Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross Cover John Carpenter’s ‘Halloween’ Theme (2017)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Not really. The only instrumentation that's been changed is the main piano motif. Aside from that, I think most people listening to them in succession would be hard-pressed to note any differences between the two until the final minute, because the few changes I noted are really subtle.
    My vinyl is waiting for me at home and I'll be the final judge on everything since I've listened to the digital file almost every day for the last month (it's a weird thing, I know).

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    My vinyl is waiting for me at home and I'll be the final judge on everything since I've listened to the digital file almost every day for the last month (it's a weird thing, I know).
    If that’s weird, you’re in good company. When I listen to it, I usually play it like 3-5 times in a row. It’s amongst my all-time favorite Reznor tracks. Trent and Atticus fuckin’ nailed it. So glad to finally have it on vinyl.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Really regret not buying the orange one. Really worried the black one is going to sell out soon. This sucks!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xfocalinx View Post
    Really regret not buying the orange one. Really worried the black one is going to sell out soon. This sucks!
    Same. However, nin.com lists the orange one as limited edition and the regular black does not say anywhere that it is limited, so there's hope.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Yep, the vinyl version, IMO, has enough differences to warrant this as its own separate version (version 2.0, vinyl version, etc). The piano is what I would describe as sharper and less muted than the version released last year, some of the stringy sounding synth from the reprise of the main piano motif is missing, and the drum outro is completely gone and replaced with nary a sign of a beat at all. It's more implied by bouncing synthesizers than with any kind of percussion.

I... LIKE IT. I kind of like the idea of having two different versions of this reworking - one digital and one vinyl. Someone will need to rip the vinyl version properly for digital consumption, but this is kind of fucking cool.

Clip -

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I guess I prefer the digital one. So far every time I've listened to the vinyl for this, I'm left feeling cheated when the big finale doesn't actually happen. However, I definitely prefer the synth line in the vinyl version more than the Digital. I need a proper rip of this so I can cherry pick a new version in Audacity.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    For those who missed out on the orange vinyl (or black for that matter), Ed's Awesome sounds posted this earlier today, the link shows as sold out because he is waiting on confirmation that he will get them. So, its a long shot, but refresh the link tomorrow morning/afternoon like you are trying to buy NIN concert tickets or keep an eye on their facebook page.

"These finally popped up as available through my distros in the EU. I ordered a bunch this morning but I'm going to wait until I receive a confirmation tomorrow am before I offer them, just want to make sure, these are going for crazy prices on the auction sites.

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross John Carpenter's Halloween Theme Remix 12" ORANGE or BLACK Vinyl offered with free domestic shipping."

https://edsawesomesounds.com/product...17133160562803

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Good god, just when I was convinced to buy this vinyl, I read that it is a completely different version than the digital release via Sacred Bones Records last year? Come on, TR+AR! Multiple versions of everything. I love the deranged 5/4 dance beat at the end. Hmm.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    Good god, just when I was convinced to buy this vinyl, I read that it is a completely different version than the digital release via Sacred Bones Records last year? Come on, TR+AR! Multiple versions of everything. I love the deranged 5/4 dance beat at the end. Hmm.
    It's not completely different, but it has enough differences to warrant describing it as a different version from last year's release. There's a lot that's still the same, particularly what I shared in my Instagram post above.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Seems like nin.com was definitely the way to go for this. I’m jealous of everyone who received the vinyl already. Thought I’d order direct from the label bc the record would get shipped out quickly lol. Ordered within minutes of it going up, and have been watching and waiting as the vinyl sits in pre-shipment since the 21st? I really love Sacred Bones, but they are extremely slow with shipping - and it seems to be the norm for every single order through their site that I’ve done over the last few years from vinyl to merch.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    my amazon order originally had a December 3rd delivery date but it got moved up to Nov. 23. either way, its taking waaaaaaay to long to get it.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spahn View Post
    my amazon order originally had a December 3rd delivery date but it got moved up to Nov. 23. either way, its taking waaaaaaay to long to get it.
    Monday homie, Monday...

