Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tom Petty

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    There's supposed to be an announcement on Tom Petty Radio on Serius XM tomorrow morning at 6:00 AM PDT/9:00 AM EDT. All of the Tom Petty social media accounts posted a little Wildflowers video, so pretty safe to assume that's what's being announced. Excited!!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Comes out October 16th

A little bit bummed there's no hi-res/surround mix that comes along with this, but not surprised either. Buried deep beneath my Twitter is a response from Benmont Tench about his opinion on 5.1 mixes and it wasn't positive.

But this looks good regardless. Might spring for the 5-CD version.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I'm super pumped for this release and have been waiting for it for well over five years! I can't decide which configuration I want, though. I want that final disc of alternate versions (Finding Wildflowers), but I'm not sure I want to spend so much to get it. I've also considered getting the 5CD version as that's cheaper than the 9-LP version, but I can't help but think that if I'm going to invest in a physical medium, I should add to my small, yet slowly growing vinyl collection. I don't actually own a decent turntable yet and the only CD-player I own is the one in my car. I'll be listening to the digital files for the foreseeable future. At least I've ruled out the super deluxe $500 option. Decisions, decisions....

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I'm super pumped for this release and have been waiting for it for well over five years! I can't decide which configuration I want, though. I want that final disc of alternate versions (Finding Wildflowers), but I'm not sure I want to spend so much to get it. I've also considered getting the 5CD version as that's cheaper than the 9-LP version, but I can't help but think that if I'm going to invest in a physical medium, I should add to my small, yet slowly growing vinyl collection. I don't actually own a decent turntable yet and the only CD-player I own is the one in my car. I'll be listening to the digital files for the foreseeable future. At least I've ruled out the super deluxe $500 option. Decisions, decisions....
    I echo this entire post, word for word.

"what do you want for Christmas?"

Tom Petty.jpg

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Since this thread has been resurrected, I can confirm that my $250 9LP box set was probably worth the price and some of the songs on this release are so amazing and beautiful that I shed a few tears on more than one occasion. I have some deep personal connections to this album, so for me, it almost felt like a gift from Tom from beyond the grave and filled me with overwhelming emotions (of both joy and sadness). Yesterday would have been his 70th birthday. Three years since his untimely death, it's a wonderful treat to have some "new old stock" songs to discover for the first time (and new takes/spins on others I know well and have spent decades listening to). RIP Tom!
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 10-21-2020 at 02:43 PM.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Since this thread has been resurrected, I can confirm that my $250 9LP box set was probably worth the price and some of the songs on this release are so amazing and beautiful that I shed a few tears on more than one occasion. I have some deep personal connections to this album, so for me, it almost felt like a gift from Tom from beyond the grave and filled me with overwhelming emotions (of both joy and sadness). Yesterday would have been his 70th birthday. Three years since his untimely death, it's a wonderful treat to have some "new old stock" songs to discover for the first time (and new takes/spins on others I know well and have spent decades listening to). RIP Tom!
    How do you feel about the 9th LP, the Finding Wallflowers one? Are any of those versions superior to what ended up on the album?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Exactly this. the 9LP set is very well put together. I almost usually re-sleeve the records and keep them separate from the set to reduce wear, I don't think that's necessary here. Haven't dug into them yet, but really happy with the amount of content they released here.

Edit: 6.4 GB of FLAC goodness [drool]
    Last edited by ekrekel; 10-21-2020 at 10:23 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    anyone listened thru the Finding Wildflowers part yet? I've always loved this album, started spinning it again in heavy rotation back when this set was announced and boy it holds up as one of the greats. Have listened thru the All the Rest, Demos, and live stuff on streaming quite a bit since it came out and I think I might purchase a set (CDs) but $100 more for the 5 disc set... don't know if i can justify that. online reviews aren't giving me much as far as helpful info for making the decision to spend 3 times as much for 20% more music. obviously the book looks nice, wonder if it's just larger format than the liner notes with the 4 disc. the litho and tour flyer etc don't do much for me.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    How do you feel about the 9th LP, the Finding Wallflowers one? Are any of those versions superior to what ended up on the album?
    Quote Originally Posted by talkingnothing View Post
    anyone listened thru the Finding Wildflowers part yet? I've always loved this album, started spinning it again in heavy rotation back when this set was announced and boy it holds up as one of the greats. Have listened thru the All the Rest, Demos, and live stuff on streaming quite a bit since it came out and I think I might purchase a set (CDs) but $100 more for the 5 disc set... don't know if i can justify that. online reviews aren't giving me much as far as helpful info for making the decision to spend 3 times as much for 20% more music. obviously the book looks nice, wonder if it's just larger format than the liner notes with the 4 disc. the litho and tour flyer etc don't do much for me.
    I've only listened to most of Finding Wallflowers once or twice so far. It's nice to have Girl on LSD and You Saw Me Comin', which aren't included in the original album or All the Rest. Cabin Down Below (Acoustic) and House in the Woods (Alternate) are really cool too, but I don't think any of the alternate versions surpass their original album counterparts. It's impossible not to be biased here though, I've literally spent 25 years listening to those versions. The Home Recordings are more interesting to me – those are beautiful and very intimate, often quite moving. The live disc is great, too! I love hearing Tom's banter between the songs. I love his voice so much, I could listen to that man read the phone book (remember those??).

