Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Orville

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Fox is notorious for being bastards to blu-ray releases. The discontinued The Americans on blu-ray after season 1 and stopped making It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia home releases altogether after season 10 (season 13 just ended on TV). They also ceased to release American Horror Story on blu-ray also (starting with Cult).

Fox home releases suck. Best off going digital no matter how much it sucks.
    I really don't understand why it would be released on DVD and not Blu-ray. I can understand releasing it on both formats, as not everyone has updated their system with a Blu-ray player, but to release it on the outdated, old format (DVD) and not Blu-ray just seems odd.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    I really don't understand why it would be released on DVD and not Blu-ray. I can understand releasing it on both formats, as not everyone has updated their system with a Blu-ray player, but to release it on the outdated, old format (DVD) and not Blu-ray just seems odd.
    Me and my friend (we both collect blu-rays for TV and film) argue about this non-stop. The cost and production of blu-rays is higher than standard DVD. Add that into the fact people aren't into physical media as much and you get a loss and no turn over profit. Not to mention you have older people and others who flat out don't give a shit about the quality and "see no difference" between DVD and blu-ray or don't even care what they buy (why eBay counterfeit DVDs still exist also).

I personally can't stand it, if I'm honest. It's especially hard when the show is masterfully shot and so dynamic in its picture quality but you get a lousy compressed DVD release.

I was hoping 10+ years later that DVDs would finally die or take less importance to home releases but boy was I wrong. They won't go away. It's not like blu-rays are THAT much more expensive compared to DVDs anymore either.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 11-08-2018 at 07:48 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I've been pleased with season 2 so far, four solid episodes. There definitely seems to be less emphasis on comedy, and it seems to be more straight sci-fi. I was surprised that Halston Sage left, but I was always sort of "meh" about her character anyway.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 01-17-2019 at 09:11 PM.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Yeah not as funny this time around but that's alright it's still entertaining as hell.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Episode 6 was absolutely wonderful!

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Me and my friend (we both collect blu-rays for TV and film) argue about this non-stop. The cost and production of blu-rays is higher than standard DVD. Add that into the fact people aren't into physical media as much and you get a loss and no turn over profit. Not to mention you have older people and others who flat out don't give a shit about the quality and "see no difference" between DVD and blu-ray or don't even care what they buy (why eBay counterfeit DVDs still exist also).

I personally can't stand it, if I'm honest. It's especially hard when the show is masterfully shot and so dynamic in its picture quality but you get a lousy compressed DVD release.

I was hoping 10+ years later that DVDs would finally die or take less importance to home releases but boy was I wrong. They won't go away. It's not like blu-rays are THAT much more expensive compared to DVDs anymore either.
    I've started to selectively buy 4k UHD titles. Very picky though. Those are spendy. The Matrix is amazing. The first 1 anyway. Haven't watched the other 2 & doubt I'll get them. It's possible though.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Holy shit tonight's episode was good. Can't wait to see how it's concluded.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Holy shit tonight's episode was good. Can't wait to see how it's concluded.
    They really got played eh? damn!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Wasn't it stated in a past episode that Isaac's humanoid form was specifically tailored so that the biological beings he was surrounded with in the Orville (most of which we've seen are humanoid) would feel more at ease? Yet in this episode it seems that this is the form used by all kinds of Kaylon units. I'm nitpicking of course, especially for a mostly lighthearted series like this, but still, wasn't that the case? Or am I remembering it wrongly?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    They really got played eh? damn!
    I was expecting a very TNG ending, with Isaac being moved by the drawing the kid made him and telling the other Kaylons that he was staying with the Orville--then it went all Battlestar Galactica.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    That previous episode was really sweet. And the B-story with Klyden and Bortus's smoking addiction was funny as hell

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Z View Post
    That previous episode was really sweet. And the B-story with Klyden and Bortus's smoking addiction was funny as hell
    I’ve been wondering when their first real “holodeck episode” would come, and how they’d handle it. It was well done and kind of reminiscent of TNG episode Booby Trap, with Geordi and the hologram of Leah Brahms.

And yes, Bortus and Klyden are gold.

Edit: I guess Firestorm could be considered the first real holodeck episode.
    Last edited by Dr Channard; 03-27-2019 at 10:17 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Z View Post
    The falling in love with a holodeck character has been done before on Trek, but this was still very well done.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    That episode was fucking beautiful.

I initially thought the premise was going to be silly in a good way, but I didn't expect to have my heartstrings pulled through the wringer.

Probably my favorite episode by far.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Wow. As a trans person that also knows some intersex people, this episode brought me to tears multiple times. That moment when Bortus shows Topa the infant and says "She is not so different from you or I" was just so wonderful and I wish every person would be taught this regarding gender minorities or any minorities at all. And Bortus's smile at the end was lovely as well.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I just saw the episode with Bortus and Klyden's smoking addiction, i am fucking dead~!

It completely reminded me of my parents who always fight over cigarettes, jesus when he opened the pillow case and dumped out his stash WAHAHAHAHAHA

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Err. So did Kelly retain her memories? Is the future altered?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Err. So did Kelly retain her memories? Is the future altered?
    Apparently she did and I'm guessing this led to the timeline branching off from that moment. I think it's the only way this can allow for what we have seen so far (and what everyone remembers) to have actually happened. If we're trying to be logical about time travel that is.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The Orville will be back for season 3.https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/the...ox-1203188078/

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The Orville will be back for season 3.https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/the...ox-1203188078/
    But on Hulu. Apparently production is gonna take too long so it’ll be late 2020 and for some reason FOX balked at that. Seth just announced this at SDCC.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    But on Hulu. Apparently production is gonna take too long so it’ll be late 2020 and for some reason FOX balked at that. Seth just announced this at SDCC.
    Disappointed to hear this. I don't understand FOX. How many shitty TV shows will they be debuting in place of The Orville that will only last one season?

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Soooo... any ETA for the Hulu season? Have they not resumed production and finished at all over the course of the pandemic?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Soooo... any ETA for the Hulu season? Have they not resumed production and finished at all over the course of the pandemic?
    Official account tweeted out a pic. Season 3 filming officially starts today.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Started this show over the break. I like it, my son likes it, but my wife doesn't think it's funny enough. She also has a thing where she doesn't like Seth so I think that's part of it.

The third episode...wow. That felt like a late season episode, not something you hit people with in the first three episodes.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

So we finally have a date for the new season, March 10th, 2022.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Now, June 2.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

Waiting and waiting, always waiting.