Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: JFK assassination

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

JFK assassination

Today is the day all those classified documents are released.

You think we will learn anything?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The Chicago mid-morning news today is saying Trump is still reviewing intel as to whether or not the info (that would be released) could compromise national security, so not sure if it will happen.

I guess the big info is something about Oswald meeting with Cuba and Russia in Mexico. There’s always been suspicion about Russian involvement related to the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    i don't think there'll will anything new if there was anything was long since been scrubbed just like 9/11 regular folks will never know what really happened. but i guess. it sells books so there's that
    -louie

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I don't think we will learn anything new. My cynical self is thinking that this is a big LOOK HERE LOOK HERE NEW JFK STUFF thing to distract everyone from all that is wrong in Trumpland.

I'm going to buy the 1,700 pages Vincent Bugliosi's brick about the assassination that I've been eyeing for a couple of years now and that'll be that.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Where the heck are the files already?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    You know that asshole is fucking waiting to release them at like 7pm prime-time or some shit.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    nothing to see here squirrel
    -Louie

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    I don't think we will learn anything new. My cynical self is thinking that this is a big LOOK HERE LOOK HERE NEW JFK STUFF thing to distract everyone from all that is wrong in Trumpland.
    This deadline was set 25 years ago. Cynical as I am, I don't think this particular move is a typical Trumpian distraction tactic.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Nah, they're not gonna tell us shit anyway.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    So basically this was just another fiasco for Trump. They are keeping a significant amount of documents under wrap.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    So basically this was just another fiasco for Trump. They are keeping a significant amount of documents under wrap.
    Trump has delayed it for six months while he’s having security people review it then will decide. It’s apparent that he thinks like a citizen then suddenly remembers (most likely after getting intel and warnings from advisors), “oh wait that’s right, I’m PRESIDENT hahahahahaaa never mind.”

In this case, the intel most likely relates to RUSSIA ...

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Trump has delayed it for six months while he’s having security people review it then will decide. It’s apparent that he thinks like a citizen then suddenly remembers (most likely after getting intel and warnings from advisors), “oh wait that’s right, I’m PRESIDENT hahahahahaaa never mind.”

In this case, the intel most likely relates to RUSSIA ...
    I'm amazed he remembered in time. Although it sounds like he had the higher ups of several security agencies screaming in his ear that there was stuff they might want to block out, so it's not like he remembered so much as he was struck about the head repeatedly with this information.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    It is amazing how you try to put this on that loony as well, haha. You are just a few steps from "I think Trump might've killed JFK, actually".

No president would reveal everything that would cause a drama about this again, so this "probably Russia" thing is pretty funny. First of all, it's a complete shot in the dark and just riding the "do you hate Trump too? XDDD" train, and it's not like - if it was true - some other president would just drop this shit on Russia to create world craze and bad relations. If the people who were aware of the content of those documents for decades did not do jackshit about it, then there is no reason to reveal them to the public.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    There was nothing in Al Capone's vault... but it wasn't Geraldo's fault

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    It is amazing how you try to put this on that loony as well, haha. You are just a few steps from "I think Trump might've killed JFK, actually".

No president would reveal everything that would cause a drama about this again, so this "probably Russia" thing is pretty funny. First of all, it's a complete shot in the dark and just riding the "do you hate Trump too? XDDD" train, and it's not like - if it was true - some other president would just drop this shit on Russia to create world craze and bad relations. If the people who were aware of the content of those documents for decades did not do jackshit about it, then there is no reason to reveal them to the public.
    I said “probably Russia” as a sarcastic joke but it could actually contain sensitive materials relative to Russia. We were still in the Cold War with Russia in 1963, and President Kennedy didn’t make any Russian or Cuban friends after Bay of Pigs and the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Kennedy was also behind the Vietnam coup in 1963: http://www.history.com/this-day-in-h...rals-plan-coup

He supposedly said he just wanted Diem out of power, he didn’t know they were going to KILL him.

And there was all that Kennedy and mob and labor union affiliation talk back then.