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I've only listened to most of Finding Wallflowers once or twice so far. It's nice to have Girl on LSD and You Saw Me Comin', which aren't included in the original album or All the Rest. Cabin Down Below (Acoustic) and House in the Woods (Alternate) are really cool too, but I don't think any of the alternate versions surpass their original album counterparts. It's impossible not to be biased here though, I've literally spent 25 years listening to those versions. The Home Recordings are more interesting to me – those are beautiful and very intimate, often quite moving. The live disc is great, too! I love hearing Tom's banter between the songs. I love his voice so much, I could listen to that man read the phone book (remember those??).
    I just realized we both typed "Wallflowers" instead of "Wildflowers." Nineties rock on the brain, much? Haha.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    I just realized we both typed "Wallflowers" instead of "Wildflowers." Nineties rock on the brain, much? Haha.
    I copied the album title from your question when writing my reply, but I do love Bringing Down the Horse quite a lot, too!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    FYI: They're releasing Finding Wildflowers on stand-alone vinyl. https://store.tompetty.com/products/finding-wildflowers

I suppose this will be kind of disappointing to those that picked up the 9LP set to get this but I'm glad I held out. Grabbed the gold version and I'll probably add the 7LP set at a discount to round out the set. Unsure if the stand-alone is 180 gram, as was the case with all the set LPs.
    Last edited by cdm; 03-11-2021 at 10:43 AM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    FYI: They're releasing Finding Wildflowers on stand-alone vinyl. https://store.tompetty.com/products/finding-wildflowers

I suppose this will be kind of disappointing to those that picked up the 9LP set to get this but I'm glad I held out. Grabbed the gold version and I'll probably add the 7LP set at a discount to round out the set. Unsure if the stand-alone is 180 gram, as was the case with all the set LPs.
    That's me. I bought the 9LP set when it dropped back in October, but it is nice that the book is hard cover in that version. I bought my parents the 7LP version for Christmas. I am tempted by the gold vinyl because I love colored vinyl (I have the transparent blue Full Moon Fever), but I've spent enough money on Tom Petty vinyl for quite a while.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    That's me. I bought the 9LP set when it dropped back in October, but it is nice that the book is hard cover in that version. I bought my parents the 7LP version for Christmas. I am tempted by the gold vinyl because I love colored vinyl (I have the transparent blue Full Moon Fever), but I've spent enough money on Tom Petty vinyl for quite a while.
    I don't blame you on the disappointment. The 7LP isn't a hard cover?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I don't blame you on the disappointment. The 7LP isn't a hard cover?
    Nope, the 7LP's booklet is softcover. I specifically remember cringing while watching my dad intentionally crease the front cover immediately after opening it so that it would stay open. Another driving force behind my decision to get the 9LP was that it was supposed to be more limited. Funny thing is, when I went to buy the 7LP before Christmas, it was sold out at most of the record stores in Minneapolis, but they all had the 9LP in stock. I guess the extra two LPs didn't justify the price tag for most people.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Nope, the 7LP's booklet is softcover. I specifically remember cringing while watching my dad intentionally crease the front cover immediately after opening it so that it would stay open. Another driving force behind my decision to get the 9LP was that it was supposed to be more limited. Funny thing is, when I went to buy the 7LP before Christmas, it was sold out at most of the record stores in Minneapolis, but they all had the 9LP in stock. I guess the extra two LPs didn't justify the price tag for most people.
    This is good to know...thanks. I almost jumped on a 7LP set that had "minor wear" to case. I'll have to scope it out in person before I take a chance.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I've only listened to most of Finding Wallflowers once or twice so far. It's nice to have Girl on LSD and You Saw Me Comin', which aren't included in the original album or All the Rest. Cabin Down Below (Acoustic) and House in the Woods (Alternate) are really cool too, but I don't think any of the alternate versions surpass their original album counterparts.
    Finding Wildflowers is out today and I fucking love it. Maybe it's recency bias but this sounds so vibrant, especially Cabin Down Below. I gotta compare the tracks this weekend. Goddamn Wildflowers is such an amazing collection of music.

