Page 56 of 57 FirstFirst ... 6 46 54 55 56 57 LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,680 of 1687

Thread: Sexual Abuse/Assault in the News

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    The Justin Roilland thing reminds me of John K, creator of Ren and Stimpy...except times have changed, and now we have the internet.

My whole family gathered around the tv to watch Ren and Stimpy. When John K. was unceremoniously fired from his own show, I bitched about it to anyone who would listen. I'd tell people to boycott the new episodes, and that the John K episodes were the only TRUE Ren and Stimpy.

YEARS LATER, I learned that he was "let go" for OPENLY having like, fifteen year old GFs and such.

It was kind of an open secret in animation land. Iirc, the levee finally broke when John started looking through his fan mail and finding underage female cartoonist/fans, and flying them out to LA, promising to further their careers, and then...you know.
    There are whole documentary length breakdowns of that situation on YouTube, now, of course.

There are parallels between the two shows if you think about it: ground-breaking, influential...contain sex jokes.

I damn sure felt like an idiot for defending John K. so vociferously all throughout high school, once I learned why he was actually separated from his IP.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    The Justin Roilland thing reminds me of John K, creator of Ren and Stimpy...except times have changed, and now we have the internet.
    When the news broke about Justin, it reminded me of John K. right away, too. I was also a huge fan of Ren & Stimpy growing up and the classic, older episodes were always my favorite. Both shows had their creator (in Rick & Morty's case, one of two co-creators) ousted from the show and continued on without them. At least in Ren & Stimpy's case, John K. didn't voice the main characters, though. We have yet to see how well this plays out for Rick & Morty, but Ren & Stimpy was never quite the same after John K.'s dismissal and I can't imagine Rick & Morty's fate will be much different.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    At least in Ren & Stimpy's case, John K. didn't voice the main characters, though.
    He voiced Ren actually. Billy West took over when he was fired.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    He voiced Ren actually. Billy West took over when he was fired.
    John K did the voice, but Billy West actually did Ren's screaming. Originally Billy was supposed to do both, but John K ended up doing Ren's voice because it was determined (I have no idea by who) that it would be too much for Billy. Billy did a good job taking over, John K's Ren had a bit more Peter Lorre in it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Interesting, I thought it was always Billy West! You learn something new every day.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Sometimes I feel like...damn. How do I put this, without angering anyone?

Cartoons have a sexual history, in general, from Tijuana Bibles, to Betty Boop, to Fritz the Cat, to the Disney Renaissance dirty easter eggs, to art one can buy at Furry conventions.

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that, with a cartoon, an artist can create anything. Reality doesn't matter: that's often the point.

And humans are driven by sex.
    So, for the above reasons, I feel like art of being a cartoonist has attracted some artists who aren't exactly model citizens.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...an-rachel-wood
    Ashley Morgan Smithline, one of Manson's accusers, is now claiming Evan Rachel Wood manipulated her into lying. I did not expect this development.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...an-rachel-wood
    Ashley Morgan Smithline, one of Manson's accusers, is now claiming Evan Rachel Wood manipulated her into lying. I did not expect this development.
    That may cast doubt onto two of his accusers, but aren't there still like ten others?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I hate the fact that everything has become so polarised now - I never approved of the circus that was the Depp / Heard trial and making it public and a big social media show.

The entertainment industry needs to clean up its act (both music and film) but it needs to be without reference to these big cases, particularly such old ones. I'm sure if the Manson stuff comes to nothing then the industry will feel able to carry on with however they've acted before which is quite sad. There needs to be some lines of command (do companies in music have HR? I've no idea) where you can report this and individuals shouldn't have so much power. But buggered if i know how to change anything. Are there groupies anymore? I find it hard to believe there aren't

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Not sure if this is the right place, certainly emotionally abusive, but that Steven Crowder is a cunt of a man. In this video his long suffering wife says she'll get him what he needs when what he needs is a punch right in his face.

https://yashar.substack.com/p/exclus...steven-crowder

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    "Hid his emotionally abusive behavior for years"

No he fucking didn't, if you've ever been unfortunate enough to watch one of his videos, you'll know that's his gimmick. Prove me wrong, indeed...