So conspiracy theorists in the U.S. have thought that Oswald killed JFK with Russia’s help,or the Mob killed him, or it was revenge for something else JFK did. So the more the papers are secret, the more the conspiracy theorists go nuts.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    everyone knows Hillary did it
    -Louie

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie_Cypher View Post
    everyone knows Hillary did it
    -Louie
    RIP JFK killed by emails

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    There was nothing in Al Capone's vault... but it wasn't Geraldo's fault
    True but it did make an ass out of Geraldo who continuously does so in the world of journalism.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    There was actually some pretty interesting stuff in there, like the part about the cia's journalist assets and the attempts to assassinate Castro.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Living in Dallas without a car, i walked through dealy plaza countless times and had a bus transfer right near the book depository damn near every day for years and years. Campisi's, a restaurant frequented by Ruby and mafiosos, and the Texas theater where they caught oswald were also both places that I walked past constantly. It kept the assassination always fresh in my mind when I lived there. There's actually a fucking 'X' on the street right where JFK was shot; i always consider it to be in bad taste. Experiencing all these historical places, regularly, on foot, was pretty cool. Also, I interviewed an eyewitness to the assassination for my college newspaper. He is visible in the zapruder sequence and convinced me that Oswald was the only shooter.
    BUT, I'm not so sure he was the only person INVOLVED. Perhaps we may get SOMETHING out of reading "between the lines" of these documents. At the very least, we now know that we've been asking a lot of the right QUESTIONS. Also, the very fact that Intel agencies asked for more time is damning in and of itself.

But I have a question: why hasn't the CIA already shredded these documents?
    Last edited by elevenism; 11-06-2017 at 01:47 AM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Last I heard he was hit in the nuts by an asteroid and died

http://www.clickhole.com/article/pie...rd-he-die-6306

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    BACK... and to the LEFT

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The guy fired a rifle from a window... in what way could the USSR have assisted him to that end

He was just a fantasist who craved importance, I still struggle to see it any other way.

It does seem a bit strange that jfks detail would allow someone with a long package into a building, but remember this is the government that can't even burgle a hotel

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    government that can't even burgle a hotel
    Office building. The DNC office that the plumbers broke into was in the office building in the Watergate Complex.

Most Americans don’t think these secret documents contain any revelations related to JFK’s death, but we DO think that the documents (reports in the investigation) include shit we ain’t supposed to see related to all kinds of OTHER stuff.

He was killed in 1963, and the building was not a government building, it was leased by a private school book distribution company and the top floors were unused and a mess and under renovation. Construction people were coming and going all the time.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-22-2017 at 12:05 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Sorry, did I say it was a government building or not in 1963?

I think it would be more about protecting sources than obscuring secret narratives. If there's a deeper connection between an involved party and the USSR... why on earth would cold war America want to cover that up? Surely any chance to portray the reds as malign puppet masters would be seized

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Sorry, did I say it was a government building or not in 1963?

I think it would be more about protecting sources than obscuring secret narratives. If there's a deeper connection between an involved party and the USSR... why on earth would cold war America want to cover that up? Surely any chance to portray the reds as malign puppet masters would be seized
    You wondered about security at the book depository; there was no reason to have it back then. No reason to question the activity.

I think if we had some covert operations in the Kremlin or Cuba and the FBI investigation touched on players in something top secret, and nobody expected that these documents would ever be released to the public, there could be some things the Government still doesn’t want us to know. Yes, protecting sources AND protecting covert operations and operatives.

Like, maybe something to do with this shit: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-13066561
    Last edited by allegro; 11-22-2017 at 12:26 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Ah come on, about a year after the most dangerous phase of the cold war, civil rights grievances from both sides bubbling over... No reason for tight security? Disagree. I just think they clowned it up that day

Agreed on the second part though, have to bear in mind that actors and methods in employ back then could still be active now

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Ah come on, about a year after the most dangerous phase of the cold war, civil rights grievances from both sides bubbling over... No reason for tight security? Disagree. I just think they clowned it up that day

Agreed on the second part though, have to bear in mind that actors and methods in employ back then could still be active now
    It was 1963, nobody had been picked off, yet. Sure, lots of Texans HATED JFK, but - really - there was NO reason to suspect an Assassination. He was in a CONVERTIBLE car. Hindsight is 20/20 but not always correct.

Second part, yes, is not only possible but likely.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm really sorry, I'm not spoiling for a fight here but there had been assassinations, attempts and executions carried out by both sides by this point in the cold war... various plots against Castro, the Rosenbergs etc

Although in terms of IR discourse you can make a good case for head of state assassinations between the two powers being mutually agreed as off-limits - the USSR immediately cabled Washington to deny involvement, and afaik were taken at their word