As an aside, during covid a bunch of friends started doing a rock n roll book club via zoom...we just read the Petty biography by Warren Zanes and I can't recommend it enough. I grew up with his music but I never really knew much of the backstory so it was a good crash course in the history of Tom & The Heartbreakers, Mudcrutch, & The Wilburys.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    @cdm I'm not sure if you're aware, but they're releasing a reworked version of the She's the One soundtrack called Angel Dream for Record Store Day on June 12. This will basically complete the Wildflowers era by assembling the tracks from She's the One (songs for which were recorded during the Wildflowers sessions) and omitting the songs already included on Wildflowers and the Rest to avoid redundancy, along with four previously unreleased tracks (including two covers). Full announcement is below:

Angel Dream is a special reimagining of the album She’s The One to celebrate the 25th anniversary of its original release. This also brings to a close the celebration of Tom Petty’s masterpiece Wildflowers, as most of the songs on this album were recorded during the same time period. She’s The One included some songs that were left off the original Wildflowers album, recently included in the Wildflowers & All The Rest re-issue. To take the place of those songs, four previously unreleased songs have been added here – two Petty originals (“105 Degrees” and “One of Life’s Little Mysteries”), a cover of JJ Cale’s “Thirteen Days”, and the instrumental “French Disconnection”. An extended version of “Supernatural Radio” is also included. The album has been remixed & remastered and brand new cover art commissioned – emphasizing that this is a Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers album, rather than a soundtrack album. This very special version for RSD Drops is pressed on cobalt blue vinyl.
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 04-16-2021 at 09:28 AM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    @cdm I'm not sure if you're aware, but they're releasing a reworked version of the She's the One soundtrack called Angel Dream for Record Store Day on June 12.
    WAS NOT aware of this...thank you!

Edit: @sonic_discord I'm noticing Rhino is releasing this (not WB) and there isn't any mention on Petty's website. Did they scoop up the rights to the soundtrack and related works at some point? Is the family / bandmembers involved? I hope the quality is worthy of the material.
    Last edited by cdm; 04-16-2021 at 09:47 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I've been on a Tom Petty kick lately. I've always been more of a greatest hits kind of fan, but I'm trying to take a deep dive.

I picked up the Live at the Fillmore set. The AMG gives it 4.5/5 stars.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    I've been on a Tom Petty kick lately. I've always been more of a greatest hits kind of fan, but I'm trying to take a deep dive.

I picked up the Live at the Fillmore set. The AMG gives it 4.5/5 stars.
    I started out as a greatest hits kind of fan, too, but there are SO MANY fantastic and underrated deep cuts throughout his entire discography that you almost can't go wrong. If you're interested, I can give a few recommendations for albums to listen to in full.

Tom Petty solo albums:
    Wildflowers (this is probably the first one I'd recommend. If you like it, check out Wildflowers & All the Rest, which includes the rest of the songs that were originally meant to be released as a double album.)
    Full Moon Fever (probably his most successful album, loaded front to back with banger after banger)

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers albums:
    Into the Great Wide Open
    Damn the Torpedoes
    Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers (self-titled)
    Echo (a more somber album made during his divorce, but the songs are amazing)
    Hypnotic Eye (his final album that IMO was the best thing he'd put out since Echo)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I started out as a greatest hits kind of fan, too, but there are SO MANY fantastic and underrated deep cuts throughout his entire discography that you almost can't go wrong. If you're interested, I can give a few recommendations for albums to listen to in full.

Tom Petty solo albums:
    Wildflowers (this is probably the first one I'd recommend. If you like it, check out Wildflowers & All the Rest, which includes the rest of the songs that were originally meant to be released as a double album.)
    Full Moon Fever (probably his most successful album, loaded front to back with banger after banger)

Into the Great Wide Open
    Damn the Torpedoes
    Hypnotic Eye (his final album that IMO was the best thing he'd put out since Echo)
    I agree on all of the above (especially Echo, phenomenal album)...my recommendation is start at the beginning and just run through his combined Heartbreakers and solo discography. There's just so much amazing shit beyond the singles. You really can't go wrong. His soundtrack to She's The One is great. Playback is a boxed set with a couple of discs of bsides and unreleased stuff. Once you get through all of that check out Mudcrutch and Wilburys if you're not already familiar.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    His soundtrack to She's The One is great.
    YES! I forgot to mention that one.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)

Tom Petty solo albums:

Into the Great Wide Open
    Damn the Torpedoes
    Tom Petty's discography is great; my favorite album is "Wildflowers"

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I just picked up Wildflowers a few weeks ago, 30 years late. Great album.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    I just picked up Wildflowers a few weeks ago, 30 years late. Great album.
    Better late than never!! And like I said, if you enjoy that album (it's my favorite), be sure to check out the expanded version.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    If you're a subscriber I'd also recommend Tom Petty Radio on SiriusXM. They really do a good job of mixing in the well known singles with the lesser known catalog. Several of the Heartbreakers are involved with various shows; some good, some so-so (Stan Lynch has a brand new show and, shit, is that dude long-winded...typical drummer). What I love about it the most are the replays of Tom hosting his Buried Treasure show, which was basically an hour of him playing "rock, rhythm, and blues from his record collection". He was such a funny dude and his humor really shines through.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I'm a pretty big fan of "Hard Promises". It was kind of a bridge to future records.