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Agreed. he’s been awful from the start. i did watch the video he made where he says over and over his wife is allowed to divorce by law in texas. the republican white men aren’t even hiding their contempt anymore. the amount of dudes on twitter being like “this 3 minute video of a couple arguing needs more context” is also telling. you don’t need to know anything about anyone to see what’s going on there. It’s emotional abuse period. defending it or asking for context tells me you’re an abuser too.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    Agreed. he’s been awful from the start. i did watch the video he made where he says over and over his wife is allowed to divorce by law in texas. the republican white men aren’t even hiding their contempt anymore. the amount of dudes on twitter being like “this 3 minute video of a couple arguing needs more context” is also telling. you don’t need to know anything about anyone to see what’s going on there. It’s emotional abuse period. defending it or asking for context tells me you’re an abuser too.
    If i just came across a woman in that state of pregnancy carrying heavy bags in a shop I'd offer to help, there's just no excuses for the way he was talking to her or making her run errands in that state (I'd think the same even if she wasn't pregnant but hopefully this will make some of the twats who listen to him change their mind). Also why has someone so rich and clearly sees himself as alpha male only got one car???

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Because if you only have one car, she has to ask to use it and you can say no every time. Classic control technique.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    That video pretty much sums up how he and all the other assholes like him view women. They exist only to be servants and babymakers and nothing more.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    That video pretty much sums up how he and all the other assholes like him view women. They exist only to be servants and babymakers and nothing more.
    If this is how Matt Walsh is to his trad-wife, I hope it gets to see the light of day like this too. I really can't bear him

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Hopefully this is the second step in the downfall, or at least dwindling popularity, of Crowder (first step was the absolutely terrible way he handled that Daily Wire contract negotiation....alot of his own fans' eyebrows were raised by that shit). Crowder is the only one of these new generation of right wingers on Youtube that scares me. He does have alot of followers, and b/c he can actually be funny sometimes (he certainly understands comedic timing alot better than his rivals), he appeals to/entertains a far younger & more impressionable audience than the rest of these freaks.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Surprised it didn't happen sooner. Larry Nassar stabbed multiple times in prison:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...assar-stabbed/

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    saw some people talking about how he's supposed to be safe in prison and that we shouldn't make light of the situation.

Not enough lol's for 280 characters

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    first I've heard about the allegations re: Till from Rammstein.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    saw some people talking about how he's supposed to be safe in prison and that we shouldn't make light of the situation.

Not enough lol's for 280 characters
    It's the intersection of wanting people to be held accountable for their actions but also not endorsing the failings of our horrific prison system

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Did not see one this coming at all. Danny Elfman accused of sexual harassment.

https://variety.com/2023/music/news/...nt-1235590343/

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    Did not see one this coming at all. Danny Elfman accused of sexual harassment.

https://variety.com/2023/music/news/...nt-1235590343/
    that’s because he did a good job keeping it secret. i honestly want to believe him but this part of the article says a lot.

categorized the email as “a provocative tagline that was meant to be a joke,” telling the publication that the substance was actually the moisturizing cream Cetaphil.
    wtf. highly inappropriate. definitely harassing to send that to someone you work with.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    What's this obsession with masturbating in front of people - it's foul!

According to this article, the world of film composing is particularly bad for harassment because its unregulated.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...rassment-metoo
    Last edited by WorzelG; 07-20-2023 at 07:49 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    This shit is ruthless. Never would have pinned Elfman with this stuff, but the payout thing speaks volumes.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Disheartening if true. I'd like to believe it's not, but the payout doesn't look good at all. If his lawyers do have "voluminous evidence", then they better get to sharing it.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    "...there are fears he might die."

Fears? Sick evil fuck.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    So, Russell Brand is another piece of shit, huh?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    So, Russell Brand is another piece of shit, huh?
    He always was a slimy grifter.