Page 13 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Sexual Abuse/Assault in the News

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Randazzo View Post
    I'm 100% ready to believe this woman. I am also 100% certain that she needs to be contacted and interviewed by a journalist so they can work on making her story credible. This appears to be similar to another story making the rounds from the same 2000 timeframe but with Happy Gilmore as the movie, so there is a trail there to follow.
    You articulated my thoughts much better than I did. I’m ready to believe her but there’s but there’s gotta be something more than an anonymous burner account without any corroborating information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    In a world where things like the Björk acid attack happened because a fan wanted to destroy her life, I'm never 100% ready to believe anything. I'm not saying that it's a lie, but I am saying that I have no more reason to believe it than not believe it. I'll wait and see what happens before I form a reaction.
    Last edited by zecho; 06-25-2018 at 05:02 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    This sucks. The accuser always gets the benefit of belief but I have to admit I don’t like people going to anonymous twitter accounts instead of through a journalist.

This. I find it hard to believe that it's legit, but I will not say it's bullshit. It sucks because I want to believe the victim, but I don't like how she went about it.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    This. I find it hard to believe that it's legit, but I will not say it's bullshit.
    Nothing surprises me anymore with any of the men I'm a fan of.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Man, it almost seems like you have to just assume that your favorite rockstars have sexually abused someone in their past nowadays.

That's fucking horrible to hear

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Sorry, but what does “CW” mean?...

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Sorry, but what does “CW” mean?...
    Content Warning

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Looking over the Reddit thread for this, my main takeaway is that people seem really surprised that rockstars have (consensual) sex with groupies. I’m actually surprised at the lack of a ton of flunkies rushing in to try and discredit the twitter poster.

My person position is basically that until we hear from Nardo, the band, a lawyer, or someone coming forward with corroborating information there’s nothing to do and I’m not gonna lose sleep over it.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Another one bites the dust

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Last edited by elevenism; 06-26-2018 at 01:07 PM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    All ill say is I remain Agnostic about this and leave it at that, dont wanna piss anyone off. Maynard is a very smart person, so im hoping this wasnt something he at least meant to do. Im curious how he is going to respond

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Doesn't matter if he 'meant to' rape, you guys, that's not how consent works.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    CW warning for rape: it's MJK:
    https://twitter.com/IWas17HeWas36/st...37544637067264
    ugh ugh ugh
    Re: tweet #4

I've been that guy (or in this story's case, woman) who gets sent out to hand a pass to someone. Rather, I've been asked to be that guy. I've had engineers point someone out in the crowd and tell me to go get them a pass. The implication seems to be that this person would be for us to share (yes, really). Because when I just stand there, not moving at all, the follow-up I get from the engineer is "what, are you gay or something?" I usually just shrug and say "or something". (spoiler alert: not gay).

I guess my point here is that I know for a fact that people will in fact be invited backstage at the request of someone in power, and for very specific reasons. I wish I didn't believe this story, but I absolutely do. I also wish that she'd felt able to get away from the situation before it escalated, but I do not blame her at all for not being able to. 17 year old girl (young woman) vs 36 year old man with martial arts experience and fame on HIS turf? I absolutely don't blame her for being frozen. This is why I advocate self-defense classes. Maybe it would have helped here. Then again, maybe it wouldn't have. But on top of the #1 way to reduce rape (which is to pound it into mens' heads to NOT FUCKING RAPE PEOPLE), giving women the confidence and skill to fight back is an important thing to do. Again, to be absolutely, positively clear, the woman is never at fault and it's 100% up to guys to not rape in the first place, but unless they magically stop doing it, I encourage people to do what it takes to standing a fighting chance.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Yeeeeeah, ok. I saw this coming. Out of morbid curiosity, I've read about what Maynard is like with groupies on groupie review sites and shit.They all said he was cold and detached and business like and just got down to it.

I've got some ideas here but they aren't very PC, so let's just say that I sure don't think MJK knowingly or purposely raped anyone.
    What part of "36 year old celebrity invites 17 year old girl onto tour bus and goes from 'let's watch a movie' to him fucking her while she sits paralyzed in fear" doesn't sound like knowingly raping her?

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    What part of "36 year old celebrity invites 17 year old girl onto tour bus and goes from 'let's watch a movie' to him fucking her while she sits paralyzed in fear" doesn't sound like knowingly raping her?
    Edit:
    Never fucking mind. I'm not doing this.
    Last edited by elevenism; 06-26-2018 at 09:27 AM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    groupie review sites
    wtf?