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nmitchell86 View Post
    Monday homie, Monday...
    Yep! Getting it in all its glorious orange

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Reznor/Ross cover was used in this imagined opening for David Fincher's Halloween. It's pretty awesome actually.

http://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/n...Fkc4Bp-3tTn7_g

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Anyone from Canada get there’s yet? I guess $15 shipping turns out to be UPS Mail Inovations which also means once local courier (Canada post) receive it to ship they don’t offer tracking.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Would you believe me if I'll tell that I haven't seen even one film from Halloween series, and never knew the original Carpenter's theme? So when the TRAR version was released, I immediately recognized the motif from... 'High Tech Low Life' by Die Krupps?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Would you believe me if I'll tell that I haven't seen even one film from Halloween series, and never knew the original Carpenter's theme? So when the TRAR version was released, I immediately recognized the motif from... 'High Tech Low Life' by Die Krupps?
    This blows my mind. Do you celebrate Halloween / have you ever gone into a Halloween store? This is as alien a concept to me as not knowing Tubular Bells or the Twilight Zone theme song. At least in America, these songs are inescapable.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    This is me, except I don't think I've heard the song anywhere. Never seen the films, haven't even bothered to check out TRAR's version because I don't know the original piece of music, so it will most likely mean nothing.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    when i placed my order (direct from sacred bones), i got one orange and one black copy of the 12" single

today, when i received my order, i got one orange copy of the 12" single, and one black copy...of the score for the new Halloween film (i already own the clear/orange "art edition"). i put an e-mail into sacred bones customer service but jesus christ how do you mix that up? it clearly states in my order what i'm supposed to receive.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    when i placed my order (direct from sacred bones), i got one orange and one black copy of the 12" single

today, when i received my order, i got one orange copy of the 12" single, and one black copy...of the score for the new Halloween film (i already own the clear/orange "art edition"). i put an e-mail into sacred bones customer service but jesus christ how do you mix that up? it clearly states in my order what i'm supposed to receive.
    Well I mean they're both called "Halloween", if a packer is going to mix anything up then two releases with the same title are quite likely I'd say

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    This blows my mind. Do you celebrate Halloween / have you ever gone into a Halloween store?
    Nope, and no. As a general rule, Halloween isn't celebrated in Eastern Europe. Sure we know about it, and some people, companies or stores do celebrate it but at much smaller scale comparing to North America and Western Europe.
    I also don't know the Twilight Zone theme (Tubular Bells I do know).

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Nope, and no. As a general rule, Halloween isn't celebrated in Eastern Europe. Sure we know about it, and some people, companies or stores do celebrate it but at much smaller scale comparing to North America and Western Europe.
    I also don't know the Twilight Zone theme (Tubular Bells I do know).
    Ah, I didn't realize you were in Eastern Europe. Yeah, in America (probably Western Europe as well) all three of those songs are so ingrained in the culture that I would imagine most people don't even know their origins, but EVERYONE knows the music, similarly to how everyone knows the Bridal Chorus, but practically no one has heard of Lohengrin, the play it's from. I'm sure there's similarly ubiquitous music in Belarus that I've never heard.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Holy shit.

WE SCREWED UP. The audio contained on the 12” pressing of Halloween released on Sacred Bones is a previous recording of the Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross version of the song, which differs from what was released digitally last year. A lacquer of the 'previous version' was cut and then scrapped, because Trent and Atticus decided that they could improve upon the recording. They went on to create the ‘definitive’ track that is available everywhere digitally. A MISTAKE WAS MADE when pressing the currently available 12”, and the ‘previous’ version was erroneously included. To correct this unforgivable error, we are reprinting the CORRECT version and will provide it to you free of charge. We are currently working on the repress. As of now, we are expecting these to ship in early 2019 and will update you soon on the delivery timeline. As a NIN.com customer, you do not need to take any additional steps to receive your replacement copy. The replacement offer includes those who purchased from other retailers. Customers may contact the point of purchase for information on how to obtain their replacement.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Whoops

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Repress is coming, the audio on the vinyl was an early version and not the final version (released digitally). Contact the retailer your bought it from, scared bones is looking to repress and ship in early 2019. If you bought it through them, you don't have to do anything, a free copy will be sent. Everyone else, needs to contact the retailer they bought it from.

Or see the above post...LOL

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I knew it didn't add up, to release an inferior version on vinyl didn't make any sense to me. Oh well! Enjoy your collector's items

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Nice! I was kinda bummed about those missing drums at first, but having both versions is going to be a real treat

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I read my email, and screamed. This is the third thing I've ordered off of NIN that I will have a second copy of because they screwed up. Just, wow. I actually like them screwing my stuff up, I get more

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Cue the limited, soon to be price gouged on eBay, edition in the NIN Historians archives.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Holy shit. I audibly gasped when I read the e-mail. Yay for two copies and two TRAR versions soon to be in my collection.