Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Orville

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

The Orville

I'm enjoying this show. One common complaint from critics is that The Orville doesn't know if it wants to be a comedy or a serious sci-fi show, but why can't it be both? It's not like MacFarlane's other shows, where the jokes keep coming; The Orville seems to go more for chuckles. The stories are actually quite good too. It's legit sci-fi.

And it feels more like Trek than Discovery does, tbh.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 01-17-2019 at 09:14 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Yeah, The Orville has been a pleasant surprise. The episodes strike a good balance of humor, sci-fi, and even drama. So far the show’s production generally feels like a throwback to mid 90s ST.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    Yeah, The Orville has been a pleasant surprise. The episodes strike a good balance of humor, sci-fi, and even drama. So far the show’s production generally feels like a throwback to mid 90s ST.
    The most recent episode, "If Stars Should Appear" could have absolutely been used as an episode of Star Trek (snark and violence aside).

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Oh hell yes, this show is awesome!

Seth's fandom for Trek really shines and i appreciate how meticulous the episodes have been right down to the shot framing. I really get a kick out of this show, even stuff that isn't necessarily funny i find myself having a fit over. I think there's some more subtle humor than the more obvious gags. Really great parody!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I rather enjoyed the last episode, Pria, but am confused. If they destroyed the worm hole and Pria will never come back in time in the first place, won't that mean she won't be there to save them from being destroyed?

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    I rather enjoyed the last episode, Pria, but am confused. If they destroyed the worm hole and Pria will never come back in time in the first place, won't that mean she won't be there to save them from being destroyed?
    Hahahaha fucking time travel, man i don't know.

I think because she had already altered events by saving them before the wormhole was destroyed the crew somehow got a reprieve in that time wouldn't reverse itself to course correct on their present existence, perhaps they're now in their own Kelvin timeline and they're actually dead in the Prime one lmao

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post

I think because she had already altered events by saving them before the wormhole was destroyed the crew somehow got a reprieve in that time wouldn't reverse itself to course correct on their present existence, perhaps they're now in their own Kelvin timeline and they're actually dead in the Prime one lmao
    That's the explanation I've heard but it doesn't make any sense.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post

Just saw the episode.

Is it possible that this could be a causal loop or a bootstrap paradox? For instance, what if the Orville was originally on a trajectory that wouldn’t have encountered the storm. But by traveling into the past and sending the distress signal Pria altered their course and set into motion a series of events which placed the Orville on a new trajectory fated to intersect with the dark matter storm and destroy the ship. If something like this were so, it could have been her presence altering the timeline that created the very event in the past that she traveled there to save the Orville from. Then by destroying the wormhole the causality loop ends preventing it from ever beginning in the first place and dooming the Orville and her crew. After all, we only have Pria’s word that the Orville is inevitably destroyed, but we never actually see the timeline play out without her interference, so how do we know it’s true? See graph below.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    But she wouldn't have gone to the past in the first place if the ship wasn't destined to be destroyed?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    But she wouldn't have gone to the past in the first place if the ship wasn't destined to be destroyed?
    Thus, the bootstrap paradox (or causal loop). Meaning that it may have been destined to be destroyed only because she traveled into the past and set it on that path, and her future self traveled into the past only because the Orville was destroyed, or so history recorded.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Enjoying this alot more than the current "star trek" discovery.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The latest episode where they impersonate the Krill was the best one yet.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Really digging this show. The subtle humor is great and it's a pretty damn good sci-fi show.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I just watched episode 7, Majority Rule, and spotted an extra who looks like Atticus. I scanned the rest of the crowd, and saw someone who might be Trent (but didn't see the face above the beard, so it's difficult to know if it's Trent). Spoiler: It was during the second voting session..... possibly Atticus in the first row of the audience, and possibly Trent a few rows above.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Majority Rule was really good. Interesting look at real world subjects like the influence of social media and the power of the court of public opinion.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Findus View Post
    I just watched episode 7, Majority Rule, and spotted an extra who looks like Atticus. I scanned the rest of the crowd, and saw someone who might be Trent (but didn't see the face above the beard, so it's difficult to know if it's Trent). Spoiler: It was during the second voting session..... possibly Atticus in the first row of the audience, and possibly Trent a few rows above.
    You sure about that?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Findus View Post
    Okay Findus, I took a clip of the scene and circled the faces you might have been referring to.

Was that the scene? If so I don’t think it’s Atticus and Trent, although some similar features.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Officially renewed for Season 2!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Okay Findus, I took a clip of the scene and circled the faces you might have been referring to.
    Was that the scene? If so I don’t think it’s Atticus and Trent, although some similar features.
    Yep.... that was the scene, and you did indeed tag the correct two audience memebers that I thought were Atticus and Trent.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Last night's episode was good stuff. The beginning with Bortus cracked my wife and I up big time.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Fucking hell that last episode was a lot of NOPE.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Yeah man....my wife wasn't a fan, hahaha. Spiders, clowns, and heights. It's like they knew hahaha...

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Finally caught up with episodes 9, 10, and 11. This show is gold.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Saw episode 12 tonight and oh man, that latchcomb scene caught me completely off guard. Both horrifying and hilarious all at once.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Saw episode 12 tonight and oh man, that latchcomb scene caught me completely off guard. Both horrifying and hilarious all at once.
    The poo drink bit killed me too.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Yeah, that was a great scene! I found the bit with Gordon's leg earlier in the season even more horrifying!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Season 2 will air 12/30:

https://wordofthenerdonline.com/the-...ore-than-epic/

Season 1 DVD (no Blu-ray?) will be released on 12/11.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Season 2 will air 12/30:

https://wordofthenerdonline.com/the-...ore-than-epic/

Season 1 DVD (no Blu-ray?) will be released on 12/11.
    Where is the bluray???

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Where is the bluray???
    Amazon lists only DVD....

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Where is the bluray???
    Amazon lists only DVD....
    Fox is notorious for being bastards to blu-ray releases. The discontinued The Americans on blu-ray after season 1 and stopped making It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia home releases altogether after season 10 (season 13 just ended on TV). They also ceased to release American Horror Story on blu-ray also (starting with Cult).

Fox home releases suck. Best off going digital no matter how much it sucks.