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    wtf?
    Yup.
    Take a look.
    It's pretty fucked up. It's women talking about the musicians (not the other way around) and will make you pretty sick.

Edit: here's one of them @r_z http://metalsludge.tv/the-long-and-s...s-penis-chart/
    Last edited by elevenism; 06-26-2018 at 10:58 AM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    post deleted
    Original post was deleted so I'll delete mine.
    Last edited by cdm; 06-26-2018 at 12:53 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    This is bullshit. "Don't get me wrong it's still fucked up" doesn't change the fact you use the rest of the post to basically excuse what is alleged because it was the "status quo."
    I wasn't excusing it.
    I said the man probably didn't consider it rape.

And I shouldn't have said anything. I'm not fucking arguing about it.

The last thing I will say on the matter is that it utterly baffles me that anyone is surprised by this.
    Last edited by elevenism; 06-26-2018 at 09:31 AM.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Jeeeeeesus

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    It'll be real interesting to see how people respond to this one.

Fucking awful.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I wasn't excusing it.
    I said the man probably didn't consider it rape.

And I shouldn't have said anything. I'm not fucking arguing about it.
    I'm not looking for an argument. I'm interested in a reasoned discussion. What makes you think he didn't consider it rape? He's got years of fame under his belt by that point; he knows he has power. He's talking to someone who's young; he knows they're more likely to experiment and risk regretting something later than simply saying no. He's forcing himself on someone who, by her account, clearly isn't reciprocating; he knows she's not really consenting.

If he doesn't know, then why not? There needs to be an answer to that - if not from you, from society at large. Because if a man honestly doesn't know whether what he's doing is considered rape, that's a really big and extremely scary problem. How does a guy not know the difference between consensual sex and rape? It's an important topic; please don't run away from it. If you can articulate on how this happens, then maybe we (as a society) can do something about making sure men understand what they're doing in the future. Can't solve a problem if you can't explain it in the first place. Help us solve the problem.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Holy moly....

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I'm not looking for an argument. I'm interested in a reasoned discussion. What makes you think he didn't consider it rape? He's got years of fame under his belt by that point; he knows he has power. He's talking to someone who's young; he knows they're more likely to experiment and risk regretting something later than simply saying no. He's forcing himself on someone who, by her account, clearly isn't reciprocating; he knows she's not really consenting.

If he doesn't know, then why not? There needs to be an answer to that - if not from you, from society at large. Because if a man honestly doesn't know whether what he's doing is considered rape, that's a really big and extremely scary problem. How does a guy not know the difference between consensual sex and rape? It's an important topic; please don't run away from it. If you can articulate on how this happens, then maybe we (as a society) can do something about making sure men understand what they're doing in the future. Can't solve a problem if you can't explain it in the first place. Help us solve the problem.
    Hey, I definitely might be wrong.

But I don't wanna do this publicly. PM sent.

It's basically just what @halo eighteen said, now that I see his post.
    Last edited by elevenism; 06-26-2018 at 10:13 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    This sucks. The accuser always gets the benefit of belief but I have to admit I don’t like people going to anonymous twitter accounts instead of through a journalist.
    Yeah, it always works out so well for the victim(s), with everyone believing them, and being proactive to help them seek justice. /sarcasm\

A victim should always get the benefit of belief, and this pertains to most of the stories coming out like this, even in the digital age bc someone used a anonymous account to rightfully protect themselves. I mean, why even report anything if you're the victim? Less than 4% of perps will actually spend a day in jail. So many wonder - whats the point of being questioned, disbelieved, blamed, and retraumatized during the reporting process? It could be 100% true, with a corroborated story on multiple news outlets and the victim(s) would still most likely be getting hate mail, and death threats etc.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Well, there goes that new Tool record.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I think the victim should ABSOLUTELY stay anonymous.
    Tool's fan base can be pretty rough.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Kind of hard to really even feel this accusation is credible when anyone can make an anonymous Twitter account and make such an accusation. In fact, last night in a 4chan thread, people were talking about doing one that accuses Trent. Internet is a dangerous game.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Fucking hell Maynard too?

I hate it when it's people who I really liked. But I guess that whole thing they say about power corrupting people is too much, even for the ones who made music we liked.