get a little sensitive

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    TRIGGER WARNING

https://pitchfork.com/news/lady-gaga-gets-in-heated-fight-with-dr-lukes-lawyer-defends-kesha-in-unsealed-deposition/?verso=true

Lady Gaga's 2017 deposition in the Kesha / "Dr." Luke case has been unsealed.
    Dr Luke is guilty as fuck. This is something known and pretty much swept under the rug regularly in "polite professional" discourse.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Alright so, I'm a massive RA fan and this one fuckin' stings. Fuckin' hell...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Alright so, I'm a massive RA fan and this one fuckin' stings. Fuckin' hell...
    I am too. His music got me through a ton of tough times...this really really sucks. He's awful, they have a ton of receipts on what he did.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Ugh what a dick.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    "The lawyer added that “if, in fact, this woman was underage, Mr. Adams was unaware.” He pointed to her performances in clubs and provided photos of Ava from that time, saying she looked “approximately 20.”

OH FUCK OFF! Someone 'looking' old enough doesn't mean they are!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Apart from anything else, since he was suspicious of her age and kept commenting about it (talking about her mum is a dead giveaway) he surely had a duty to properly check or not continue!

Imagine being a lawyer and having having to come up with all that disingenuous shite to defend the client

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I believe his lawyer also represents Bryan Singer.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Sicko!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    The other accusations against him are all things he could move on from if he layed low for a few years. But then you read about the 14 year old, and you realize that it's a wrap for him, at least professionally.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Given how i've always thought alot of indie rock band lead singers came across as "a bit creepy" to me, i imagine this'll be the tip of the ice-berg!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    Given how i've always thought alot of indie rock band lead singers came across as "a bit creepy" to me, i imagine this'll be the tip of the ice-berg!
    Hopefully Fall Out Boy can be cancelled and put out of our misery of having to hear their shite ever again. Stories about Pete Wentz abound on social media (when the Brand New stuff came out, the guy who asked the question on Facebook about Jesse Lacey was working for Fall Out Boy and a lot of women complained about that given what they knew about FOB)

Here's a Reddit thread about it
    https://www.reddit.com/r/brandnew/co...ted_a_15_year/
    Last edited by WorzelG; 02-15-2019 at 03:20 AM.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    I have liked some of his music but his behaviour is unconscionable. I had heard he was something of a jerk from someone who played in 1 of his bands for awhile but not at this level.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Yep, it's all falling apart for him now...

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...o-underage-fan

Albums shelved, associations cut, people are distancing themselves as far as possible from him.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    This is pretty damning too...he sounds absolutely awful.

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    Yep, it's all falling apart for him now...

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...o-underage-fan

Albums shelved, associations cut, people are distancing themselves as far as possible from him.
    Good. I've got to be honest I maybe heard one of his songs back in the early 2000's, but I'm sure it wouldn't ring any bells now. Subsequent to that I read a few articles about him being a dick at concerts and in other instances. It made whatever clout he had in the music business a complete fucking mystery to me.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Good. I've got to be honest I maybe heard one of his songs back in the early 2000's, but I'm sure it wouldn't ring any bells now. Subsequent to that I read a few articles about him being a dick at concerts and in other instances. It made whatever clout he had in the music business a complete fucking mystery to me.
    I just remember him getting really pissed off when people would yell requests for him to play "Summer of '69" at his shows

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    I just remember him getting really pissed off when people would yell requests for him to play "Summer of '69" at his shows
    Not gonna lie, I thought he was the Kevin Costner Robin Hood song dude for the longest time so I get it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Bit weird that the narrative is that Ryan Adams is some kind of genius? When was he ever thought of as a genius? He’s just a guitar based singer songwriter, only brought more mainstream by doing a ridiculous cover of an entire Taylor Swift album in a sad bid for attention! Just listened to some of his cover of Shake it Off and he makes a banger sound boring as fuck

i hope if that girl Ava reaches closure with this she thinks about playing bass again
    Last edited by WorzelG; 02-16-2019 at 05:17 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Bit weird that the narrative is that Ryan Adams is some kind of genius? When was he ever thought of as a genius? He’s just a guitar based singer songwriter, only brought more mainstream by doing a ridiculous cover of an entire Taylor Swift album in a sad bid for attention! Just listened to some of his cover of Shake it Off and he makes a banger sound boring as fuck

i hope if that girl Ava reaches closure with this she thinks about playing bass again
    Nah he was already more mainstream, albums like Heartbreaker and Gold won him the acclaim of a lot of people like Elton John, etc.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Nah he was already more mainstream, albums like Heartbreaker and Gold won him the acclaim of a lot of people like Elton John, etc.
    I had him in the same category as Conor Oberst. But, I was wrong; Oberst is whiney but I don't see him as a dick.

If you Google Conor Oberst right now (I wanted to know how to spell his first name), RYAN ADAMS comes up in the Top Stories.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I had him in the same category as Conor Oberst. But, I was wrong; Oberst is whiney but I don't see him as a dick.

If you Google Conor Oberst right now (I wanted to know how to spell his first name), RYAN ADAMS comes up in the Top Stories.
    Because the most prominent victim of Adam's abuse just put out a collaborative album with Oberst. It's pretty good.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Well Oberst was also falsely accused of rape a few years back.

ETA that I'm not saying Adams was falsely accused of rape. I meant "also" as in that's why his name may be associated with the Ryan Adams stuff.
    Last edited by Archive_Reports; 02-20-2019 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Clarification

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Adams was in a Dallas band called Whiskeytown back in the day, who had a long running public feud with my friends' band, the Old 97s.
    They've since PUBLICLY made nice, but...fuck it, nobody's gonna see this...at least two of the 97s still think Adams is a piece of shit.
    I found this (largely forgotten) song on Youtube; the 97s didn't crack the top ten until like 2013, and this was released in like 99 or 00. but I can confirm that it's DEFINITELY about Adams.

Here are some lyrics that MIGHT be telling :
    "
    You'll regret the things that you done
    One of these days you're gonna rue
    All the messed up things you do"
    "
    You'll hate your face when the morning shines
    On the mirror frame and your guilty mind."
    "
    And do the walls know what you done?
    And do they listen in on you?
    Do the walls know what you do?"

NOW, with these accusations, could the 97s genuine dislike for adams have stemmed from rumblings of sexual misconduct back in the day in texas?

I can't help but wonder, now. It wasn't one of those "fun" band feuds, at least not on the Old 97s side. They legitimately HIGHLY disapproved of him, for SOME reason.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    According to online sources, Whiskytown and Adams are from Raleigh, North Carolina (1994 - 2000).

Looks like Adams was just a dick: https://m.riverfronttimes.com/musicb...night-st-louis
    Last edited by allegro; 02-21-2019 at 05:18 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    According to online sources, Whiskytown and Adams are from Raleigh, North Carolina (1994 - 2000).

Looks like Adams was just a dick: https://m.riverfronttimes.com/musicb...night-st-louis
    The bastard played Dallas somewhat regularly in the 90s, and the feud was talked about so much, that I assumed he was local. He was also legendary for being a drunken asshole at Dallas shows (in general- not just making fun of Rhett and co.) So, yeah, the story you linked, along with pissing off local audiences and being similar bands, that COULD be it.

BUT: With both bands being part of what was then a microgenre, being on Bloodshot Records for a time, and being part of the same small scene, I STILL have to wonder if the 97's had heard accusations.
    I KNOW that song is aimed at him, and its theme of guilt is sort of creepy now.
    Last edited by elevenism; 02-21-2019 at 04:02 AM.